Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

600 euro isn't all that bad compared to the 1000+ that is being trotted about. Although it will hit some people very hard like students renting away from home.

inefficiencies have to be eraded though. I look at the situation at home where I had to move back to recently where things are dire but that's due to poor household budgeting skills and irrosponsibilty.
    Cutback on the wastage and we'll be grand. Nope, Mug here will be slapped with the extra bills instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

D1stant wrote: »
    I will pay it even though it's unfair because I agree with taxing wealth and the tax base should be wide.

Sorry but what exactly does wealth have to do with it?

If people pay this, then it's a tax that will never go away, and it will broaden to become a property tax based on the value of the house through zoned areas. Meaning it will keep going up.

The fact that I pay a fúcking mortgage to own the house should give me enough rights to live in it without having to pay more to the government!
    Shenshen wrote: »
    How many people do you know who cannot afford 8 quid a month?
    That's all well and good but it's not the case. It's €100 in January. How many people do you know who have €100 to throw away the month after Christmas?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

smash wrote: »
    The fact that I pay a fúcking mortgage to own the house should give me enough rights to live in it without having to pay more to the government!

i think this is more to do with the services provided to your house. Maybe if people understood this they'd be more inclined to accept it as a neccessary fee to maintain and hopefully improve those services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

sparksfly wrote: »
    When I see two retired cops, (they are a married couple both 48 years of age) swanning around on full pension that I am contributing to while mine is f*cked, any further tax on my part is most unwelcome.

You hit the nail on the head there. I know a lazy stupid Guard too, he was never the brightest or the hardest working at school, and he is retired too aged 49 with a big lump sum and a 40k a year pension and a holiday home in the sun, and no worries.

People are just paying people like him if they pay property tax. Wake up everyone.

( just to clarify : not all Guards are lazy and stupid, but its grossly immoral and unfair that in their late forties they are swanning around on full pension that we am contributing to while ours is f*cked )

In an apartheid state, the poor do not transfer their hundred eurs to the better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good letter in the Indo today exposing Hogan for the hypocrite that he is.

Remember folks, it's the rich like Hogan and Kenny who have the nerve to talk about "€2 a week". :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/a-tax-too-far-2965947.html
    On a wet November's morning, two years ago, Phil Hogan refused point blank to take a voluntary cut from his wages, citing personal circumstances.

They want you to pay this extra tax while they give their mates made up jobs paying €120K a year. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ilovesleep wrote: »
    600 euro isn't all that bad compared to the 1000+ that is being trotted about. Although it will hit some people very hard like students renting away from home.

inefficiencies have to be eraded though. I look at the situation at home where I had to move back to recently where things are dire but that's due to poor household budgeting skills and irrosponsibilty.
    Cutback on the wastage and we'll be grand. Nope, Mug here will be slapped with the extra bills instead.
    I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I think the figures the Indo' or someone (for the article) has come up with, are still estimates.
    The more exact real figures as an average per household are still in the laps of the gods and still might further increase/decrease with oncoming years!

I wouldn't yet hold fast to the above figures mentioned - either way up or down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

i think this is more to do with the services provided to your house. Maybe if people understood this they'd be more inclined to accept it as a neccessary fee to maintain and hopefully improve those services

What services though?

Were about to be charged for water, and we dont get our refuse taken away?

Not to forget also, that with a 2% rise in VAT to take effect soon, every person in Ireland will more than likely contribute an extra 100€ during the next year anyway.

Stand up and tell them no, we're being charged on too much as it is.

I would consider (Only consider) paying the household charge if there was some form of guaruntee that it wouldnt go up fo x amount of years, but we already know plans are being implemented on how to charge more for this in the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Sorry but what exactly does wealth have to do with it?

If people pay this, then it's a tax that will never go away, and it will broaden to become a property tax based on the value of the house through zoned areas. Meaning it will keep going up.

The real problem was that during the boom the goverenment were already taxing your house, they were just loading it on at the start through stamp duty. They were pulling in so much money from this that they couldn't spend it fast enough.

Some people complaining about paying €100 a year (or whatever it goes up to), probably handed over many thousands to the goverenment at the time of the purchase.

Stamp duty should have been abolished a decade ago and a property tax introduced instead - there wouldn't have been half the complaints and our tax base would have held up way better.

Like what? Sewage and water?

I paid a hell of a lot of stamp duty, that should cover any costs for a long time. And lets face it, they're forecasting this will bring in €160m which they could easily make by making smokes a tenner a pack instead of just adding 25c

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ghandee wrote: »
    What services though?

Were about to be charged for water, and we dont get our refuse taken away?

Not to forget also, that with a 2% rise in VAT to take effect soon, every person in Ireland will more than likely contribute an extra 100€ during the next year anyway.

Stand up and tell them no, we're being charged on too much as it is.

I would consider (Only consider) paying the household charge if there was some form of guaruntee that it wouldnt go up fo x amount of years, but we already know plans are being implemented on how to charge more for this in the next year.

what defines 'paying enough' we are spending more than we are getting in, so clearly either we are spending too much (cut sw and ps) or increase the governments income... I see that there has been many many attempts to curb spending but the dole brigade have put their foot down, moany pensioners and their families have put their foot down, single monthers put their foot down and the p.s. have things tied up nicely for the forseeable future. no we are not paying enough, we need to be paying alot more or else we are gonna go downhill further

• Advertisement

Before they bring in the household tax, get the government to first refuse to pay any state pensions to anyone under 65 years of age, and then tax all state pensions over 30 grand a year at 100%.

Then we can say we are all in this together.

Come on Mr Hogan and Mr Kenny, show how keen you are to wear the green shirt and all that bollo*. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

questions such as the below in this year's Census, then you've left yourself

liable to charges pertinent to the subject matter of these questions , imho or

course. Never mind the household charge.

I now bitterly regret answering to:

"What type of sewage facility does your accomodation have?"

"What type of piped water supply does your accomodation have?"

This is from the 2006 census - fvck knows what we willingly answered in this year's census : //

Its all coming back to yous now isn't it. What a gullible people us Irish are!!

Not sheep, more like lambs to the abbatoir.

http://www.census.ie/The-Census-Form/Each-question-in-detail.109.1.aspx

(Mod: can this thread and " Ways to avoid paying the €100 Property Tax " be merged, thanks)

what defines 'paying enough' we are spending more than we are getting in

So it's nothing to do with any "services" you mentioned then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I have a pain in my swiss paying tax. Paid, stamp duty of €109,000 in 2006 so I am pissed at this new fcuking tax.
    I'd love to say fcuk off, but will pobably pay it to save hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

No way. It's only going to pay off bank debts. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply deluded.

Yakult wrote: »
    Roughly 2 euro a week.

If you dont pay, you will only end up paying more. Dont be silly.

Believe it or not some people don't have that 2 euro a week, yes things are that bad.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I have a pain in my swiss paying tax. Paid, stamp duty of €109,000 in 2006 so I am pissed at this new fcuking tax.
    I'd love to say fcuk off, but will pobably pay it to save hassle.

That's the spirt. The german bankers say thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

much as i dont want to i'll pay it cause i spent the pre-budget moaning about income tax payers being hit most. Raising of tax needs to be spread across the population and not just the middle class, middle aged, mortgaged, parents. Dare i say it, there are planty of pensioners living mortgage free, buying new cars every January etc that can afford to pay.

Plus i'll always do the opposite of what Clare Daly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

pay the €100 and before you know it will be as high as €1000 , then you will start complaining , by which time it will be too late

because our political system is so corrupt , there is not a lot irish people can do to change it , but this is one small way we can sock it to the gov and SAY NO,enough is enough , Grow a pair of balls , stand up and fight ffs , instead of always just bending over and letting the gov take what they want .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That's all well and good but it's not the case. It's €100 in January. How many people do you know who have €100 to throw away the month after Christmas?

Ask me that again when the masses are trampling each other to death in the January sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ask me that again when the masses are trampling each other to death in the January sale.

Plenty of people will deliberately deny themselves a small luxury (maybe even a necessity) until the January sales though.

So it's nothing to do with any "services" you mentioned then!

Of course it's not to do with services - it might get dressed up this way to make it more palatable for people.

The real reason for the tax is to attempt to reduce the €16 billion gap between what we spend and what we take in, not to mention paying back all those debts the banks ran up.

The real reason for the tax

The real reason for this tax is because it is being imposed on us by the IMF/EU as part of our "reward" for bailing out foreign gamblers.

Make a stand people, don't lie down and take it like a bitch. :mad:

Right, Crazy I'm electing you our campaign manager. I will support in the non payment of tax. I am not a good organizer so will go with you on this. Power to the people.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The real reason for this tax is because it is being imposed on us by the IMF/EU as part of our "reward" for bailing out foreign gamblers.

Make a stand people, don't lie down and take it like a bitch. :mad:

You're great on the 'make a stand' rhetoric - not so strong on the alternative proposals.

You should run for election next time, you'll fit right it.

Of course it's not to do with services - it might get dressed up this way to make it more palatable for people.

The real reason for the tax is to attempt to reduce the €16 billion gap between what we spend and what we take in, not to mention paying back all those debts the banks ran up.

That's pretty obvious, but the cost of living now is fkn unreal in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

hamlet1 wrote: »
    It makes me so angry that the landlord has to pay when there is already a e200 tax on a second house that you might have.:mad:

I take it you are a landlord so by the sounds of it? Well nobody forced you to buy a second house! And if you can afford a second house you should be able to afford all the trappings that come with it.

Wow, you now have a committee, Voodoo and Zebra will assist. We have a movement, or are they just keyboard warriors??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

You're great on the 'make a stand' rhetoric - not so strong on the alternative proposals.

You should run for election next time, you'll fit right it.

Alternative proposals?

Projected income from "household charge" = 160 million.

Increments to public sector from 2008 = 900 million and in 2012 another 300 million..........

I'm not opposed to property tax. I'm opposed to this weak government and it's failure to tackle the real issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

bamboozle wrote: »
    much as i dont want to i'll pay it cause i spent the pre-budget moaning about income tax payers being hit most. Raising of tax needs to be spread across the population and not just the middle class, middle aged, mortgaged, parents. Dare i say it, there are planty of pensioners living mortgage free, buying new cars every January etc that can afford to pay.

Plus i'll always do the opposite of what Clare Daly does.
    "I'll always do the opposite of what Clare Daly does", what a way to live your life! Some genius's on here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement