Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Nine TDs turned up for a photo call to rally interest in the 'don't register, don't pay' campaign. Small turn out for such an important issue.

You'd think at least the shinners or the hapless twats remaining in FF would show face. Just goes to show how much our TDs care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

phog wrote: »
    Is this true? Got it in an email and wonder is this an actual opt out from the charge?
    Yeah. Of course it is.

Those emails from Nigerian Generals are also kosher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

mikom wrote: »
    Nationwide day of protest on the 25th of February proposed as well.

That will be a better indication of the strength of the campaign than the figures for payments received, but I don't expect much from a pretty much leaderless campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

dvpower wrote: »
    That will be a better indication of the strength of the campaign than the figures for payments received, but I don't expect much from a pretty much leaderless campaign.

Stalinist!!:eek:

:pac:

It's certainly going well thus far.

I was on the train today and had a good chat with three guys; a buck from Sligo living in Longford, round 60, a country buck like, a younger fellah, round 30, and a chap from Nigeria, who has been living here for 11 years, has a house in Longford, in the seats around me, which doesn't usually happen at all. Normally I'd shun everyone and pretend to sleep.
    We all agreed that the charges were unfair and that we wouldn't be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Waterford City Council has put a motion forward against the new charge!! Great work everyone keep spreading the word every where you go DONT REGISTER DONT PAY!! This will be abolished if the majority holds of registering!! Stand up and dont be a fool!!

http://www.workerspartyireland.net/id699.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pete M. wrote: »

I was on the train today and had a good chat with three guys; a buck from Sligo living in Longford, round 60, a country buck like, a younger fellah, round 30, and a chap from Nigeria, who has been living here for 11 years, has a house in Longford, in the seats around me, which doesn't usually happen at all. Normally I'd shun everyone and pretend to sleep.
    We all agreed that the charges were unfair and that we wouldn't be paying.

Lucky an inspector didnt get on, but what about the household tax?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

I reckon something high like 90% of people will say 'no they wont'. While truth is majority will.

Its an individual game. No one wants to pay it. But people wont band together to not pay it. So average joe will be thinking "to hell if i am going to be the one of few getting stung by not paying it" then pays it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Jake187 wrote: »
    I reckon something high like 90% of people will say 'no they wont'. While truth is majority will.

Its an individual game. No one wants to pay it. But people wont band together to not pay it. So average joe will be thinking "to hell if i am going to be the one of few getting stung by not paying it" then pays it.

Its worth noting nearly two weeks ago the figures paying and registering was less then five per cent.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/ireland/96-per-cent-of-households-fail-to-register-for-new-poperty-tax-186411.html

two weeks later it remains the same less then five per cent.
    Less than five per cent of households have paid the household charge with only a month and a half till the deadline.

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/over-95-havent-registered-for-household-charge-0020991-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Am Chile wrote: »
    Its worth noting nearly two weeks ago the figures paying and registering was less then five per cent.

I'm calling it here now........ no more that 20% will have paid this tax by the final day.
    Anyone else care to give an educated guess.

I'm calling it here now........ no more that 20% will have paid this tax by the final day.

Based on the current level of registitrations and payments, Il put it at 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭vixdname

I wouldn't be basing my view on a poll on Boards. Let's see if more than 50% are compliant on 31 March 2012.

Who has a spare Eur100? Vast majority of people. They just view the night in the Pub as mandatory / their sky TV is mandatory / their three foreign holidays a year are mandatory / eating out a few times a week is mandatory etc etc etc. It's a strange recession in this country when you see how busy the pubs were right over Christmas. Wait til you see the crowds at the Rugby matches...... But oh no, don't ask me to make a pissy little contribution towards putting the country back on a stable footing......

For Christs sake, what planet are you living on, YES €100 isnt a lot of money for most people, but for SOME people its the final straw.
    The issue isnt the €100, the real issue is how much will that €100 rise by in the coming years, some in the know estimate approx €1000 a year if not more. now THAT will be a different story for MOST people when its finally implemented - Look past you F*****g nose !!!

Jake187 wrote: »

I think you re Underestimating people, most people are Intelligent enough to understand it won,t be staying at 100 euro, from being at public meetings I have seen how angry people are, there was two anti household tax protests last weekend in carlow and wexford but rte somehow forgot to mention it to their viewers.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.303283819730390.72354.100001463231015&type=3

Last week there was anti household tax public meeting in waterford that drew a crowd of over 600-the protest at donegal county council two months ago reflects the anger thats out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

A lot of people are saying (and I totally agree) that €100 is only the start and it will soon go up to around €1000. Why not take action THEN if it does?

Truth is that the majority will pay up at the first application of pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

One of the problems I have with this unjust tax is the discriminatory way in which it is intended to be applied.
    If you live in private rented accommodation or rented council accommodation, your exempt.
    WHY?
    They've said that this tax is to pay for local services provided by the local councils.
    Do the above mentioned not make use of these services?
    In the UK people who rent have to pay the council tax too and that tax also includes refuse collection which as everyone knows over here is being privatised and going to get more expensive year on year.

The thing is that this tax has nothing to do with local services, it's another way of screwing the middle classes here in order to pay off private debts ran up by a select few!

DON'T REGISTER, DON'T PAY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From my own surveys about 14/17% will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Am Chile wrote: »
    I think you re Underestimating people, most people are Intelligent enough to understand it won,t be staying at 100 euro, from being at public meetings I have seen how angry people are, there was two anti household tax protests last weekend in carlow and wexford but rte somehow forgot to mention it to their viewers.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.303283819730390.72354.100001463231015&type=3

Last week there was anti household tax public meeting in waterford that drew a crowd of over 600-the protest at donegal county council two months ago reflects the anger thats out there.

R.T.E. are the Government mouthpieces. They show what they are told to. It's worse than China or 1960's Russia of late.

I reckon that once we start pulling out of this recession this tax will be quietly dropped and never be heard of again.
    A few on here will feel a bit foolish then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I reckon that once we start pulling out of this recession this tax will be quietly dropped and never be heard of again.

Dont fool yourself.

If they manage to get it slid under the door, it'll be here to stay!

The only way is to not let that happen!

Once again, I'm exempt (unfinished estate) but I'll help promote the anti-tax campaign until I'm worn out!

Dont register, Dont pay!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://www.thejournal.ie/93-per-cent-of-homes-havent-paid-household-charge-yet-358297-Feb2012/

93 per cent of homes haven’t paid household charge yet
    ONLY ONE out of every 15 households liable for the government’s new Household Charge has so far registered to pay for the charge, new figures show.
    Data supplied by the Department of the Environment to TheJournal.ie shows that as of yesterday afternoon, some 103,916 homes had paid the €100 fee, which is a precursor to full water and property taxes in the coming years.

With government estimates projecting the charge would raise €160 million, based on the presence of approximately 1.6 million households in the country, the figures mean that just under 6.5 per cent of homes have registered so far.
    This is despite the fact that over half of the three-month window for homeowners to register for the charge has now elapsed.

Registrations for the charge opened on January 1, with owners of qualifying property obliged to pay up by March 31 or face penalties of between 10 and 30 per cent depending on the delay.
    Late payment interest is also charged on the payment, at a rate of 1 per cent per month, meaning that homeowners who don’t pay up by March 2013 would be liable to a charge of €147 instead of the usual €100.

Owners of properties in unfinished ‘ghost’ housing estates, and certain other properties, are not obliged to pay the fee, which forms part of the deal between the government and the EU-IMF lenders.

79 per cent of registrations for the charge have been made online, where 22 per cent of payments have been made through direct debit.
    The Department of the Environment said it did not consider the number of registrations to be low as of yet, given that the deadline for paying the charge was still over six weeks away.
    “We would expect numbers of registrations to climb sharply as the deadline approaches,” the spokesman said.

The Department is in the process of delivering leaflets to every home in the country advising people of how they can pay the charge.
    This morning SIPTU’s national executive called on the government to suspend the charge, describing it as “unfair and regressive”.

Interesting to see how many will pay-up when the deadline nears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Biggins wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/93-per-cent-of-homes-havent-paid-household-charge-yet-358297-Feb2012/

93 per cent of homes haven’t paid household charge yet

Interesting to see how many will pay-up when the deadline nears!

I wonder at what percentage of people not paying would the govt be forced to scrap it?

At the moment, it looks to me that this charge being scrapped is inevitable.
    / crosses fingers!

• Advertisement

It'll probably get kicked down the road a bit and then in their 4th year in office and with the IMF just gone out the door it'll be scrapped in order to buy the next election!
    Irish politics at its best!

Jaysus, I might not get to my estimated 20% judging by some of the other posters encouraging estimate. :D

More pressure being put on the government, this time from the country's largest trade union
    This baby is going down...........
    SIPTU calls on Govt to suspend 'unfair' Household Charge

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:19 AM

The National Executive Council of SIPTU has called on the Government to suspend the proposed Household Charge on the basis that it is "unfair and regressive".

Figures released earlier this week showed that less then 6% of all homeowners, liable for the charge, had actually registered to pay.

The deadline to sign up and pay the €100 tax is March 31, 2012.

SIPTU argues that, as currently formulated, the proposed Household Charge is playing into the hands of those wealthy interests that have successfully resisted the introduction of a fair property tax in the past.

The group said it supports the introduction of a property tax which is proportionate and which recognises that wealthy households can afford to pay more than those with modest earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

Myself and my husband attended a very informative meeting in Mallow last night organised by the campaign against household and water taxes. What I was really surprised by was out of the 250-300 people in attendence at least 80% were over 50 years of age? Am I'm niave in being surprised by the apathy shown by the younger generation?

Myself and my husband attended a very informative meeting in Mallow last night organised by the campaign against household and water taxes. What I was really surprised by was out of the 250-300 people in attendence at least 80% were over 50 years of age? Am I'm niave in being surprised by the apathy shown by the younger generation?

A lot of the young being renters, they think this tax will never stretch as far as them.
    They will sit on their holes and one day approx two years down the line they will wake up to a bill.
    It is time for them to get involved now and crush this tax.
    I'm in my thirties by the way.
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) writing about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I suppose people over 50 would more than likely own a house by that stage?

Definitely own it in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

D1stant wrote: »
    Simple Question

I will pay it even though it's unfair because I agree with taxing wealth and the tax base should be wide . BUT it should be means tested and relative to the size and location of the property

I am waiting for Ray D'Arcy to make a statement linking this with emmigration

Think you should add a 'Willing to pay but just can't afford it' option on your poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I suppose people over 50 would more than likely own a house by that stage?

Definitely own it in full.

I'd say a lot of the younger demographic are tied up putting kids to bed etc.But don't let the non-attendance at the meetings fool you,they don't want to pay it either.

Good to see the over 50's voicing their opposition,normally they are the ones who pay this kind of charge without question.

I await the fear campaign to start in earnest when these leaflets start arriving through peoples letterboxes.However it seems the majority won't be cowed into paying and will stand fast against the tax.

Those who say the tax is for the greater good are fooling themselves,not one cent of this will be reinvested into local authorities or communities.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Income tax was supposed to be a temporary measure to finance the Napoleonic wars!

The Berlin wall was temporary, taxes are not!

Just hearing on the one o'clock news that mortgage arrears are now approaching 10% of all mortgages, so would be interesting to see just how much this fifure rises by when the full tax is imposed rather than the €100 teaser rate.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of the younger demographic are tied up putting kids to bed etc.But don't let the non-attendance at the meetings fool you,they don't want to pay it either.

Good to see the over 50's voicing their opposition,normally they are the ones who pay this kind of charge without question.

I await the fear campaign to start in earnest when these leaflets start arriving through peoples letterboxes.However it seems the majority won't be cowed into paying and will stand fast against the tax.

Those who say the tax is for the greater good are fooling themselves,not one cent of this will be reinvested into local authorities or communities.

While I haven,t seen the full leaflet,I have seen the cover of it, it looks something like a holiday brochure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement