Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The phone is predicting your a turncoat, bloody phones.

Lol, i hope your joking Robbie !
    Even if i ever do become liable (doubtful due to incompetent builder) Id gladly do jail before paying an unjust tax.

There are hundreds of Thousands like me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The quality of the discourse here is seriously crap G'nite

I'm against it, the tax

We have an ironic post of the day winner folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ghandee wrote: »
    Lol, i hope your joking Robbed!
    Indeed i am, i know them phones and their predictive text at times.

Look, it says i`ve been robbed now:D
    Even if i ever do become liable (doubtful due to incompetent builder) Id gladly do jail before paying an unjust tax.

There are quite a few. There are many that paid it too, through fear of €2500 penalties, but have the same view.

Sexist, shinner-apologist tax-dodgers?

Let's hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Beubeu wrote: »
    You owe a house regardless of the value. Its a house that your kids will inherit. A house is an asset and it usually taxes in most countries.

I don't owe a house (but I will soon). I do understand the worries from those who struggles with mortgages but technically speaking this tax makes sense.

Even if I am not Irish I follow Irish news and political debates and this was not a surprise at all as FG announced it before the election.

This tax is not antidemocratic at all (democracy is a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. nothing here about asking a gvt to forget about a tax because some people protests on the street), but I do understand why you dont want it ( I dont want to pay taxes too :) )

Hopefully it will stay at 100 eur a year

The problem is not the €100, if they came out and said for the next 10 years there is going to be a €100 charge per household and we guranteed that fixed amount then the majority of people would have no qualms paying, it is only €100 this year so as to get as many people to register as possible so next year they have all the details they need in place to charge €500 and then the year after €1000 and then the year after that €2000, it would be foolish to think differently.

The other point would be bang for buck, what exactly are we going to be getting for this household charge? better pavements? cleaner and safer streets? better lighting, better youth facilities? i would say not.

Seeing as we cannot even build a national modern and well equipped childrens hospital in this year 2012 because of monumental mistakes by past and present governments then why should we trust yet another tax levy to actually serve a purpose in local areas and to serve local people when we all know this is to pay for a hole that was dug by reckless people.

• Advertisement

Let's hope not.

You of course, are the high altitude jockey, living the saintly life within an internet forum.

Let's hope not.

Got that link for me yet?

Course not, you join dxhound now on my list of crap talkers, who refuse to back anything up.

That is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

donalg1 wrote: »
    Anything I said was meant in a good way not abusive or anything like that I was merely saying you are giving me great entertainment. Well when you are not being so patronising that is. Must be great to believe you are smarter and the intellectual superior if everyone else!!!

It is.
    Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

How the heck would I know :confused:

(No hard feelings - respect ;))

You of course, are the high altitude jockey,

I'm not an airline pilot, no.

I'm not an airline pilot, no.

You havent the link yet either?

• Advertisement

You havent the link yet either?

Well we both know nobody's been successfully prosecuted for the robbery, just as we both know who was behind it.

Kinda like the way we all know who's to blame for the economic mis- management of the country in the absence of prosecutions.

We've seen what they'll do if given free range of a stationary cupboard - probably best we keep them away from anything more valuable - eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Pete M. wrote: »
    So that requires 32,000 people/day to pay up to deny the No Campaign the magic 1 million figure?

Despite the rather lame attempts here in favour of paying, I'm still not going to pay. This issue has become rather more important than €100.

Shur I spent that on Mothers Day :pac:

Is it not 72,000 people/day to reach the 1 million?

For 100% compliance on average there must be 132,000 registrations/day or 5,500/hr (being fair to say 24hrs) up to march 31st haha good luck!!
    Can you honestly see this happen?

We've seen what they'll do if given free range of a stationary cupboard - probably best we keep them away from anything more valuable - eh?

You will have to be responsible for your own kids there.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hey folks!

The "no" vote is up to 43.31% - it's a full 0.1% on earlier today.

This is exciting! :D

Where is this? have you a link?

Its ok, Your talking about the poll above thought it was another one....

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Where is this? have you a link?

Its just the vote on this thread, at the top of the page he was talking about.

I think its actually 41% or so at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

The process for paying is an absolute joke...whatever about tech savvy people, there are 100s of thousands of elderly people out there very confused by the whole thing....you upset the grey vote, and you pay at the ballot box next election....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

dvpower wrote: »
    What information are you looking for and what efforts have you made to look it up yourself?

I can't be expected to act as a researcher for someone who isn't making the smallest bit of effort.

I didn't ask you to act as my researcher, I asked for a link to support your claims. You expect others to back up their posts...!
    Source?
    Link?
    I think its up to you to prove it.
    Link for this outrageous claim?
    I'm asking you. You made the claim.

Don't bother responding, you talk out of both sides of your hole anyway.

Well we both know nobody's been successfully prosecuted for the robbery, just as we both know who was behind it.

Speak for yourself, maybe you should go up and consult with the PSNI? I certainly don't knoiw whom was, or was not behind it?
    Kinda like the way we all know who's to blame for the economic mis- management of the country in the absence of prosecutions.

We know who is behind it today, carrying on in FF's failed footsteps, I'll grant you that one, good man we're singing from the same hymn sheet now, bravo.[/QUOTE]

Go to bed now son, seriously:rolleyes:

Its just the vote on this thread, at the top of the page he was talking about.

