Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP Sacked After Nazi Party Photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

He was an idiot if he thought for a minute it wouldn't provoke a negative reaction.

Very poor judgement on his part imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

If he's standing beside a guy in SS uniform on a podium while giving a speech - big problem.

But he was beside a guy in SS uniform at a fancy dress stag - no problem you would think.

Context is the key word here, but the PC brigade don't do context.

I'd agree. But he was a feckin' eejit given his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dudess wrote: »
    Which aspects do you feel are worthy of being funny?

Well, people dress up as vikings and think it's funny.

Kids dress up (or used to anyway) as cowboys and "Indians" despite the fact that the "cowboys" were indulging in ethnic cleansing and genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Guess they had enough of his actions and had to impose a Final Solution

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stalin killed more than the Nazis did. If I dressed up as Stalin for the laugh would I be condemned too? Or even Napoleon or Oliver Cromwell?

You have to watch out for those short French leaders.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Just imagine the furore if a crowd of Tory gits had a party in Cork and dressed up as Black and Tans.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not much, considering that it was the Auxiliaries who burned Cork.
    Aidric wrote: »
    Seems like all the good puns have been goebbeled up at this stage.

those Fokkers always get in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Zebra3 wrote: »

Kids dress up (or used to anyway) as cowboys and "Indians" despite the fact that the "cowboys" were indulging in ethnic cleansing and genocide.
    Actually, the ethnic cleansing and genocide was mostly carried out by armies and militias (and germs), and Indian tribes regularly carried out ethnic cleansing and massacres against other Indian tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Wait until they see Darren Sculleys stag photos

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Well, people dress up as vikings and think it's funny.Kids dress up (or used to anyway) as cowboys and "Indians" despite the fact that the "cowboys" were indulging in ethnic cleansing and genocide.

There's a massive difference between dressing as a viking (most of the viking outfits are wrong anyway), and dressing as an SS officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

The difference might be that there are no people left around who had first hand experience of either the Vikings or the settlers of the American West.

Having talked to quite a few WW2 veterans including some who liberated Concentration camps I can assure you they wouldnt find some of the comments on this tread to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Could have been worse I suppose, Max Molsely could have been there, now that would have been an awkward photograph, though more entertaining.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If it was Stalin, nothing would have been said about it. History is always written by the winners.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If it was Stalin, nothing would have been said about it. History is always written by the winners.

Actually you're wrong. Some people have no problem pointing out that hypocrisy whatsoever (although I agree it exists).. I have drawn attention to it a few times.

Batsy wrote: »
    Some people don't understand what fancy dress parties are.

This is the same furore as we had when Prince Harry went to a fancy dress party dressed as a Nazi in February 2005.

So you think it appropriate that someone (or for that matter anyone) in his position to dress up as one of the worst examples of murdering scum ever known to mankind???

Fancy dress parties are meant to be for fun all right, but there are plenty of examples where a particular outfit is neither appropriate or acceptable.

prinz wrote: »
    Time and a place really. Remember it is actually against the law in many European countries to wear Nazi regalia etc. without permission (say for filming a movie or some such)... if these twats wanted to dress up and play nazi they should've stayed in England to do it. Either way, it's not really that funny at the end of the day.

Satire is funny. Parody is funny. A group of no-doubt drunken English fools on the continent giving mock orders and Nazi salutes is not funny. In the slightest.

Damned right !! Well said !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Plenty would have been said about it. I'm always suspicious of the "Stalin was worse" club. How about: it's not a competition, both were genocidal maniacs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:p Were doing our best :p

Plenty would have been said about it. I'm always suspicious of the "Stalin was worse" club. How about: it's not a competition, both were genocidal maniacs?
    Actually I disagree. I think it would most likely be laughed off more in general from people. Stalin is NOT seen as the dictator and mass murderer like Hitler is. It is pure hypocrisy and the only reason for that is because Hitler lost the war and Stalin ended up on the winners side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

in fairness if it was a stupid thing for a public representative to do he must have known what would happen when pictures of it came out.

I wonder did one of his 'Great mates' at the stag shop him to the papers.

his fellow conservatives must fuhreous at him :D

Stalin is NOT seen as the dictator and mass murderer like Hitler is. It is pure hypocrisy and the only reason for that is because Hitler lost the war and Stalin ended up on the winners side.
    Yes he is. Stop talking sh1te. And the "reason" at the end is in your head. Upset that the commie dictator doesn't get talked about as much? Doesn't mean he's not seen as a dictator and mass murderer on the same scale as Hitler.

• Advertisement

Yes he is. Stop talking sh1te. And the "reason" at the end is in your head. Upset that the commie dictator doesn't get talked about as much? Doesn't mean he's not seen as a dictator and mass murderer on the same scale as Hitler.
    Yes, it is just talking shyte if you disagree. You can form a better argument than that surely? Look at Hitler. There is a fascination with Adolf Hitler. The movies, the books. Movies made on the holocaust and Hitlers final days in the bunker. Compared to Stalin, it isn't even in the same league.

Stalin starved millions of people and yet it isn't mentioned as much when you compare it to Hitler and the holocaust.

It is a simple case of Stalin being part of the Allies and Hitler lost the war. Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, not a lot is said about them compared to Hitler. If this guy had dressed up as Pol Pot, this story would not have got off the ground like it has.

kazul wrote: »
    Quoted because I couldn't thank twice.
    I take it that none of the posters who find this funny have family members who were affected by the holocaust or met survivors who still have tattoos on their wrists.

A new low for boards.ie and frankly I'm shocked that this thread is still open.

Moderators, please note this and be aware of potential legal consequences...

There is nothing funny about mass murder, mass rape, butchering young children etc.

Those who have made light of this should hang their heads in shame.

Oh will you give over. It might be tasteless, but tasteless humour is popular. Nazis and the Holocaust are so far removed from most peoples' experience now, well pretty much anyone posting on boards. Taking the piss out of Nazis is apart from anything else testament to the fact they and their philosophy was so thoroughly discredited. A bunch of murderous clowns.

And what are these legal consequences you're talking about?
    Just as you have the right to find the tasteless stuff funny, so has a person the right to voice their objection. I agree those of us reading Boards.ie are mostly very far removed from it but not everyone is, and you cannot blame someone who is personally affected in some way - even if it was just visiting Auschwitz - for finding it a bridge too far and saying so.
    Yeah, taking the piss out of the nazis is a good call IMO, and the wordplay jokes aren't particularly at anyone's expense, but not all WWII jokes take the piss out of the nazis - some are just shock for shock's sake, and are at the expense of victims/survivors.
    And dressing up as a nazi - how is that funny? Where's the cleverness? The wit? It's just doing something for attention's sake.
    Of course the vast majority of people who find all of this humorous don't actually think the holocaust was funny, but a few psychos do unfortunately - no doubt a handful here.

It is a simple case of Stalin being part of the Allies and Hitler lost the war. Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, not a lot is said about them compared to Hitler. If this guy had dressed up as Pol Pot, this story would not have got off the ground like it has.

He didn't dress up as Hitler. Dressing obviously as Hitler himself would actually be in slightly better taste if you ask me, as it would clearly be an attempt at parody/humour.

Look at Hitler. There is a fascination with Adolf Hitler. The movies, the books. Movies made on the holocaust and Hitlers final days in the bunker. Compared to Stalin, it isn't even in the same league.

Stalin starved millions of people and yet it isn't mentioned as much when you compare it to Hitler and the holocaust.

Doesn't mean they're considered better people than Hitler. And your allies thing - proof? Never heard of it - probably because it's in your imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Actually I disagree. I think it would most likely be laughed off more in general from people. Stalin is NOT seen as the dictator and mass murderer like Hitler is. It is pure hypocrisy and the only reason for that is because Hitler lost the war and Stalin ended up on the winners side.

It all depends on what part of the world you live in. We haven't got much reason to hate Stalin here in the western part of Europe but ask the Polish what they think of Stalin and they will tell you about the massacre in Katyn.
    Yes, it is just talking shyte if you disagree. You can form a better argument than that surely? Look at Hitler. There is a fascination with Adolf Hitler. The movies, the books. Movies made on the holocaust and Hitlers final days in the bunker. Compared to Stalin, it isn't even in the same league.

Just because someone doesn't get condemned as much for dressing as Stalin rather than Hitler doesn't make dressing up as either more acceptable.

Stalin's moustache is much harder to imitate than Hitler's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Back in 2007 I went to a 1940's themed fancy dress party dressed as a member of the SS complete with swastika. The costume polarised opinion to say the least. A couple of Germans weren't impressed so a guy who decided to be equally offended on their behalf informed me as such. A French girl voiced her displeasure also (to my face in fairness to her). I explained that in my opinion it was perfectly reasonably to wear such a costume as WW2 was the single biggest event of that era and to come to a 1940's themed party and not expect a nazi reference was naive in the extreme. I won best costume. This is all true. It was in that now Brazilian bar down the road from Eurocycles in the city centre.
    FWIW I wouldn't have done it on the Continent but I make no apologies for doing so in Dublin.

It all depends on what part of the world you live in. We haven't got much reason to hate Stalin here in the western part of Europe but ask the Polish what they think of Stalin and they will tell you about the massacre in Katyn..

+1. Important to remember in this case too. Yer man wasn't in his SS get-up in a bar in Newcastle or Chester.... he was in France.

It all depends on what part of the world you live in. We haven't got much reason to hate Stalin here in the western part of Europe but ask the Polish what they think of Stalin and they will tell you about the massacre in Katyn.

Just because someone doesn't get condemned as much for dressing as Stalin rather than Hitler doesn't make dressing up as either more acceptable.

Stalin's moustache is much harder to imitate than Hitler's anyway.
    No one said anything differently. But it is seen differently in general in society. If you dressed as a soviet general in Poland, would you be locked up? As far as I'm aware, there is no such law. Compared to such laws in other countries in terms of the Nazi salute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

No one said anything differently. But it is seen differently in general in society. If you dressed as a soviet general in Poland, would you be locked up? As far as I'm aware, there is no such law. Compared to such laws in other countries in terms of the Nazi salute.

Germany has its own reasons for tough crackdowns on Nazism, given that Poland was a communist country until recently they will treat of their own history in a far different manner.

There are plenty of other tyrants and movements you could use to cry hypocrisy when Nazism is used for parody but given the effect it has had on Europe in recent times you can see why it's inappropriate for public figure to dress up in such a manner

Advertisement