Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

Pixiejane wrote: »
    http://www.finegael.ie/latest-news/2012/03/06/breast-implant-issue-needs-resolution-%e2%80%93-mitchell-o%e2%80%99connor/

Hi Ladies,

Have a read of this, hope it gives you all a little boost. Mary Mitchell O'Connor met with us last weekend and has promised to help. :)
    thats good news hopfully it will get these things removed and replaced for us but we wont stop the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EllaR

Hi girls, thanks so much to those who replied with great info and support when I posted on Monday. After loads of calls to many places I got an appointment for an MRI in Vincent's private hosp that same day. I was really worried because I felt pain and discomfort and heat night and day for days.
    Rang GP for results today thinking it was only a matter of telling me how bad the rupture was...but she gave me the ALL CLEAR. I cannot believe it. I'd completely convinced myself of the worst. I want to shout it from roof tops but hardly anyone knows I was going through this.
    I'm gob smacked that the pains were nothing and feel a bit stupid but v v happy. She told me the results were conclusive so please God thats definite?
    I hope I'm not being insensitive to anyone who did get bad results but I hope this helps those of you waiting for MRI or results and worried about pains and are panicking. I assume mine were hormonal (because theyve eased a bit by now but not completely) and due to anxiety about the whole thing.
    Next step is surgery still so Please post any info.
    Youve all been a really great help Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EllaR

sheba12 wrote: »
    hi all im new to this too i have pip too and ill have them done 6 yrs on the 25/3/2012 so my anniversary is real close as i lve in tipperary i have to go to kilkenny for my scan as im about 140 miles from mullingar. im very sore and all swollen i know something is wrong i can feel it like ye ive been treated like dirt by harley and we have been used as guinea pigs and have to keep fighting to have these things replaced and removed for free its not fair on the girls that are out of work and were expected to pay for this its a disgrace we should get our local tds to hop off the government and get these things out of us :mad:

Hi Sheba, I put a post up there about feeling pains n being completely sure something was wrong but I got all clear after all the worry. I still cannot believe it because I'd so convinced myself and I'd never felt those pains before. Pls try not to worry just get scan done asap for ur own peace of mind. It's a horrible situation to b in Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

EllaR wrote: »
    Hi Sheba, I put a post up there about feeling pains n being completely sure something was wrong but I got all clear after all the worry. I still cannot believe it because I'd so convinced myself and I'd never felt those pains before. Pls try not to worry just get scan done asap for ur own peace of mind. It's a horrible situation to b in Xx

http://www.independent.ie/health/health-news/buyers-be-very-wary-3039232.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

nettie80 wrote: »
    Good news, got my results today and there is no rupture, everything is at it should be! Major relief, I'm not going to lie, its been a crappy few days but now I at least know what to do.

For all the ladies awaiting their results, chin up and fingers crossed you get a good result. xxxx

Hi Nettie,

Glad your results were good, and you have a plan by the sounds of it ;) so best of luck girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dawntrek

Hi All

Ok spent the last 4 weeks doing my research before making another decision that I might regret AGAIN:(

I went to 3 places to have them removed and replaced and as I my mum is paying I wanted to make sure I made the right decision and it didnt come back on us again

The cheapest option (which was very tempting)with a place just outside Dublin where a lot of girls seem to be going for consultations, this is not where I will be going and I would encourage everyone to do what I did and do your research.

If you check you will see about lots of cases in the courts with women unhappy with various things included breast enlargements. Also one of the surgeons was struck off after a patient nearly died as a result of no aftercare.

The fact the surgeons fly in from all over the world and are gone the next day also scared me and the fact there are no full time medical people working there too.

So I have decided to have my in a hospital with an surgeon who lives in Ireland, it is nearly twice the price but one bitten twice shy.

In my research I found some really horrible things about the cosmetic surgery industry in Ireland - a chipper has more regulation that this - anyone with a medical degree can operate, you can operate in your front room or a garage if you make it look like a clinic and surgeons can fly in and run the following day.

Becareful and do your research...

Booked in for mid April.. feel myself again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

dawntrek wrote: »
    Hi All

Ok spent the last 4 weeks doing my research before making another decision that I might regret AGAIN:(

I went to 3 places to have them removed and replaced and as I my mum is paying I wanted to make sure I made the right decision and it didnt come back on us again

The cheapest option (which was very tempting)with a place just outside Dublin where a lot of girls seem to be going for consultations, this is not where I will be going and I would encourage everyone to do what I did and do your research.

If you check you will see about lots of cases in the courts with women unhappy with various things included breast enlargements. Also one of the surgeons was struck off after a patient nearly died as a result of no aftercare.

The fact the surgeons fly in from all over the world and are gone the next day also scared me and the fact there are no full time medical people working there too.

So I have decided to have my in a hospital with an surgeon who lives in Ireland, it is nearly twice the price but one bitten twice shy.

In my research I found some really horrible things about the cosmetic surgery industry in Ireland - a chipper has more regulation that this - anyone with a medical degree can operate, you can operate in your front room or a garage if you make it look like a clinic and surgeons can fly in and run the following day.

Thank you dawntrek I was looking into having surgery done with the cheapest option outside of the group who originally put these on me. This has now made me think again I might be back to square one now but it'll pay off in the long run. If you don't mind me asking where is the plastic surgeon based you are going with?

EllaR wrote: »
    Hi girls, thanks so much to those who replied with great info and support when I posted on Monday. After loads of calls to many places I got an appointment for an MRI in Vincent's private hosp that same day. I was really worried because I felt pain and discomfort and heat night and day for days.
    Rang GP for results today thinking it was only a matter of telling me how bad the rupture was...but she gave me the ALL CLEAR. I cannot believe it. I'd completely convinced myself of the worst. I want to shout it from roof tops but hardly anyone knows I was going through this.
    I'm gob smacked that the pains were nothing and feel a bit stupid but v v happy. She told me the results were conclusive so please God thats definite?
    I hope I'm not being insensitive to anyone who did get bad results but I hope this helps those of you waiting for MRI or results and worried about pains and are panicking. I assume mine were hormonal (because theyve eased a bit by now but not completely) and due to anxiety about the whole thing.
    Next step is surgery still so Please post any info.
    Youve all been a really great help Xx
    thats gret news im waiting on my scan now i am very sore at the mo dont know if its in my head or not ill let u know how i get on:)

• Advertisement

Belle2012 wrote: »
    Thank you dawntrek I was looking into having surgery done with the cheapest option outside of the group who originally put these on me. This has now made me think again I might be back to square one now but it'll pay off in the long run. If you don't mind me asking where is the plastic surgeon based you are going with?
    who are they i was thinking the same now but will be researching it a bit more now and can u let me know who doing ur surgery now and how much would be very greatful as we want the best this time round:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

sheba12 wrote: »
    who are they i was thinking the same now but will be researching it a bit more now and can u let me know who doing ur surgery now and how much would be very greatful as we want the best this time round:confused:
    I'm going to ring my gp in the morning and ask her to refer me to a plastic surgeon who's based in cork. It will cost more but better to be safe than sorry. I looked up the news results for the company I had consultation with yesterday and it turns out they were sued for lack of post op care. There are 4 surgeons based in cork so I'm hoping one of them will do it.

thats frightening im only about an hour from cork let me know how u get on best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gabby1205

Belle2012 wrote: »
    dawntrek wrote: »
    Hi All

Hi dawntrex , iv scraped the money together with the help of bank I'm not cutting costs. ill go to family if necessary. Can u please advise which hospital you are going to and name of surgeon please I'm looking at all options and want the best thks a millxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dawntrek

Hi Girls

If you want to PM me I will give you the details.

Also my dad just gave me a copy of the Phoenix magazine from this week which has a piece on the clinic I was looking at and the legal issues with patients, doctors and for breaching advertising codes -

Its says "4 seperate sets of legal proceedings were lodged last year alone" and and a number of settlements. Thank god for the internet!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dawntrek, I find this post really upsetting. I have been to the clinic I suspect you are referring to and I had a really good experience. The clinic seemed to be the choice of most of us girls getting our PIPS out and all the girls like Saulite and the primetime girl etc seem to have as positive a time as me there. I think that you have brought another matter to the attention of us women which is nothing to do with the PIP scandal. i am an avid follower of this board as i have found it a great support throughout my ordeal. this is my first post but ladies THANK YOU for you help through this. The name of this boards group is PIP support thread, and i dont think we should get into a battle about Clinics on it. Us women were given faulty cheap implants by clinics who took short cuts for money. The surgeons also carrying out the operation need to take responsibility as well. I researched every clinic in the country and eventually decided on a clinic that had no association with Pip implants. This is the most important issue at least, it was to me. I also knew about the surgeon who was stuck off and you may have seen from your research he also worked in 3 other clinics in the Dublin/Kildare so I wasnt worried. Honestly, i would recommend them. Also worth knowing check the courts on all the other clinics – you may find a lot more than you imagined mentioned there (and more in the future when us PIP girls are finished!!) You seem to have a bit of an issue against this company, but most important to us all here is the PIP issue.The clinic told me They too were offered the cheap pips implants but refused. That tells me something- that i can trust it is not a clinic that would take the cheap option and has good quality products, I suppose its everyone to their own but thats why i had PIPS out with them and Im so glad i did. I would suggest all the women ask questions to every clinic, especially the ones raised over the last few months and then decide for yourself. Dawntrek i dont mean to sound harsh but advertising issues are not something that are important to this group - PIPS are!!Lets just try to keep supporting each other and not use this website to be unnecessarily scaring people, we all need to lean on each other and be positive xx

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

Hi girls, I am so sorry for not being around, I forgot my password :(
    I hope you are all ok and thank you again to all those on here for the wonderful support I have been given

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

applejam wrote: »
    Hi girls, I am so sorry for not being around, I forgot my password :(
    I hope you are all ok and thank you again to all those on here for the wonderful support I have been given
    Hey applejam how ar u?

its great to have someone to talk to thats in the same position as urself i know only for these people and this site i would have been lost thanks everyone:)

thank u just waiting for charter medical to ring me now still cant seem to calm myself down when i rang hmg yesterday they said they would refer me god only know how long it will take wish it was over and done with now,just have that feeling somethings wrong and with breast cancer in the family i need not tell u the things that are going through my head i would be delighted now for one desent nights sleep and for the worry to go...the only thing keeping me going is that im not on my own and theres hundreds more like me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hey applejam how ar u?

Hiya, I'm doing ok, still waiting for my medical records from the liquidators but I'm trusting the IMB ( for now ) that I don't have PIP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry ladies, missed this anon post earlier so repeating it in case it gets lost in the previous page.
    Dawntrek, I find this post really upsetting. I have been to the clinic I suspect you are referring to and I had a really good experience. The clinic seemed to be the choice of most of us girls getting our PIPS out and all the girls like Saulite and the primetime girl etc seem to have as positive a time as me there. I think that you have brought another matter to the attention of us women which is nothing to do with the PIP scandal. i am an avid follower of this board as i have found it a great support throughout my ordeal. this is my first post but ladies THANK YOU for you help through this. The name of this boards group is PIP support thread, and i dont think we should get into a battle about Clinics on it. Us women were given faulty cheap implants by clinics who took short cuts for money. The surgeons also carrying out the operation need to take responsibility as well. I researched every clinic in the country and eventually decided on a clinic that had no association with Pip implants. This is the most important issue at least, it was to me. I also knew about the surgeon who was stuck off and you may have seen from your research he also worked in 3 other clinics in the Dublin/Kildare so I wasnt worried. Honestly, i would recommend them. Also worth knowing check the courts on all the other clinics – you may find a lot more than you imagined mentioned there (and more in the future when us PIP girls are finished!!) You seem to have a bit of an issue against this company, but most important to us all here is the PIP issue.The clinic told me They too were offered the cheap pips implants but refused. That tells me something- that i can trust it is not a clinic that would take the cheap option and has good quality products, I suppose its everyone to their own but thats why i had PIPS out with them and Im so glad i did. I would suggest all the women ask questions to every clinic, especially the ones raised over the last few months and then decide for yourself. Dawntrek i dont mean to sound harsh but advertising issues are not something that are important to this group - PIPS are!!Lets just try to keep supporting each other and not use this website to be unnecessarily scaring people, we all need to lean on each other and be positive xx

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

Agree with PipFirstPoster that this is an excellent support thread and where would we be without it. But can understand how some posters (if they are actually genuine pip victims) might feel they are helping others by posting up any info they feel is relevant about clinics, whether that be good or bad.

But I think it goes without saying, that everyone should be careful about taking anything written on this thread as fact until you have verified it yourself, as there is the possibility that some of the posters on this thread may not genuine. Easy enough to verify actual details like surgeons, court cases etc., harder to verify good or bad personal experiences.

At the end of day, everyone has to be happy with their own choice of clinic/surgeon so to repeat what has been said so often on this thread - do your own research. Quite possibly there are many women out there who didn't do as much research as they should the first time round (me being one of them - didn't even know at the time of my original surgery that there were different brands of implant:o).

Meet with as many clinics and surgeons as you can until you are happy with your choice and remember when researching, that Google is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Upset lady

Hi everyone...Haven't posted for a while but read the forum everyday. Had an MRI a few weeks ago and eventually picked up the courage to ring the GP yesterday. Got the all clear
    and implants are in tact thank God....delighted with the news and hope it helps anyone waiting on results. Wasn't expecting good news as have a lot of discomfort with my implants since the op nearly 3 years ago now. Next decision when and with whom to have them removed/replaced. Anyone out there from Cork made similar decisions.
    Great work being done by the PIP Action Group ....yer an inspiration to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

Hey girls,

Hope your all doing ok out there. Great to see people are getting support from the thread. Lots of new people posting which is great. Got my MRI results-rippling, very strange shape but no rupture for me, but still not happy with my pips want them out asap as I m sure all of you do, plus also have my family and friends wanting me to get them out.

Can I ask has anyone gotten their implants out and not replaced? Have to be honest it is something I thinking of.

PIP Action Group Ireland- just a quick update

The action group is going strong also, we have meet with TD's and have already gotten a written answer from a dail question that was raised, we are working on more at the moment.
    We have also been meeting with patient group who can help every one of us 1500 pip ladies, hope to have some information next week to put up for you all.
    The meeting with the IMB went really well , but no resolution for us all yet:(
    We have also just been given word that another big meeting is on the way for the action group so we can voice the concern of all involved. But We need to gather statement/ stories and experiences good and bad from pip ladies out there. This is not for use in the media it is for use in private meeting and all name, contact details would be kept confidential.
    If you can help us with this it will strengthen our case with those in power that can help us get these pip s out of us. Please e mail directly through the web site www.pipactiongroup.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

one of the PIP Action Group ladies did this interview that was printed in the indo yesterday (sorry I m a bit late posting in up yesterday was crazy:o) Well done Sarita and thank you for sharing your story xx

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/getting-my-breasts-done-changed-my-life-i-want-my-implants-replaced-3045746.html

fair play to her and all of you only for this group and boards.ie id have been lost still waiting on my scan hopefully it will be ok ill keep ye informed thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

kyra123 wrote: »
    one of the PIP Action Group ladies did this interview that was printed in the indo yesterday (sorry I m a bit late posting in up yesterday was crazy:o) Well done Sarita and thank you for sharing your story xx

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/getting-my-breasts-done-changed-my-life-i-want-my-implants-replaced-3045746.html[/QUOTE]

Well said indeed. Great interview and picture, well done Sarita, so proud of you and thank you so much. Took lots of courage and strength to do it and you have it by the bucketloads girl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Upset lady

Well done Sarita. Great interview and it must have taken a lot of courage to do.
    You should be proud of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SBJ

Hi All,

Well done to all involoved in the PIP Action Group, keeping our story going. I just want to share my experience as I havn't been on in a while. I am so suprised at all the negative experiences people are having with HMG, as advised back in Feb I too only found out about the PIP scandal at Christmas and contacted HMG, all of the people I have delt with in HMG have been brilliant and very supportive to me. I had my MRI referal letter sent out in the post to me and after the results showed I had 2 ruptures I was sheduled in for a pre op appointment 2 weeks later and my op was on 29th Feb, all went well thank God and I have had my implants removed and replaced FOC. The surgeon I had was an absolute gentlemen and from the offset just wanted to re-assure me that he would do his utmost to sort this for me. While I do agree that HMG did not handle this whole situation correctly in the first instance with regard to contacting PIP patients I do not believe that it is the "ground" staff who are to blame, I have found them all to be nothing but helfull and I understand the frustrations of all you ladies who have not had the experience I have had but we have to bear in mind that there was a nut case in France experimenting and we are the victims of this, I really do not believe that any of the clinics did this to us knowingly, but I do agree that they should take what ever steps they needed to, to fix it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement