Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

A friend of my daughter is called rihanna and a lad i know called his daughter trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

later10 wrote: »
    Jesus forfend the day when we all call all our children Patrick, Padraig and Paddy again; that's what I dread.

Let diversity be. Who cares if they're a bit mad? At least they aren't boring.

Well, there's 2 ways of looking at that.

My parents could have given me an 'unusual' name to make their own personal statement to the world.

Would I have forgiven them if I got slagged off for it?

Probably. But it would have rankled a bit, especially when I was a teen & self conscious about everything anyway.

My policy about naming my own kids has been to play it fairly safe as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Oren

in a D4 accent that would make the baby Jesus cry.

edit:
    Now that I think about it , His name might of been Aaron but with that D4 accent the A's went missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

W
    My policy about naming my own kids has been to play it fairly safe as a result.
    Wonderful.

So you give your children boring old names and their contemporaries will just give them nicknames instead.

My parents position was that if they gave us reasonably unusual names, we wouldn't be beset with nicknames,

Pre-emptive name-calling, if you will.

I think it's a wise position to take. Call a child 'John' these days and you're exposing him to all sorts of possible nicknames based on the premise that John is a 'boring' name (however inaccurate that may be; and it is. John is a lovely name).

later10 wrote: »
    Wonderful.

So you give your children boring old names and their contemporaries will just give them nicknames instead.

My parents position was that if they gave us reasonably unusual names, we wouldn't be beset with nicknames,

Pre-emptive name-calling, if you will.

I think it's a wise position to take. Call a child 'John' these days and you're exposing him to all sorts of possible nicknames based on the premise that John is a 'boring' name (however inaccurate that may be; and it is. John is a lovely name).

You're missing the point I was trying to make.

My point was,when you name your child, that child will have to live with the consequences of your decision.

It's a big responsibility IMO.

If you happen to be going thru a drug-addled Frank Zappa phase when you become a parent, you could call your child Moon Unit or something.

Also we didn't name our kids da usual names kicking around these days.

We named them names that were never that fashionable at any time here, but still always used.

Timeless classics.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the Dept that you register your childs birth with should have veto over a name if its just too silly or stupid.

Happens in other countries.

Moon Unit! Zappa should have done time for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oriel (now 48 years of age) and to this day people still call him Aerial.

Poor sod :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

You're missing the point I was trying to make.

My point was,when you name your child, that child will have to live with the consequences of your decision.

It's a big responsibility IMO.

If you happen to be going thru a drug-addled Frank Zappa phase when you become a parent, you could call your child Moon Unit or something.

Also we didn't name our kids da usual names kicking around these days.

We named them names that were never that fashionable at any time here, but still always used.

Timeless classics.:)

Maybe I'm also missing your point, but fwiw Zappa himself didn't do drugs. Just saying... he did name his children some ridiculous things though. I think he said something like "their surname will cause them more trouble than their first names ever will", or something like that.

Maybe I'm also missing your point, but fwiw Zappa himself didn't do drugs. Just saying... he did name his children some ridiculous things though. I think he said something like "their surname will cause them more trouble than their first names ever will", or something like that.

Well, as I said before it's a big responsibility being a parent & in my case I've done the best I can. I know I have.

Branding a kid some stupid name that nobody outside the Gaeltocht can comprehend is stupid & selfish IMO.

Trust me on this.

I'm 43. Emigration was commonplace with my generation in the '80s. I went abroad & had no probs with my very conventional name.

I've seen many other of my comtemporaries 'change' their names cos they got fed up with having to spell out their names every time they spoke to someone abroad.

Emigration has come back now sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Suck...night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

I know a girl called Perry too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Teagan /thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think we have it bad here? Some American names are shocking.

What about the famous news anchors over there:
    Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, Soledad O'Brien.

Or sh1t names like Bud, Zac, Mitch, Kit, Brad, Tip

Hate the way some Irish folk are now trying to make common names here different by inventing their own spelling. Caitlin going to Kaitlyn being a good example.

