Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/3500-jailed-for-not-paying-fines-2042095.html

Again, good luck to them. 100,000+ people stand to be sent to jail.. but yeah, that's totally workable!

You honestly think there's 100,000 people prepared to go to jail because they don't want to pay a tax? Riiight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    Waivers

What are the waivers from payment of the household charge?

The waivers from payment of the household charge are as follows:
    • Owners of residential property entitled to mortgage interest supplement
    • Owners of residential property located in certain prescribed unfinished housing estates (see Unfinished Housing Estates section for more detail)

Persons claiming entitlement to a waiver are required to register their property.

Please note that all waiver claims will be validated. Persons who make false or misleading declarations in making a claim for a waiver will be liable to penalties under the legislation.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx

The govt know which estate's are exempt from it, its on the website.

Why then do they still want your dertails i wonder :rolleyes:

Do you register 'not owning a car'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You honestly think there's 100,000 people prepared to go to jail because they don't want to pay a tax? Riiight.

Do you honestly think the Govt could put 100,00 people in jail for not paying a tax?

Christs sake man, wake up.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Its just like when you don't own a car, motor tax dept still want you to register for not having one!

Nope it's like if you tax a car and then seek an off-the-road exemption for it, you need to register it as off the road. But don't let a bit of logical analogy get in the way of good old hysteria.

Do you honestly think the Govt could put 100,00 people in jail for not paying a tax?

Christs sake man, wake up.

They won't need to - there aren't 100,00 candidates for the opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well judging from how many people oppose the HHC at present I think that's a conservative estimate. They may not all be prepared to go to jail, but a huge amount will be prepared to fight it all the way to court. Either way it's going to cost the exchequer more than they stand to bring in.

Do you register 'not owning a car'?

See above - you do if you own one and seek a tax exemption.

Not owning a car = not owning a house - no registration required
    Owning a car off the road = owning a house with a waiver - registration required
    Owning a car on the road = owning a house without a waiver - registration required

Well judging from how many people oppose the HHC at present I think that's a conservative estimate. They may not all be prepared to go to jail, but a huge amount will be prepared to fight it all the way to court. Either way it's going to cost the exchequer more than they stand to bring in.

You're fooling yourself mate. And the fines are there to support enforcement, if they're needed - I wouldn't rely on cost as a bulwark - they've already factored for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You're fooling yourself mate. And the fines are there to support enforcement, if they're needed - I wouldn't rely on cost as a bulwark - they've already factored for that.

Well, time will tell. I'm happy enough to sit it out until at least the real threat of being convicted for non-compliance looms over me.

Well, time will tell. I'm happy enough to sit it out until at least the real threat of being convicted for non-compliance looms over me.

There's a principled stand, you're telling them what's what. Thanks for adding to the pile of revenue waste you're so concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,661 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If he actually believed that the deadline had some sort of critical meaning.
    Late payers are an equally useful source of revenue.

kcartkcab --- I knew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Like they factored for those wishing to pay at post offices from the off.

Like they factored for efficient leaflet distribution.

More X factor than Krypton factor these lads.
    If he actually believed that the deadline had some sort of critical meaning.
    Late payers are an equally useful source of revenue.

Puuuuuuuuuuuuush the boat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,661 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I slept soundly, knowing that I'm paid up for the year.

The missus said I was chuckling in my sleep. I obviously knew you paid.

mikom wrote: »
    Like they factored for those wishing to pay at post offices from the off.

Like they factored for efficient leaflet distribution.

More X factor than Krypton factor these lads.

Nonetheless - we're all aware of what fines are applicable for those who play akward to the end - you saying they haven't been factored in, because it sure looks like it to me?

She said nothing to me. Must have been later.

Interesting thoughts....
    Upon this 21st day of March , the Irish nation finds itself just ten days away from the cut off date of being able to self register for what the Government calls the Household Charge, and what the majority of the population calls the Household Tax.

The latest figures show that just 15 per cent, that is, 251, 458 from a estimated 1.6 million homeowners, have currently registered. At this current juncture, that will mean the Government require the remaining 1,348,542 homeowners to register at an average of 134,854 a day!
    Now, The Minister for the Environment, Phil Hogan T.D. who is responsible for the management and implementation of this Tax, is making strong assertions that the money will be collected, whether people register or not, and penalties will be incurred by late payers, and dissenters, and he proposes to do this by amending the 2010 Fines Act. This act was brought into being as an alternative to sending people to prison upon their default of fine payment.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2010/en.act.2010.0008.PDF

Now this approach raises a question, as there is a statutory requirement upon courts to ascertain whether the individual has the ability to pay the imposed fine in the first place. It appears that Phil Hogan, has the intention to collect these monies, on the premise of ‘Wont Pay’ as opposed to ‘Cant Pay‘. And many have expressed that they are prepared to ‘do time’ as their way of acknowledgement of breaching the law, surely an honourable thing to do, when the ability to pay seems beyond their means.

