Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I've seen a few Scottish people called Morag. The name is more suited to a cyclops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Spray. Short for Spraynard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

My buds kid is called Summer Rose. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I know a man in his 50's called Majella!

have heard a few Christiano's and Keanu's being called round the supermarket.

some pet hates of mine are Myla and Isla(silent "S"),Robyn,Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It beats me how any parents could call their son Ulick.:eek:

It's a singularly uninviting offer that I'd have no trouble refusing.:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Inbox wrote: »
    This , my mate gave his 2 kids Gaelic names and they will be forever spelling their names out and correcting people on their 'pronunciation' .

Especially if little Sadhbh, Tadhg or Medhbh have to emigrate for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Dominicka, Danicka, Chantelle etc.....the kinds of names used most commonly in certain segments of society ( and no I am not a snob and yes I am sure there are respectable people who use the names too)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kryzstzsof....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Heard a doctor commenting (off the record) in a maternity hospital that if you were to meet up with the babies named by the Dub inner city/council estates socio economic groups like 'Shanika, Madison, Casey, Tayler, Sha'era, Shania, Shambia,Dylan,Coutney, Leydon, and a lot more worser ones., you will find that many of them end up doomed to a life of what is termed as 'depravation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Tyreek .....yes Tyreek :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I've seen a few Scottish people called Morag. The name is more suited to a cyclops

I knew a Scottish woman called Senga.

Apparently her parents wanted to name her after her Grandmother who was called Agnes, but that sounded old fashioned so they reversed it to Senga instead.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Proudlock.

Any any posh name that sounds "beautiful~" Isabella Mountain Dew Precious Stone Smith is such a beautiful name.

But then again my parents picked my name because it was just nice (yeah nice in the 80s and thats it), and its a bit awkward to say, bit of an AJH name and very American doesn't suit me whatsoever its not Tiffany that would be equally as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

When I was in primary school years ago, there were 3 girls called 'Eibhlis' (pronounced 'Ev-ilish') and they were all fat and ugly.
    There is no way I would name my child Eibhlis.

Jamie: Probably alright when you're a child, but a grown man called Jamie, ffs.

Lorcan, Fuinneog, Sneachta, Una, Diarmuid etc :All pretentious and uppity.

Any names which seem to be taken from American movies such as Max, Brandon, Todd, Brad, Tyreece, Justin etc All shoite names.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Friends of a work colleague named their daughter Alabama. Worse still was that they planned to always call her by her "short" name - Bambi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

came across someone called eamhair
    now as far as i can see, that's pronounced ah-wer/ah-ver
    but no, emer

:confused:

same with caoilfhionn being "keelin" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And how are parents supposed to know which country their children will end up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I think the name "Jamie" is fairly bad. It's a baby name that people give to babies while ignoring the fact that they won't always be babies.

I can't take Jamie Rednapp or Jamie Oliver seriously because they're grown men with baby names.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

I know someone who called the son San Diego Tyson and that coupled with a very german family name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Not at all.

My first name is Tadhg, I have spent about 6 years in total living in the U.K. It might be a drag having to spell my name occasionally, but I just go by my initials in work, and my friends learned how to say and spell my name pretty quickly.

Difficulty in spelling is a terrible reason to not give your child an Irish name as long as you like the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Brooklyn.......... but you have to say it in a real 'howaya' accent like his mother did (Broooooooooooooooooklinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, c'mear!!!). Terrible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

Jersey (for a girl)
    As in Jersey Shore. Yep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

There was a fella I worked with and his name was spelled "Aodnis" which is actually pronounced "Anus", when he got old enough, he changed his name by deed poll to....Wait for it............"JOE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    It beats me how any parents could call their son Ulick.:eek:

It's a singularly uninviting offer that I'd have no trouble refusing.:):):)

Ulick McGee!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Ok then, I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »
    came across someone called eamhair
    now as far as i can see, that's pronounced ah-wer/ah-ver
    but no, emer

:confused:

same with caoilfhionn being "keelin" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or Aoibheann being pronounced "Ay-veen" ... never got that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

My brother's wife wanted to call their first child Tarquin (Think that's the spelling!!)
    If my child was called Tarquin I'd dis-own it...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Tristan.
    Good God.

I mean, really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

ROFL. Now, that I could consider. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I once had to call a Ruth Mcgee over the intercom of a supermarket once..
    Doesn't sound too great..

Advertisement