And to get back to celebrity children with daft names, here's a list:
    Sparrow James Midnight Madden (Nicole Richie and Joel Madden)
    Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa (Lisa Bonet and Jason Momoa)
    Seraphina Rose Elizabeth (Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck)
    Bronx Mowgli (Ashlee Simpson-Wentz and Pete Wentz)
    Zuma (Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale)
    Clementine Jane (Ethan Hawke and Ryan Shawhughes)
    Knox Leon (Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt)
    Sunday Rose (Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban)
    Apple (Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow)
    Moxie CrimeFighter (Magician Penn Jillette)
    Hopper (Sean Penn and Robin Wright)
    Pilot Inspektor (Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf)
    Sosie (Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick)
    Destry (Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw)
    Aurelius Cy (Elle Macpherson)
    Kal-El Coppola (Nicolas Cage)
    Bluebell Madonna (Spice Girl Geri Halliwell)
    Audio Science (Actress Shannyn Sossamon)
    Kyd (David Duchovny and Tea Leon)
    Fifi Trixibell (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
    Calico (Alice Cooper)
    Denim and Diezel Ky (Toni Braxton)
    Seargeoh and Sage Moonblood (Sylvester Stallone)
    Jermajesty (Jermaine Jackson)
    Hud and Spec Wildhorse (John Cougar Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin)
    Rebel, Racer and Rogue (Robert Rodriguez)
    Free (Barbara Hershey and David Carradine)
    Reignbeau (Ving Rhames)
    Draco Verta (Danica McKellar)
    Buddy Bear Maurice (Jamie Oliver)

Poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wolf Blitzer is a class name.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Relation of my mother's called Egberta Koops, cool name :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's wrong with Eithne?

Seriously people, cop the **** on.

:rolleyes:

It's a horrible name for anyone to be saddled with. Poor f*ckers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Jupiter Jones and Summer Rose are the best names i have read in this thread . I just love the sound of them.
    My least favourite names are actually surnames Slattery and Kidney , what god awful sounding words to have to go through life with.
    My name was mentioned on this thread :( i hated it when i was young but have grown to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I was in a Post Office a few months ago and a mother was calling after her daughter whose name was Ibiza. Myself and a few others in the queue were hurting from trying to hold in the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I know of a 4 year girl called Honey. Now theres a stripper name!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

markc1184 wrote: »
    I was in a Post Office a few months ago and a mother was calling after her daughter whose name was Ibiza. Myself and a few others in the queue were hurting from trying to hold in the laughter.
    Similarly, I encountered some skanger children one day, one of whom was named Destiny. They couldn't get over why we were laughing so much, poor ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

yaris. Friend of my ex named her young lad after a fricken car

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

AENEAS
    DICK
    FANNY
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some names are fine, but just wrong for a baby. A baby called Frank is just strange.

As for Irish names, I just don't like the sound of them. Nothing to do with being anti irish, or cos the posh stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I know someone who called her daughter "neveah", pronounced ne- vay- ah, because it's "heaven" spelled backwards.

poor child

sam34 wrote: »
    I know someone who called her daughter "neveah", pronounced ne- vay- ah, because it's "heaven" spelled backwards.
    poor child

I think we have a winner :eek:

I don't get people's hate of Irish names (not those who just don't like the sound but those who think it's "mean").

I'm just sitting here watching the strongest man contest, there was a polish guy with a name I couldn't pronounce, but he's polish, it's a polish name, is his mother horrible for giving him a name that us English speakers can't pronounce? I don't get it.

You can probably guess my names is Irish! I've never minded spelling it and have been dealing with international companies for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

You can probably guess my names is Irish! I've never minded spelling it
    If its Irish language and awkward to spell, others do mind spelling it. ;)

gigino wrote: »

Meh, I really couldn't give a f*ck if other people have a problem with my name. I like it.

And I'd have my own opinion on people too lazy to spell a name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

gigino wrote: »

You know what those people can do with themselves? Doesn't matter what you think of someone's name, making a little effort to get it right is only manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

seymore

what about Seymore tit:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

a friend of mine recently called his son ziggy !!!

Advertisement