Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

the one thing Ross has going for him
    is that his Beat Selection is great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ross is about as good as D4L in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'll admit that he is the biggest fraud in hip hop. I can't help but admire him at the same time. He has somehow managed to overcome all the rumours and eventual uncovering. Since he was unveiled as being a fraud he has become even bigger. It doesn't say much for the paying public but he has done remarkably well.
    Realistically, most people don't care that he was a CO. If he makes music that appeals to people it will sell. People listen to the music, they're not interested in his employment history.

His music doesn't really appeal to me tbh, I thought his last album was boring and repetitive bar one or two songs. His new mixtape has a couple of nice tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing his new album...don't really care that he worked as a correctional officer.
    That song he had with Drake was woeful. Nice beat but they wrecked it. The remixes by other artists were far better.
    Aston Martin Music? One of the few Rick Ross songs I listen to regularly. I know the majority of posters here don't like Drake but he killed that beat.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

he's no teflon don just a clown who has seemed to convince himself he's a gangsta. If this was ten years ago he would of been black balled but hip hop has changed so much maybe thats why he is still here, most of the gangsta rappers who have him ft'd on their music are desperate to be relevant hence him being on their music.

John Gotti was the original Teflon Don. Nothing stuck to him at all. Murder charges galore and he managed to evade them all.

Ross is a little like that imo. He has been outed as being a complete and utter fake yet he still manages to sell big quantities and he hasn't had to change his image at all as far as I know.

It could have more to do with the demographic that are paying for rap music these days. I'd imagine that a lot of his sales come from 'white suburban kids'. I've no stats to back that up but I can't imagine too many people who have actually encountered gangsters and all that would bother buying his music.

I feel he appeals to the Walter Mitty-esque dreams that people have of living a gangster life like Tony Montana. Maybe that's completely wrong but I can't really see too many other reasons to like him really.

John Gotti was found out in the end. As was our own 'Teflon Taoiseach' Bertie. They can't keep escaping and I think it'll all come crashing down around him sooner or later.

I heard Birdman would be interested in signing him. That would really be a shambles. Drake, Ross and Wayne would have a hold on every chart for months on end.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Aston Martin Music? One of the few Rick Ross songs I listen to regularly. I know the majority of posters here don't like Drake but he killed that beat.

There, I said it.

No Stay Schemin'. It has a nice beat but Drake sounds like a gimp on it throwing guns in the air as well. Ross is no better interrupting every 20 seconds saying daaaawwwg or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

No Stay Schemin'. It has a nice beat but Drake sounds like a gimp on it throwing guns in the air as well. Ross is no better interrupting every 20 seconds saying daaaawwwg or something else.

Actually thought Drake's verse on that was pretty good, video is pretty retarded though.

Don't forget the constant "huuuuuuuh" grunts, it's actually every line at this stage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Actually thought Drake's verse on that was pretty good, video is pretty retarded though.

Don't forget the constant "huuuuuuuh" grunts, it's actually every line at this stage :p
    Ross sounds like a dog in heat

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Nice beat but very forgettable track imo.

I heard Birdman would be interested in signing him. That would really be a shambles. Drake, Ross and Wayne would have a hold on every chart for months on end.

Just finished reading an interview with Baby (Birdman) where he more or less confirms that he's waiting to "snatch up" Rick Ross and Game as soon as their contractual obligations with Def Jam and Interscope are fulfilled. He mentioned Jeezy too, but wasn't as clear as to what his plans were with him...

Just finished reading an interview with Baby (Birdman) where he more or less confirms that he's waiting to "snatch up" Rick Ross and Game as soon as their contractual obligations with Def Jam and Interscope are fulfilled. He mentioned Jeezy too, but wasn't as clear as to what his plans were with him...

I only glanced at an article on HipHopDX and he was kind of licking up to Ross a lot. Saying what he's doing with MMG is better than what Kanye is doing with GOOD Music.

Also what's the story with Birdman and Wayne calling each other father and son? Did he adopt him or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

he's no teflon don just a clown who has seemed to convince himself he's a gangsta. If this was ten years ago he would of been black balled but hip hop has changed so much maybe thats why he is still here, most of the gangsta rappers who have him ft'd on their music are desperate to be relevant hence him being on their music.

John Gotti was the original Teflon Don. Nothing stuck to him at all. Murder charges galore and he managed to evade them all.

Ross is a little like that imo. He has been outed as being a complete and utter fake yet he still manages to sell big quantities and he hasn't had to change his image at all as far as I know.

It could have more to do with the demographic that are paying for rap music these days. I'd imagine that a lot of his sales come from 'white suburban kids'. I've no stats to back that up but I can't imagine too many people who have actually encountered gangsters and all that would bother buying his music.

I feel he appeals to the Walter Mitty-esque dreams that people have of living a gangster life like Tony Montana. Maybe that's completely wrong but I can't really see too many other reasons to like him really.

John Gotti was found out in the end. As was our own 'Teflon Taoiseach' Bertie. They can't keep escaping and I think it'll all come crashing down around him sooner or later.

This is the thing Ross doesn't actually do big numbers , you'd be fooled into thinking so alright but the truth is he doesn't.

As far as the comparison to gotti , I can see the comparison in terms of Ross shaking of his past etc but he's still a product of the industry , a fake made up fantasy rapper while John gotti was very very real !.

I can understand people just having an interest in the music as its the most important thing but Ross is terrible most of the time. Really is possibly the most repetitive rapper Iv ever heard just raps about f*ck all graunting every few seconds.

I only glanced at an article on HipHopDX and he was kind of licking up to Ross a lot. Saying what he's doing with MMG is better than what Kanye is doing with GOOD Music.

Also what's the story with Birdman and Wayne calling each other father and son? Did he adopt him or something?

All the labels will be licking up to him for one reason $$$$. Jimmy iovine (not you ofcourse lol) was rumoured to be interested in getting him at interscope.

As far as game going to young money , personally wouldnt like to see it happen but this is game , he jumps on anyone or thing that's relevant. I read something about him possibly going indie a while ago so who knows but I'd defeintly hate to see him going over there.

On wayne and birdman , something like birdman took him in after his father died. Not too sure though.

This is the thing Ross doesn't actually do big numbers , you'd be fooled into thinking so alright but the truth is he doesn't.

As far as the comparison to gotti , I can see the comparison in terms of Ross shaking of his past etc but he's still a product of the industry , a fake made up fantasy rapper while John gotti was very very real !.

I can understand people just having an interest in the music as its the most important thing but Ross is terrible most of the time. Really is possibly the most repetitive rapper Iv ever heard just raps about f*ck all graunting every few seconds.

I didn't realise he hasn't had a platinum album yet. He seems to level out at 7/800,000. I was sure he'd sold a million of at least one album.

I'm sure he doesn't mind though. He probably has stacks and stacks from all the coke he has sold.

At the start, on his debut, he was at least half decent. Not amazing, but he didn't grunt on any of the songs. As someone said above he has a great ear for beats and that's on show on "Port of Miami". He has gone really far downhill now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

As far as game going to young money , personally wouldnt like to see it happen but this is game , he jumps on anyone or thing that's relevant. I read something about him possibly going indie a while ago so who knows but I'd defeintly hate to see him going over there.

He jumps on anyone who will give him the best deal so he can make his music, he does not want another Interscope/whoever lock-in.

I didn't realise he hasn't had a platinum album yet. He seems to level out at 7/800,000. I was sure he'd sold a million of at least one album.

I'm sure he doesn't mind though. He probably has stacks and stacks from all the coke he has sold.

At the start, on his debut, he was at least half decent. Not amazing, but he didn't grunt on any of the songs. As someone said above he has a great ear for beats and that's on show on "Port of Miami". He has gone really far downhill now though.

i taught so myself, i think he's struggled to go gold on his last few attempt's despite his so called rise in popularity since the 50 beef. I personally think he's just been put out there by his label so much that its easy to think he's more popular than he is.

id agree, he does have a pretty good ear for beats but lately all his songs sound the same with that BMF style beat which worked for a while but its a bit played out at this point imo.
    He jumps on anyone who will give him the best deal so he can make his music, he does not want another Interscope/whoever lock-in.

its nothing to do with jumping on who ever will give him the best deal, he's been with interscope since his debut. geffen are still interscope just like aftermath and g unit are.

documentary and doctors advocate he was riding the g unit wave , lax and red are like collaboration albums with all the features, he makes albums totally dependent on other artists to gain a buzz. Even his latest mixtapes are full of album leftovers again saturated with features, thats why it wouldn't surprise me to see game jumping ship to young money as their the biggest commercial label atm and who ever's hot game has to be seen with them in some way or another.

i know you like him a lot but its an undeniable flaw he has along with the constant name dropping but really just totally reliant on features for hooks and that extra verse to fill the song, all his albums are a clear representation of that. Over rated artist imo, despite the documentary being one of my favorite albums and a great album in doctors advocate.

his next album is called five i think and after red was released he said he is going to do it with no features or name drops, im looking forward to that as it will be something different from him, but i doubt he'l keep his word.

its nothing to do with jumping on who ever will give him the best deal, he's been with interscope since his debut. geffen are still interscope just like aftermath and g unit are.

documentary and doctors advocate he was riding the g unit wave , lax and red are like collaboration albums with all the features, he makes albums totally dependent on other artists to gain a buzz. Even his latest mixtapes are full of album leftovers again saturated with features, thats why it wouldn't surprise me to see game jumping ship to young money as their the biggest commercial label atm and who ever's hot game has to be seen with them in some way or another.

i know you like him a lot but its an undeniable flaw he has along with the constant name dropping but really just totally reliant on features for hooks and that extra verse to fill the song, all his albums are a clear representation of that. Over rated artist imo, despite the documentary being one of my favorite albums and a great album in doctors advocate.

his next album is called five i think and after red was released he said he is going to do it with no features or name drops, im looking forward to that as it will be something different from him, but i doubt he'l keep his word.

I know and he has not really been happy with them since his first album, and more so recently he wants out to wherever he gets a better deal.

He has a lot of features, something that is very common in hip-hop unless you are trying to prove a point. Something Game is doing on his next album, actually, is going with no features. As you mentioned, he has something to prove but most artists use features it is very very common and nothing to be held against him tbh.

G-unit wave? Huh, where are gunit now? Besides 50, I don't see the relevance of the point except you seem to like gunit and like 50 overestimate their importance in Games career.

I know and he has not really been happy with them since his first album, and more so recently he wants out to wherever he gets a better deal.

He has a lot of features, something that is very common in hip-hop unless you are trying to prove a point. Something Game is doing on his next album, actually, is going with no features. As you mentioned, he has something to prove but most artists use features it is very very common and nothing to be held against him tbh.

G-unit wave? Huh, where are gunit now? Besides 50, I don't see the relevance of the point except you seem to like gunit and like 50 overestimate their importance in Games career.

Ye I think this is his last album on his contract with interscope though , so he will actually be a free agent.

Seriously man, I'm not going to go into the facts and actually state how many ft's he's had on his albums especially the last 2 but it's well above average. He seriously struggles on hooks that is a huge factor in most of his ft's aswell as being a very average mc there's nothing strong lyrically about him , never was hence him filling songs up with verses from other rappers.

There's a difference in choosing to have ft's and actually needing features ! , the fact is game has never done it on his own back and I'm not talking rappers with a few ft's , his albums and mixtapes are saturated with ft's to the point when theres only 2 or 3 songs by himself on the album if we're lucky. I wouldn't take any notice if it was 1 or 2 albums or mixtapes but it's being his whole career ! That's why for me he is over rated and that's why he's so repetitive IMO.

I think it was xxl , they done a break down of the name dropping on the red album and it was just crazy and even at that it was no where near as bad as past albums.

The gunit wave as in 03 to around 06 when they were the number 1 commercial rap group, they didn't have their debut album beg for mercy in the billboard top 100 selling albums of the decade for no reason. Excluding outkast they were the only hip hop group to do big numbers in the list.The group is well and truly finished now though and has been for years just like game and young buck there all gone to the dogs.

Iv no problem saying it but you as a game fan fail to relize his flaws and the fact the his 2 albums have been rubbish despite the fact you think he is actually improving, that to me just says your a very very big fan and actually fail to relize how bad he's become. Iv said the very same about 50 more than once on the fact he to has fallen off and Most of his new stuff is just as bad but we are not talking about 50 , we are talking about game.

Yes, I know this is his last album on his contract hence his and others discussions/rumors on where he will go next.

It is opinion, he is a rapper most of them suck at hooks.

Lyrically yes he is not the best rapper ever, but he has only been rapping for 10 years and if you listen to most rappers first few years rapping they are crap but the Game came out good and stayed good.
    I think he has good lyrics but then again I put a lot more emphasis on the story then a dope hook and some average lyrics.

The Game released 100, 200 and 300 bars and countless mixtape songs without any features.

I am a Game fan, you are a 50 fan. You are making too big a point of that and are probably still stuck in 2006 on that point.

I never claimed he was a fantastic rapper, he is never likely to be in my top 10 or even 20 rappers of all time.

(also how this stemmed from me saying he would look for the best deal is beyond me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

the final straw for me was when diddy compared him to biggie, the only thing he has in common with big was his weight.

Did Diddy really compare him to BIG?

If he did he should be fúcking ashamed of himself, was never a fan of puff as a rapper or a person in general, if Biggie was alive he'd probably smack puff around the head for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Comparing anybody to Biggie is stupid as fúck in the first place.

Biggie was put away for selling crack, Ross talks about selling crack when really he was a CO.
    Biggie could rhyme rings around ross.

Diddy is an arse bandit.

• Advertisement

A famous rapper who mainly raps about crack/drugs/money/women being compared to a dead rapper who mainly rapped about crack/drugs/money/women. Not that much of a stretch.

Now I very much agree Biggie was a lot lot lot lot lot better than Rick Ross (he is terrible) the comparison is not laughable.

If Biggie was alive they would probably be collaborating and if not even if the comparison was made people would barely bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

If Biggie was alive they would probably be collaborating and if not even if the comparison was made people would barely bat an eyelid.

Purely hypothetical, but I would have to respectfully disagree

Had Biggie lived longer I would have expected to see more work with Jay-Z, Eminem, Method man, that coat tail riding clown Diddy, and possibly the likes of Snoop or Dre doing an East/West crossover. He would be telling the likes of lil wayne, drake and Rick Ross to get fúcked IMO

weemcd wrote: »
    Purely hypothetical, but I would have to respectfully disagree

Had Biggie lived longer I would have expected to see more work with Jay-Z, Eminem, Method man, that coat tail riding clown Diddy, and possibly the likes of Snoop or Dre doing an East/West crossover. He would be telling the likes of lil wayne, drake and Rick Ross to get fúcked IMO

They would, they rap about the same things it is very likely Biggie would collab with him.

Diddy is a clown but I would say he would still be working with Biggie, he was pretty good in the 90's with Biggie, Nas and others plus he was Bigs friend.

He would likely work with Ross and Lil Wayne, I don't know about Drake but that is possible too.

People get a weird god like complex with dead rappers.

Biggie would undoubtedly work with Ross if he was alive today. Everyone works with just about everyone in Hip-Hop.

Ross has worked with plenty of 90's legends - Diddy, Nas, Jay-Z, Dre and Snoop among others.

Biggie wasn't around long enough to sell out, but given the chance who says he wouldn't? Some people are delusional when it comes to talking about dead MC's and what Hip-Hop would be like if they were still around. Wake up.

Just found that someone uploaded Rakim's Dublin gig from last year onto Soundcloud.

Why oh **** did I not go to this gig. I'll regret this to my last day. He better come back again. I'd definitely travel to England to see him.

He even sounds amazing live. Most performers in general sound brutal live.

The God Emcee.

http://soundcloud.com/choicecuts/rakim-live-at-choicecuts-2011

this is my last reply on this because i can see what route its going to go down which is a shame because its impossible to critize game or vice versa here without it going or in this case turning into a g unit/50 cent comparrsion on who is better etc. iv been there more than once on boards and its just sad, its nearly as bad as tupac v biggie.:) its going to turn into it so il just leave it at this bud.
    The Game released 100, 200 and 300 bars and countless mixtape songs without any features.

great pieces of work but thats nit picking. The fact is his music is saturated with features, thats all im saying and for me its hard to say otherwise or infact look at it from a positive point of view because its not.
    It is opinion, he is a rapper most of them suck at hooks.
    i think its a fact man, even kurrupt said he cant write a hook. Without 50's hooks on the documentary you wouldn't of heard of game, without him being put with g unit he probably would of been another bishop lamont, Bitter pill to swallow but its true imo. For argument sake the same way 50 wouldn't of got big without the backing of eminem and dre, im not comparing the 2 or saying who's music is better etc im just saying his lack of ability to create consistent hooks for his music is a clear flaw and has been throughout his whole career hence me saying he relies too much on other artists to make albums and lately mixtapes.
    Lyrically yes he is not the best rapper ever, but he has only been rapping for 10 years and if you listen to most rappers first few years rapping they are crap but the Game came out good and stayed good.
    I think he has good lyrics but then again I put a lot more emphasis on the story then a dope hook and some average lyrics.

lyrically like i said there's nothing special at all but in terms of storys etc i think most of them have been said and done by him already. The fact you think he has stayed good is a matter of opinion, judgying by his last 2 albums he hasn't stayed good at all imo. He's declined , it is so obvious but if you think otherwise thats fair enough man no point in dwelling over it as its clearly a difference of opinion.
    I am a Game fan, you are a 50 fan. You are making too big a point of that and are probably still stuck in 2006 on that point.
    im a fan of both man, iv bought every game album bar the red album even though i purchased around 3 individual songs of it from itunes ,martians v goblins, ricky and the city which in my eyes were the only good songs on it.

iv stated that 50 has fallen of bad more than once and have no problem in doing so again, theres no being stuck in 2006 as the conversation started of about how i think game relies too much on features and doing somewhat of a diddy and just leaching of whoever is relevant at the time , thats why a move to young money wouldnt surprise me.

The only reason g unit was brought up by me was because i used it as an example for his first and second album. There was no 50 or g unit vs game comparison in that. I was just stating a fact that yes he was riding the g unit wave at that time just like lloyd banks,buck and yayo were, doesn't matter that game went against 50 infact that actually helped his career at the time in terms of exposure.

but look im finished on this, i said what i think so il just thank your reply (if you do) to acknowledge it man.:)

All this based on me saying he would get the best deal he could? Anyway, good point - this is going in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Comparing anybody to Biggie is stupid as fúck in the first place.

Biggie was put away for selling crack, Ross talks about selling crack when really he was a CO.
    Biggie could rhyme rings around ross.

Diddy is an arse bandit.
    Exactly, comparing Officer Ricky to Biggie is ridiculous.

It's beyond a joke really and hugely disrespectful from puff to compare them.

You'd think he'd have more respect for his 1st ever real flagship artist. Without biggie, bad boy wouldn't of being a relevant label IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

It's beyond a joke really and hugely disrespectful from puff to compare them.

You'd think he'd have more respect for his 1st ever real flagship artist. Without biggie, bad boy wouldn't of being a relevant label IMO.
    Biggie elevated Bad Boy and honestly I never thought Piuff would compare Ross to him. I think Puffy is trying to stay relevant tbh.

Advertisement