Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jd83 wrote: »
    If you refuse to book usit flights all they can do is not let you use their services when you arrive in canada. Based on the service they provide before you arrive in canada i dont see how anyone would want to use this!

I nearly used usit and then i found this thread :) and just done the forms myself.

Thats what I was thinking. I can't understand why people are afraid of USIT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Jonty wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking. I can't understand why people are afraid of USIT

I think the fee includes a 100 euro flight deposit so you would lose that as well but thats it. I think people go to the iec website and look at the forms and there pretty intimidating when you look through them first. Then they sign up for the likes of usit to check them and are just willing to accept the information usit throw at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think the fee includes a 100 euro flight deposit so you would lose that as well but thats it. I think people go to the iec website and look at the forms and there pretty intimidating when you look through them first. Then they sign up for the likes of usit to check them and are just willing to accept the information usit throw at them.

They are such a shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

question folks: i see there is only 400ish visas left, if my payment has been sent and visa conditionally accepted and i sent off my medical, is my visa sortof reserved for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jiminho wrote: »
    question folks: i see there is only 400ish visas left, if my payment has been sent and visa conditionally accepted and i sent off my medical, is my visa sortof reserved for me?

not sort of, but fully

if you're rejected for some reason it goes back in the pile, otherwise it's been kept for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lain

Hey could someone please send me on the link for where you can check how many visas there is left in Ireland for going to Canada?

thank you!

lain wrote: »
    Hey could someone please send me on the link for where you can check how many visas there is left in Ireland for going to Canada?

thank you!

461 Left

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lain

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mtl2012

hey guys,
    just a few quick tips for the IEC 2012. I'm canadian so not looking into getting a visa, obviously, but have been following this thread as someone i kno is going through usit and waiting on a visa.
    lain wrote: »
    Thank you for replying so soon! :)

Well i was advised to apply in July because thats when more visas are opening, and that the other ones are closed for now or sometime soon? i think i was told to wait til July because i think they said it will take about a month for them to help me with the forms and plus i will be a few wks waiting on my passport as well as i have to renew it so by the time i send all my forms it would be well into June i suppose........im really confused as the guy didnt really explain much to me! he told me that i have to have aprox 3,000 pounds in my account for around the time i am applying, so thats around 3,600 euro.....even though i thought i had to have proof of less than that amount just a few weeks before i go? because i dont think i will have that amount for another good few months!

thank you!

That does not make any sense at all! 3600 pounds could be to cover their fees (insurance and visa application check)+2500 CAD you need in your account before landing in Can. But about the fact that they will put new visas up in july, I strongly doubt it. Also it could be just me, but I found nothing about work holiday visa/IEC on their website, so maybe he was talking about a skilled visa? did you pay already anything? if you didn't and really want to go to Canada within the next 12 months, just do it yourself ASAP. That's just my advice, I could be wrong, but I'd say it's the safest if you want to go soonish.
    I'd say there is very little chance that once the 2012 quota of 5350 visa will be reached, the amount will be increased, just because the number have gone faster than last year. If some of you were following it last year, you might remember that around august, the news were informing Ireland and the UK about a potential second recession. At that time, 1000 visas were left, and they went in 2 weeks, probably due to fear of people that were considering it, but weren't sure about going to Canada or not.
    They never increased the amount until the 2012 program opened. Don't look at the amount of visas left on the website if you want to apply, just do it. You don't need anybody else than a friend or a family member to check your application. Instead of looking at the quotas varying everyday, check the IEC website on a regular basis to see if they put a message up saying when they will stop accepting applications.
    I read somewhere in the thread that somebody found it unfair that australians were granted 2 year automatic visas. Both Canada and Australia are member of the commomwealth unlike Ireland (Rep of). Just like irish nationals can go work in the UK, Italy, Greece, etc. anywhere in Europe without a visa (something canadians can't do, even in the USA), Canadians might have it easier when it comes to commonwealth countries as some agreements were passed between groups of countries/provinces (example: France and the province of Quebec, as they have french in common) and vice versa, that could explain that the IEC are different throughout the world. Actually, Ireland is pretty lucky as it can be done twice unlike a lot of coutries, and the quotas are quite impressive compared to the size of the population.
    Important: do not underestimate the importance of a GOOD medical insurance when you book it. Don't go cheap by a few hundreeds on this one. Canada has free healthcare for permanent residents and citizens (and probably temp workers, that I am not sure of). But as a backpacker on the IEC, you are covered by nothing else than your insurance. Canada is not like Ireland in case of an emergency: you don't "just" pay 60euros to go see a GP. You can pay thousands of $ if you need to stay in the hospital, for just a broken leg or arm, so if you're thinking of snowboarding/skiing in the winter, shop and invest in a good insurance. Read the policy and especially the fine prints. I've heard of horror stories of people losing thousands of dollars just to avoid paying a simple 2 week insurance of less than 50 euros.eek.gif
    good luck to everyone trying to get a visa this year! Don't let this long process fool you: canadians are nice and do reply to emails (most of the time anyways;))

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pollynat

Hey, just sent off application today for 2nd year, and realised I forgot to include my client number... do you think this a rejectable thing or ok?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

pollynat wrote: »
    Hey, just sent off application today for 2nd year, and realised I forgot to include my client number... do you think this a rejectable thing or ok?

Thanks

I didn't include my client no. and I was provisionally accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

Hey,

my payment was accepted and my application forwarded to the final stage on March 2nd. That was 9 weeks ago and still havnt seen my LOI (not in spam box either) and havnt recieved a letter in the post saying it was rejected.

I can understand it taking ages in the first phase but not in the second as I know of plenty of people whose payment was accepted after me and they have received their LOI already.

has anyone else been in the position I am in received their LOI after the 6 weeks waiting time?

Also, i've emailed them every day after it has gone over the 6 weeks and no reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doneill85

Hey,

my payment was accepted and my application forwarded to the final stage on March 2nd. That was 9 weeks ago and still havnt seen my LOI (not in spam box either) and havnt recieved a letter in the post saying it was rejected.

I can understand it taking ages in the first phase but not in the second as I know of plenty of people whose payment was accepted after me and they have received their LOI already.

has anyone else been in the position I am in received their LOI after the 6 weeks waiting time?

Also, i've emailed them every day after it has gone over the 6 weeks and no reply...

Hi,
    I paid on the 1st of April and have heard nothing back since. Not even confirmation of receipt of payment. How did you pay yours? I used online aib iban/swift code method. Dunno whats goin on!

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    I didn't include my client no. and I was provisionally accepted

Thanks Dazzler, fingers crossed, dont wanna leave now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PollyMe

Does anyone know what bank account is the best to go with in Canada?
    I did my forms with go 4 less and a bank account is included in the €75 fee, its with HSBC but I was having a look online and I think the monthly charge is 25 dollars, is that good or bad?
    Thanks in advance :)

PollyMe wrote: »
    Does anyone know what bank account is the best to go with in Canada?
    I did my forms with go 4 less and a bank account is included in the €75 fee, its with HSBC but I was having a look online and I think the monthly charge is 25 dollars, is that good or bad?
    Thanks in advance :)

Hey, I went with Scotiabank as they only charge me about 10 a month. ING Direct is a no fee one, but I'm not sure what they are like with temporary workers. With Scotia all I needed was passport, permit and address...

Scotiabank also makes it easy to use western union from your online banking, which can be convenient.

Nat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i went with td and i have no complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 conall.doherty

is it normal i made payment 2 weeks ago and havn't recieved any confirmation of payment or that im on to next stage? they replied to my email submission but thats it. myself and friend applied exact same time and up to this stage recieved all emails on the same day.

pretty worried because looks like ill be going out there without a visa as we leave next friday (18th)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 albablue

is it normal i made payment 2 weeks ago and havn't recieved any confirmation of payment or that im on to next stage? they replied to my email submission but thats it. myself and friend applied exact same time and up to this stage recieved all emails on the same day.

pretty worried because looks like ill be going out there without a visa as we leave next friday (18th)

I think that pretty normal at the moment, looks like its nearer the 3 week mark to get confirmation of payment....

Has anyone got their LOI recently? Any timelines?

I applied back in January and still no LOI.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PollyMe

Thanks guys. Its between Scotiabank and TD now, theres no way im paying 25 dollars a month admin fees, crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DaveDaRave1

I sent payment 2 weeks tomorrow and still nothing.

If you're flights are booked I'd go over as a tourist, get settled and when your LOI is mailed to your gaff get someone to post it over to you in canada and then go down to the states for whatever amount of time and then activate your visa on the way back in.

I sent payment 2 weeks tomorrow and still nothing.

If you're flights are booked I'd go over as a tourist, get settled and when your LOI is mailed to your gaff get someone to post it over to you in canada and then go down to the states for whatever amount of time and then activate your visa on the way back in.

Loi is emailed to you so you wont have to mail anything. I have mine already and i plan on doing this. Just going over on tourist and then activating visa once i (hopefully) get a job.

Ah, fair enough.

Thats even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shellyennis

quick question if someone could answer this be great! went to bank today to order my statement was told 3-5 working days if im lucky, i fly next thursday, can i just go into bank print of a quick statement to show funds or does it have to have my name address on it to prove its my money??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shellyennis

quick question if someone could answer this be great! went to bank today to order my statement was told 3-5 working days if im lucky, i fly next thursday, can i just go into bank print of a quick statement to show funds or does it have to have my name address on it to prove its my money??

I paid on April 1st and havent heard a thing back yet so your not alone! :) What method of payment did you use? Mine was aib online swift/iban method..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

I payed my €105 alomst 2 weeks ago at this stage, and my 12 day payment period ended on monday. From reading through this forum I saw some people rand their banks to check if the money had beeen succesfully lodged into the embassy account, to set their minds at ease. I rang my bank today to inquire about this and they told me that they could not give me any information about wether or not the money is in the canadian account due to some data protection thing?? What's this all about?

johnt91 wrote: »
    I payed my €105 alomst 2 weeks ago at this stage, and my 12 day payment period ended on monday. From reading through this forum I saw some people rand their banks to check if the money had beeen succesfully lodged into the embassy account, to set their minds at ease. I rang my bank today to inquire about this and they told me that they could not give me any information about wether or not the money is in the canadian account due to some data protection thing?? What's this all about?

Seems the banks will tell ya anything to fob ya off. I rang and got passed around the different departments until i got back to the normal telephone banking and they just told me that the payment had gone through successfully. Hard to tell if they were spoofin or what. No accountability for the folks working in the banks. Pass the buck. Goes all the way to the top obviously.. Must be thought it in bank college. :)

That cant tell you if the money has gone in to another persons account as this would mean looking at their account and giving you information from it which is illegal under data protection.

They can tell you that the money has left your account, the account number it was directed to and the reference number used, as that is all in your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 buzzon

I am also in a similar situation! I got the email to say i was provisionally accepted and to pay the fee and forward IMM1295 form which I did. Got a confirmation email to say they received my form but have heard nothing since! Two friends of mine who applied after me have received emails to confirm they received payment and have been passed on to second phase! I'm pretty concerned about this! Have emailed them twice but no response. Any one else experience this?

Advertisement