Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP Sacked After Nazi Party Photo

Options
  • 18-12-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16234529
    MP Aidan Burley sacked after 'Nazi' party guest photo

Mr Burley was appointed parliamentary private secretary to the transport secretary in October
    A Conservative MP has been sacked as a parliamentary private secretary over "offensive and foolish" behaviour.

Cannock Chase MP Aidan Burley was pictured in the Mail on Sunday last week with a man dressed as a Nazi SS officer at a stag party in France.

Mr Burley said subsequently he "deeply regretted" what had happened.

But the Conservative Party said the MP was being removed from his post and it was launching a fuller investigation "in light of information received".

A Conservative Party spokesman said: "Aidan Burley has behaved in a manner which is offensive and foolish.

"That is why he is being removed from his post as parliamentary private secretary at the Department for Transport. In light of information received the prime minister has asked for a fuller investigation into the matter to be set up and to report to him."

After the Mail on Sunday's original article last week, Mr Burley issued a statement saying he was sorry for any offence caused and tweeted an apology.

"There was clearly inappropriate behaviour by some of the other guests and I deeply regret that this happened. I am extremely sorry for any offence that will undoubtedly have been caused," he said.

Mr Burley also wrote to the Jewish Chronicle, offering an "unreserved, wholehearted and fulsome apology".

He said that he wished he had left the stag party earlier.

"What was happening was wrong and I should have completely dissociated myself from it. I had a choice, and I made the wrong choice not to leave. I apologise for this error of judgment."

For Labour, shadow transport minister John Woodcock, who is also chairman of Labour Friends of Israel, said: "It speaks volumes about David Cameron's judgement that he dithered for a week before taking action against his MP."

The chap was at a stag party where his mates were dressed as Nazi's and now he is to step down. Will there ever be a time when people choose not to be offended anymore over the whole nazi thing, or is it still 'too soon'?
    Seems to be....and of course the man is obviously a racist and an anti semite like young Prince Harry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I bet he did nazi that coming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

I guess he could nazi the problem with wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe it was a misunderstood Hugo Boss appreciation party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Probably a PR exercise by the party - I suspected it would do something all right, but not this harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's hard to have a bit of a laff these days.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

^^ all them replies are gas

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe it was a misunderstood Hugo Boss appreciation party?

You've Hitler nail on the head there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

He is worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing Jungle music at 3 o clock in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sacked!
    Jewest for appearing in a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

he's having a holocaust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I like a good pun as much as anyone else but this subject is just out of mein kampfort zone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Your all going to heil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If people don't stop making Nazi puns, I'm goering to report this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If he's standing beside a guy in SS uniform on a podium while giving a speech - big problem.

But he was beside a guy in SS uniform at a fancy dress stag - no problem you would think.

Context is the key word here, but the PC brigade don't do context.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Damn reich wing Conservatives.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Probably a PR exercise by the party - I suspected it would do something all right, but not this harsh.
    Well, he's still an MP, only his internal party position has been lost - so fair enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RayM wrote: »
    If people don't stop making Nazi puns, I'm goering to report this thread.

What are you Waffen on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Bumblegoose

I just noticed something extraordinary, all of your comments look like Nazi puns. What a strange coincedince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What are you Waffen on about?

If you don't stop, I promise I'll take this matter führer.

WindSock wrote: »
    He is worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing Jungle music at 3 o clock in the morning!

He would have done but he never got that far south.

Context is the key word here, but the PC brigade don't do context.
    Corvus, I am disappoint. :-/

This decision doesn't have anything to do with the mythical PC brigade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Guilt by association? Someone else at the party did it so he gets punished?!
    And even if he HAD done it... Freedom of speech anyone?

Lol decaying Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

he was reich to do it. the nazi thing is hillarious and i think its a great costume

And even if he HAD done it... Freedom of speech anyone?
    Doesn't exist actually - certainly not for a public rep. You can't say what you like in Britain, despite the teenage rebel notion that you can/should.
    What's the decaying Britain thing about?

he was reich to do it. the nazi thing is hillarious and i think its a great costume
    He didn't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

WindSock wrote: »

Mr Burley said subsequently he "deeply regretted" what had happened.

If only he could find a DeLorean and go Back to the Führer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I hate all these Nazi/jew jokes, they're not funny ann frankly I won't stand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TheZohan wrote: »
    I hate all these Nazi/jew jokes, they're not funny ann frankly I won't stand for them.

i dont know what jew are talking about, i find them heil-arious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

DudeSS wrote: »

I had heard all the rumours before, now I have finally figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I was gonna say I felt bad for him but to come out and say he "deeply regretted" it makes him just as bad. He should have came out and told people to cop on to fuck.

Advertisement