Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP Sacked After Nazi Party Photo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He apologised to the Jewish Chronicle?

Ah sure that's ok, because they were the nazis only victims. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dudess wrote: »
    Doesn't exist actually - certainly not for a public rep. You can't say what you like in Britain, despite the teenage rebel notion that you can/should.

That's pretty sad, I always thought they actually did have that right in Britain. O_o
    What's the decaying Britain thing about?

It's a joke from another site, I momentarily forgot which part of the internets I was posting in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ah come one, I'm sure he's a gas man given his due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Zebra3 wrote: »

It's a bit like white celebrities who say the 'N word' apologising to Jesse Jackson. He's not the emperor of black people, and I'm sure the Jewish Chronicle isn't the support group for Nazi-victims either.

How long will it take for Nazism to become funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Doesn't exist actually - certainly not for a public rep. You can't say what you like in Britain, despite the teenage rebel notion that you can/should.

That's pretty sad, I always thought they actually did have that right in Britain. O_o
    Huh? There's nothing revelatory about that - there's libel, slander, the Incitement to Hatred Act. You can't go round saying whatever hateful sh1t you like without recourse - and rightly so. What about the rights of the people on the receiving end? Bizarre how some fascist kunt's free speech rights are deemed more important by some.
    Howls for free speech nearly always seem to come from people who want to say dickish things, e.g. supporters of that mayor in Naas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A lot of rezyklon been done here with all yers bad puns.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a bit like white celebrities who say the 'N word' apologising to Jesse Jackson. He's not the emperor of black people, and I'm sure the Jewish Chronicle isn't the support group for Nazi-victims either.

How will it take for Nazism to become funny?

Not long

Zebra3 wrote: »

How will it take for Nazism to become funny?
    Which aspects do you feel are worthy of being funny?

Which aspects do you feel are worthy of being funny?

Ah you know, the fact that Hitler and his cohorts all believed in the premise of an Aryan 'Master Race', even though barely any of them were blue-eyed or blonde at all.

Also the fact the Reinhard Heydrich had Jewish ancestry.

We've all the heard the holocaust jokes too. Tasteless as they may be people find humour in such things.

Also, Mein Kampf is quite a rollicking piece of fun too, if you find the crazed ramblings of a mad-man funny. Pity none of the leaders of Hitler's time read the damn thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Would have been a good Transport Minister too, good at making trains run on time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The Producers spoofed the nazi ridiculousness. So did an older movie - can't remember the name. Certain comedy takes on the third reich are sharp and not intended to offend. But some people just want to be dicks and/or outrageous for the sake of it, and pretend they're just joking.
    This story too - was it definitely just a joke nazi themed party? Can't see what's funny about it if it was - just "look at me!" stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I did nazi that coming..

The Producers spoofed the nazi ridiculousness. So did an older movie - can't remember the name. Certain comedy takes on the third reich are sharp and not intended to offend. But some people just want to be dicks and/or outrageous for the sake of it, and pretend they're just joking.
    This story too - was it definitely just a joke nazi themed party? Can't see what's funny about it if it was - just "look at me!" stuff.

Indeed, the shock value of wearing Nazi outfits has subsided. It's a lazy way to needlessly offend. People should look past the 1930s and 1940s for their attention-seeking endeavours.

Even the sons of fascists can't get away with this stuff anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Some people don't understand what fancy dress parties are.

This is the same furore as we had when Prince Harry went to a fancy dress party dressed as a Nazi in February 2005.

K-9 wrote: »
    Would have been a good Transport Minister too, good at making trains run on time.

They weren't too hot on return tickets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Seems like all the good puns have been goebbeled up at this stage.

Batsy wrote: »

This is the same furore as we had when Prince Harry went to a fancy dress party dressed as a Nazi in February 2005.
    Bet you'd be outraged by it if it was a bunch of people dressed up as Stalin and the red army.
    Interesting though how the "guardianistas" wouldn't do that, despite their apparent admiration of Stalin (in the imagination of wack-jobs).

Aidric wrote: »
    Seems like all the good puns have been goebbeled up at this stage.

I'm sure that there are some missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Time and a place really. Remember it is actually against the law in many European countries to wear Nazi regalia etc. without permission (say for filming a movie or some such)... if these twats wanted to dress up and play nazi they should've stayed in England to do it. Either way, it's not really that funny at the end of the day.

Satire is funny. Parody is funny. A group of no-doubt drunken English fools on the continent giving mock orders and Nazi salutes is not funny. In the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

This is the same Fuhrer as we had when Prince Harry went to a fancy dress party dressed as a Nazi in February 2005.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Somebody's got a zyklon in their bonnet:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Stalin killed more than the Nazis did. If I dressed up as Stalin for the laugh would I be condemned too? Or even Napoleon or Oliver Cromwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'm dressing as Cromwell next Hallowe'en in Drogheda. Wonder how many people would recognise the costume and run me outta town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

prinz wrote: »
    Time and a place really. Remember it is actually against the law in many European countries to wear Nazi regalia etc. without permission (say for filming a movie or some such)... if these twats wanted to dress up and play nazi they should've stayed in England to do it. Either way, it's not really that funny at the end of the day.

Satire is funny. Parody is funny. A group of no-doubt drunken English fools on the continent giving mock orders and Nazi salutes is not funny. In the slightest.

Quoted because I couldn't thank twice.
    I take it that none of the posters who find this funny have family members who were affected by the holocaust or met survivors who still have tattoos on their wrists.

A new low for boards.ie and frankly I'm shocked that this thread is still open.

Moderators, please note this and be aware of potential legal consequences...

There is nothing funny about mass murder, mass rape, butchering young children etc.

Those who have made light of this should hang their heads in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Put on a Nazi uniform and call over to my gaff, then you'll know what a furore is you imbecile.

mod: poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Just imagine the furore if a crowd of Tory gits had a party in Cork and dressed up as Black and Tans.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

kazul wrote: »
    I take it that none of the posters who find this funny have family members who were affected by the holocaust or met survivors who still have tattoos on their wrists.

There is nothing funny about mass murder, mass rape, butchering young children etc.

Oh will you give over. It might be tasteless, but tasteless humour is popular. Nazis and the Holocaust are so far removed from most peoples' experience now, well pretty much anyone posting on boards. Taking the piss out of Nazis is apart from anything else testament to the fact they and their philosophy was so thoroughly discredited. A bunch of murderous clowns.

And what are these legal consequences you're talking about?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

kazul banned. Insulting other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

kazul wrote: »

Would jew ever lighten up a bit?

Advertisement