Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pete M. wrote: »
    OP seems very far away now alright :cool:

And when will the Nos break the 1000 barrier in this poll?

Looking forward to people calling in their wagers come the 31st.
    Should be interesting.

Around 280,000 have paid so far. What's that percentage wise?
    17.5%?

So that requires 32,000 people/day to pay up to deny the No Campaign the magic 1 million figure?

Despite the rather lame attempts here in favour of paying, I'm still not going to pay. This issue has become rather more important than €100.

Shur I spent that on Mothers Day :pac:

Spend the property tax on mothers day every year, and the mother will be delighted with ye. Send her on a world cruise by 2015 id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

alastair wrote: »
    There's a principled stand, you're telling them what's what. Thanks for adding to the pile of revenue waste you're so concerned about.

Believe it or not, I'm not overly averse to paying the HHC per se. I am however opposed to how it is being implemented; and also to the threatening, stonewall stance which the government are taking in order to ensure compliance. Laws may be changed just to see this thing through.. while other tired laws (which actually need fixing) are left in a banjaxed state, seemingly ignored by those who see this charge as being of the utmost importance to the nation.

And for what, a measly €160 million. It's worth pissing off a huge proportion of the population for what is realistically but a drop in the ocean in comparison to the money we are handing away to mostly unknown, faceless individuals? Some fcuking republic we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Around 280,000 have paid so far. What's that percentage wise?
    17.5%?
    300,000 as of earlier today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

OK - I've just been kicked off a hip-hop thread. Can you believe that? :mad:

Sooooo...wassescore here?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If you own a house or you are renting everyone should pay or no one should pay. Enough of the exemptions. Your using the same services this tax is supposed to be paying so why should anyone be exempt.

They say it's for servises provided by councils. But the council refuses to look after the estate I live in because the builder didn't finish everything that was in the plans. Nobody cuts the grass. We had to pay to repair the public water mains ourselves. Sewage system had a prob just before Xmas and we had to pay to have it repaired. Broken street lights are not been repaired. Common area Walls are not painted. Builders compound is wide open and not safe for kids. Why should we pay for services that we don't recieve.

• Advertisement

I hope it wasnt for punctuation, if it was, we have our own nazi in here, and you could be gone in his final analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

dvpower wrote: »
    300,000 as of earlier today.

Wow!

We really are following it closely aren't we?

And I said 'around' anyway :P

It still isn't as many as you would like to have paid by now is it?

What is it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wow!

We really are following it closely aren't we?
    :confused: It was on the news :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Biggins wrote: »
    Aaa... I see. Its made up comedy.
    Well fair play (again), your making me smile!
    Keep up the comedy as you are. :D

Nothing made up, or comedic about it.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whataboutery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I hope it wasnt for punctuation, if it was, we have our own nazi in here, and you could be gone in his final analysis.

I'm still waiting on him giving you a proper answer to the questions you've repeatedly asked him earlier in the thread.

A few of the yes campaigners have an uncanny knack of selective replying to people on here.
    Especially when bs has been called on their babbling......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Five sixth's to one sixth!

Nothing made up, or comedic about it.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whataboutery

I could be pedantic (thats in a dictionary!) and say all words are made up...
    ...But in the meanwhile I'll wait till its in a decent modern day dictionary!

Keep rocking! :D

No. It was for deviation not punctuation.

Who's not punctuating perfectly? (I've had a few Jagerbombs so if I get a bit out-of-line......currently at a secret location in....eh...I think it's Dublin

Ghandee wrote: »

A few of the no campaigners have an uncanny knack of selective replying to people on here.

I agree 100%. Glad you're coming around.

I'm still waiting on him giving you a proper answer to the questions you've repeatedly asked him earlier in the thread.
    I know. Its looking futile.

I know. Its looking futile.

I keep telling you the same thing - I'd agree it's futile at this stage.

No. It was for deviation not punctuation.

Who's not punctuating perfectly? (I've had a few Jagerbombs so if I get a bit out-of-line......currently at a secret location in....eh...I think it's Dublin

A you`l be grand here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

whataboutery:Protesting at hypocrisy; responding to criticism by accusing one's opponent of similar or worse faults.

So, what we are saying here is that "whataboutery" is not only reasonable reaction but a vital component of any moral or justice system.

Why does headtheball have a problem with it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pffh I make fart noises with my mouth..... Pffh

Yes, an owner of property of equity -€100k has wealth. You seem to have made that clear alright.

Where to?

• Advertisement

Yes, an owner of property of equity -€100k has wealth. You seem to have made that clear alright.

Cheers. Glad to help.

Where to?

The 'yes' camp.

A few of the no campaigners have an uncanny knack of selective replying to people on here.

I think you know what he meant, but it must be near time for your homework now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

And what about the USC (income levy plus health levy) , PRSI, Income tax, car tax, plus tax on food, petrol, diesel, electricity, gas ....

Add them to your 100 euro and see how much taxes you actually pay ??

And what are these taxes for ?

Plus that 100euro will be far more than 100euro next year

and the other taxes constantly rise.....

The 'yes' camp.

I'll give you that one!

Using my phone, predictive text etc etc :o

The quality of the discourse here is seriously crap G'nite

I'm against it, the tax

Cheers. Glad to help.

Thats ok.

So you have indeed confirmed your claim that an equity of -€100,000 (minus €100k) = wealth, which you have confirmed in this post im quoting.

I'll give you that one!

Using my phone, predictive text etc etc :o

The phone is predicting your a turncoat, bloody phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Wild Bill wrote: »
    donalg1 wrote: »
    Ha ha laughing my ass off here, good god, do you really think I would listen to the ramblings of a crazy person?

Your loony view of the world is absolutely mental, funny but fricking crazy.

"Some tuition from you" gets crazier by the post, cant believe you think you are tutoring anyone in the ways of the world, unbelievable, great entertainment but unbelievable all the same.

Ireland is a democracy because the people can vote for who they would like to see sitting in the Dail simple as that.

You have given me a great idea though come the next election I will run myself as an independent and promise everyone everything, I will promise to borrow a trillion euro from Europe then turn around and tell them to bugger off that they will never see another cent from Ireland and we can all live like kings off the trillion euro. Everybody gets everything they want, no taxes for anyone, everyone paid a million quid a year. Sure I will definitely get elected, get a nice salary for myself good pension, and then I can crack on with doing nothing but what Europe tells me to do.

I never realised there were so many gullible people in this country that would vote for me based on my election promises no matter how absurd they are. And sure what will happen when I dont deliver on these promises, few people on an Internet forum saying I am an illegitimate Taoiseach, whoopdy doo. A small little protest here and there about how I am treating everyone unfairly, wow who cares I wont sure I will be gone off with my pension and name in the history book as a one time democratically elected Taoiseach of this country

Ignoring the personal abuse I will merely point out that you stated it was time I realised that we "are ruled by Europe".

If that is the case then Ireland is not a democracy.

The USA (may be) a democracy; but Illinois is not. To be a democracy a country must be sovereign.

Carlow Town Council is elected by democratic means; that doesn't mean that "Carlow Town is a Democracy"

I realize you are probably feeling a bit frustrated at finding yourself out of your intellectual comfort zone - perhaps out of your depth (a situation you won't improve by reading the posts or your "allies" here) - but I would ask that you tone down the personal abuse directed at myself.

Thanking you in anticipation. :cool:

Anything I said was meant in a good way not abusive or anything like that I was merely saying you are giving me great entertainment. Well when you are not being so patronising that is. Must be great to believe you are smarter and the intellectual superior if everyone else!!!

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

You really fail to understand my point that the government were elected democratically instead you just pretend to be too intelligent for conversation,

I'd ignore you but I enjoy the laughs too much. Just won't reply anymore instead just read your replies and marvel at the nonsensical superiority complex you are intent on displaying. Absolutely cracking me up Bill and I mean that in the best possible way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beubeu

Mr CJ wrote: »
    They have some nerve asking us to pay tax on something some people dont even own!!

You owe a house regardless of the value. Its a house that your kids will inherit. A house is an asset and it usually taxes in most countries.

I don't owe a house (but I will soon). I do understand the worries from those who struggles with mortgages but technically speaking this tax makes sense.

Even if I am not Irish I follow Irish news and political debates and this was not a surprise at all as FG announced it before the election.

This tax is not antidemocratic at all (democracy is a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. nothing here about asking a gvt to forget about a tax because some people protests on the street), but I do understand why you dont want it ( I dont want to pay taxes too :) )

Hopefully it will stay at 100 eur a year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement