Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Cynthia. A bloke called Cynthia.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

If you want yr little boy to get bullied in school call him Indy.
    The poor kid will get an awful time.

I really wonder about the kind of person that assumes a child will get bullied over his name. Everywhere we go people love my sons name (Indy) ... tbh the kind of person that would bully a child over his name is the kind of person I'm teaching my son to dismiss in life. He's nearly 4 now and surrounded by Jacks and Leo's, I'm glad he has a different name. His older brothers also have different names and they are extremely popular in school and around where we're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

fima wrote: »
    I really wonder about the kind of person that assumes a child will get bullied over his name. Everywhere we go people love my sons name (Indy) ... tbh the kind of person that would bully a child over his name is the kind of person I'm teaching my son to dismiss in life. He's nearly 4 now and surrounded by Jacks and Leo's, I'm glad he has a different name. His older brothers also have different names and they are extremely popular in school and around where we're from.

I got bullied as a child and still get smart arse remarks from adults over an unusual name. Not a difficult name, just different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ah Indi from Home And Away. Grand aul doll. Very ratty and a brutal resting b*tch face but it goes with the territory I guess. Nice name, short for Indigo isn't it? Couldn't see it as a name for a man though. Might be cute to see a boy named it but when he's a grown man I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My sons name, we love it. Not after Indiana Jones though. I am curious why you posted it in this thread though if you 'don't exactly hate it' ?

Because firstly, my husband is talking about naming our child after Indiana Jones and secondly, I was expecting it would get strong reactions like it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

bee06 wrote: »
    Because firstly, my husband is talking about naming our child after Indiana Jones and secondly, I was expecting it would get strong reactions like it did.

I've been waiting for it to appear in this thread on some shape or form for years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I've been waiting for it to appear in this thread on some shape or form for years

A few of the names I have in my head have appeared too. You can't please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just heard of an Irish couple who are calling their child...Victoria. As in the Famine Queen. Jesus. Everybody (well, the polite ones!) is saying "Oh that's lovely" followed by a general eyes raising up at the notions of the two of them. Major cringefest.

Ah ha, it took me a while, but now I see where you're coming from. No wonder you're so tetchy about those names I don't fancy! (See post 4043).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's more than pathetic how you pop up in every thread to feign some harmless ignorance that always transpires to be one of your West Brit digs at Irish culture/language/independence. As shown in the above posts your obsessiveness is almost matched by your repetitiveness.

To take your most recent display of cultural bigotry against the Irish tradition, Manch to any Irish person whose head is not completely colonised by the English tradition, has a very obvious connection with 'manach', monk, which is found in numerous placenames from Fear Manach (Fermanagh) to Baile na Manach (Monkstown) to Sant Manchof Mohill or any of the many other saints of the name. That you think it's a badge of honour not merely to sneer at it but to be ignorant of the tradition which the vast majority of Irish people come from speaks volumes for your character.

Anyone who uses the phrase "West Brit" should be put on the ignore list.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

bee06 wrote: »
    My husband has suggested Indy (after Indiana Jones) if we have a boy. I'm still not sure if he's serious or not and I also don't exactly hate it.

"Ain't nothin' like a piece of pu**y - 'cept maybe the Indy 500" - Biloxi Blues

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know someone who works with kids and a few months ago he told me one of the little girl's names was Rihanna.

Anyone who uses the phrase "West Brit" should be put on the ignore list.

Yeah, well, it's invariably the West Brits who like to deny the accuracy of the description. It's a fantastically precise description of an entire cultural cringe mentality still extant in Ireland, ranging from John Bruton to that poster. Deny away though.

Yeah, well, it's invariably the West Brits who like to deny the accuracy of the description. It's a fantastically precise description of an entire cultural cringe mentality still extant in Ireland, ranging from John Bruton to that poster. Deny away though.

Hmm as opposed to the cultural and linguistic fascists who insist that their version of Irishness is the only valid version and it needs to be imposed upon everyone for their own good.

Hmm as opposed to the cultural and linguistic fascists who insist that their version of Irishness is the only valid version and it needs to be imposed upon everyone for their own good.

Of course. Because the Irish culture haters are such enlightened, open-minded sorts who scream "cultural fascists" (how creatively English of you; "cultural imperialists", and imperialism generally, of course do not have the same negative connotations in the English language for very understandable reasons) when their incessant attacks on Irish culture are called for the bigotry that they are.

If the people you're bizzarely defending were all such confident, open-minded types they wouldn't feel the need to spend so much of their time telling the rest of us how awful Irish culture is. Lastly, you should perhaps learn the difference between identity and culture before continuing to defend the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I know someone who works with kids and a few months ago he told me one of the little girl's names was Rihanna.

I know of an irish Rihanna who is in her late teens, maybe early 20s at this stage, so she wouldve had that name long before it was made famous. I believe the name does have some celtic origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Noo wrote: »
    I know of an irish Rihanna who is in her late teens, maybe early 20s at this stage, so she wouldve had that name long before it was made famous. I believe the name does have some celtic origins.

Naaahhh mate. Rhiannon maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I wonder would make you happy if I swapped my likes for my dislikes? Here goes Furanach...

Best kids names I might include*

Fachtna, Con, Gobnait, Aoadbha, Concobharagh, Moncon, & Caoimhseach, Bosco, Asumpta & Concsepta.

Worst kids names might include*

Siobhan, Tara, Patrick, Mylo, Cillian, Dermot, Enda, Maeve, Aidan, Darragh, Liam (& Rhiannon).

Surely the whole point of the name thread is down to personal choice? Must I conform to your likes Furanach? And anyway you're getting far too deep with your "West Brit" Famine Queen psycho babble.

Cheers 4 now, and maybe try to lighten up :-)

* = just for Furanach.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You keep touting Mylo as a good name Lord Sutch. It's absolutely sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: How in the world have we gotten to people calling each other West Brits for choices of names they don't like?

Enough of that, it's just as much a personal dig and insult at other posters as any other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Michael Owen your dinner's ready

• Advertisement

Adding another vote for Gobnait. It's just such an ugly collection of letters. Also "Barry". Just don't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesus yeah, imagine a lovely little baby boy coming into the world. What shall we call him?

"Barry".

Sounds like it should be short for Barold or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesus yeah, imagine a lovely little baby boy coming into the world. What shall we call him?

"Barry".

Sounds like it should be short for Barold or something.

Finnnnnnbaaaaarrr

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Greg.

Not an unusual name, and well suited to an adult man.

But who the hell looks at a baby and names it Greg.

Noo wrote: »
    Greg.

Not an unusual name, and well suited to an adult man.

But who the hell looks at a baby and names it Greg.

I feel exactly the same about the name Eamonn! A baby Eamonn should be born wearing a flat cap.

I feel exactly the same about the name Eamonn! A baby Eamonn should be born wearing a flat cap.

And a little Aran jumper. High-class baby Eamonns are born with a silver pipe in their mouths too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't like the name Dwayne. It just looks like the D shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I don't like the name Dwayne. It just looks like the D shouldn't be there.

I know of a Dwaine. It really bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I know of a Dwaine. It really bothers me.

Deklan ..another ridiculous spelling imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Today I met 3 sisters called Tia, Mia and Leah :D

Advertisement