Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrants hold candle-lit march

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Nodin wrote: »
    So somebody somewhere pulled it out of his arse. Another greatl leap forward for mankind.

It was a good post , I cannot recall which thread it was in as it was some months ago

I have stated a new thread here to see if we can find out where this 50,000 number comes from.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76067407#post76067407

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

EGAR wrote: »
    My OH's uncle emigrated to the UK in 1949. I never forget when we talked about his experiences and he said:*I never knew I was black until I opened my mouth over there.*

Yet the black GI's who came over for D Day were treated way better than in America. There was constant friction because a lot of English girls sympathised with them & would talk to them rather than with a white American.

Christianity in Ireland is a myth. I know three local people who attend Mass every day, without fail. They are the most unchristian people on the planet. One of my neighbours was joking that when he goes to Mass there are five people there who owe him over 5 grand each. He said that you can spot them because they rush for the door when the service is over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I would also like to see how the figure of 50,000 illegal irish in USA is arrived at.
    in 2012 I would say it closer to 5,000

With the amount of emigration in the last few years you think it's 5,000?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 3.5 mad Pajero

pmcmahon wrote: »
    lets throw them out when all the Illegal Irish return from America.
    I was Illegal in the US in mid 80s +wife 2 girls, worked like a dog, no welfare there, what we are dealing with here are professional Sponger,s. ie Nigerians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I was Illegal in the US in mid 80s +wife 2 girls, worked like a dog, no welfare there, what we are dealing with here are professional Sponger,s. ie Nigerians.

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 3.5 mad Pajero

Siuin wrote: »
    Not Non EU Spongers

Why are 'European Spongers' more welcome?
    Don't you remember!!!!!!! We are in the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

K-9 wrote: »
    With the amount of emigration in the last few years you think it's 5,000?

I said closer to 5,000 which is anything less than 27,500. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Which Nigerians? Saying they all are would be just silly.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Christianity in Ireland is a myth. I know three local people who attend Mass every day, without fail. They are the most unchristian people on the planet.
    Are they? Criticism of racism by making unfair comments about a nationality
    - logic fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Don't you remember!!!!!!! We are in the EU

:confused:
    A 'sponger' is a 'sponger' no matter where they come from- how does them being European make them any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

The sooner the whole immigration process is speeded up the better. Make a decision and if someone isnt entitled to be here then kick them out. And keep them out.

Keep the Polish, Brazilian and Russian chicks, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dudess wrote: »
    Are they? Criticism of racism by making unfair comments about a nationality
    - logic fail.

So what percentage of people live according to the teachings of Jesus ? I think that it is a pretty fair comment. It is not racist to Ireland as it applies to all so called Christian societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dudess wrote: »
    Which Nigerians? Saying they all are would be just silly.

The 95% of the Nigerians who applied for asylum in Ireland had it refused on first application, miles more than any other nationality, including other African nations. Many thousands of these took advantage of the right of soil to remain here by having Irish born children until that had to be removed by referendum, so acute was the abuse. Many of the remainder managed to stay by marrying EU citizens or in some cases, leaving for the UK then reapplying under new identities. It is for such reasons that Nigerians are often singled out in such discussions. The case of their nationality's abuse of our immigration and asylum system is well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Good point Cavehill. You've mentioned Nigerians, won't long till this is

pulled into a racist thing. I get the feeling on boards that it suits the PC

crowd when this happens. Nothing like throwing something off track and

getting it closed. If your from a war torn country by all means stay.

But i feel that Nigerians are very much here to exploit our state for

everything its got. Remember auld Pamela from Sligo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

http://www.djei.ie/press/2011/20111216a.htm

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but since you are giving out that Ireland isn't protecting Irish workers and jobs I thought this might be good news for you and bad news for me.

A short briefing about this link: Ireland keeps the restrictions for Romanians and Bulgarians for another 2 years.

I am Romanian so this is bad news for me, but from your point of view this might be good news.

