Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

you seem like an educated chap may i add. but weren't you the one insuling redheads a while back?
    do you feel as though those who made this country a nation deserve respect?
    Not as much as I, or you, deserve the right to a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'The Island', always reminds me more of my service in Lebanon than anything Irish tbh.

Lovely song all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I f ucking hate rebel music, usually leave a pub if it comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m296tHPIlsY
    Reminds me of my child hood. Booming out of my Aunt's Sanyo HiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Does anybody listen to it on this isle?

I turn on the radio ( no mp3 these days :o ) and I hear everything but the rebs. Why? Does our history not matter?
    Because chunky corn-fed American tourists, over from Iowa looking for their "roots", don't listen to the radio?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm not comfortable with the term "rebel music" being applied to music of the Irish resistance to English/British rule.

The true rebels of Irish history are the English, who made a point of calling all those who resisted it "rebels" from an early date in order to give the impression that English rule was the norm, the legitimate rule in Ireland. Thus the English marched into 16th-century Ulster for the first time and made a massive point of denouncing Seán an Díomais as a "rebel" when it was the English who were overthrowing the established order, the legitimate tradition in the Gaelic world. They were the rebels trying to overthrow the legitimate order.

Now that many/most of the Irish seem to pride themselves in this "rebel" label, the English (now including the Scots and Welsh and calling themselves British) move the goalposts and the ultimate insult of "rebel" has been replaced by the ultimate insult of "terrorist". Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

/end academic historical point.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a copy of Christy Moore's "The Spirit of Freedom".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dionysus wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with the term "rebel music" being applied to music of the Irish resistance to English/British rule.

The true rebels of Irish history are the English, who made a point of calling all those who resisted it "rebels" from an early date in order to give the impression that English rule was the norm, the legitimate rule in Ireland. Thus the English marched into 16th-century Ulster for the first time and made a massive point of denouncing Seán an Díomais as a "rebel" when it was the English who were overthrowing the established order, the legitimate tradition in the Gaelic world. They were the rebels trying to overthrow the legitimate order.

Now that many/most of the Irish seem to pride themselves in this "rebel" label, the English (now including the Scots and Welsh and calling themselves British) move the goalposts and the ultimate insult of "rebel" has been replaced by the ultimate insult of "terrorist". Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

It has to be said that the English were as much as marginalised as the Irish, what was happening in Ireland with the English landlords evicting the poor Irish tenants also happened frequently in England itself. The fact is that its not documented as much as the Famine era in Ireland, Dick Gaughan and Billy Bragg done great versions of this song highlighting the plight of the Diggers.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Love the rawness of the lyrics, music in its simplist form is genis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

Dionysus wrote: »

Brilliant point and something I had never considered.

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

'The Island', always reminds me more of my service in Lebanon than anything Irish tbh.

Lovely song all the same.

Twas indeed. Sums up the futility of a lot of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My Dad loves the DUbliners and my cousin is mad into rebel music and that's all that was played at his 21st.

Sweet suffering mother of jesus but I can't stand it. It goes right through me! The voices are grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Would rather stab myself in the bollox than click on any of those videos posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Some people posting here can't seem to distinguish between folk balladry in general and rebel songs in particular.

I like lots of rebel songs, plenty of them are awful shíte though and even many of the good ones are marred by terrible recording and production. I think this reflects the limited means of a lot of the bands recording during the '60s/'70s/'80s and also that many recordings are done at gigs rather than in the studio.

Most rebel songs about long bygone eras that are still popular today are pretty good songs in my opinion. The Rising Of The Moon, Boolavogue, Kelly From Killane (Damien Dempsey's version of this is great), Aghadoe and other 19th century ballads are fantastic. Similarly, many of the songs like The Foggy Dew, The Boys Of Barr Na Sráide, and others talking about the Easter Rising/War Of Independence/Civil War era are beautifully written and some fantastic recordings exist of them. I listen to these songs regularly and can even sing a few of them.

Most of the more recent rebel songs are problematic for various reasons which reflect the more ambivalent stance many people have over the recent Troubles. The foremost issue I suppose is am I tacitly supporting the PIRA or the INLA etc by listening to and enjoying these songs? And relevant to the issues in the first post, would a broadcaster be lending those groups support by airing this music?

Of course we're at least nominally at peace now but people affected by the more recent Troubles will be alive for many more years to come. I also can't help but think that there'll never be a song lionising the men who blew up Omagh Town in 1998, or who massacred 10 Protestant workers in Kingsmill in 1976, for obvious reasons.

Anyway rant over, here's a Scottish rebel song I quite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Beir Bua wrote: »
    Brilliant point and something I had never considered.
    BB

While it is an excellent post, I say you probably did consider it but in a different way as in "one mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter" sort of way.

But that post put it in an excellent way.

Some people posting here can't seem to distinguish between folk balladry in general and rebel songs in particular.

I also can't help but think that there'll never be a song lionising the men who blew up Omagh Town in 1998, or who massacred 10 Protestant workers in Kingsmill in 1976, for obvious reasons.

Yes, folk and "rebel" seem to be mixed up here.

Yes, as one was during a ceasefire that the majority supported and the other was a "massacre" so I doubt many would praise them.
    That speaks nothing on the "troubles" in general when compared to the 19th-20th century attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

tiffany211 wrote: »
    Yup, that's a nice post for sure.

Nice response so you can get more post so your spam in the other thread has some legitimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Would rather stab myself in the bollox than click on any of those videos posted.

Be our guest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I agree. A lot of them aren't good songs at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I f ucking hate rebel music, usually leave a pub if it comes on.

Good idea. If it comes on a pub jukebox it usually means the pub has a load of Celtic jersey wearing scummers in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe just let this thread die now, bye.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Op you are absolutely right. I haven't listened to the Radio in near on 10 years except for at Christmas when Christmas FM is on because there is nothing on that interests me except for some topics on the drivetime chat shows but they are generally few and far between.

I listen to loads of good rebel songs and Irish trad, even a couple of songs as gaeilge. I am on my own though most of the time, very few of my friends would listen to the same songs maybe 1 or 2 but I'd be known as the one to listen to all the 'Irish' music and be all for the 'Ra' and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Good idea. If it comes on a pub jukebox it usually means the pub has a load of Celtic jersey wearing scummers in it.
    Noting like a good old generalization is there? Plenty of "scummers" wear Man Utd or Liverpool jerseys you know. There are no more "Celtic jersey wearing scummers" than there are "Man Utd jersey wearing scummers" or liverpool Jersey wearing scummers." Now that the "glory days" of Uefa Cup finals and the like are gone for the time being the band-wagoners have left. I don't even support Celtic but to label someone a "scummer" because they wear a jersey is ridiculous.

I've been to quite a few Irish music nights with live bands, people wear all sorts of clothes. Sometimes these "rebel nights" are held in with conjunction with Celtic games.

Your post has the hallmark of someone who is talking out their hole about something they know nothing about.

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Nothing better than a bit of rebel music. I can see why it isn't played on radio, there's a small market for it and radio caters to as large an audience as possible, so no chance for the "rebs" then.

I can understand people not liking it, there's lots of genres of music that I just don't like, horses for courses and that. People shouldn't "have" to like it because its Irish and part of our culture. The definition of a proud Irishman isn't to own or like rebel music. Like all music you might or might not be in the mood to listen to it

What I don't get is people that are actively opposed to it. Rebel music is a lot more complex than "Up Da Ra" to loud cheers from gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When one of our neighbours in the UK insisted on playing Elvis full-blast on a Sunday morning, I had to use rebel music as a weapon, turning up the volume and placing the speakers against the dividing wall. The Elvis fan's husband was an ex-British army guy pensioned off for a nervous disorder. We never heard Elvis again after that and the neighbour's house was on the market shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

we cant play it someone might get offended but it is good music we should be proud of the past it celebrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

we cant play it someone might get offended but it is good music we should be proud of the past it celebrates

Oh yeah, "Oooh ah up the RA", that really is something to be proud of all right!

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, "Oooh ah up the RA", that really is something to be proud of all right!

don't here that to often when i listen to rebel songs like the foggy dew or the patriot game or the rising of the moon or any rebel songs
    (i don't own a celtic jersey)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

KeithAFC wrote: »

Unionist says he hate rebel/folk songs

Shocker!

Back on topic, I like a lot of rebel songs and some not so rebel, one of my favourite is Boulavogue, which is a song about the 1798 rebellion.

I love this song too about the 1916 rising.

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »

here is a song for keith
    heres the same man signing a rebel song

Advertisement