Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am Chile wrote: »
    While I haven,t seen the full leaflet,I have seen the cover of it, it looks something like a holiday brochure.

Streetlights, parks, and libraries.
    None of those out my way.

Strangely Germanic looking youth on the front as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

More about the leaflet here - see the full copy
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-leaflets-going-out-this-week.html

Its headed " BETTER COMMUNITIES START AT YOUR DOORSTEP"

To be honest it's not going to put much fear into people - no mention of fines or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

R.T.E. are the Government mouthpieces. They show what they are told to. It's worse than China or 1960's Russia of late.

Ah now. A bit of an exaggeration there. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ogham wrote: »
    More about the leaflet here - see the full copy
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/household-charge-leaflets-going-out-this-week.html

Its headed " BETTER COMMUNITIES START AT YOUR DOORSTEP"

To be honest it's not going to put much fear into people - no mention of fines or anything like that.

There is mention of penalties for late payment.

I can see thousands of these going straight into peoples bins without them even being looked at.

The paragraph on where the €100 will be spent is a joke,I doubt very much we'll see one single new amenity being built as a result of this tax.
    It talks of funding street cleaning etc. and all the while the government are to introduce budget cuts to local authorities-doesn't add up imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    It'll probably get kicked down the road a bit and then in their 4th year in office and with the IMF just gone out the door it'll be scrapped in order to buy the next election!
    Irish politics at its best!
    I thought that the IMF have mandated that we introduce a property tax (and this is a precursor)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

dvpower wrote: »
    I thought that the IMF have mandated that we introduce a property tax (and this is a precursor)?
    "and with the IMF just gone out the door"! They won't control us forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Facts are, everyone on this tread will pay the charges, everyone in Ireland will pay the charges, and do you know why? Because everyone will just sit at home complaining and moaning about it, but wont actually do nothing about it. If the Irish government brought out a tax on the air we breed the same thing would happen, we would all pay eventually, we are the only country in Europe that takes **** like this lying down. If this was France there would be riots, it wouldn't happen there or anywhere else in Europe, nobody else would stand for it, only the Irish do!!! People can complain and moan about the government bringing in taxes on this and that but at the end of the day we only have ourselves to blame, and do you know why? Because we let them do it too us!!

They actually didn't.I got that info from a TD so make of it what you will.

The government are using the IMF as an excuse to introduce this tax when all along the IMF have never sanctioned or even mentioned the need for a property tax.

mikom wrote: »
    I'm calling it here now........ no more that 20% will have paid this tax by the final day.
    Anyone else care to give an educated guess.
    I think it'll be a lot higher than 20% - even among the people who voted in this poll (who are liable to pay) 34% say they will pay and a further 16% are Don't Knows.
    I expect the general population to be far more compliant than Boards users.

Once the leaflets get delivered, the deadline draws closer and there is more coverage in the media, I expect a big pick up in registrations. I'd guesstimate is between 40% and 50% by the first week in March.

Facts are, everyone on this tread will pay the charges, everyone in Ireland will pay the charges, and do you know why? Because everyone will just sit at home complaining and moaning about it, but wont actually do nothing about it. If the Irish government brought out a tax on the air we breed the same thing would happen, we would all pay eventually, we are the only country in Europe that takes **** like this lying down. If this was France there would be riots, it wouldn't happen there or anywhere else in Europe, nobody else would stand for it, only the Irish do!!! People can complain and moan about the government bringing in taxes on this and that but at the end of the day we only have ourselves to blame, and do you know why? Because we let them do it too us!!

We don't need to riot, just don't pay it!

SIPTU have called for it to be scrapped and everyone knows that the unions here tell the government what to do.

• Advertisement

True and you don't even have to leave the house,besides with the price of petrol these days, the molotov cocktails are gona be made from baby Powers bottles and not much good for rioting with.

zerks wrote: »
    They actually didn't.I got that info from a TD so make of it what you will.

Its on page 34 of the MOU

SIPTU have called for it to be scrapped and everyone knows that the unions here tell the government what to do.

I never said anything about starting a riot! I just meant that in France the people don't let their government screw them the way we do. My point is that everyone here is saying that they wont pay the household charges when in the end everyone here will! Every time a new tax comes in everyone says they won't pay it but eventually they do!!

Its on page 34 of the MOU

It's not mentioned anywhere there.Did you read it? Only thing of real importance to the general public is a call for action to help those on low incomes or social welfare. A €100 tax is hardly going to help them is it?

I never said anything about starting a riot! I just meant that in France the people don't let their government screw them the way we do. My point is that everyone here is saying that they wont pay the household charges when in the end everyone here will! Every time a new tax comes in everyone says they won't pay it but eventually they do!!
    Will you pay it?

Will you pay it?

I don't want to pay it, but I guess I'll have to when I'm the only person In Ireland left who hasn't payed it!

I don't want to pay it, but I guess I'll have to when I'm the only person In Ireland left who hasn't payed it!
    Ah, but sure if everyone thinks like that......
    Just DON'T register, let them come looking for it. If you register for it you've given your consent.
    And trust me, you'll get a lot of BS on here from others trying to frighten you into paying it.
    Make up your own mind!

zerks wrote: »
    It's not mentioned anywhere there.Did you read it? Only thing of real importance to the general public is a call for action to help those on low incomes or social welfare. A €100 tax is hardly going to help them is it?
    Seen it on page 32. 1 line about it.

Seen it on page 32. 1 line about it.

Ah,your original post said page 34.A lot of that stuff is from proposals put forward by the government and not actually from the IMF.
    The gist of most of the document is "here's what we plan to do in order to get ourselves out of the hole we're in"
    I see a hike in the Carbon Tax is on the cards-that's the Greens legacy there and should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I'll pay it as long as everyone else has to pay it. No exemptions.

Would you include GOD's House? ... or is he/she Exempt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Out of Interest have you being to any anti household tax public meetings and seen the anger that,s out there among people?

Ah, but sure if everyone thinks like that......
    Just DON'T register, let them come looking for it. If you register for it you've given your consent.
    And trust me, you'll get a lot of BS on here from others trying to frighten you into paying it.
    Make up your own mind!

I have already made my mind up not to pay it, but this is something everybody has to do or it just wont work, and it will work if everyone does it, but I'm afraid to many people will give in to the new tax and we'll all have to cough up.

I was at the Enniscorthy meeting and there was a lot of anger,here's one video of the meeting.There are others,simply click 'watch on youtube to see the rest.

Mick Wallace alludes to Fine Gaels opposition to a household tax when Fianna Fail proposed bringing in one,how the worm has turned.

I have already made my mind up not to pay it, but this is something everybody has to do or it just wont work, and it will work if everyone does it, but I'm afraid to many people will give in to the new tax and we'll all have to cough up.
    Even if 50% don't register, that's 900,000 households. That would bring an already clogged up courts system to its knees. BTW only 5% have registered so far.

Once the leaflets get delivered, the deadline draws closer and there is more coverage in the media, I expect a big pick up in registrations. I'd guesstimate is between 40% and 50% by the first week in March.

At 40% that would require 536,000 to pay between now and the first week in March.
    That's 28,000 a day.
    Not gonna happen

mikom wrote: »
    At 40% that would require 536,000 to pay between now and the first week in March.
    That's 28,000 a day.
    Not gonna happen
    Everyone should take those leaflets, mark a big X across them, put them in an envelope and send them to our local TD's. Someone will have to open them and then they might, just might, start listening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Mr Beard from STIPU was on encouraging the ''don't register, don't pay'' campaign. SF have also showed face. I guess that just leaves the hapless twits of FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I can't see everyone paying it as some here say they can.
    Some will obviously hold out as long as possible till the threatening letters come through the letterbox - then get scared and cough-up. That part is inevitable to some extent.
    Others will be die-hards and just not pay.
    Now as to what final percentage will not ultimately pay, is another question.

Anyone that thinks all will pay, is certainly fooling themselves.

Everyone should take those leaflets, mark a big X across them, put them in an envelope and send them to our local TD's. Someone will have to open them and then they might, just might, start listening!

Wooderson: Man, it’s the same bull**** they tried to pull in my day.
    You know if it ain’t that piece of paper it’s some other choice they’re going to try and make for you.
    You gotta do what Randall ‘Pink’ Floyd wants to do man.
    And let me tell you this. The older you do get, the more rules they going to try to get you to follow.
    You just gotta keep livin’ man. L.I.V.I.N.

Slater: Man, if you’re going to sign that paper man. You should throw a little grass right in the middle man. Roll it up. Sign the joint man. That’s going to tell them something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

96% of people didn't pay at all last time. That was 1996

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement