Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP Sacked After Nazi Party Photo

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

have you never seen 'Allo 'Allo?

You have made a very, very good point.

Also, unlike in many Continental European countries, it's not illegal to wear Nazi uniforms and swastikas in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Batsy wrote: »
    Also, unlike in many Continental European countries, it's not illegal to wear Nazi uniforms and swastikas in Britain.

It's a pity the knuckle-dragging twats didn't stay in Britain then isn't it.

prinz wrote: »
    It's a pity the knuckle-dragging twats didn't stay in Britain then isn't it.

Have you got any proof that Aidan Burley and his pals have any Nazi sympathies? Or was he merely dressed as a Nazi because he went to a fancy-dress party? (I believe it's the latter).

What if he went to the fancy-dress party dressed as an axe murderer? Would that have been a sackable offence, too?

Dudess wrote: »
    Bet you'd be outraged by it if it was a bunch of people dressed up as Stalin and the red army.

It doesn't bother me what people dress up as at a fancy-dress party.

Have you got any proof that Aidan Burley and his pals have any Nazi sympathies?

Where did I say that?

Although reports suggest it went far beyond simple fancy dress (chanting Hitler's name, toasting the ideology and thought process of the third reich, insulting waiters about the third reich etc). I called them knuckle-dragging twats, not Nazis.

Although I still can't figure out why what Burley did was ok, but at the same time it's ok for the British embassy in Thailand to complain about Thai students playing fancy dress.

• Advertisement

Although reports suggest it went far beyond simple fancy dress (chanting Hitler's name, toasting the ideology and thought process of the third reich, insulting waiters about the third reich etc). I called them knuckle-dragging twats, not Nazis.

Things like that happen when a bunch of blokes get together for a few drinks. I've probably done similar things many times on a night out after I've had a few. It's just called "being drunk."
    it's ok for the British embassy in Thailand to complain about Thai students playing fancy dress.

If it's okay for British authorities to take action against Aidan Burley then I guess it's okay for British authorities to take action against these Thai people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Things like that happen when a bunch of blokes get together for a few drinks. I've probably done similar things many times on a night out after I've had a few. It's just called "being drunk."

sorry but if having a few drinks with the lads constutes going to france dressed as a nazi, giving nazi salutes to people then Im afraid to have to break it to you but you might just possibly be a twat.

god and they wonder why so many places have banned english stag parties. If your gonna have a few drinks have a bit of self respect

Things like that happen when a bunch of blokes get together for a few drinks. I've probably done similar things many times on a night out after I've had a few. It's just called "being drunk.".

I've been getting drunk with bunches of blokes for the best part of a decade now and I can hand on heart say that I never got involved in taking the mick out of waiters for their nationality, or in celebrating or glorifying the Nazi regime.

The sound like louts. If it wasn't the nazi get-up they'd be insulting and belittling people for some other reason.
    If it's okay for British authorities to take action against Aidan Burley then I guess it's okay for British authorities to take action against these Thai people.

Thai schoolkids aren't British subjects, neither are they in the employ of the British state unlike Mr Burley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Where did I say that?

Although I still can't figure out why what Burley did was ok, but at the same time it's ok for the British embassy in Thailand to complain about Thai students playing fancy dress.
    burly was sacked [and rightly so] so why are you talking about thai students.and the british embassy,are you saying double standards are being used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Things like that happen when a bunch of blokes get together for a few drinks. I've probably done similar things many times on a night out after I've had a few. ...........

.....must be a Mail readers thing.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    burly was sacked [and rightly so] so why are you talking about thai students.and the british embassy,are you saying double standards are being used

Double standards on the side of some people/posters, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Double standards on the side of some people/posters, yes.
    now i understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Dudess wrote: »
    I just asked a question out of interest. The rest of my posts try to look at the topic from both sides. People like you and fedor.2 and others are such tough internet warriors going in and making snide jibes without bothering to do a bit of research.

Must suck to be so angry... :(

I'm not tough. I'm not an internet warrior.

I'm also not angry.

In fact I'm currently laughing. Out loud too.

After doing 'a bit of research' it appears that these Nazi fellows were naughty fellows, by all accounts. That'll teach me to voice unresearched opinions in the future, I've learned my lesson!
    While I am by no means a prude and am all for free speech, to me there is nothing remotely funny about racism, genocide, extermination camps, torture, murder etc.

The fact that so many people here seem to feel there is, is frankly disturbing.

No, I just have a sense of humour and I can laugh at jokes about terrible events. Why? Because they're jokes, they're supposed to be funny. Picking and choosing what to laugh at based on how serious the jokes subject matter is makes you a hypocrite. As if you've never laughed at a Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman joke before :rolleyes:
    It's hardly hypocritical to find some stuff funny and other stuff not funny - a person can't help what they do and don't find funny. If some find really bad taste jokes funny, their prerogative, but some don't - also their prerogative.
    Freedom of speech doesn't exist btw Audrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

have you never seen 'Allo 'Allo?

Where is the comparison between a comedy show and a bunch of twats who by their own words have some level of respect for the most evil regime known to man ??

And that makes it right does it? :rolleyes:

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16135456

The French seem to be taking this fairly seriously. Hope they extradite the scumbags and throw the feckin book at them !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Bunch of idiots...the ones trying to be politically "correct" that is :rolleyes:<<<and I really dislike using that emoticon.

So the Nazi party promoted, and helped to commit mass murder...it's not like any other regime or empire have done that before. Why dont they just go around arresting and sacking people dressing up for Hallowe'en or stag do's like Roman centurions, Vikings, Norsemen, English Knights of olde, or representations of any regime that destroyed so many lives and families like those of Pol Pot, 1970's to present North Korea, Milosevic in Yugoslavia. There are so many, yet they always focus on one. Just the one.

Let history stay where it belongs maybe, in the past?

Bunch of idiots...the ones trying to be politically "correct" that is :rolleyes:<<<and I really dislike using that emoticon.

So the Nazi party promoted, and helped to commit mass murder...it's not like any other regime or empire have done that before. Why dont they just go around arresting and sacking people dressing up for Hallowe'en or stag do's like Roman centurions, Vikings, Norsemen, English Knights of olde, or representations of any regime that destroyed so many lives and families like those of Pol Pot, 1970's to present North Korea, Milosevic in Yugoslavia. There are so many, yet they always focus on one. Just the one.

Let history stay where it belongs maybe, in the past?

Ohhh dear another controversy seeker who cant read any of the posts that have addressed the issues he/she raised....:rolleyes:

It has been said here and elsewhere, ad nauseum, that one of the principal concerns is that such displays of support for the Nazi regime will not just annoy the survivors of the nazi final solution, but also their relatives, the veterans who helped defeat this evil regime and people of particular ethnic or religous backgrounds....How many victims of the Roman empire, the Vikings/norsemen (arnt they effectively the same anyway?) , English knights , have you met or are likely to meet ? and how many people do you see dressed up as North Korean border guards, Pol Pot or Slobodan Milosevic? If you did they would be about as acceptable as the Hitler fans, well maybe to some people they might be but NOT to the rest of us.

And your idea that history is best left in the past ignores the only hope we have for the future, that by learning the lessons of the past we can try and stop them happening again in the future....unless you dont want to learn them that is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

280special wrote: »
    Where is the comparison between a comedy show and a bunch of twats who by their own words have some level of respect for the most evil regime known to man ??

there isnt. the point is that mocking on a comedy show is not the same as acting like a complete knob head on a stag do. something which escapes a lot of people who go on stag dos then get their entire country banned from going there again.

Advertisement