Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forbidden Fruit 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Am off to Forbidden Fruit for all 3 days this weekend and despite really looking forward to lots of different acts there's really only one clash of note for me (which is a major result)

The clash is New Order (all time legends) vs Modeselektor (I like some tunes a lot and the youtube vids of their live show look great)

I'm fairly sure New Order will be a shadow of their former glories (perhaps verging on karaoke queen territory...) but 50% of the set is guaranteed gold just because the tunes are so epic.

As someone who is a big New Order fan, am I mad to be considering Modeselektor instead?

Very interested to hear views of people who've seen Modeselektor (particularly in a festival environment)

As things stand I'm thinking of starting off @ Modeselektor and then unless I'm totally entranced by their godlike brilliance, I'll head to New Order around 10 to 10.15 which should mean I get Blue Monday / True Faith / Bizarre Love Triangle / Love Will Tear Us Apart

discuss...
    if you've never seen NO before, i'd just go to them tbh.
    I've seen both before, but I think I'll probably go to Modeselektor as I think I'd prefer them to finish off the night. if the group I'm with want to watch New Order though, I'd be happy enough seeing them.
    Cast of Cheers are on at the same time too on the other stage, and are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Trek1000 wrote: »
    What match is this???

Some bog ball match.

The clash is New Order (all time legends) vs Modeselektor (I like some tunes a lot and the youtube vids of their live show look great)

I'm fairly sure New Order will be a shadow of their former glories (perhaps verging on karaoke queen territory...) but 50% of the set is guaranteed gold just because the tunes are so epic.

As someone who is a big New Order fan, am I mad to be considering Modeselektor instead?

Very interested to hear views of people who've seen Modeselektor (particularly in a festival environment)

As things stand I'm thinking of starting off @ Modeselektor and then unless I'm totally entranced by their godlike brilliance, I'll head to New Order around 10 to 10.15 which should mean I get Blue Monday / True Faith / Bizarre Love Triangle / Love Will Tear Us Apart

discuss...

I'm heading to The Cast of Cheers. They're going to be animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trek1000

JJ wrote: »
    Some bog ball match.

Oh for god sake. Ca't see many leaving to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Am off to Forbidden Fruit for all 3 days this weekend and despite really looking forward to lots of different acts there's really only one clash of note for me (which is a major result)

discuss...

Seen Bad Lieutenant, which is pretty much the same line up as New Order now, apart from Gilbert on keys, at Electric Picnic and they were FANTASTIC! The Bad Lieutenant stuff was poor but all the NO stuff sounded incredible, don't miss them mate.

• Advertisement

Just noticed this:
    Q: Can ticket holders exit and re-enter the festival?
    A: No there is no re-entry. Tickets must be retained. Weekend & 2Day ticket holders must show ticket each day to enter.

If that's the case, I'm surprised they're not doing wristbands. I can only imagine there's going to be people who get drunk and lose their tickets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

JJ wrote: »
    Just noticed this:

If that's the case, I'm surprised they're not doing wristbands. I can only imagine there's going to be people who get drunk and lose their tickets.

Last year they did wristbands for 2 day people

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Zarkandar wrote: »
    The Field's playlist for FF will most likely look something like this (not in this order)

It's Up There
    I have the moon
    Looping State of Mind
    Over the Ice
    Everyday
    The Little Heart Beats So Fast
    Sun & Ice
    A Paw in My Face

Really like The Field. However the placement on the main / outdoor stage is annoying me. Has anybody seen him/them do a big gig like that before? Would have thought they were better suited to a more intimate environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

i think you're right. day ticket holders had their tickets scanned and weren't allowed re-entry if they left. people with weekend passes got a wristband, and could come and go as far as i remember.

Makes sense. Way too much scope for messing and scamming if people are allowed to re-use tickets. Which is essentially what you would be allowing if it is only ticket based.
    Could be somewhat sorted by using wristbands, but organisers probably don't want to pay for them, and why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hubiedubie wrote: »
    Really like The Field. However the placement on the main / outdoor stage is annoying me. Has anybody seen him/them do a big gig like that before? Would have thought they were better suited to a more intimate environment.

I'd agree with you but you never know, he could surprise us all. It's just a pity he's on so early.

• Advertisement

official afterparties/DJ sets/live sets:
    http://www.facebook.com/events/415875211768439/
    On top of all the excitement that comes with Forbidden Fruit this year, we're also throwing a host of Fringe parties to satisfy all you late night revellers! Here's a breakdown of what to expect over the weekend in The Button Factory, Twisted Pepper, Sin E, The Market Bar, Sweeneys and Pygmalion:

Friday 1st June

The Forbidden Fruit Opening Party in The Button Factory with Planningtorock making her Irish debut appearance (Dj/Vocal Set), a live set from the brilliant Tieranniesaur and a Dj Set from Belin based Kool Thing. Doors are 10pm for this event and there will be a FREE pint of Bulmers upon entry - what a great way to kick off your weekend! To RSVP email dave@pod.ie with PLANNINGTOROCK in the subject.

Saturday 2nd June
    The Button Factory will bring you a live performance from Swedish techno artist The Field who play the Main Stage earlier that day along with a live performance from Toby Kaar and full audio visual show from Arveene & Misk. Doors are 11pm, entry is €5 with your Forbidden Fruit wristband, €10 without.

The Twisted Pepper will host a Dj Set from one of the highlights of Forbidden Fruit this weekend, Friendly Fires who will no doubt be fresh from an electrifying performance on the grounds of IMMA! To top this off, Horse Meat Disco will follow their Dj Set at the festival and play a few tunes down at the Pepper! Doors 11pm, Entry €10 with your Forbidden Fruit ticket stub, €12 without

Sunday 3rd June
    Sunday is our big night for Forbidden Fruit Fringe parties with a host of parties across 6 venues in Dublin's City Centre:

The Button Factory brings a bumper lineup with Modeselekor and The Rapture djing in the Temple Bar Venue. Doors 11pm, Entry €10 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket, €20 without.

The Twisted Pepper have techno dj Ben Klock playing along with Forbidden Fruit performers Real Estate and Peaking Lights both djing. Doors 11pm, entry €10 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket, €15 without.

The Market Bar will host our comedy Fringe Party! We have a very special secret guest, along with MC Danny Dowling ('Come Dine With Me' TV 3 Winner), John Colleary ('The Savage Eye' RTE 2) and Kevin Gildea (Fr Ted/The Veiw RTE 1). Doors 11pm, entry €5 with Forbidden Fruit Ticket.

Sin E on the quays will host a dj set from Dublin's band of the moment Cast Of Cheers. Entry FREE

Sweeney's will welcome Cleveland, Ohio's Cloud Nothings for a dj set following their performance at the festival that day. Entry FREE

Finally, Pygmalion will host a double header with dj sets from Com Truise and **** Robot. Entry FREE

Monday 4th June
    Join us in The Button Factory for the official wrap party with special guests and late night tunes. Entry FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'm sorta confused by their no re-entry policy..

Going by the after-party descriptions (which mention wrist bands) there will be wrist bands..So not sure why they'd stop all ticket-holders from leaving and coming back.

I've won a pair of weekend tickets and am hoping to bring 1 friend on the Saturday and Sunday and another friend on Monday. Officially, that's probably not allowed but do you reckon I'd get away with it?

Or would the wristband thing stop that? Unless I get my first friend to wear the wrist-band very loose or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

If the booze on sale is restricted to bulmers and (horrid) becks, how stringent are they on checking folks on entry? Just a simple pat down to uncover hidden naggins?

Forbidden Fruit are saying on Twitter that there won't be any wrist-bands and that weekend ticket-holders will have to hold on to the ticket and show it each day.

So looks like I'll be able to share the 1 ticket with 2 friends after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

No re-entry is a joke!
    This is to stop people leaving to drink at Super Valu and coming back in.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Forbidden Fruit are saying on Twitter that there won't be any wrist-bands and that weekend ticket-holders will have to hold on to the ticket and show it each day.

So looks like I'll be able to share the 1 ticket with 2 friends after all!

They also confirmed to me on Facebook that there will be no wristbands, you'll have to hold onto your tickets. They said if people lose their tickets then they may be able to trace the purchase if the ticket holders have their CC details.

No re-entry is a joke!
    This is to stop people leaving to drink at Super Valu and coming back in.

Yeah seems like they're taking the term captive audience a bit too literally!

Seems fairly unfair to force people to buy certain types of drink at an expensive price, especially on top of the price of a ticket (and if you're coming from outside of Dublin, accommodation and transport).

Apparently last year there were major problems with queuing and the bars so hopefully there'll be none of these issues again this year!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/06/07/the-juice-on-forbidden-fruit/

If the booze on sale is restricted to bulmers and (horrid) becks, how stringent are they on checking folks on entry? Just a simple pat down to uncover hidden naggins?

Based on other posts here, you'll be getting a fairly thorough pat down.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ugh.Im.Clashing

This might be a silly question but... would bringing wellies be recommended? Never been to FF before so I don't know what the location is like...

This might be a silly question but... would bringing wellies be recommended? Never been to FF before so I don't know what the location is like...
    if it stays dry then no, if it's pissing tomorrow and early saturday, then probably.

i'd say it would be fine saturday anyway, if it's wet then sunday nad monday might get muddy.
    it rained a bit on the sunday afternoon last year but the ground was still fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spiderw

Any private busses to and from Naas or Blessington? Especially Sunday
    Will share taxi..

Yeah seems like they're taking the term captive audience a bit too literally!

Seems fairly unfair to force people to buy certain types of drink at an expensive price, especially on top of the price of a ticket (and if you're coming from outside of Dublin, accommodation and transport).

Apparently last year there were major problems with queuing and the bars so hopefully there'll be none of these issues again this year!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/06/07/the-juice-on-forbidden-fruit/

There's a great old pub called The Royal Oak just outside the grounds, I used to live in apartments just beside it, if you could come and go as you please I'd pop in and out of that place all day in between bands for a decent drink, what if you said you had to pop out to check your car or some other plausible excuse, hard to believe you wouldn't be allowed back in?

There's a great old pub called The Royal Oak just outside the grounds, I used to live in apartments just beside it, if you could come and go as you please I'd pop in and out of that place all day in between bands for a decent drink, what if you said you had to pop out to check your car or some other plausible excuse, hard to believe you wouldn't be allowed back in?

Yeah aswell I'm not sure how they'd ''police'' it.Will it just be that when you first enter the grounds your ticket stub gets taken?

Or will they scan the ticket which means it can't be scanned a second time?

Chances are they're doing it to boost profits on drink sales but would love to know what answer they'd give to punters who asked about the re-entry policy. I'm guessing something like ''health and safety issues/crowd control issues'' .

probably this. each ticket can be scanned once per day, or they reset the scanners before gates open each day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Yeah aswell I'm not sure how they'd ''police'' it.Will it just be that when you first enter the grounds your ticket stub gets taken?

Chances are they're doing it to boost profits on drink sales but would love to know what answer they'd give to punters who asked about the re-entry policy. I'm guessing something like ''health and safety issues/crowd control issues'' .

They'd just say "No Re-Entry", same as every other gig in the country :confused:

Can understand weekend tickets but day tickets will be just like any other day event, there's never re-entry. Would leave it wide open to abuse.

Some of these big events are becoming "Drink our brand x" days with some music thrown in! Even worse its hypocritical when the crowd who run it also run the Electric Picnic where you can walk out to the local town for food and drink whenever you want to, I pay money to see bands I want to see not to boost the coffers of brewery's whose stuff I don't drink. They should get sponsorship (if its needed that badly, the price of a ticket should cover the cost of the bands, organisation, security etc) from non drinks companies then have proper bars with a wide range of spirits, ales, lagers and stouts or whatever. Its as ridiculous as having it sponsored by McDonalds and wanting to get a falafel, a pie or Asian food and been told only McDonalds food was available. Rant over! Enjoy the weekend everyone and hopefully the weather will pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

If they allowed reentry youd get loads of people leaving with their friends tickets to sneak others in. Even if they gave passes on exit youd have people saying they lost it, werent given one etc.

No reentry saves them the hassle / expense of all that (plus it boosts the bar takings which is the only reason this event is run)

nm wrote: »
    They'd just say "No Re-Entry", same as every other gig in the country :confused:

Can understand weekend tickets but day tickets will be just like any other day event, there's never re-entry. Would leave it wide open to abuse.

The majority of gigs I've been to have allowed re-entry.

And most festivals I've been to have given out wrist-bands to allow re-entry..

Yeah I understand why day ticket-holders won't be allowed re-enter but don't understand why the same applies to weekend ticket-holders..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Some of these big events are becoming "Drink our brand x" days with some music thrown in! Even worse its hypocritical when the crowd who run it also run the Electric Picnic where you can walk out to the local town for food and drink whenever you want to, I pay money to see bands I want to see not to boost the coffers of brewery's whose stuff I don't drink. They should get sponsorship (if its needed that badly, the price of a ticket should cover the cost of the bands, organisation, security etc) from non drinks companies then have proper bars with a wide range of spirits, ales, lagers and stouts or whatever. Its as ridiculous as having it sponsored by McDonalds and wanting to get a falafel, a pie or Asian food and been told only McDonalds food was available. Rant over! Enjoy the weekend everyone and hopefully the weather will pick up.

Weekend festivals will always have different rules regarding re-entry. Can you leave EP if you have a sunday ticket? (genuine question, dont know anyone whos gone for one day)

Also Id imagine the cost of running a festival without selling the drinks rights would make tickets too expensive to sell well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement