Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi girls,
    I got my MRI results today and I have a leak in my left breast, sent them onto the HMG, they rang back saying they consider it a rupture and will replace for me. She was giving me a date for late April but I have my sisters wedding the start of May abroad so I'll have to wait until after that. What is everyone saying to their employer's? I don't have that may days holidays left to take so I dont know what to do. Probably end up taking days at my own expense....what is the recovery time for it second time around?..... Feels like such a mess just wish it was over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

hi everyone what a brilliant woman fair play to her id love to be like her,,just got a call today from charter medicaland i have my scan in 2 days time(wednesday) cant believe i got it so quick as i was only referred on thursday last,,very anxious about it but at least ill know for sure if theres anything wrong,thanks to everyone again for all ur help:)

lOlly30 wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    I got my MRI results today and I have a leak in my left breast, sent them onto the HMG, they rang back saying they consider it a rupture and will replace for me. She was giving me a date for late April but I have my sisters wedding the start of May abroad so I'll have to wait until after that. What is everyone saying to their employer's? I don't have that may days holidays left to take so I dont know what to do. Probably end up taking days at my own expense....what is the recovery time for it second time around?..... Feels like such a mess just wish it was over!!!
    :confused:i know how u feel my employer or workmates dont even know i have them i have my scan in 2 days time very anxious about it dont know what to think about it dont know how long recovery is but all i know is i have one weeks holidays left and if anything shows up in my scan i only have a week so yeah some women will probably have to take time off at there own axpense bloody scandalous:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

Hi girls,
    Hi lolli30 so sorry to hear you have a leak. Depending on your job a week would be more than enough if you don't have to do any lifting or anything. But a week and half to 2 if you do have to do anything strenuous just to be on the safe side. You should ring your gp and ask will they sign you off on the sick you should get social welfare then. You will be post op and my gp has said she will. Your surgeon will be able to give you a note for work saying you had surgery you don't have to say what you had done. Say you got gall stones removed or something like that. Hope that helps good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DD14

Belle2012 wrote: »
    Hi lolli30 so sorry to hear you have a leak. Depending on your job a week would be more than enough if you don't have to do any lifting or anything. But a week and half to 2 if you do have to do anything strenuous just to be on the safe side. You should ring your gp and ask will they sign you off on the sick you should get social welfare then. You will be post op and my gp has said she will. Your surgeon will be able to give you a note for work saying you had surgery you don't have to say what you had done. Say you got gall stones removed or like that. Hope that helps good luck
    Hi lolli30, i had my scan and surgeon appointments early in the mornings so I just started late in the morning and worked through lunch to make up the time. Running out of excuses why I need so much time off.My surgery is booked for a Thursday so I will take Thurs and Fri as holidays hopefully be ok to go back in work on monday if not I will get my gp to give me a sick note. I have a desk job so should be ok to after couple days.

• Advertisement

SBJ wrote: »
    Hi All,

Well done to all involoved in the PIP Action Group, keeping our story going. I just want to share my experience as I havn't been on in a while. I am so suprised at all the negative experiences people are having with HMG, as advised back in Feb I too only found out about the PIP scandal at Christmas and contacted HMG, all of the people I have delt with in HMG have been brilliant and very supportive to me. I had my MRI referal letter sent out in the post to me and after the results showed I had 2 ruptures I was sheduled in for a pre op appointment 2 weeks later and my op was on 29th Feb, all went well thank God and I have had my implants removed and replaced FOC. The surgeon I had was an absolute gentlemen and from the offset just wanted to re-assure me that he would do his utmost to sort this for me. While I do agree that HMG did not handle this whole situation correctly in the first instance with regard to contacting PIP patients I do not believe that it is the "ground" staff who are to blame, I have found them all to be nothing but helfull and I understand the frustrations of all you ladies who have not had the experience I have had but we have to bear in mind that there was a nut case in France experimenting and we are the victims of this, I really do not believe that any of the clinics did this to us knowingly, but I do agree that they should take what ever steps they needed to, to fix it.

Hi SJB, my eperience is very similar to yours. I have my surgery booked to get them replaced in May with Dr D, is this who you dealt with in HMG. I am starting to get doubts though whether to have them replaced when I watch video clips of the removal of the PIPs, its scary stuff to watch.
    I really dont want to have to go through this ever again. I suppose we can just hope this will never happen again and that the replacements are top quality. How were you after surgery and is recovery as long as thAe first time round. Hoping just to take a few days off work as my employers or work colleagues have no idea I am caught up in this scandle. Did HMG keep your PIPs when they removed them, I am just wondering if any ruptured ones are being sent to labs for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hope1

Had my MRI done today so just have to wait now on results hopefully won't be too long . Had It done in chtr med . The girl was lovely, it's horrible nit knowing the results straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hope1

Lolli30 so sorry to hear you have a leak please god you will have all this sorted as soon as :-) try not to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

DD14 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Well done to all involoved in the PIP Action Group, keeping our story going. I just want to share my experience as I havn't been on in a while. I am so suprised at all the negative experiences people are having with HMG, as advised back in Feb I too only found out about the PIP scandal at Christmas and contacted HMG, all of the people I have delt with in HMG have been brilliant and very supportive to me. I had my MRI referal letter sent out in the post to me and after the results showed I had 2 ruptures I was sheduled in for a pre op appointment 2 weeks later and my op was on 29th Feb, all went well thank God and I have had my implants removed and replaced FOC. The surgeon I had was an absolute gentlemen and from the offset just wanted to re-assure me that he would do his utmost to sort this for me. While I do agree that HMG did not handle this whole situation correctly in the first instance with regard to contacting PIP patients I do not believe that it is the "ground" staff who are to blame, I have found them all to be nothing but helfull and I understand the frustrations of all you ladies who have not had the experience I have had but we have to bear in mind that there was a nut case in France experimenting and we are the victims of this, I really do not believe that any of the clinics did this to us knowingly, but I do agree that they should take what ever steps they needed to, to fix it.

Hi SJB, my eperience is very similar to yours. I have my surgery booked to get them replaced in May with Dr D, is this who you dealt with in HMG. I am starting to get doubts though whether to have them replaced when I watch video clips of the removal of the PIPs, its scary stuff to watch.
    I really dont want to have to go through this ever again. I suppose we can just hope this will never happen again and that the replacements are top quality. How were you after surgery and is recovery as long as thAe first time round. Hoping just to take a few days off work as my employers or work colleagues have no idea I am caught up in this scandle. Did HMG keep your PIPs when they removed them, I am just wondering if any ruptured ones are being sent to labs for testing.
    Hi everyone we are just looking for any ladies who would be able to give us a statement reharding tgis whole situation from when u foun out about pip and when u were ingormed u personally had pip and how the clinic u had ur surgery with has dealt with you to now also is u have had an mri what were the results etc basically an account of ur story so far be it a good bad or indiferent experience i would also like to stress that these statements would ne completely confidential no names or details would be shared we will be presenting all of these to the cheif medical oficcer in the next few days to show everyones side of the story so if anyone would like to do this just pm myself or any of the other ladies from pip action group xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SBJ

DD14 wrote: »

Hi DD14,

Yes Dr D carried out my surgery, I found him really nice and a really good surgeon very aware of how stressfull the whole thing is. I couldnt believe the difference in the recovery time versus my first op, I have been replaced with similar sized implants and thankfully had none of that horrible muscle pain / soreness, but I am lucky, I had a ruture in each implant but no leaks so there was no major cleaning required, my op was pretty straight forward and took less than 1 hour. I was able to have a shower the following day and wash my own hair not like after my original surgery, obviously a little soreness from the incisions but thats really it. I got a sick cert from the Hospital for a week but I would have been able to go back to work sooner. Luckily my boss knows about my implants so I have been very lucky to get support from my employeer and dont have any hassel with regard to time off. I have to say I am delighted with DR D and the results I have got, there is no way I would have gone back to having no implants. My sister has her Allergan implants for almost 12 years now she has regular checks on them and has gone through 2 pregnancy's, so I'm confident that i have made the right decision to have them replaced and not just removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

Hi DD14,

Yes Dr D carried out my surgery, I found him really nice and a really good surgeon very aware of how stressfull the whole thing is. I couldnt believe the difference in the recovery time versus my first op, I have been replaced with similar sized implants and thankfully had none of that horrible muscle pain / soreness, but I am lucky, I had a ruture in each implant but no leaks so there was no major cleaning required, my op was pretty straight forward and took less than 1 hour. I was able to have a shower the following day and wash my own hair not like after my original surgery, obviously a little soreness from the incisions but thats really it. I got a sick cert from the Hospital for a week but I would have been able to go back to work sooner. Luckily my boss knows about my implants so I have been very lucky to get support from my employeer and dont have any hassel with regard to time off. I have to say I am delighted with DR D and the results I have got, there is no way I would have gone back to having no implants. My sister has her Allergan implants for almost 12 years now she has regular checks on them and has gone through 2 pregnancy's, so I'm confident that i have made the right decision to have them replaced and not just removed.

Hi SJB,
    thanks for sharing your post-op experience and very glad to hear it all went so well for you. Dr. D is operating on me in May so delighted to hear that you were really happy with him. Also glad to hear it's not as painful - second time round. The first time I had them done, it felt like a truck sitting on top of my chest and couldn't lift my arms up for about 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ilmm2012

Hi everyone thanks for all the lovely comments and positive feedback the interview was very hard to do but I think it was the right thing, we need to keep our story out there!

Sarita xxx

Upset lady wrote: »
    Hi everyone...Haven't posted for a while but read the forum everyday. Had an MRI a few weeks ago and eventually picked up the courage to ring the GP yesterday. Got the all clear
    and implants are in tact thank God....delighted with the news and hope it helps anyone waiting on results. Wasn't expecting good news as have a lot of discomfort with my implants since the op nearly 3 years ago now. Next decision when and with whom to have them removed/replaced. Anyone out there from Cork made similar decisions.
    Great work being done by the PIP Action Group ....yer an inspiration to us all.

Hi Upset lady that's great news absolutely delighted for you, Im still awaiting my results they think they'll have them for me tomorrow!

Hi girls,

So sorry Lolly to hear you have a leak and that you have to wait for your op, how are you doing?

sheba12 wrote: »
    hi everyone what a brilliant woman fair play to her id love to be like her,,just got a call today from charter medicaland i have my scan in 2 days time(wednesday) cant believe i got it so quick as i was only referred on thursday last,,very anxious about it but at least ill know for sure if theres anything wrong,thanks to everyone again for all ur help:)

Sheba good luck with your scan tomorrow as the girls said they are lovely there and will treat you well

Hope1 wrote: »
    Had my MRI done today so just have to wait now on results hopefully won't be too long . Had It done in chtr med . The girl was lovely, it's horrible nit knowing the results straight away.

Hope you get your results back quickly Hope1 xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 janbom

hi everyone,

i have bn following u everywhere at this stage and have finally found the courage to mail. i am so upset to be caught up in such an appauling situation. i luv my boobs and have never had an issue wit them so i neednt tell any of u how horrified i was. i have bn in denial till now untill i recieved a referral letter from the hmg this wk to have scans done. i still have had no confirmation letter from them other than a letter late jan that said i may likely have pip. madness!!! i rang the hmg to ask them y i got a referral letter wen i am not even a definite pip patient and she said sorry that the letter wit my implant serial numbers should have come before my referral letter and she apologised for the confusion. is this an admission that i have pip?? i am taking no chances and have booked an mri for wed week with charter medical as i am not jeopardiseing my health. i am going to remove the implants rupture or not even if have to borrow the money, as i am terrified of long term effects. i am a single parent and cannot afford to wait and c if i get sick from this substandard product in my body.

i really want to thank u so much for this thread and fb, as it has bn v informative to me and a huge support. u all have bn v brave going public on tv3 and primetime,as i kno how private i felt makin my decision and to b forced in to the limelight then must b v daunting. so pls keep up the gud work. thanks again

Hi Ladies just incase this post was missed earlier thought Id post it up again it's very important and vital for us to have for our meeting and i know you would all like to help out and do your bit :D:D

Hi everyone we are just looking for any ladies who would be able to give us a statement regarding this whole situation, from when you found out about PIP and when you were informed personally that you had pip.How did the clinic treat you up to now also Have you had an mri what were the results? Basically an account of your story so far be it a good, bad, or indifferent experience we would also like to stress that these statements would be completely confidential!!! No names or details would be shared we will be presenting all of these to the chief medical officer in the next few days to show everyones side of the story so if anyone would like to do this just pm myself or any of the other ladies from pip action group xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jojom

HI ILMM I HAVNT BEEN ONLINE IN A WHILE JUST HAD TO TAKE A BREAK FROM IT ALL :( HAVE MY MRI NEXT WED IN ST FRANCIS MULLINGAR ! I WOULD LIKE TO VOULENTEER MY STORY IF THIS HELPS JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO X

jojom wrote: »
    HI ILMM I HAVNT BEEN ONLINE IN A WHILE JUST HAD TO TAKE A BREAK FROM IT ALL :( HAVE MY MRI NEXT WED IN ST FRANCIS MULLINGAR ! I WOULD LIKE TO VOULENTEER MY STORY IF THIS HELPS JUST LET ME KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO X
    Hi jojom how are u? Its great ur getting ur mri i had mine two weeks ago no rupture its grand dony worry i nearly fell asleep in there ha ha hope it goe well an any statement u cud give us would be much appreciated xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SBJ

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi everyone we are just looking for any ladies who would be able to give us a statement reharding tgis whole situation from when u foun out about pip and when u were ingormed u personally had pip and how the clinic u had ur surgery with has dealt with you to now also is u have had an mri what were the results etc basically an account of ur story so far be it a good bad or indiferent experience i would also like to stress that these statements would ne completely confidential no names or details would be shared we will be presenting all of these to the cheif medical oficcer in the next few days to show everyones side of the story so if anyone would like to do this just pm myself or any of the other ladies from pip action group xxx

I am happy for you to use my story. What do I need to do.

jeano8 wrote: »

I am happy for you to use my story. What do I need to do.
    Hi sbj u just need to pm me ur story so far like wen u first foynd out how u have been treated by ur clinic have u had an mri what were the results etc it will all be confidential of course an thank you so much xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nettie80

Hi Ladies,

Just came across this article today, its interesting in so far as a woman in england was refunded her money when she used her credit card to pay for her implants. Lloyds TSB gave her back her money on the grounds that she was sold a faulty product. I wonder if something similar to this could happen in Ireland?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/13/lloyds-tsb-implants-credit-card?newsfeed=true

Have any ladies on here been told by the surgeons that it is better to have the PIP implants removed first and wait 3 months for replacement to give the breast tissue time to recover from the leaking silicone. This is being quoted alot on UK facebook pages. That would mean 2 operations and I dont fancy going through 2 ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

hi all had my scan yesterday,and have to say it was sickening,i thought my head was gonna bust wi th the pain in it after coming out only to be told that they couldnt get a proper reading from my left breast and had to do the whole thing again i think i worked myself up so much with worry that i made myself sick,didnt think id be having it twice once was bad enough,,they even made me strip the second time,,but its done now thank god that part of it is over,,just have to wait for the results now,fingers crossed they,ll be ok:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

hi all had my scan yesterday,and have to say it was sickening,i thought my head was gonna bust wi th the pain in it after coming out only to be told that they couldnt get a proper reading from my left breast and had to do the whole thing again i think i worked myself up so much with worry that i made myself sick,didnt think id be having it twice once was bad enough,,they even made me strip the second time,,but its done now thank god that part of it is over,,just have to wait for the results now,fingers crossed they,ll be ok:confused:

Aww I hope you ok , I really hope yr result comes back ok ! I have to say I didn't like all tht scan process myself ,I was so nervous too I cried so much thr ... all this experience is so awful and really effected me ...
    But thr is no way back ,we have to stay strong and support each other as much as we can .. I hope all goes well for you , try not to worry too much, stay strong , one day this nightmare will end !! :( xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funnyfakename

Hi ladies,

I just saw this in the daily mail and thought that you might want to read it. One sentence in particular struck a chord with me, when Nigel Mercer says "I don't think we will have definitely caught all of the women". I hope you don't mind me posting it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2115439/7-000-women-UK-faulty-breast-implants.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Upset lady

Hi Sheba
    You poor thing - hope your ok. I know how u feel I was the same. I had myself all worked up and came out after the scan with a rash all over my neck - something I had never got before probably nerves. But my scan was all clear and hopefull yours will be too x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement