Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, "Oooh ah up the RA", that really is something to be proud of all right!

Pray tell, how many of the songs posted up here have that phrase in them?

Celtic symphony is the only one I think?

BB

heres the same man signing a rebel song

'The Patriot Game' is about Fergal O'Hanlon. He and his comrade in arms Seán South were killed 55 years ago this New years day coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

What about our national anthem? That's a rebel song.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Cole Train im with you all the way Irish Radio is nearly all Brit/ US teeny bopper pop rubbish anyway. Sure most Irish people dont like or respect this type of music due to their stuck up suburban mentality that Irish Rebel music is for "scumbags" or as one eejit on this thread said "he'd prefere to listen to PROPER music", says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the tones might be known for their rebel tunes but for me their best song has nothing to do with that subject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

scruff321 wrote: »
    Cole Train im with you all the way Irish Radio is nearly all Brit/ US teeny bopper pop rubbish anyway. Sure most Irish people dont like or respect this type of music due to their stuck up suburban mentality that Irish Rebel music is for "scumbags" or as one eejit on this thread said "he'd prefere to listen to PROPER music", says it all really.

When you hear drunken idiots chanting "IRA" in the middle of "The Fields of Athenry" then the "scumbag" label seems to fit......I used to play it when Munster were playing but once the idiots started hijacking and ruining it for everyone and making it embarrassing then there was no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

here is a song for keith

I always think its funny when the Orange men call it a sash, when they are actually wearing a collarette.
    A sash is worn diagonally over one shoulder.
    A collarette is worn over both shoulders around the collar.
    This ones for KeithAFC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHciiinP8sM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    When you hear drunken idiots chanting "IRA" in the middle of "The Fields of Athenry" then the "scumbag" label seems to fit......I used to play it when Munster were playing but once the idiots started hijacking and ruining it for everyone and making it embarrassing then there was no point.

Well, what does a song about the famine, a man rebelling against the British crown and it's cruelty and his subsequent exile from his native land for this so called "crime", have to do with rugby?

Did you even think before you accused someone of hijacking the song? Add ins of "IRA" and "Sinn Féin", though I don't like them myself, are much more in tune with the song, as they are the two groups who forced the British out of 26 of Ireland's 32 counties, then sports like Rugby are.

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Some people seem to group all Irish folk music under the banner of rebel songs. Not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's just embarrassingly bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Like all types of music, Some of it is crap and some of it is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Irish Folk/Trad music = Great!

Rebel music = sooo wrong on many levels.

A Hotel near us had the Wolf Tones playing there last year, and that, along with other issues (dirty toilets) was the last straw for us, so we just wouldn't go there again on principle, the gang the Tones attracted had to be seen to be believed, real heavy duty republicans, Sands tattoos, 70s style moustaches, nicotain stained fingers, half sloshed Brit hating neanderthals the lot of them! Really awful crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Beir Bua wrote: »
    Noting like a good old generalization is there? Plenty of "scummers" wear Man Utd or Liverpool jerseys you know. There are no more "Celtic jersey wearing scummers" than there are "Man Utd jersey wearing scummers" or liverpool Jersey wearing scummers." Now that the "glory days" of Uefa Cup finals and the like are gone for the time being the band-wagoners have left. I don't even support Celtic but to label someone a "scummer" because they wear a jersey is ridiculous.

I've been to quite a few Irish music nights with live bands, people wear all sorts of clothes. Sometimes these "rebel nights" are held in with conjunction with Celtic games.

Your post has the hallmark of someone who is talking out their hole about something they know nothing about.

BB

It's a bullshi* argument that gets done to death on here.

You know it's tedious when you have to explain what kind of clothes people wear.
    I f ucking hate rebel music, usually leave a pub if it comes on.

Oh my gaaawd George, there's someone listening to a Irish song, he must one of those common person - it's time to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

scruff321 wrote: »

since fucking when were we obliged to 'respect' niche subgenres of music?

Jesus fucking wept..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »

A Hotel near us had the Wolf Tones playing there last year, and that, along with other issues (dirty toilets) was the last straw for us, so we just wouldn't go there again on principle, the gang the Tones attracted had to be seen to be believed, real heavy duty republicans, Sands tattoos, 70s style moustaches, nicotain stained fingers, half sloshed Brit hating neanderthals the lot of them! Really awful crowd.

Dear o dear o dear......

Are you seriously labeling an entire genre of music "wrong on so many levels" because someone didn't clean a toilet.

Oh yeah, "Oooh ah up the RA", that really is something to be proud of all right!

The tradition of rebel music in Ireland dates back many centuries,(long before the RA was here) dealing with historical events such as uprisings, describing the hardships of living under oppressive rule, but also strong sentiments of solidarity, loyalty, determination, as well as praise of valiant heroes.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Are you seriously labeling an entire genre of music "wrong on so many levels" because someone didn't clean a toilet.

Not the 1st time the toilest have not been cleaned, and as far as I'm concerned Rebel music should be banned in Hotels, Pubs & Clubs.

ColeTrain wrote: »

Allow me to explain.....
    lord sutch wrote:
    I am an Irish Unionist.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71702426&postcount=204
    lord sutch wrote:
    Dunno about the North, but I would have fought against the rebels here in Dublin, that's for sure
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71997215&postcount=92

• Advertisement

Not the 1st time the toilest have not been cleaned, and as far as I'm concerned Rebel music should be banned in Hotels, Pubs & Clubs.

Good to see that spirit of tolerance is still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

here is a song for keith
    This is a cracking wee tune.

You'd ban the tricolour if you got your way.
    Nodin wrote: »

That explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Some rebel songs are excellent, but a load of the stuff you come across is pure crap. Wolfe Tones are absolutely dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You are welcome to explain on what level rebel music is so wrong.

Here is one of my favourite non Irish ones

Nodin wrote: »
    Good to see that spirit of tolerance is still going strong.

Well in fairness Nodin (Irish) Rebel music is deliberately provocative & insulting, and I hate it !!!

By the way, how in Gods name how do you reference my old posts so quickly? Sometimes you can even pick out a post of
    mine from several years ago & repost it within minutes, I must be listed in your little (enemy of Republicans) database :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/features/topten/

The Wolfe Tones' version of A Nation Once Again was voted the number one song in the world by BBC World Service listeners in 2002 :eek::rolleyes::):p

How did that happen ? seriously

Well in fairness Nodin (Irish) Rebel music is deliberately provocative & insulting, and I hate it !!!

By the way, how in Gods name how do you reference my old posts so quickly? Sometimes you can even pick out a post of
    mine from several years ago & repost it within minutes, I must be listed in your little (enemy of Republicans) database :cool:
    Rebel music is not deliberately provocative and insulting. Standing outsides someones house and singing "The Billy boys" like your pals have often done is deliberately provocative and insulting.

BB

• Advertisement

Well in fairness Nodin Rebel music is deliberately provocative & insulting, and I hate it !!!

Well it isn't generally "deliberately provocative & insulting", but I suppose it would appear that way to people such as southern unionists. This puts them in the same boat as Southern Confederates listening to the American national anthem, Nazis listening to jazz.

Advertisement