He also plans to amend the Data Protection Act to gather information on non paying homeowners, from Utility companies. . He may well have a problem with this if I read Section 6 correctly,
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/A_guide_to_your_rights_-_Plain_English_Version/858.htm
    it reads:
    “You can also ask a data controller not to use your personal details for purposes other than their main purpose – for example for marketing.”
    Now, the Minister may well intend to plough ahead with this amendment, but by doing so,does he place the consumer in a position of litigator against the very Utility company being used, for breach of an existing contract? That is, the contract entered into, is being altered without the express permission of the signee…..therefore a breach of contract…?

Ok, now it is accepted that many people will flat out refuse to pay this tax, and that they are doing so, with the clear realisation that they will face some kind of fight down the road, and that is their right to do so.
    However, there are many more, who at this stage, regardless of intention, have yet to completely make up their mind on the issue. They have correctly tried to examine both sides of the discussion, in order to make an informed decision. Alas, due to the extraordinary incompetence of the Government, and in particular Minister Hogan, many,many homeowners are still waiting to receive the information leaflet through their letter box.
    For those without access to the internet, and other electronic media, this leaflet is fundamental to any informed decision making process.
    Not only that, but if these people were considering the direct debit option, on the basis that they simple could not afford a once off payment of 100 euro, and preferred the 4 x 25 euro installment option, then they have clearly been placed in the ‘Cant Pay’ as opposed to ‘Wont Pay’ category, due to non receipt of the information leaflet before the direct debit cut off date of Feb 29th 2012.

And so, it is conceivable, that through the negligence, of the Government, and Minister Hogan, in particular, that many people may actually be found guilty of tax avoidance, a criminal offence, due to Government incomeptence.

I wonder if Minister Hogan has considered amending legislation to cover this?

And if Minister Hogan, does not achieve even a 50% sign up rate, that is 800 000 homeowners, which in any language has to be a clear failure of his brief, will he do the honourable thing and resign his position?
    No, perish the thought!

http://reclaimthevoice.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/hogans-household-tax/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Many, many martyrs.
    Riots.
    Who knows what else? :)

It's what happens when an illegitimate Quisling Regime working for the Germans tries to steal money from the citizens to pay for German banks' gambling debts.

Wow this gets more extremist by the minute, rioting now as well as martyrs what next!! Maybe we should all go around and wreck all existing local services sure that would definitely show them.

Nonetheless - we're all aware of what fines are applicable for those who play akward to the end - you saying they haven't been factored in, because it sure looks like it to me?

There will be nobody paying fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The guy in charge of collection was saying that, if they brought people to court, they would be seeking costs.
    So it might prove to be an expensive strategy to play it to the wire.

There will be nobody paying fines.

There will be bucketloads paying the extra tenner - yourself included, if you're a homeowner. Beyond that - who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Going by the rampant Conspiracy Theorists on this thread I'd say it was 'Were the Moon Landings Faked :rolleyes:

Conspiracies are hidden things. The illegitimate Quisling Regime it operating and threatening it's citizens with violence at the behest of their German masters quite openly.

No conspiracy; just the naked destruction of Irish democracy and the Irish economy.
    :mad:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    The illegitimate Quisling Regime it operating and threatening it's citizens with violence at the behest of their German masters quite openly.

*backs away slowly*

dvpower wrote: »
    *backs away slowly*

Just stick him on ignore. It's kinder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

seamus wrote: »
    Do you withhold your PAYE until revenue come calling for it?

And how, exactly, would one do that? :rolleyes:

It's not a service charge, it's a law. Notice is not required, it's your obligation to comply with it.

It's a "law" perpetrated by an illegitimate Regime with no democratic mandate.

We have a moral duty to fight it.

The guy in charge of collection was saying that, if they brought people to court, they would be seeking costs.
    So it might prove to be an expensive strategy to play it to the wire.

Whooooooo whooooooooooooooo.
    Boo!!!
    There will be bucketloads paying the extra tenner - yourself included, if you're a homeowner. Beyond that - who knows?

How will this scary "extra tenner" be extracted................ Osmosis perhaps.

Boo!!!
    mikom has passed over to the other side. R.I.P.

Boo!!!

How will this scary "extra tenner" be extracted................ Osmosis perhaps.

Fair enough - you can always forego the extra tenner and opt for the court route - it works just like the TV licence - gets a bit pricey though. I'm predicting you wise up ahead of that point though - you seem like a sensible fellow.

Just stick him on ignore. It's kinder.
    No way. Since Paddyandy left us, he's the most entertaining poster here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Either that or the clinical insanity.

• Advertisement

No way. Since Paddyandy left us, he's the most entertaining poster here.

I don't like to laugh at other's misfortune. Couldn't do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement