Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Eod100 wrote: »
    The majority of gigs I've been to have allowed re-entry.

And most festivals I've been to have given out wrist-bands to allow re-entry..

Yeah I understand why day ticket-holders won't be allowed re-enter but don't understand why the same applies to weekend ticket-holders..

The wristband thing would solve the abuse thing, they're dirt cheap and I was at a HTC phones/Hotpress thing a few weeks ago in town with Royseven playing (v average band we went for the free drink and food, full bar btw!) It was only on from 8 til 11 or so but they gave you one of those wristbands on entry, takes 20 seconds to put on you so no excuses. I wouldn't care about the non re entry think anyway if they had a range of drinks as I said in my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

ceegee wrote: »
    If they allowed reentry youd get loads of people leaving with their friends tickets to sneak others in. Even if they gave passes on exit youd have people saying they lost it, werent given one etc.

No reentry saves them the hassle / expense of all that (plus it boosts the bar takings which is the only reason this event is run)

Easy solution to that is just give out wrist-bands to weekend ticket-holders..

This happens at most festivals. Security personal put it on tight to stop people taking it off and giving it to friends.

Can understand not allowing day ticket holders re-enter but think its a bit silly to stop weekend ticket-holders from leaving..

Call me naive but I'd like to think the event is run so that people can enjoy music and the organisers can turn a profit. Fair enough they're trying to increase the bar sales but they'll make far more on ticket sales than bar sales. Seems cynical to force people to buy a certain drink at expensive price.

I understand that sponsorship comes in to this so only Bulmers drinks will be available to purchase at the event but I'd like the option to leave and purchase a pint of anything else and then come back.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Easy solution to that is just give out wrist-bands to weekend ticket-holders..

This happens at most festivals. Security personal put it on tight to stop people taking it off and giving it to friends.

Can understand not allowing day ticket holders re-enter but think its a bit silly to stop weekend ticket-holders from leaving..

Call me naive but I'd like to think the event is run so that people can enjoy music and the organisers can turn a profit. Fair enough they're trying to increase the bar sales but they'll make far more on ticket sales than bar sales. Seems cynical to force people to buy a certain drink at expensive price.

I understand that sponsorship comes in to this so only Bulmers drinks will be available to purchase at the event but I'd like the option to leave and purchase a pint of anything else and then come back.

I'd pay an extra tenner on a day ticket to a festival to have it not connected with just one drinks distributer and have a decent bar choice but I'm very much in a minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

at anybody who was at it last year

was there other beers being served? and how long would it take to get there to walk ?
    also is there any after parties on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

A V A wrote: »
    was there other beers being served?

No other beers other than Becks.
    and how long would it take to get there to walk ?

Depends where you are walking from, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 debris

I'm guessing you can bring food with you? Like, a picnic if you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

at anybody who was at it last year

was there other beers being served? and how long would it take to get there to walk ?

Button factory has an afterparty on, not sure bout others.

Think its about fifteen minutes from heuston to the entrance (not 100% on this, but its pretty close)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

It just occurred to me that Bulmers have just launched their new Caledonia Smooth beer. It would make sense to make that available as well. Not a notion what it's like though.

Morte wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that Bulmers have just launched their new Caledonia Smooth beer. It would make sense to make that available as well. Not a notion what it's like though.

I'd go for that as a last resort but the thing is drink companies don't make their full range available at these thing just one or two to make it easier for themselves and push that 1 or 2, Bulmers is part of the C&C group who distribute Inbev's stuff so that means over 200 beers they could sell there in theory, including Stella Artois, Brahma, Hoegarden, Beck's, and the ones I would go for: Goose Island Brewery and Leffe, it's not going to happen though :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.facebook.com/events/415875211768439/
    On top of all the excitement that comes with Forbidden Fruit this year, we're also throwing a host of Fringe parties to satisfy all you late night revellers! Here's a breakdown of what to expect over the weekend in The Button Factory, Twisted Pepper, Sin E, The Market Bar, Sweeneys and Pygmalion:

Friday 1st June

The Forbidden Fruit Opening Party in The Button Factory with Planningtorock making her Irish debut appearance (Dj/Vocal Set), a live set from the brilliant Tieranniesaur and a Dj Set from Belin based Kool Thing. Doors are 10pm for this event and there will be a FREE pint of Bulmers upon entry - what a great way to kick off your weekend! To RSVP email dave@pod.ie with PLANNINGTOROCK in the subject.

Saturday 2nd June
    The Button Factory will bring you a live performance from Swedish techno artist The Field who play the Main Stage earlier that day along with a live performance from Toby Kaar and full audio visual show from Arveene & Misk. Doors are 11pm, entry is €5 with your Forbidden Fruit wristband, €10 without.

The Twisted Pepper will host a Dj Set from one of the highlights of Forbidden Fruit this weekend, Friendly Fires who will no doubt be fresh from an electrifying performance on the grounds of IMMA! To top this off, Horse Meat Disco will follow their Dj Set at the festival and play a few tunes down at the Pepper! Doors 11pm, Entry €10 with your Forbidden Fruit ticket stub, €12 without

Sunday 3rd June
    Sunday is our big night for Forbidden Fruit Fringe parties with a host of parties across 6 venues in Dublin's City Centre:

The Button Factory brings a bumper lineup with Modeselekor , The Rapture AND Austra djing in the Temple Bar Venue. Doors 11pm, Entry €10 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket, €20 without.

The Twisted Pepper have techno dj Ben Klock playing along with Forbidden Fruit performers Real Estate and Peaking Lights both djing. Doors 11pm, entry €10 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket, €15 without.

The Market Bar will host our comedy Fringe Party! We have a very special secret guest, along with MC Danny Dowling ('Come Dine With Me' TV 3 Winner), John Colleary ('The Savage Eye' RTE 2) and Kevin Gildea (Fr Ted/The Veiw RTE 1). Doors 11pm, entry €5 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket.

Sin E on the quays will host a dj set from Dublin's band of the moment Cast Of Cheers. Entry FREE

Sweeney's will welcome Cleveland, Ohio's Cloud Nothings for a dj set following their performance at the festival that day. Entry FREE

Finally, Pygmalion will host a double header with dj sets from Com Truise and **** Robot. Entry FREE

Monday 4th June
    Join us in The Button Factory for the official wrap party with special guests and late night tunes. Entry FREE

• Advertisement

Asked Bulmers over Twitter what drinks will be available..

They responded with ''Pints of Bulmers Original and Beck's Vier, 330ml btles of Original/Berry/Pear/Light & 187ml btls wine. + Water/Soft Drinks.''

debris wrote: »
    I'm guessing you can bring food with you? Like, a picnic if you wanted?

Yeah I'd say so..

As in there's nothing in the FAQ's on the website saying you can't so go for it I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Funny how almost every festival thread on here usually comes down to a conversation on alcohol. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

BrianD wrote: »
    Funny how almost every festival thread on here usually comes down to a conversation on alcohol. Just saying.

well people are just asking what types of beers are available at a music event, fairly normal really. No one is implying they will go there to get hammered...although some will of course but personally I like to have a beer or two on a sunny day listening to some good tunes, simple pleasures.

not really, just the ones with odd or different situations than most normal festivals.
    almost every festival thread has little mention of alcohol, let alone a conversation about it, which is actually pretty good considering most festivals these days are (after making the promoter money) massive advertisements for alcohol brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I was quite interested in what they sell. I look at menus before I go to restaurants too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

For as long as I have been attending festivals, the choice at the bars has been limited to one sponsor pourer. Choice is limited for practical reasons. The pourer is invariably one or other of the big breweries.

I would have thought that all one would need to know is that there's a bar facilities and it's really not much odds what is served.
    I was quite interested in what they sell. I look at menus before I go to restaurants too

Except this is a music festival, not a restaurant.
    ...almost every festival thread has little mention of alcohol...

I don't agree. All of them do. Castlepalooza threads almost do straight away.

But I still don't see why people wondering what drinks are available is such a big deal. Leave them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Eggonyerface, do you ask the restaurants what music will be on their stereo :)

Ah in fairness there's been nearly 30 pages of chat so chances are it was going to crop up at some stage!

Only reason I care is because of the no re-entry policy which obviously dictates what drinks are available and what prices they'll be. It's just nice to know beforehand what the choice will be (and the price but haven't figured that bit out yet).

• Advertisement

HaHa! No I don't, but I'm not sure why I shouldn't ask around if I was going to spend ten hours there and someone told me they play music I don't like

I don't agree. All of them do. Castlepalooza threads almost do straight away.
    as i said in the part of my reply which you editted out, only the ones with odd or different situations to normal festivals.
    Castlepalooza is different to almost every other festival in Ireland regarding alcohol, hence why it's brought up in that thread.

at FF the choice is extremely limited. i can't think of any mainstream festival which doesn't serve a spirit of some sort at the bar.

none of the rest really have any significant discussion of alcohol other than someone asking what choices are available. this is entirely understandable seeing as alcohol is a major component of most music festivals in the western world.

as for your "all of them do" comment; no they don't.
    i've just scanned the Indiependence thread. please, feel free to point out in the 9 pages where there's a discussion about alcohol:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056543883

People who give out about the "what drink is there?" conversations need to get over themselves. For the vast majority of people (Id say 90%) a festival is not just about the music. Its about the social aspect too which is why people like to have a few/many drinks with their friends, generally people would prefer a choice of drinks. Seeing as the only beer on offer is one nobody i know drinks normally its no surprise people dont like it. Given the general sound quality at festivals its probably a good thing people dont go solely for the music or thered be even more complaining on threads.

If you found out the restaurant played jedward on loop would you go?

Music is a factor in peoples choice of restaurant/bar. Why is it so surprising that drinks range would affect peoples view of a festival (Its not like people are saying they wont go cos of it, just that its annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

ceegee, your points are well made - re jedward on loop, tbh i would probably still go if the food was great.

My comment was meant to gently poke fun at the analogy that was being made re menus/restaurants as I thought it was a bit tenuous.

My real view is basically what you said in comment #396 - a good drinks choice is a nice to have, a sh1te choice is quite annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

With this poxy Bavaria racing shutting down a lot of the city centre streets does anyone know how this will affect the free buses from Georges Quay which I believe is shut for the racing? Tara Street station is closed also Sunday which will mean people coming in by train jumping off at Pearse or Connolly and then having to get to Georges Quay (if buses still go) and negotiating crossing the bridges during racing for Northsiders..

PS No problem with the Bulmers for me and the missus as this is what we would usually drink on a sunny day anyway :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Gerlad

Gerlad wrote: »
    With this poxy Bavaria racing shutting down a lot of the city centre streets does anyone know how this will affect the free buses from Georges Quay which I believe is shut for the racing? Tara Street station is closed also Sunday which will mean people coming in by train jumping off at Pearse or Connolly and then having to get to Georges Quay (if buses still go) and negotiating crossing the bridges during racing for Northsiders..

PS No problem with the Bulmers for me and the missus as this is what we would usually drink on a sunny day anyway :D:D

Scratch all that - I see the buses have been switched to corner of Stephens Green with Harcourt St.

I would have thought that all one would need to know is that there's a bar facilities and it's really not much odds what is served.

If your a non drinker I'd understand your attitude but if your not I don't understand your "its going to be a great festival, there is almost zero choice of drinks being served" attitude, I'm not a big drinker but will probably have 3 or 4 drinks over the course of the day with my friends, what's wrong with expecting them to be something I enjoy instead of the piss poor offerings from C&C? As has been pointed out the food, drink and other offerings are all part of the festival experience along with the music. I remember the Electric Picnic in 2006 or 2007 and you could get little jugs of some english, non bulmers ciders from the pie vans as well as a stall in Body & Soul selling organic cider from a local farm, it was fantastic especially the cider from that stall, but Heineken cracked down on it and from then on it was only their stuff, drinks sponsership should be ditched and a full bar including produce from all the new Irish breweries like Galway Hooker and O'Hara's plus all the Irish cider producers should be available.

Edit- this was in reply to a post that seems to have disappeared

Im not sure why you quoted me? Im defending people asking about the drink on offer....

I selected the wrong post mate! rectified below.

• Advertisement

I selected the wrong post mate! rectified below.

Ive since deleted my post. People will start to think we're talking to ourselves!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement