Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrants hold candle-lit march

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

chucken1 wrote: »
    Again....What LAW?? are they breaking?

You show me?

None is the answer

The country's immigration laws which require that a person have a legitimate and currently valid visa to remain if they are not a citizen of the European Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Again....What LAW?? are they breaking?

You show me?

None is the answer

Visa requirements for entering Ireland
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/visa_requirements_for_entering_ireland.html

Ireland has *laws* that dictate who can enter the country. Entering the country without meeting the requirements specified by law, is *illegal*.

There are other laws regarding employment and work permits too.

Work permit legislation
    http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/legislation.htm

If someone is in Ireland illegally *and* working a job, they'd be breaking additional laws that allow Ireland to control the incoming work force. There are conditions that must be met, applications that must be completed, fees that must be paid, all before an immigrant can work in Ireland. Some of these conditions ensure that immigrants won't work as slave labour and reduce the wages for the Irish. There are also conditions the employer must meet (like the keeping more than 50% of the workforce EEA verse non-EEA workers).

If a company is willing to break the law and hire illegals - it's quite likely that they are also willing to break tax laws too. Companies need your PPS number so that they can do whatever it is they do with the PAYE system. You won't have a PPS number if you are undocumented. You can't get the PPS number until you have your job offer, your approved work permit, have registered with the GNIB and pay for a card, and then submit the PPS request form.

An illegal/undocumented worker can't do those things. I don't know how they'd pay taxes. I'm sure not paying income tax is against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Well it was their choice to come here, no need complaining...
    Unfortunately for Irish people we didn't really have the same choice because many of us were born in this dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Call that a march? You'd hardly notice it. Now let the undocumented Irish in the USA put one on and show those people what a really big march is.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

booboo88 wrote: »
    Migrants that claim welfare are not welcome.

If they are paying the taxes, they are entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Hobbes wrote: »
    If they are paying the taxes, they are entitled to it.
    If claiming jobseekers, or dole then they're clearly not paying taxes. Are am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Oh won't be long till this interesting thread goes all "racist" and is then closed.

Come on PC brigade :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

booboo88 wrote: »
    If claiming jobseekers, or dole then they're clearly not paying taxes. Are am I mistaken?

I thought immigrants were inelibilbe for such benefits - even if they were here legally?

I'd been told that if I lose my job, I cannot collect any benefits and have six months to get another job that meets the same requirements before I have to leave the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I was just thinking if Cameron succeeds in getting Britain out of Europe (which I think is his intention he strikes me as Thatcher junior) we will have a lot more legal immigrants here.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

economic migrants who have worked and paid tax are entitled and shourld be entitled to welfare there is nothing wrong with this thats why its called prsi, its insurance !!!

Asylum seekers get the bare minimum of food, shelkter and 19.00 a week pocket money and legal aid they are not allowed work even if they want to until their claim is processed this can take years there are many people with very legitimate claims to asylum, who want to settle here work and pay taxes but they cant because they are waiting for their case to be heard they are no more interested in 19.00 a week than we would be!

Asylum seekers who have had their claim processed and refused and have stayed here, are entitled to a stay in night shelters and can see gps within the homeless system they get no money whats so ever and rely completely on the homless system and migrants charities and places like the capuchin day centre, ever consider maybe these cases were legitimate and they just had a bad lawyer or a bigotted judge or just not enough evidence to support their claim they may still face death and torture if they left but they cant prove it!

Economic migrants who havent worked here get the same as illeagals ...homeless system that a way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Robdude wrote: »
    I thought immigrants were inelibilbe for such benefits - even if they were here legally?

I'd been told that if I lose my job, I cannot collect any benefits and have six months to get another job that meets the same requirements before I have to leave the country?
    Do you have a pps number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

gcgirl wrote: »
    I know for a fact if your an european citizen you have to work for 2 yrs in order to even claim dole, it's the same for an Irish person coming home after being away for several years, so nope you don't get free this free that

Working for 2 years is nothing if you know that in the end you will be entitled to a handsome social welfare payment every week, no questions asked. Its a huge incentive for people to come here and that should never be the case.

My neighbour in the flat up stairs (lovely lady), came to Ireland 7 years ago, worked for 5 and has been on the dole for the last 2 years. She told me outright the other day that she is never going to look (seriously) for a job and will stay here for as long as she can, on the dole, as long as she can. "I'm too old to be looking for work" she said....shes 49 :)

If that's how our system operates, then more power to her. Its our own fault for having a system which is so easily open to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

mfceiling wrote: »
    EGAR wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1217/migrants.html

An estimated 30.000?? How do they survive?

Easy...by stealing our women, eating our swans, fiddling cash machines/welfare scams etc...
    I dont think they come for irish women lets be fair. Irish women arent hot like swedes haha. As another poster said great opportunity to round them up and deport them. I thought that was the law? They are illegals like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I see the immigrants are getting a lot of support and compassion in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I wont/cant comment on European Migrants because I dont believe(I could be wrong)that the 30,000 are Europeans.
    Id speculate that most are asylum seekers who have had their claim refused.
    More than likely people from war torn countries.

ALL of them?:confused:

30Min wrote: »
    Working for 2 years is nothing if you know that in the end you will be entitled to a handsome social welfare payment every week, no questions asked. Its a huge incentive for people to come here and that should never be the case.

My neighbour in the flat up stairs (lovely lady), came to Ireland 7 years ago, worked for 5 and has been on the dole for the last 2 years. She told me outright the other day that she is never going to look (seriously) for a job and will stay here for as long as she can, on the dole, as long as she can. "I'm too old to be looking for work" she said....shes 49 :)

If that's how our system operates, then more power to her. Its our own fault for having a system which is so easily open to abuse.

Ergo an €18Bn deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I dont think they come for irish women lets be fair. Irish women arent hot like swedes haha. As another poster said great opportunity to round them up and deport them. I thought that was the law? They are illegals like!!

Quote:

Why are these two places so popular with Irish people?
    Because Ireland is a dump who's government screwed it up and people wanna go find work. Ireland is probably the most depressing country I know of. And all the sh*t about the beautiful scenery amazes me. I think Irish country side is just a soggy worn down mountain. So look at the state of your own country before you judge

You don't like Irish women,the scenery ,immigrants

All according to yourself Sandmanporto

You're not a very happy bunny this morning ,are ya ?:pac::pac:,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Robdude wrote: »

Might need to check on it. I know when you the country you can claim tax back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

As much as I hate Ireland sometimes LGBT issues are relatively safe here and I'd say a few of those migrants might have that problem of surpressing their sexuality in their home country for fear

That would be ONE reason. Im actually glad this was brought up.
    We're friends with a 33 year old guy from Pakistan. When he was 18 he was sent to the States to study. While he was there he met a guy and they lived together as partners.
    When his studies finished he returned home,BUT the wrong people heard about
    "his antics" and someone shot at him. Simlpy because he Muslim and gay.

The most horrible thing was,the shot missed and hit his 10 year old brother who is now paralysed from the neck down.

His parents are totally supportive of him but he can NEVER go home.
    He arrived here because he felt he would NEVER be treated badly here..8 months on he is settling in,but WE have lost "friends" because of our friendship with him...

Huh?

edit: Put yourself in his shoes and multiply it by 30,000

Fully expect a lot of flak for this , but, if his culture wont accept him for who he is, why should we have to take him in ? He had a partner in the u.s. could he not have returned there ?

Waiting to go groundhog now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

mattjack wrote: »

Quote:

Why are these two places so popular with Irish people?
    Because Ireland is a dump who's government screwed it up and people wanna go find work. Ireland is probably the most depressing country I know of. And all the sh*t about the beautiful scenery amazes me. I think Irish country side is just a soggy worn down mountain. So look at the state of your own country before you judge

You don't like Irish women,the scenery ,immigrants

All according to yourself Sandmanporto

You're not a very happy bunny this morning ,are ya ?:pac::pac:,
    Haha yeah i guess not. I was never very proud of this country to begin with. Who the f**uk would wanna be an illegal here! I mean it is depressing enough being legal here to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I know a chick who came to Ireland as a 'refugee' (ie she's Jewish and was born in Israel but her family are from Russia, then they moved to Canada and lived the good life, then ran out of money there so they claimed they were fleeing 'religious persecution'... in Russia... where only their mother had ever lived). She hated their accommodation, mainly because she was a flaming racist and nearly all the other refugees there were black, and never bothered to learn English to any kind of standard. After a few years she moved to Israel on her own and her mom had made enough money to bring her sister back to Canada with her. Basically, Ireland seems a soft touch to use and abuse before you GTFO again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

As much as I hate Ireland sometimes LGBT issues are relatively safe here and I'd say a few of those migrants might have that problem of surpressing their sexuality in their home country for fear

But there are probably over 200,000,000 LBGT people in the world; are we to grant them all citizenship?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

30Min wrote: »

Why not do your civic duty and report her to the authorities for not seeking work while getting jobseekers allowance? Because she's a lovely lady? Newsflash, she's not a lovely lady, she's a fukcing scrounger.
    All social welfare fraud should be reported immediately. You see these cünts down the pub, drinking their dole, child allowance and disability benefits, giving out about bankers and politicians and how they ruined the country. The irony is lost on these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Our government is lobbying for the undocumented Irish in America, estimated at about 50,000. Is it not hypocritical for them to then ignore our own undocumented ?

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/President-Obamas-visit-to-Ireland-to-highlight-undocumented-Irish-in-the-US-119680669.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Our government is lobbying for the undocumented Irish in America, estimated at about 50,000. Is it not hypocritical for them to then ignore our own undocumented ?

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/President-Obamas-visit-to-Ireland-to-highlight-undocumented-Irish-in-the-US-119680669.html

It's not only hypocritical, but embarassing. How can Enda Kenny or anyone else lobby for Irish undocumented in the states while (rightly, IMO) seeking to deport such people in Ireland? Even worse, they're basically demanding that the Irish in America get a special deal, while the Mexicans and others are ignored.

Einhard wrote: »
    It's not only hypocritical, but embarassing. How can Enda Kenny or anyone else lobby for Irish undocumented in the states while (rightly, IMO) seeking to deport such people in Ireland? Even worse, they're basically demanding that the Irish in America get a special deal, while the Mexicans and others are ignored.

The difference is that the Irish actually have to WORK when they get there. And are not handed everything on a platter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The difference is that the Irish actually have to WORK when they get there. And are not handed everything on a platter.

It's been pointed out earlier that you can't just arrive here and claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 3.5 mad Pajero

If it's non EU nationals you mean, the sponge off the State, the Nigerians are drawing million,s from Irish Taxpayer,s, I worked as an illegal, in the 80s,along with my wife & 2 girl,s. No welfare, just keep your nose down, and work like a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 3.5 mad Pajero

The so called war torn countries, Nigeria in 10 years will be the 20th richest country in the world, Nigerian,s that are here, are not the neglected from their country, but rich Prof, Sponger,s , Beware of what,s to come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

The so called war torn countries, Nigeria in 10 years will be the 20th richest country in the world, Nigerian,s that are here, are not the neglected from their country, but rich Prof, Sponger,s , Beware of what,s to come

Sung to the tune of the Batman theme:

"Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma Comma ...bullsh1t!"

Advertisement