Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It is simple. Celtic are British. They might have a portion of fans with Irish links. but as a football club they're 100% British. Pretending they're an Irish club is delusional.

No one disagreed with you that they are British. People argued with you on the notion that it was 'ironic' for republicans to support them.

And a 'portion' of fans with Irish links?! How big or small would you reckon this portion to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No one disagreed with you that they are British. People argued with you on the notion that it was 'ironic' for republicans to support them.

And a 'portion' of fans with Irish links?! How big or small would you reckon this portion to be?
    You said its not as simplistic as saying they're simply British. When really it is. Do I have to explain the irony of a load of people singing rebel songs while cheering for a team that represents Britain?

You said its not as simplistic as saying they're simply British. When really it is. Do I have to explain the irony of a load of people singing rebel songs while cheering for a team that represents Britain?

Go on then. Explain it. Convince me you are not simply trolling

Here is a picture of the stadium of a club you dismiss as being 'simply British' http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/1332766014_6e04b26013.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Go on then. Explain it. Convince me you are not simply trolling

If you think I'm trolling report my posts.
    Rebel songs = anti British
    Celtic = British

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Care to clarify what you mean by this? I take it you are referring to THE Luke Kelly

Without doubt my favourite in this genre is the foggy dwe

Granted we can claim foggy dew, and many other luke songs, but i would say 3/4's of lukes material came from abroad and mostly from britain. I haven't the time to go through all his songs, but looking at his "best of" as an example the following are not irish:
    1. song for ireland
    2. dirty old town
    3. Home, Boys, Home
    4. the holy ground
    5. black velvet band - british oz origin, renamed black velvet band.
    6. joe hill
    7. night visiting song
    8. the unquiet grave
    9. Gentleman Soldier
    10. Peat Bog Soldiers
    11. Sun Is Burning
    12. Alabama 58
    13. Springhill Mining Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I love Irish rebel songs. This is one of my favourites :)

Celtic = British

Rebel songs != anti British
    Rebel songs == anti-British-imperialism

Your logic fails. Have you not read any of the posts that were uploaded since earlier today? You will see that republicanism does not equal anti-Britain.

You didn't answer my question on how big you reckon the portion of Celtic's support with Irish-links is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If all the people who sat around singing rebel songs and drinking over the years actually fought in the battles we would never have been conqured in the first place. Every Irish battle i read about seems to involve rhetoric (****e talk) romanticism, and then everyone buggering off and leaving the rest to die outnumbered on the battlefield. We talk/sing a good battle, but tin whistles aren't worth a b*llix in armed combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

This is another song that I love. Its not a rebel song but I think it sums up the futility of it all.

Tommy Sands "There were Roses"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Celtic are a Glasgow club, a Scottish club, a British club and a European club. You seem to have a serious hard on for stating they are British but who has argued that?

They don't represent Britain in any competition though. If playing in Europe they represent the SFA.

I don't see how it's ironic at all. Would it be ironic for me to listen to a rebel song while browsing an British website or watching a British TV show. What you're saying is in order to listen to a rebel song then you have to reject everything British :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It would help if people used common sense (or preferably knew the history of ireland and scotland) and then would know the link between ireland and scotland, and glasgow recently just within the larger scheme of things.

Then if they also looked into the history of the actual club they would see the further irish links and if they opened their eyes and looked at the club today they would see the irish links.

That said I am not a huge fan of football/soccer but I do know history (what I thought was basic history) can use common sense (celtic, change the pronunciation…) and have eyes and ears to see the facts at every celtic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

So much of that rebel music is hoary old cabaret guff from buffoons such as the Wolfe Tones.

I like my Irish music soulful and skillfully crafted.

Music utterly unique to our own culture -timeless, precious, raucous and delicate all at once.

Have a dose of Séamus Ennis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Celtic = British

If you aren't trolling, why don't you come up with a decent argument except 'yeah well....but...celtic are british, so there''

No one has actually said they aren't British, they've just said they have a strong Irish connection. Your response is still 'Yeah but they're british'. You're trolling. And not doing a very good job of it.

Edit: Just seen the 'team that represents Britain' bit. If you're not trolling, you should really stop commenting on topics that you're completely clueless on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

while cheering for a team that represents Britain?

You haven't a fcuking clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wouldn't call Celtic British but they're about as Irish as Notre Dame or House Of Pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It's quite clear you have an anti-republican agenda.

No $h1t Sherlock ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Celtic = British

In your black and white world James Connolly would be 100% British yet he's more Irish than your sorry ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Wolfe Tones are awful "musicians". They have no musical ability. And I still can't get over how they murdered The Sash.

The Wolfe Tones blow hot and cold. Point us to a good version! Great tune. Gets my spirits up and if nobody else is listening I'll hum it to myself! Abe Lincoln's favourite was 'Dixie' and he asked his band to play it on hearing that the war was over.

I'm pretty apolitical to be honest and couldn't care less if Oliver Cromwell and Bertie Ahern jointly governed the entire islands of Britain and Ireland so long as I'm left to my own little world. I love good folk music however, and though some of the rebel/orange ballads are trite - clearly written in 5 minutes on the back of a beermat, some are majestic compositions and I hope they are forever preserved for posterity. Shame to see them become victims of a new sanitised political correctness a la the photographic archiving of Vladimir Lenin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

You live on the island of Ireland. That makes you Irish no?

He lives up North, which as far as I am aware gives him the choice to determine himself whether he is British or Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

So much of that rebel music is hoary old cabaret guff from buffoons such as the Wolfe Tones.

I like my Irish music soulful and skillfully crafted.

Music utterly unique to our own culture -timeless, precious, raucous and delicate all at once.

Have a dose of Séamus Ennis. :)

Brilliant tune, my favourite at the moment. Strangely enough, I was just listening to another version of it. Played here by 3 brilliant trad musicians from England (see, it's not just for you lot! :pac:):

Rebel songs, to me, are the telling of history. They shouldn't be part of an ideology.

While trad music was probably oddly helped by the persecution it suffered, it's going stronger than ever now, but I wouldn't associate it with rebel music myself.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    He lives up North, which as far as I am aware gives him the choice to determine himself whether he is British or Irish

Ask anyone from Britain and I would say 95% of them would say he is Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

SisterAnn wrote: »
    The Wolfe Tones blow hot and cold. Point us to a good version! Great tune. Gets my spirits up and if nobody else is listening I'll hum it to myself! Abe Lincoln's favourite was 'Dixie' and he asked his band to play it on hearing that the war was over.

I'm pretty apolitical to be honest and couldn't care less if Oliver Cromwell and Bertie Ahern jointly governed the entire islands of Britain and Ireland so long as I'm left to my own little world. I love good folk music however, and though some of the rebel/orange ballads are trite - clearly written in 5 minutes on the back of a beermat, some are majestic compositions and I hope they are forever preserved for posterity. Shame to see them become victims of a new sanitised political correctness a la the photographic archiving of Vladimir Lenin.

A good version.

Ask anyone from Britain and I would say 95% of them would say he is Irish

Ask anyone from Britain?:confused: You are aware this is an Irish website? I fail to see the relevance of asking anybody from Britain what their thoughts are on the matter, or perhaps you realise that your argument has failed, and you cannot produce a decent retort?

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Ask anyone from Britain?:confused: You are aware this is an Irish website? I fail to see the relevance of asking anybody from Britain what their thoughts are on the matter, or perhaps you realise that your argument has failed, and you cannot produce a decent retort?

A simple statement that the vast majority of people from Britain regard someone from Ireland as Irish irrespective if they are in NI or not. He is an Irishman in the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

A simple statement that the vast majority of people from Britain regard someone from Ireland as Irish irrespective if they are in NI or not. He is an Irishman in the United Kingdom.

Can you supply a link to the research that backs this up? Or is it as I suspect an opinion based on...well nothing really..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

so are you mate so are you

Again, you are missing the point. As someone who lives in Northern Ireland, Keith has the right to identify himself as British or Irish, or both. This right was given to him under the Good Friday Agreement, and nobody but him and him alone can determine his nationality

AEDIC wrote: »
    Can you supply a link to the research that backs this up? Or is it as I suspect an opinion based on...well nothing really..

Bingo

• Advertisement

AEDIC wrote: »

I am not claiming it as fact, I am claiming as my opinion if you had read the post above

'Ask anyone from Britain and I would say 95% of them would say he is Irish'

That opinion is based on living in Britain for more than 18 years

Advertisement