Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jojom

Hi ladies,

I just saw this in the daily mail and thought that you might want to read it. One sentence in particular struck a chord with me, when Nigel Mercer says "I don't think we will have definitely caught all of the women". I hope you don't mind me posting it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2115439/7-000-women-UK-faulty-breast-implants.html
    wow did u see the comments after that article :( sick !!!!

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi jojom how are u? Its great ur getting ur mri i had mine two weeks ago no rupture its grand dony worry i nearly fell asleep in there ha ha hope it goe well an any statement u cud give us would be much appreciated xx
    hi jean08 i will pm my story through pipactiongroup :) got my medical records yesterday a photocopy with no pic's ! is this normal do u know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nettie80

jojom wrote: »
    hi jean08 i will pm my story through pipactiongroup :) got my medical records yesterday a photocopy with no pic's ! is this normal do u know ?

Hi jojom

Unfortunately its quite common for you not to receive your photos along with your file. Im currently fighting with my clinic to have my photos included with my file. The answer they gave me was that they are the property of the implanting surgeon. Complete bullsh*t but theres not alot we can do about it.

Im getting more and more frustrated as the days go on with the whole saga. I'm absolutely furious, they girl in the clinic keeps telling me to ring her if I need anything or if I need help, but as I keep telling her, there is absolutely nothing she can do for me. We need to be able to talk to the big wigs in the clinics who call the shots, not frontline personel. #bangingheadagainstabrickwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

thanks everyone for all the comments,i wish all this would end for all of us its like being in a horror film!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funnyfakename

Hi jojom.

the comments are vile, but it is the Daily Mail and their readership aren't known for being open minded and unbiased. The article is interesting, ignore the idiots!

• Advertisement

nettie80 wrote: »
    Hi jojom

Unfortunately its quite common for you not to receive your photos along with your file. Im currently fighting with my clinic to have my photos included with my file. The answer they gave me was that they are the property of the implanting surgeon. Complete bullsh*t but theres not alot we can do about it.

Im getting more and more frustrated as the days go on with the whole saga. I'm absolutely furious, they girl in the clinic keeps telling me to ring her if I need anything or if I need help, but as I keep telling her, there is absolutely nothing she can do for me. We need to be able to talk to the big wigs in the clinics who call the shots, not frontline personel. #bangingheadagainstabrickwall.
    :mad:its scandalous they way were being treated...

nettie80 wrote: »
    Hi jojom

god its awful isnt it a fight at every corner :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi jojom how are u? Its great ur getting ur mri i had mine two weeks ago no rupture its grand dony worry i nearly fell asleep in there ha ha hope it goe well an any statement u cud give us would be much appreciated xx
    Hi jojom thanks for that that wud be great i didnt get my photos either but got my solicitor on to it they might be the property of the surgeon but under the freedom of information act u shud be entitled to a copy of the photos u shoul download the freedom of information act reqest form off the net and fill it out in respect of ur photos and register post it to hmg an i think they have 40 days to sen it to u and if they dont u can make a complaint to the data protection agency if u need advice u cud contact free legal advice centre flac they are in dun laoighre but give advice over the phone if u google flac the number will come up hope this helps x

hi everyone got my results no ruptures and no leaks they said.....so why dont i believe them,it dosent change the fact that these things are still inside us,we have to keep fighting and stick together to get these things removed and replaced free..i got a bad feeling when they rang me i noticed a nervous tone in the girls voice,still none the wiser to be honest cant seem to trust these people anymore,ive asked for a copy to be sent to me so i can have something in writing.dont know what to think now:(

sheba12 wrote: »
    hi everyone got my results no ruptures and no leaks they said.....so why dont i believe them,it dosent change the fact that these things are still inside us,we have to keep fighting and stick together to get these things removed and replaced free..i got a bad feeling when they rang me i noticed a nervous tone in the girls voice,still none the wiser to be honest cant seem to trust these people anymore,ive asked for a copy to be sent to me so i can have something in writing.dont know what to think now:(
    congrats on the results :) i went 4 my mri on wed in mullingar only to find the machine had broke down ! after 1 1/2 hr drive had to get back in the car and come home and now ive to wait 4 a call for another app :(

• Advertisement

congrats on the results :) i went 4 my mri on wed in mullingar only to find the machine had broke down ! after 1 1/2 hr drive had to get back in the car and come home and now ive to wait 4 a call for another app :(
    :(ah jesus u poor thing thats awful what a disaster its bad enough going in for that scan and to be told then to go home christ id go mad..im glad ive no ruptures or leaks but it still dont change the fact that we have these things inside us..we all should go and sit on the steps of hmg ha and protest that we need these taken out for free its not fair on the poor people thats not working and cant afford this surgery,have u got ur implants long?

:(ah jesus u poor thing thats awful what a disaster its bad enough going in for that scan and to be told then to go home christ id go mad..im glad ive no ruptures or leaks but it still dont change the fact that we have these things inside us..we all should go and sit on the steps of hmg ha and protest that we need these taken out for free its not fair on the poor people thats not working and cant afford this surgery,have u got ur implants long?
    ur rite even wit good results the fear and upset is still there :( i will hav mine 8 yrs in june ! back then i had a job, no mortgage only one child, things are very different now i could never afford it now,sure i had save for a few wks to afford the mri !!

how long have u had ur's?

hi jo jom my situation is the very same as urs..i could barely afford the scan,when i had the op both me and my partner were working now its only me! so were stuck with these inside us cos there no way i can afford it now..i have mine done 6 yrs sunday so my anniversary is real close ha!! i pray everyday that the imb or someone will make these clinics pay and remove these for free cos its the only way i can get them replaced!!! i have such a small frame id need to get them replaced not just removed and id dread to think what id look like without them,,hence the reason why i got them in the first place to have some dignity! and because no one bloody knows i have these done makes it even worse cos it was very personal to me i didnt boast about it or make it public knowledge..we have to stay strong and not give up all we have is each other in all this..if we stop fighting we,ll get knowhere.

hi anyone see sky news today it was on it all day about pip implants

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

Hi there,

Please watch the 6pm news tonight on RTE1, sorry for the late update, has been a pretty busy day for the group!

Wow SBJ, seems you're the first with a positive experience with that particular clinic. Glad it all went well for you in the end, what brand of implant did they replace you with in the end?
    SBJ wrote: »
    Hi All,

Well done to all involoved in the PIP Action Group, keeping our story going. I just want to share my experience as I havn't been on in a while. I am so suprised at all the negative experiences people are having with HMG, as advised back in Feb I too only found out about the PIP scandal at Christmas and contacted HMG, all of the people I have delt with in HMG have been brilliant and very supportive to me. I had my MRI referal letter sent out in the post to me and after the results showed I had 2 ruptures I was sheduled in for a pre op appointment 2 weeks later and my op was on 29th Feb, all went well thank God and I have had my implants removed and replaced FOC. The surgeon I had was an absolute gentlemen and from the offset just wanted to re-assure me that he would do his utmost to sort this for me. While I do agree that HMG did not handle this whole situation correctly in the first instance with regard to contacting PIP patients I do not believe that it is the "ground" staff who are to blame, I have found them all to be nothing but helfull and I understand the frustrations of all you ladies who have not had the experience I have had but we have to bear in mind that there was a nut case in France experimenting and we are the victims of this, I really do not believe that any of the clinics did this to us knowingly, but I do agree that they should take what ever steps they needed to, to fix it.

hi anyone see sky news today it was on it all day about pip implants
    i misssed it :( is ter new information ?

Pixiejane wrote: »
    Hi there,

Please watch the 6pm news tonight on RTE1, sorry for the late update, has been a pretty busy day for the group!
    hi pixiejane i missed it is ter any new info we should know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

Hi Jojom,
    missed the news myself, but found this article on RTE website if you want to have a look. Nothing new I'm afraid but at least it's now being discussed at government level.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0329/pip-breast-implants.html

:confused:
    :confused:missed it too..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hope1

Hi ladies havnt been on in a while head all over the place, had my MRI and got results this morning after waiting nearly 3 weeks thank god no rupture or leaks but still worried and just want them removed ASAP , I called the place in Dublin where I paid 280 for my MRI to see why I hadn't received my results yet, they said they had been faxed to hmg and my gp over a week ago, so they faxed again this morning to both places , really annoyed I called hmg and the nurse called me back to give me the results , she continued to tell me their was no health risk, no toxic substance and so on , I was so pissed off at this, continued to tell me if I wanted them removed it would be over 5,000 , I was so fuming I can't even remember the exact number she said, also for me to keep an eye on them and get regular ultrasounds , omg what the hell are wrong with these people, I definitely will be seeking legal advice and proceedings not letting this lie, it's so wrong and we should not have to pay for their mistake, does anyone kno a good solicitor deeling with these issues , thanks for reading , x

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

Hope1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies havnt been on in a while head all over the place, had my MRI and got results this morning after waiting nearly 3 weeks thank god no rupture or leaks but still worried and just want them removed ASAP , I called the place in Dublin where I paid 280 for my MRI to see why I hadn't received my results yet, they said they had been faxed to hmg and my gp over a week ago, so they faxed again this morning to both places , really annoyed I called hmg and the nurse called me back to give me the results , she continued to tell me their was no health risk, no toxic substance and so on , I was so pissed off at this, continued to tell me if I wanted them removed it would be over 5,000 , I was so fuming I can't even remember the exact number she said, also for me to keep an eye on them and get regular ultrasounds , omg what the hell are wrong with these people, I definitely will be seeking legal advice and proceedings not letting this lie, it's so wrong and we should not have to pay for their mistake, does anyone kno a good solicitor deeling with these issues , thanks for reading , x

Faulty Breast Implants and Irish Contract Law

The breast implants are indeed defective products, but the implants were fitted by medical practitioners in Ireland. PIP did not fit them; various doctors and medical clinics did. These implants were fitted in consideration of payment by the patient. That constitutes a contract between the clinic or doctor and the patient.
    The Sale of Goods Acts 1893-1980 will apply to these contracts. Under Section 14 (2) of the Acts, goods sold must be of “merchantable quality”. This means that the goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are commonly bought. Under Section 14 (3) of the Acts the goods must also be as durable as it is reasonable to expect.
    The available evidence is that the implants are not fit for the purpose for which they were bought. Industrial grade silicone implants are not, it is universally acknowledged, fit to be used as implants in human beings. It also appears that they are not as durable as it is reasonable to expect. (There are reports that their rupture rate is high). Even “doubts” about the safety of a consumer durable will be a major factor in treating a durable as un-merchantable.
    Liability under the Sale of Goods Acts 1893-1980 is strict. A retailer (in this case a medical clinic) cannot successfully plead that the defect in the product was not its responsibility. It is responsible for both patent and latent defects. Even a hidden feature of the goods will render the retailer liable if the state of knowledge of the industry at the time of supply was that such a feature was injurious, if it were to be present. It was always known that industrial grade silicone was unsuitable for human implants, thus triggering the liability of the medical clinic retailers.
    Irish women are free to issue proceedings directly against their Irish doctors and clinics as suppliers of the breast implants, pleading breach of contract and citing Section 14 (2) and 14 (3) of the Sale of Goods Acts 1893-1980. In addition to certain advantages of expediency, these claims will have a much higher success rate as the doctors and clinics, even if defunct, are insured.
    The compensation to which women undertaking such a case may be entitled include:
    • Reimbursement of the cost of the fitting;
    • The removal of the implants;
    • Financial damages for the pain and suffering of having them removed.
    The Statute of Limitations

Of great importance to plaintiffs in all litigation is ensuring that there is no possibility of the injured person’s claim becoming Statute Barred. This is the term used to describe the legal time limits within which an injured person must start their legal case. In the case of breast implant injuries, because of the interaction between claims in arising from breach of contract (which has a statute limit of six years) and claims arising from personal injury (which has a statute limit of two years), the relevant time limits will depend on the specific facts of each case.

IT WORTH TO READ FOR GIRLS WHO WANTS TO GO LEGAL !!
    I AM ONE OF THEM .

Thank you so much for this info very helpfull xx

Hello Ladies,

Hope you're all doing as well as can be expected. Just wanted to give you all a quick update on everything that's been going on to date. We do apologise for being off the boards radar in recent weeks, but please note that we have been very busy. I will update you all regularly from herein.

March proved to be a busy month for us. We met with the Irish Medicines Board. From this meeting, we got to have a meeting with the country's Chief Medical Officer. We showed him the statements that some of you ladies sent through to the website, and they proved to be very valuable in that this was the evidence we needed to show him. He was appalled by the treatement of patients of one particular clinic, and has since met with that clinic. In fact the Dept. of Health met with all the implanting clinics and the Irish Medicines Board.

Some of the ladies met with Patient Focus Group, www.patientfocus.ie. They met with two very influential and lovely ladies there, and they've helped us greatly in working on a care package for every woman in Ireland affected by PIP. Check out their website for further information, and feel free to contact them for any help or advice.

The PIP issue has also been raised in the Dail recently. Legislation has been passed and is forthcoming, not as quickly as we'd like, but hey this is Ireland! Positive outcome.

3 of the ladies from PIP Action Group got an hour's notice last Thursday to get themselves into the Dail as the Irish Medicine's Board were conducting a meeting with TD's, and we were tipped off to this meeting. So everything was dropped, including 9 children! to make it in and see what was going on. They met with a TD afterwards, and as a result of this attendance in the Dail, a cross party committee will be formed by the TD's to help us in our cause for PIP ladies. Our very own lady Sarita ended up with the RTE1 newsteam back in her house afterwards, and appeared on the 6pm news last Thursday also.
    TD Anne Ferris will be heading up this committee, along with a few other colleagues and then it's all systems go. This is a another big positive for the group and for affected PIP ladies as a whole. We have also been asked back to the Dail to put forward our presentation to all TD's on the 24th April, and we also have a follow up meeting with the Chief Medical Officer.

So it's looking like April will also be a very busy month ahead for us also. :)

girls you are doing great work thank you so much x

got my new date for mri this friday eek ! and they knocked a few bob off to make up for the delay :)

Hi ladies , just wondering has anyone had a consultation for removal and replacement of pips with cosmedico they are based in Dublin , any feed back would be great xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hope1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies , just wondering has anyone had a consultation for removal and replacement of pips with cosmedico they are based in Dublin , any feed back would be great xx

Hiya, I had a consultation with them, im going for the surgery in July hopefully im working on my deposit at the moment. I'll be getting Nagor impleo silicone implants.. i would love to just have the pips removed but dread what I would look like without having a replacement. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Have you been for a consultation yourself ?

Very good , have you found them good to deal with, no consultation yet but think I'd like to have a chat with them , I'm in the same situation , think will have them replaced , was reading up on the allergen naturelle they sound good and on their site they say you have a lifetime guarantee with them, don't kno the price as of yet though xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 021 shine

Hi there, I have just joined boards and am very anxious about implants I had done in Shandon Street Hospital in 2000 or 2001. Your threads were great to see that I am not alone. I have only just crawled out from under my rock and decided i need to find out if i have pip implants. Please please do you are anyone have any information about where i start? How do i get my medical records as they are gone into liquidation. I need all the help i can get and would really appreciate if anyone out there has information especially anyone who had them done in shandon street hospital cork. Thanks a mill.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement