Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

getz wrote: »
    so are you mate so are you

Oh I know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I am putting this thread back on topic again with another classic.
    My Aunt had this one booming out of her Sanyo HiFi when I was a child so often that my 6 year old cousin knew it word perfect.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8rsDLHb98

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I am not claiming it as fact, I am claiming as my opinion if you had read the post above

'Ask anyone from Britain and I would say 95% of them would say he is Irish'

That opinion is based on living in Britain for more than 18 years

Has that always been in Glasgow?

No, I have lived in London, Bolton, Manchester and Glasgow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    He lives up North, which as far as I am aware gives him the choice to determine himself whether he is British or Irish

You must have missed some of the subsequent posts I made. I absolutely agree with you that he is British. I was simply calling him on his assertion that it was 'ironic' for republican fans to cheer on Celtic in a Dublin pub yet he is a man living on the Island of Ireland calling himself British, supporting another team in Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The line "up the Ra" is insignificant, it's about someone looking at a wall ffs. If people want to sing along with it then that's their prerogative. If you don't like it then run out of the pub.
    So it's simply a matter-of-fact description of some street art they chanced across. Right.

I went through a regrettable stage in my teens as a bitter little racist and bigot. This song ranked among my favourites for getting the blood flowing and revelling in some good, old-fashioned Brit hating.

I've long since copped on but some people never grow out of this phase. Even if it's not the sole purpose of the song, it is, in part, a tribalistic chant expressing clear support for a terrorist organisation with innocent blood on its hands, as the Wolfe Tones knew bloody well when they composed it.

I'm sure plenty of rebel songs are simply an attempt to bring to life Ireland's colourful, fascinating, war-torn history, and say nothing about Ireland's current relationship with Britain. This is not one of them.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    This song ranked among my favourites for getting the blood flowing and revelling in some good, old-fashioned Brit hating.

Eh? I am sure there are hundreds of other rebel songs [I would not class this one as a Rebel song] that would do the above a lot better and I cannot believe one of them was Celtic Symphony. Are you sure you have the right song as even Amhran Na Bhfiann is more blood thirsty than this?

It was far across the sea,
    When the devil got a hold of me,
    He wouldnt set me free,
    So he kept me soul for ransom.

Chorus 1
    na na na na na na na na na
    na na na na na na na na.

I'm a sailor man from Glasgow town,
    I've roamed this world round and round,
    Hes the meanest thing that I have found,
    In all mydays of wander.

Chorus 1

But I could see his evil eyes,
    Twas then he took me by surprise,
    Take me to your paradise,
    I want to see the Jungle.

Chorus 1

Chorus 2
    Here we go again,
    We're on the road again,
    We're on the road again,
    We're on our way to Paradise,
    We love the jungilty,
    That's where the lion sleeps, (yeeeaaaaahhhh)
    For in those evil eyes,
    They have no place in Paradise.

Chorus 3
    Grafitti on the walls just as the sun was going down,
    I seen graffitti on the walls( Of the CELTS, Of the CELTS),
    Graffitti on the walls that says we're Magic, We're Magic,
    Graffiti on the walls.......Graffiti on the walls........
    And it said..............
    Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra (x6).

We went to each jungle deep,
    For the Paradise that we did seek,
    Was noted for the weak,
    There was some with the natives.

Chorus 1

From the Amazon to Borneo,
    From Africa to Tokyo,
    To the darkest jungles of the world,
    But nowhere could i lose him.

Chorus 1

Around in circles every way,
    He turned to me and he did say,
    I think your leading me astary,
    I want your soul me boyo!

Chorus 1

Chorus 2

Chorus 3.

Er, it's the
    Ooh ah up the Ra, say ooh ah up the Ra

bit to which I take exception. It's cheering on the IRA like you'd cheer on a football team which I think is puerile and inappropriate. The rest of the song is absolutely fine but I think the chorus panders to an unsavoury element of Celtic's fanbase who give the team a bad name.

If there's some sort of context here I'm missing I'd be happy to change my mind, if someone could explain it me.

I agree with you about that part of the song. I just find it fascinating that this song was one of your favourites for 'getting the blood flowing and revelling in some good, old-fashioned Brit hating'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

• Advertisement

I agree with you about that part of the song. I just find it fascinating that this song was one of your favourites for 'getting the blood flowing and revelling in some good, old-fashioned Brit hating'.
    I'm sure there were plenty of others more suited to my wants, but I was young and my knowledge of music was extremely limited. I didn't even know what the song was about really, I just waited for the chorus and shouted along like a retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Not exactly an Irish rebel song, but shared feelings I suppose, I love this at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

So it's simply a matter-of-fact description of some street art they chanced across. Right.

As I said before the songs lyrics are all about Celtic FC. A fan of the club would understand some of the references.

The bit of "up the ra" is indeed a reference to street art. Where is the offence in it? I mean ffs it's not the only rebel song to mention the IRA. There is **** all in that song to be offended about.
    I went through a regrettable stage in my teens as a bitter little racist and bigot. This song ranked among my favourites for getting the blood flowing and revelling in some good, old-fashioned Brit hating.

I've long since copped on but some people never grow out of this phase. Even if it's not the sole purpose of the song, it is, in part, a tribalistic chant expressing clear support for a terrorist organisation with innocent blood on its hands, as the Wolfe Tones knew bloody well when they composed it.

I'm sure plenty of rebel songs are simply an attempt to bring to life Ireland's colourful, fascinating, war-torn history, and say nothing about Ireland's current relationship with Britain. This is not one of them.

You think you've seen the light and now you think you're fit to lecture folk about what music they should listen to.

Your post above is bollocks. I'm certainly not a bigot. I don't need to explain myself to you as to why I listen to these songs. You can harp on about the IRA of today all you want, but that's for another thread.

I'm sure there were plenty of others more suited to my wants, but I was young and my knowledge of music was extremely limited. I didn't even know what the song was about really, I just waited for the chorus and shouted along like a retard.

So what? You knew **** all then and it seems to be the same now. Hopefully you'll be able to get on with your life and forgive yourself for chanting a song when you were younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ColeTrain wrote: »
    As I said before the songs lyrics are all about Celtic FC. A fan of the club would understand some of the references.
    Irish ties aside, I'm not quite sure how cheering on the IRA is particularly relevant or necessary to a song about Celtic. I'd have thought that's the sort of thing they'd like to distance themselves from. Could you or another fan of the club please explain the metaphorical meaning of "Oh ah up the 'RA," because it seems pretty explicit from where I'm sitting.
    The bit of "up the ra" is indeed a reference to street art. Where is the offence in it? I mean ffs it's not the only rebel song to mention the IRA. There is **** all in that song to be offended about.
    So if I were to write a song about, say, grqing up in an working-class inner-city Dublin area, would it be alright for me to have a rousing, celebratory chrorus sing "Blacks out?" I've seen such things graffitied on walls so presumably that would be OK as it's simply a reference to some street art I encountered.

You think you've seen the light and now you think you're fit to lecture folk about what music they should listen to.

Your post above is bollocks. I'm certainly not a bigot. I don't need to explain myself to you as to why I listen to these songs. You can harp on about the IRA of today all you want, but that's for another thread.
    Where have I called you a bigot? Where have I lectured you on your choice of music? I've said that I have no problem with rebel music as a whole. It's not my thing, personally, and there is a definite unsavoury subset of the fanbase, but if you're getting your jollies off it then more power to you. I do have a problem with boorish schoolboy chants celebrating terrorist organisations, though as I've said if someone can show me that I'm looking at this the wrong way then I'll be happy to change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

На Родину в Дерри

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

my knowledge of music was extremely limited. I didn't even know what the song was about really, I just waited for the chorus and shouted along like a retard.

Well there is your problem, just because you were extremely immature does not disparage the whole genre.
    I do have a problem with boorish schoolboy chants celebrating terrorist organisations, though as I've said if someone can show me that I'm looking at this the wrong way then I'll be happy to change my mind.

Right find me even 5 other songs that are in any way popular that do this?

That is an extremely small subset of the genre, very very small.

Well there is your problem, just because you were extremely immature does not disparage the whole genre.

Right find me even 5 other songs that are in any way popular that do this?

That is an extremely small subset of the genre, very very small.
    Please, please read my posts man. I stated explicitly that I do NOT have a problem with the genre as a whole, I was saying that the chorus to that particular song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Please, please read my posts man. I stated explicitly that I do NOT have a problem with the genre as a whole, I was saying that the chorus to that particular song.

I'm gonna agree with you on this one. I like that song, I'm a Celtic fan, but that chorus is needless and they knew exactly what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Wolfe Tones are awful "musicians". They have no musical ability. And I still can't get over how they murdered The Sash.
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    it's amazing how much money the wolfe tones can make on the back of shíte songs and eejits quick enough to buy into them.

Do you think LOADS of people would be going to the Wolfe Tone concerts or buying their cd's if they were crap songs and crap musicans??
    You either like them, their music or you don't that doesn't mean you can label them as rubbish. I love their music and their gigs are great and the cd's i play every now and again and **** all ye begrudgers they have the right and reason to sing about the awful troubles Ireland and it's brave people have faced over many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭eirekielthy

If you think the Irish rebel music is crap then don't comment It is a part of Irish culture so get of ur high horse u snotty nosed orange pr**ks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

If you think the Irish rebel music is crap then don't comment It is a part of Irish culture so get of ur high horse u snotty nosed orange pr**ks

And that's the reason I hate rebel music because it tends to attract idiots..mindless idiots at that.
    I can understand people liking it and to each their own but then we have comments like above that justify my view of people that enjoy it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭eirekielthy

Blazer wrote: »

And that's the reason I hate rebel music because it tends to attract idiots..mindless idiots at that.
    I can understand people liking it and to each their own but then we have comments like above that justify my view of people that enjoy it.;)

I bet ur 1 of doze people who are loyal to the old bag called the queen . No one needs u slagging irish music and as a member of Ireland's free state I have the right to talk freely And set u orange c**ts straight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Perhaps you should look what colour is on that tri colour you love. Then again, why on earth it is on the tri colour is a question in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bet ur 1 of doze people who are loyal to the old bag called the queen . No one needs u slagging irish music and as a member of Ireland's free state I have the right to talk freely And set u orange c**ts straight

keep talking little man...this is amusing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Blazer wrote: »

yup. Im a trad musician and thankfully you dont get many, if any rebel songs at sessions and if you do get a crowd like that in you just pack up and leave. just not worth the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...we're still a "free state"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I like rebel music. I've seen the Wolfe Tones live and a couple of rebel bands in Glasgow when I've been to watch Celtic. One of the bands in Glasgow I saw who sang more recent rebel songs actually went on in paramilitary uniform.

I've enjoyed watching them all. A good drink is often had and the place is usually buzzing. :cool:

One of the bands in Glasgow I saw who sang more recent rebel songs actually went on in paramilitary uniform.
    Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I like rebel music. I've seen the Wolfe Tones live and a couple of rebel bands in Glasgow when I've been to watch Celtic. One of the bands in Glasgow I saw who sang more recent rebel songs actually went on in paramilitary uniform.

I've enjoyed watching them all. A good drink is often had and the place is usually buzzing. :cool:

oh jesus christ

Advertisement