Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there really 50,000 illegal Irish in the USA?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

yes its true and they all dress like they're stuck in the 1980s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The majority of them have been there since the 80's and early to mid 90's rather than from the new wave of emigration. 50,000 does seem quite high though, I'd imagine it's probably closer to 30,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

i know that most of them are from decades ago......but i'm sure that at least a small number of J1s are overstaying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You would imaging that the majority of the pre 1990 ones are now legal due to Morrison and Donnelly visas

When I lived there is the late '90s early '00s most of the illegals were pre 1997, pre the start of the Celtic tiger, a lot went home in the '00s due to the good conditions at home and the post 911 security changes.

I'd say any new illegals are young people layed off by the crash, but I doubt the numbers going over are as high as in previous decades

Advertisement