Happy Xmas to everyone :)

The 95% of the Nigerians who applied for asylum in Ireland had it refused on first application, miles more than any other nationality, including other African nations. Many thousands of these took advantage of the right of soil to remain here by having Irish born children until that had to be removed by referendum, so acute was the abuse. Many of the remainder managed to stay by marrying EU citizens or in some cases, leaving for the UK then reapplying under new identities. It is for such reasons that Nigerians are often singled out in such discussions. The case of their nationality's abuse of our immigration and asylum system is well documented.

....despite the fact they've a miniscule chance of getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

MAR86 wrote: »
    http://www.djei.ie/press/2011/20111216a.htm

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but since you are giving out that Ireland isn't protecting Irish workers and jobs I thought this might be good news for you and bad news for me.

A short briefing about this link: Ireland keeps the restrictions for Romanians and Bulgarians for another 2 years.

I am Romanian so this is bad news for me, but from your point of view this might be good news.

Happy Xmas to everyone :)
    I realise that this must be disappointing for you, but the simple fact is that Ireland no longer has the capacity to deal with the problems of your country and Bulgaria. It just doesn't make logical sense that we would allow more foreign workers in when we are already struggling with unemployment ourselves.

Ahh, no worries, I totally get it and understand it, I just hoped that things would be a bit easier for myself.

I was just trying to show you that your government is trying as much as possible to stop or at least to reduce immigration. Now, it is not possible to track everyone and kick them out, but at least they are trying to do the right thing.

Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ahh, no worries, I totally get it and understand it, I just hoped that things would be a bit easier for myself.

I was just trying to show you that your government is trying as much as possible to stop or at least to reduce immigration. Now, it is not possible to track everyone and kick them out, but at least they are trying to do the right thing.

Cheers! :)

I have no problem with Romanians and Bulgarians coming here. It's discriminatory that other EU citizens can but they cannot. Ireland made a mistake, along with the UK and Sweden, in opening our borders to the East before the rest of Western Europe. As a result we got a massively disproportionate influx our infrastructure couldn't cope with. But that's water under the bridge now, and I can't see a huge influx of Balkans coming here given our current reputation as a bankrupt nation. However, I really do wish there was some way to keep the Roma out of Ireland. They contribute absolutely nothing.

I wish there was a way to keep the Roma gypsies out of Ireland but a few years ago EU obliged us to give them passports and stop discriminating them, we knew this was wrong and we tried to avoid it because Roma gypsies have been like this for centuries, no one can change them or integrate them in the society because this is their lifestyle, they don't know better. On the other side I understand Ireland's position in keeping the restrictions for Romanians and Bulgarians because this country has been invaded by east Europeans since 2004 so I don't blame anyone, but I do blame EU for forcing Romania to give gypsies passports.

I hope people can make the difference between Romanians and Roma gypsies:))

I wish there was a way to keep the Roma gypsies out of Ireland but a few years ago EU obliged us to give them passports and stop discriminating them, .............

What a bunch of nazis that EU lot are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

The emigration system in Ireland is dysfunctional on many levels. It's breaching the human right to have a family. I know a couple who are non EU her husband has lived here for the past 11 years and he is now an Irish citizen, he first came her on a green card but his wife came two years after him and she needed a visa to come here!! to live with her husband so here is a fine example of how the Irish emigration system doesn't respect and protect the right to have a family. There is also cases I know about where some Irish people I know who' s partner is non EU and they have a child, their partner doesn't have the right to live here and work here on a long term basis to help provide from his child/family. The Irish emigration system is a disgrace, breaching basic human right to provide and live with your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Another thing why does Irish emigration system give perferences to EUs, many of who are uneducated and some who are criminals rather than highly skilled and educated non EUs who can make a active contribution to the economy?

Many if not most roma gypies are uneducated, it's not their fault they are here begging -that is all they know and that is how they were raised so how would they know any better. I know each country has to take in asylum seekers and that is fair enought but the government is not meeting their needs to edeucational, training and employment to allow them to contribute to society and to help build the Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I'm willing to chip in a few quid to send the Roma home for Christmas. As long as they agree never to return...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yeah well, they can just keep it in their pants.

RIP dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

but I do blame EU for forcing Romania to give gypsies passports.

And why not?? Even dogs and cats are allowed to travel within Europe with a passport and we are talking human beings, not vermin! I do not like the implication of this comment made by you about your fellow country men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Chinasea wrote: »
    The majority of the responses here are obnoxious.

Just remember one thing, relfect back on only the last few years on how many migrants have been attacked, racially abused and murdered.

Shame on Ireland the ETERNAL NATION OF IMMIGRANTS.

"Some weeks ago (on Good Friday, in fact) a 15-year old boy was killed in Tyrellstown, Co Dublin. Toyoshi ****tabey was walking home from the swimming pool when, it is reported, he and a friend were subjected to a racist verbal assault. It has been reported that while ****tabey and his friend walked away from the scene, the assailants went to a house, acquired a knife, followed the youngsters to their car, and stabbed ****tabey in the heart. "

If you are trying to imply that those of us who question whether there should be untramelled right of access for immigrants to this country are somehow fellow travellers with racist murders, then that's a despicible low blow, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Also, reprehensible as the act was, it took place almost 24 months ago, and not the few weeks that your post seeks to imply.
    Awwwww, another lonely Xmas for the trapped Irish: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Another-lonely-Christmas-for-illegal-Irish-trapped-in-the-United-States-135602673.html

But the illegal immigrants over here should burn in hell, seeing that they eat our swans and steal our wimmins - or was it the other way around?

I can see how certain rules are applied. Ah sure the poor Irish in the US, never got a break and they work like dogs...

No, you don't really see because you don't want to. It's far easier to argue when you paint those who oppose your point as incoonsistent bigots eh? Makes for a pretty crappy argument though, but if you're incapable of anything better well off you go and be deliberately disingenuous.

If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that many who don't think immigrants should have automatic residency rights, have labelled as inconsistent and hypocritical the government's apporach to the illegal Irish in America. Obviously that was too nuanced and comlex for you.
    Ah feck all the illegals in Ireland, let's deport them.

Yes, let's. Otherwise we may as well just throw our borders open.
    Merry Xmas to you all, love thy neighbour and all that craic. And here was me thinking Christianity was more a lifestyle than a religion in these parts.

And please don't forget to give a few Pounds for the starving black babies in Africa so you can say you have done something good.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and I have to say it definitely complements the low levels of intellect endevour displayed in your post.
    ....despite the fact they've a miniscule chance of getting in.

No...they have a miniscue chance of being let in as documented workers etc.

Einhard wrote: »

No...they have a miniscue chance of being let in as documented workers etc.

He stated they "abuse the asylum system" despite the fact that they have a .01% chance of being granted asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Einhard wrote: »
    No, you don't really see because you don't want to. It's far easier to argue when you paint those who oppose your point as incoonsistent bigots eh? Makes for a pretty crappy argument though, but if you're incapable of anything better well off you go and be deliberately disingenuous.

If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that many who don't think immigrants should have automatic residency rights, have labelled as inconsistent and hypocritical the government's apporach to the illegal Irish in America. Obviously that was too nuanced and comlex for you.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and I have to say it definitely complements the low levels of intellect endevour displayed in your post.

Oh wow, someone needs some anger management classes. Perhaps you ought to explain the words *incoonsistent* and *comlex* to me, obviously I am not smart enough to understand your ad hominem post. Way too complex for me. Merry Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

He stated they "abuse the asylum system" despite the fact that they have a .01% chance of being granted asylum.

More importantly, I am surprised no one is asking for any evidence for his assertions.

Cavehill implied that:
    Cavehill, can you provide sources to back up your assertions there? I am highly interested in the part where you said that " the remainder managed to stay by marrying EU citizens" and I am even more curious about "Nigerians leaving for the UK and reapplying under new identities".

As this is a discussion forum, it is only right that posters provide proof to back up their claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Applying for political asylum when one has no grounds to do would seem to me an abuse of the system.
    Oh wow, someone needs some anger management classes. Perhaps you ought to explain the words *incoonsistent* and *comlex* to me, obviously I am not smart enough to understand your ad hominem post. Way too complex for me. Merry Xmas!

You sought to imply that anyone who raises legitimate questions illegal immigrants does so from bigotry. That sounds pretty ad honinem to me, and completely bogus too.

Advertisement