Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

gidget wrote: »
    Was reading the American obituaries the other day, one of the deceased had a grandchild called Irish

Just thought of an American I know called Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I didn't know that, but i recently heard Anthony Head's daughter was in the Inbetweeners!

She plays Carly. I cant stand Carly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

amtc wrote: »
    A good friend of mine called her only child Gobnait. It is a family name but still.

Wow! I honestly thought Gobnait was a 'made up' name from from the far wesht, from famine times/ from the pages of Peig. I'd put Concepta & Consumpta in the same bracket as Gobnait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wow! I honestly thought Gobnait was a 'made up' name from from the far wesht, from famine times/ from the pages of Peig. I'd put Concepta & Consumpta in the same bracket as Gobnait.

I know a girl with a sister called Concepta. I also know a Gormlaith in her mid thirties!

Marian Finucane was just interviewing somebody named 'Moncon'.

What kind of a name is Moncon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Is he the guy who used to do travel shows on TG4?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Came across another name today in the American Obituaries.

One of the deceased had a grandson called Glock!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Keish. What the actual fcuk is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

amtc wrote: »

A good friend of mine called her only child Gobnait. It is a family name but still.

Some parents can just sleep-walk into ignorant and unknowing cruelty & stupidity.

This is one such case.

Poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cath54

D'kodagh - poor unfortunate baby girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I know a Nigerian called Tiny.

She ain't tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A Tory MP has named one of his children Sixtus, which is his sixth child.......

Bosco.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A Tory MP has named one of his children Sixtus, which is his sixth child.......
    That was prominent man-of-the-people, Jacob Rees-Mogg who named his sixth child "Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg":

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/05/jacob-rees-mogg-announces-birth-of-his-sixth-child-sixtus

Sixtus will not be standing out that much as his siblings are named Peter Theodore Alphege, Mary Anne Charlotte Emma, Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan, Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam and Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Down at Inchydoney beach a couple of weeks ago, I saw a toddler wearing a jersey with the name "Maverick" on the back. I thought it might be a nickname but no, his parents were calling him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Down at Inchydoney beach a couple of weeks ago, I saw a toddler wearing a jersey with the name "Maverick" on the back. I thought it might be a nickname but no, his parents were calling him that.

You'd have to wonder if both parents actually agree on the name or if one insists on it or what way it works.Each to their own and all that but names like that will always raise eyebrows and be remarked on imo..it's unfair on the child unless theyre extremely confident,I think it's attention seeking by the parents tbh.

Fachtna.

Its just sounds so guttural.
    Nightmare for the child as she grows up and lives anywhere outside Ireland. Actually, even inside Ireland it can spark debate as to the correct pronunciation.

Irish names like that one^ cause chaos in peoples linguistic heads
    Con, I just hate Con (abbreviation or not) I just think it sounds awful as a boy/Man's name.

Con artist, it's a con, you've been conned etc come to mind.....
    Irish names with the obscure spellings. Aoadbha, Caoimhseach, Concobharagh, or names like those with difficult spellings/pronunciations

Fachtna.

it's like a cross between feck, fack & foch ... na :(

Its a con, you've been conned, swindled etc ....

Then the question is, what is con really short for? is it always Cornelius, or might it be short for Conor, Connor or Connell? Or maybe the child is just called Con, full stop?

I can think of better kids names than Con.

Pronounced La-leisha, or is it Layleisha?
    Gobnait, Gobnet, Gobinet...

Just sounds so Gobby.

Gobnait yuk

I always associate Sadhbh with Scythe, an old fashioned implement for cutting long grass.
    Too close to Faecal for my liking.

Oriel (now 48 years of age) and to this day people still call him Aerial.

It's more than pathetic how you pop up in every thread to feign some harmless ignorance that always transpires to be one of your West Brit digs at Irish culture/language/independence. As shown in the above posts your obsessiveness is almost matched by your repetitiveness.

To take your most recent display of cultural bigotry against the Irish tradition, Manchán, to any Irish person whose head is not completely colonised by the English tradition, has a very obvious connection with 'manach', monk, which is found in numerous placenames from Fear Manach (Fermanagh) to Baile na Manach (Monkstown) to Sant Manchán of Mohill or any of the many other saints of the name. That you think it's a badge of honour not merely to sneer at it but to be ignorant of the tradition which the vast majority of Irish people come from speaks volumes for your character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Bluebell Madonna......

Geri Halliwell's kid

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thor and Tiger. Just heard those today.

It's more than pathetic how you pop up in every thread to feign some harmless ignorance that always transpires to be one of your West Brit digs at Irish culture/language/independence. As shown in the above posts your obsessiveness is almost matched by your repetitiveness.

Oh dear, where to start :(

So if you actually analyse & reduce the Irish names (I don't like) it boils down to; Fachtna, Con, Gobnait, Aoadbha, Concobharagh, Moncon, & Caoimhseach, Bosco, Asumpta & Cocsepta.

.....but then again you might list Irish names which I personally do like, which would include Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh & Liam.

Surely the whole point of the name thread is down to personal choice?

You obviously have a problem with me Fuaranach, so I'll say no more apart fom this comment of mine which I posted in this recent Thread titled. "Things you love about Ireland".
    The people, scenery, fresh air + the fact that it's relatively peaceful .....

Nice country to bring up children.

and for this, I also got 4 thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My husband has suggested Indy (after Indiana Jones) if we have a boy. I'm still not sure if he's serious or not and I also don't exactly hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

bee06 wrote: »
    My husband has suggested Indy (after Indiana Jones) if we have a boy. I'm still not sure if he's serious or not and I also don't exactly hate it.
    Or for race fans. :)

Indy500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It sounds like a girl's name to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Heard little Selma being called to "get back here" yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If you want yr little boy to get bullied in school call him Indy.
    The poor kid will get an awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If you want yr little boy to get bullied in school call him Indy.
    The poor kid will get an awful time.

He can stand in the corner with all the other kids with terrible names. By the sounds of it there's a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Heard some nice names on a farm I visited last week,Dawn the cow,Molly and Belle the two ponies,Arthur the bull and "get down you little f...er",the boy that got up on the tractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Far from the worst tbh.

Different but not mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Indy/ Indi appears to have become quite common, but I have only heard it for girls. We considered it for a while until I heard someone on Home and Away with that name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

My sons name, we love it. Not after Indiana Jones though. I am curious why you posted it in this thread though if you 'don't exactly hate it' ?

Advertisement