Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: IEC 2012 Now Open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I don't mean to be an absolute pain in the arse but is there anyone here is CURRENTLY on the working holiday Visa? I have no idea how to go about getting a second year Visa because, from what I understand, I have one of two options.
    1. I apply for a seperate second Visa, regularly, through the IEC programme. This, however, I can see as a major problem considering I'd have to get a Garda Clearance Form and what-not but I'm living in Canada?
    2. I apply for a REGULAR work permit from within Canada. My problem, however, is whether or not I can even do this when I'm on a working holiday Visa. Furthermore, even if my employer/boss does apply for it there's no way I'll get accepted because I'm not working in a professional industry.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Can see a couple of people above me are in the same boat.
    lindzation wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm Canadian - but my boyfriend is currently on a working holiday visa here. I would go with applying for the second working holiday visa for now if I were you. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get the Garda Clearance but it's doable from over here. My boyfriend is having his parents go into the local station to fill out a form (they just have to bring a copy of his id) - but I've read that other people have just been able to email their station requesting a police clearance (with a copy of their id) and have the garda clearance posted over to them. I guess you'd have to call and check with your local station - my boyfriends didn't have an email. Hope that helps!

Just be aware that to qualify for the second IEC, you still have to meet the original requirements. Therefore, your year in Canada goes towards time spent outside of Ireland in the previous 3 years prior to applying. You have to have spent 18 months of the 3 years in Ireland. So if you were in another country before you went to Canada, that plus your time in Canada may bring you over the threshold.

Also, if you do get the second IEC visa, you'll have to leave Canada to activate it.

Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

lindzation wrote: »
    Hmm.. last year some people got it within 3 weeks - my boyfriends took 6. People who needed medical testing done took longer. It may be faster this year as they have probably worked out the kinks.

Cheers....on the website it says it takes 8 weeks, which would be brutal because I'm trying to get over there for the ski season!

Anyone know what Go4Less are like for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cheers....on the website it says it takes 8 weeks, which would be brutal because I'm trying to get over there for the ski season!

Anyone know what Go4Less are like for this?

If you're heading west coast, Whistler's season goes on until April I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

If you're heading west coast, Whistler's season goes on until April I think.

Our winter hasn't even started yet so who knows, might go on even longer..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

Regarding the police certs, does anyone know if the garda cert I used for this years application is less than a year old that it can be used for 2012 application?

Your Garda Cert has to be less than one year old at the time of application

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

retalivity wrote: »
    jesus, this application for people who are already in canada is a nightmare.
    I am applying but have not been in ireland for `8 months in the past 3 years.
    I already have a job here, dont know if im gonna add that info in.
    As far as the company i work for are concerned, i am in a common law relationship (insurance and benefits through my job), but i dont see why this is relevant as far as the IEC is concerned...gf is already there.

so many bloody questions and the website is no help/a mess

That 18 month habitual residence rule is new to me but its pretty annoying. I would go ahead and apply anyway, only because what have you got to lose (I think you said in a later post that you intend to apply)

I am currently in Canada with my boyf and we need to apply for second year visas now. I have no idea how to go about this from Canada? I seem to remember planning to do the exact same thing as last year (I got Garda certs and all) but since I have been here, ppl keep telling me stories!!!
    1. You apply to the embassy here
    2. You have to wait until 3 months before your visa is up
    3. Its easier when you are already here

I don't know what to believe! And from my experience last year, I have no inclination to email for information
    I'd really appreciate any help from second time rounders..........Thanks guys
    Oh also, we have the option of using the provincial nominee visa too if anyone has not heard of it, look it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

kraggy wrote: »
    So you CAN get a second IEC even if your 1st year in Canada brings you over the 18 months habitual residency rule?

sure i got my first IEC almost 24 months after i left ireland

1. You apply to the embassy here
    2. You have to wait until 3 months before your visa is up
    3. Its easier when you are already here

1 - you dont
    2 - you dont
    3 - its the exact same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Helix wrote: »
    sure i got my first IEC almost 24 months after i left ireland

But the requirements say that you have to have spent 18 months out of the 3years prior to applying, in Ireland.

You got lucky by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 decision

But the requirements say that you have to have spent 18 months out of the 3years prior to applying, in Ireland.

It's anyone's guess Kraggy. I've tried to confirm this with so many people but have yet to hear a concrete yes or no. By the sounds of it, it's the luck of the draw whether you get accepted or not. If I were you though I wouldn't BS on your application as it could come back to haunt you. Canadians do not take status/residency issues lightly. Just have a read of this post to get a taste of how bureaucratic they can get!

http://www.irishalien.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=654&sid=4036297d709c6117259e8e4fd84dd200

• Advertisement

everyone else i know in the same boat must have gotten lucky too

i dont think it's a factor tbh. if youre an irish national i cant see there being any problems

Helix wrote: »
    everyone else i know in the same boat must have gotten lucky too

i dont think it's a factor tbh. if youre an irish national i cant see there being any problems

only time will tell i suppose. im trying to get my hands on a copy of the 2011 rules to see how they compared. not gonna go through the bother of getting a UK police certificate if there's no chance I qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wanderer81

Hey all, just in Canada at the moment on my first working visa and intended on applying for the 2nd, my garda certificate is still valid for another 2 months. I sent the original away to Paris last year, was wondering if they would accept a copy or do I have to reapply for a new certificate? Cheers everyone for all the helpful advice given out here, its much appreciated.

you have to have an original sent

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FoosChic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/293814990664354/

Decided to set up a facebook group for anyone who wants to discuss IEC etc...join if interested and we'll see how it goes! :D

FoosChic wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/293814990664354/

Decided to set up a facebook group for anyone who wants to discuss IEC etc...join if interested and we'll see how it goes! :D

good idea - we need something specific rather than 'irish in canada' or the likes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Currently applying for my second year. Just a few questions for anyone who's going/gone through it.

Country of residence is Canada right? Even if we are not permanent residents? Is our status in canada 'worker' if so? And do you just put in the dates of your visa start/end in the from/to fields?

Details of intented work in Canada.
    Do I put down my current job? Do I put down unknown? Do I need to fill this in at all or does is apply for a work permit rather than IEC? Same with duration of expected employment.

thanks!

the intended work one isnt applicable, its covered in the FAQs on the site. iirc you may put in IEC or something like that there, i cant remember from when i did it

your country of residence is indeed canada, your status in canada is temporary worker, and you put in the visa dates

theres also a bit later in the form where it asks about previous work visas etc, fill all your previous information in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Folks,

More related to the 2011 one but maybe some can help. I got my LOI last August and it states that the permit validty is to 2013/8/12? I though I would only have a year from August to go so it should expire 2012/8/12?

Does that seem odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im back in canada now after being home for xmas....had all the forms ready & filled out, just waiting on the garda cert & then my ma is gonna send it all away for me from ireland.

regarding the 18 month thing...i was initially worried about this, but i've got it on pretty good authority that this is just a check to ensure that people arent moving into a country, just to apply for a visa to canada, when they're not really resident e.g. someone moves to ireland, gets refugee status/residency, then immediately applies for a visa to move to canada, etc.

puts my mind to rest now.

also, walking through security at toronto airport on new years eve on the way back, i was worried about the fact ive only 2ish months left on my visa....security man had no problem at all, said just ensure you have another one in place by then.
    everything seems more relaxed this time around...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

Im back in canada now after being home for xmas....had all the forms ready & filled out, just waiting on the garda cert & then my ma is gonna send it all away for me from ireland.

regarding the 18 month thing...i was initially worried about this, but i've got it on pretty good authority that this is just a check to ensure that people arent moving into a country, just to apply for a visa to canada, when they're not really resident e.g. someone moves to ireland, gets refugee status/residency, then immediately applies for a visa to move to canada, etc.

puts my mind to rest now.

also, walking through security at toronto airport on new years eve on the way back, i was worried about the fact ive only 2ish months left on my visa....security man had no problem at all, said just ensure you have another one in place by then.
    everything seems more relaxed this time around...

can i ask did you include the Check list? intructions are so vague this year compared to last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

has anyones application been delivered but you have not received an email yet?

C@non wrote: »
    can i ask did you include the Check list? intructions are so vague this year compared to last!

Im not going to include the checklist. There was no reference to it on the 2012 page, the only place ive seen it is through this forum.

Edit: I still havent sent mine in. Waiting on my police cert. Also just realised I havent paid yet......need to include a copy of the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Im not going to include the checklist. There was no reference to it on the 2012 page, the only place ive seen it is through this forum.

Edit: I still havent sent mine in. Waiting on my police cert. Also just realised I havent paid yet......need to include a copy of the receipt

paid for what?

paid the 150 for the visa. You need to include a receipt for that in your application

Edit: Here, in the instruction guide http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp#pay-fee

paid the 150 for the visa. You need to include a receipt for that in your application

Edit: Here, in the instruction guide http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp#pay-fee

So the process has changed from last year?

You pay now as you are applying?

I really don't think that's correct at all

im struggling to remember what the payment process was last year.....did we not do that last year too? Or was it a postal order or something?

im struggling to remember what the payment process was last year.....did we not do that last year too? Or was it a postal order or something?

You applied, got conditional acceptance from Paris, then your application was sent to London after you forwarded them the cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

When the IEC crowd sent the initial email saying the application process was now open, they said you don't pay anything until you receive an email acknowledging your application and in that email there will be instructions on how to pay the fee etc.

Advertisement