Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP Sacked After Nazi Party Photo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Germany has its own reasons for tough crackdowns on Nazism, given that Poland was a communist country until recently they will treat of their own history in a far different manner.

There are plenty of other tyrants and movements you could use to cry hypocrisy when Nazism is used for parody but given the effect it has had on Europe in recent times you can see why it's inappropriate for public figure to dress up in such a manner
    Yeah but like some one else said, it is hypocrisy when you see people dress as Stalin or some other leaders who used to live like Saddam Hussein. Not a lot is said about it.

I understand location is important but these people affected many far and wide. And that is why some think there is hypocrisy at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If those Tory **** really want to shock, why don't they show some imagination when they dress up at their stag parties? For example, one of them could be in drag as the aul Windsor wan and others as the Queen Mother (as she was before she croaked a while back), another as Cowmilla, a really pissed, chain-smoking one as Princess Margaret, a big horny looking hunk as Phil the Greek, the aul Windsor wan's rentboy, and so on ---:):)

That wouldn't open any old wounds in continental European countries that suffered occupation, or the Holocaust, and indeed it would give the continentals a good giggle or two. Not so sure how it would go down in the Tory shires, though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

anne frankely i think he deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dudess wrote: »
    Huh? There's nothing revelatory about that - there's libel, slander, the Incitement to Hatred Act. You can't go round saying whatever hateful sh1t you like without recourse - and rightly so. What about the rights of the people on the receiving end? Bizarre how some fascist kunt's free speech rights are deemed more important by some.
    Howls for free speech nearly always seem to come from people who want to say dickish things, e.g. supporters of that mayor in Naas.

Libel and slander aren't the same as wearing a certain costume. Banning something merely because it might offend people is ridiculously draconian. Dressing up as X doesn't infringe anyone's rights at all, libel and slander do.

EDIT: I have no problem with the Naas mayor saying anything he wants to, it's the action of refusing to represent people based on their ethnicity which was the real issue in that case.

And let's put all that aside for a moment - he was at a party at which someone else - possibly a friend of his, possibly not - did something. How is that in any way relevant to the man himself?

Should I lose my job just because one of my friends commits a crime, for instance? Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kazul banned. Insulting other posters.

Nazi Mods, and their nazi avatars :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It's a bit like white celebrities who say the 'N word' apologising to Jesse Jackson. He's not the emperor of black people, and I'm sure the Jewish Chronicle isn't the support group for Nazi-victims either.
    He told my dad he is. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Libel and slander aren't the same as wearing a certain costume. Banning something merely because it might offend people is ridiculously draconian. Dressing up as X doesn't infringe anyone's rights at all, libel and slander do.

EDIT: I have no problem with the Naas mayor saying anything he wants to, it's the action of refusing to represent people based on their ethnicity which was the real issue in that case.

And let's put all that aside for a moment - he was at a party at which someone else - possibly a friend of his, possibly not - did something. How is that in any way relevant to the man himself?

Should I lose my job just because one of my friends commits a crime, for instance? Madness.
    Obviously not. Getting a bit silly here - the man is a public official. I think it's harsh too but it's because of his position, looks bad for the party he represents, especially given its right-wing past. The mayor in Naas should not have said what he said in public either - again, a public representative. In private to e.g. family though - different matter.
    Bringing up free speech in this case though is moot - the guy didn't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Near 100 posts in and probably too late for one last pun, but anyway...

That's the way people dress at Reichstag-parties

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Jaysus you're on fire!

prinz wrote: »
    Jaysus you're on fire!
    Ah I know, only took a few hours for that one and couldn't be arsed waiting around for another politician/royal family member to embarass themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Near 100 posts in and probably too late for one last pun, but anyway...

ahh these pun are the ****zle....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AnotherTool

People arguing that it's ok to dress as a Viking or a cowboy because there isn't anyone around these days directly affected by their atrocities but not as an SS Officer. Surely the same logic should be applied so towards people dressing up as priests considering all the horrible things that many of them have done in the much more recent past, directly affecting a lot of people here in this country? You may say, "Oh, but it wasn't all priests that abused children etc." but I would argue that not all SS Officers were murdering, hateful and evil. Who draws the line where? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It pissed me off when I saw this story.

The MP didn't actually dress up as a Nazi, it was just someone else who turned up at the party that had. Why is he getting the blame for this? I can't understand the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It pissed me off when I saw this story.

The MP didn't actually dress up as a Nazi, it was just someone else who turned up at the party that had. Why is he getting the blame for this? I can't understand the logic.

It was reported in the Daily Hatemail that it was Burley who had in fact rented the costume and paid for it. :)

Remember, there are still a few Brits alive who fought against the Germans and it must grate on them to see one of their MPs toasting Hitler.:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2075984/David-Cameron-sacks-MP-Aidan-Burley-links-Hitler-stag-party.html

"Aidan Burley, 32, was caught on camera dining with friends, some of whom were chanting: ‘Hitler, Hitler, Hitler.’ He was jokingly described as the ‘candidate for Berlin East’ and toasts were made to the Third Reich." "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If people get so upset over the whole nazi get up, how come they don't get upset over the flying of the Stars and Stripes in Ireland?

Or are American war crimes ok, whereas German war crimes are evil? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If people get so upset over the whole nazi get up, how come they don't get upset over the flying of the Stars and Stripes in Ireland?

Or are American war crimes ok, whereas German war crimes are evil? :confused:

The Stars and Stripes represent many things, the Swastika represents one thing.

Surely the same logic should be applied so towards people dressing up as priests considering all the horrible things that many of them have done in the much more recent past, directly affecting a lot of people here in this country? You may say, "Oh, but it wasn't all priests that abused children etc." but I would argue that not all SS Officers were murdering, hateful and evil. Who draws the line where? :confused:

I wouldn't find anyone dressing up as a priest and making a mockery of child abuse remotely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some pun gold here.

I approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

His first name is Aidan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kazul wrote: »
    Quoted because I couldn't thank twice.
    I take it that none of the posters who find this funny have family members who were affected by the holocaust or met survivors who still have tattoos on their wrists.

A new low for boards.ie and frankly I'm shocked that this thread is still open.

Moderators, please note this and be aware of potential legal consequences...

There is nothing funny about mass murder, mass rape, butchering young children etc.

Those who have made light of this should hang their heads in shame.

the chances of any of us bumping into a survivor are slim to none. you should read the holocaust industry for an interesting take on that subject.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holocaust-Industry-Reflections-explotation-Suffering/dp/1859847730/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324294569&sr=8-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Nazi Mods, and their nazi avatars :mad:

yeah, put them on a train.

the chances of any of us bumping into a survivor are slim to none. you should read the holocaust industry for an interesting take on that subject.

While the chances of bumping into a concentration camp survivor is relatively low, the chances of bumping into other victims of the Nazis and their war, is quite high... and I include the children and grandchildren of those directly involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The Stars and Stripes represent many things, the Swastika represents one thing.

No, it doesn't.

The Swastika within a certain context represents one thing.

No, it doesn't.

The Swastika within a certain context represents one thing.

The example Zebra3 gave contained the context, so that's what I was comparing. I'm well aware of Kula Shaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The Stars and Stripes represent many things

To America's victims and many other right thinking people, it represents genocide and ethnic cleasing, just like the German national flag of 1933-1945 did.

Indymedia must be exporting.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    To America's victims and many other right thinking people, it represents genocide and ethnic cleasing, just like the German national flag of 1933-1945 did.

Yes. And to many more right thinking people, the Stars and Stripes is not solely equated with genocide and ethnic cleansing, in the same way as the German national flag of 1933-1945, because it's equating over 200 years of what is pretty clearly a mix of good and bad, with 12 years of pretty much exclusively bad.

Wonder if they were singing any songs, especially Xmas carols........"Jingle Bels-en"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

280special wrote: »
    Having talked to quite a few WW2 veterans including some who liberated Concentration camps I can assure you they wouldnt find some of the comments on this tread to be funny.

Seems like everyone who fought in ww2 claims to have liberated a camp; it's like being in the GPO in 1916.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

My mate bought a tee in england with "Nazi world tour" on it done like a band tour tee. england and moscow canceled.. its funny but i advised he not venture out wearing it. people are still sensitive about it.

Advertisement