Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

at least anybody reading that can pronounce it straight away.

It also is not a very long name, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I know twins called Sonny and Cher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sam34 wrote: »
    I know someone who called her daughter "neveah", pronounced ne- vay- ah, because it's "heaven" spelled backwards.

did you mean "nevaeh"?

pretty ridiculous either way

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

copperhead wrote: »
    a friend of mine recently called his son ziggy !!!

You could be called Myles Long or Jack Frost. I do know a guy called Neill Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Sh1thead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Lukah, Autumn and Madison all in the same family. The worst part is the father is the biggest culchie going, but the mothers obviously got her head in the clouds :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

bluewolf wrote: »
    did you mean "nevaeh"?

pretty ridiculous either way

oops, yes I did. sorry!
    still totally ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭beckman

I know of two sisters called Caoimhe and Ciara...now I'm open to correction here but I thought Caoimhe was the irish for Ciara...??if so then its quite funny.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

sam34 wrote: »
    oops, yes I did. sorry!
    still totally ridiculous!

the reason i asked was because the correct spelling ends in -eh which makes the -ah sound even sillier
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Alphonsus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

beckman wrote: »
    I know of two sisters called Caoimhe and Ciara...now I'm open to correction here but I thought Caoimhe was the irish for Ciara...??if so then its quite funny.....
    Ciara is an Irish name, the English version is Kiera. Caoimhe is the female version of the name Caoimhin. Caoimhin is Irish for Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can probably guess my names is Irish! I've never minded spelling it and have been dealing with international companies for years.

Its actually a reason to use an irish name. I knew a guy called Ultan, and when we lived in england he'd come home from work we'd always have a laugh at the latest bad pronunciations of his name. And that's not even a hard one to pronounce

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Caoimhe is the female version of the name Caoimhin.

both can be shortened to cao. ( ka-ow )

better sometimes to pick a name that cannot be shortened like that

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭beckman

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Ciara is an Irish name, the English version is Kiera. Caoimhe is the female version of the name Caoimhin. Caoimhin is Irish for Kevin.

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Conail should be pronounced Cunnal, unless there's a fada on the o, in which case it would be Cone-al.
    [/Quote]

Connell is also an accepted pronunciation. My son was Connell (as in that spelling) but my friend still insisted on calling him cunall. Suppose that bugs me more, when you tell someone a name and they still say it back to you wrong![/QUOTE]

Well if ye spell it Connell then it should be pronounced that way in fairness! It's like Orla should be pronounced oar (like the thing on a boat)-la, but loads of people insist on pronouncing it "or-la". Or Colm should really be pronounced "Cul-m" but people say "Col-m". People will often put their own twist on things! I know someone called Caomhán and they pronounce it Caymen, kinda like the Cayman islands. Now that's just daft!

gigino wrote: »
    both can be shortened to cao. ( ka-ow )

better sometimes to pick a name that cannot be shortened like that

I've never heard of that before... But the "Cao" of Caoimhe or Caoimhín isn't even pronounced as "Ka-ow" so why would you call them that for short?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Xeron (pronounced zeron).
    He was named after a star apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Some of the giving of allegedly Irish names to kids is the parent(s) publicly reinforcing their self-appointed Gaeilgeor status, so you see a string of kids with exclusively "As Gaeilge" names, some of which are fatuous, such as Realtin (little star) or Saoirse (freedom), which effectively condemns that kid to a lifetime of spelling out and explaining the origin of their name, all because of a parent's vanity. On the same scale, you get Irish people giving their kids names of an English origin (James/Edward/Sarah) because of some kind of inferiority complex or because they want to get away from a constant stream of Paddys, Micks and Johns, so they called them Max or Anton or girls get a name ending in "i". Personally, I would never give a child a name they'll have to spend the rest of their lives explaining.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Caraville wrote: »

Connell is also an accepted pronunciation. My son was Connell (as in that spelling) but my friend still insisted on calling him cunall. Suppose that bugs me more, when you tell someone a name and they still say it back to you wrong![/QUOTE]

Well if ye spell it Connell then it should be pronounced that way in fairness! It's like Orla should be pronounced oar (like the thing on a boat)-la, but loads of people insist on pronouncing it "or-la". Or Colm should really be pronounced "Cul-m" but people say "Col-m". People will often put their own twist on things! I know someone called Caomhán and they pronounce it Caymen, kinda like the Cayman islands. Now that's just daft![/QUOTE]

How are 'oar' and 'or' different? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Velvet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

Fergal has to be the worst.. it sounds like a fungus :/

shannie wrote: »

Well in that case Fergus would be worse than Fergal, as it's closest to fungus. Not mad about either name, but there's worse out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Fergal belongs in Fraggle Rock.

Caraville wrote: »
    .. But the "Cao" of Caoimhe or Caoimhín isn't even pronounced as ....

To a foreign employer trying to pronounce his / her applicants name, they may pronounce it COW-IN-HE.
    Or they may not try to pronounce it at all. I would never condemn a child to a lifetime of explaining their name / having to spell it for people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I know for a fact that there are many teenage single mother chavs in Britain who have daughters which they have named Chlamydia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

And look at the names of Bob Geldof's daughters: Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Little Pixie.

Batsy wrote: »
    And look at the names of Bob Geldof's daughters: Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Little Pixie.
    names like that say more about the parents than the children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Batsy wrote: »
    I know for a fact that there are many teenage single mother chavs in Britain who have daughters which they have named Chlamydia.
    Notions in your head aren't facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

shannie wrote: »

I think it's also german for piglet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I really, really, hate when people thinks it's "cool" to name their child after whatever singer/footballer/generic celeb/Pope(!) is in vogue at the time.

Early on someone mentioned the name Gaylord. I really can't fathom why any parent thinks bestowing such a name on a child good idea. I'd consider myself liberal but sadly the same cannot be said for schoolyard bullies...

Advertisement