I think its actually 41% or so at the moment.

Yeah when I seen 43% I thought it was another one you were talking about. Its going up every day, if you go back a few posts I left a list of links to about 10 other polls with very similar results. Proving the major lack of compliance for this ripoff charge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

We have an ironic post of the day winner folks.

Hey! I love that guy ;)

I've just eaten frozen raspberries 2 months out of date that were melted and refrozen around Christmas? Any predictions? Should I be booking the plot?

F** those Jagerbombs

• Advertisement

Hey! I love that guy ;)

A he`s not the worst, he just wont associate with any of us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Speak for yourself, maybe you should go up and consult with the PSNI? I certainly don't knoiw whom was, or was not behind it?

Happy to help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4154657.stm

Sexist,

Indeed, terrible what Hogan said.....
    Environment Minister Phil Hogan has apologised for remarks he made to a former Fine Gael secretary at a golf outing.

Mr Hogan wrote to Anne O’Connell saying he "unreservedly" apologised for the remarks, which he acknowledged as being "totally inappropriate".

The incident happened at an Oireachtas golf society outing in Connemara on Aug 24.

Ms O’Connell told the Sunday Independent that she and her partner of 26 years, Mairtin MacCormaic, had encountered the minister when entering the clubhouse.

After exchanging greetings, Ms O’Connell, who is understood to own a number of buy-to-let properties, expressed the hope that the minister would not "screw" property owners in legislation that was imminent.

"He replied in a loud voice: ‘I have no problem screwing you. Hasn’t Mairtin been screwing you for years?’ Then he turned his back on me and said: ‘Business tomorrow,’ " Ms O’Connell, 70, said of the incident.

She said she was "completely traumatised" by Mr Hogan’s remarks, which she described as "demeaning, insulting and degrading".

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/hogan-sorry-for-inappropriate-comments-187553.html#ixzz1pmwvsbVe

tax-dodgers?

Let's hope not.

Lets hope not is right :eek:
    Investigation by Moriarty Tribunal

The investigation of payments to Lowry is one of the remits of the Moriarty Tribunal which sat from 1997 to 2011. In early 2007, Lowry announced that he had made a full and final settlement of all outstanding payments with the Revenue Commissioners in response to the findings concerning his tax evasion. His company Garuda had to pay up €1.2 million after a Revenue audit. He also paid almost €200,000 to settle his personal taxes.[6]

In March 2011 the second and final report from the Moriarty Tribunal found that, during his time as Communications Minister, Michael Lowry assisted businessman Denis O'Brien's consortium Esat Digiphone in acquiring a lucrative mobile phone licence in the mid-90s which ultimately made O'Brien one of the richest men in Ireland.[7]

It concluded that it is 'beyond doubt' that Lowry gave what it termed 'substantive information to Denis O'Brien, of significant value and assistance to him in securing the licence'.[7] The Tribunal report found that Lowry, displayed 'an appreciable interest' in the process and had 'irregular interactions with interested parties at its most sensitive stages'.[7] It also found that one of Lowry's interventions, which cut the selection process to the advantage of Esat, was 'disgraceful' and 'insidious', and that he had misled the Government, his party leader John Bruton and his own civil servants to influence the selection process in Esat's favour.[8]

The tribunal also found that Lowry sought to procure unwarranted rent increases that over a seven-year period would have benefited businessman Ben Dunne. Lowry sought to influence the outcome of an arbitration being conducted in 1995 in relation to the rent payable by the then state-owned Telecom Éireann for Marlborough House to a company owned and controlled by Dunne. The report said that the matter was 'profoundly corrupt to a degree that was nothing short of breathtaking'.[7]

The report also summarised the cumulative payments made to Lowry and says 'In aggregating the known payments from Mr Denis O'Brien to Mr Michael Lowry, it is apposite to note that, between the granting of the second GSM licence to Esat Digiphone in May 1996, and the transmission of £420,000 sterling to complete the purchase of the latter of Mr Lowry's English properties in December 1999, Mr O'Brien had made or facilitated payments to Mr Lowry of £147,000 sterling, £300,000 sterling and a benefit equivalent to a payment in the form of Mr O'Brien's support for a loan of £420,000 sterling.'[7]

Lowry had addressed the Dáil saying that if he had been trying to hide a lot of money he would have “put it in an offshore account”, implying that no such account existed. The Tribunal found that he actually had at least four such accounts that he used for the purpose of evading tax and had not disclosed these accounts to the previous McCracken Tribuna

Keep digging Francie, keep digging lad.

alastair wrote: »

Thats your 'back up'?

I cannot see anywhere, where anyone has been convicted, or proved of anything on that news article.

Jesus :pac:

Hey! I love that guy ;)

I've just eaten frozen raspberries 2 months out of date that were melted and refrozen around Christmas? Any predictions? Should I be booking the plot?

F** those Jagerbombs

Well id get my tax affairs in order, just in case you go to heaven having not paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Slick50 wrote: »

Don't bother responding, you talk out of both sides of your hole anyway.
    You mean it's over between us? Just like that?:mad:

Indeed, terrible what Hogan said.....

Lets hope not is right :eek:

Keep digging Francie, keep digging lad.

Looks like your in good company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

We know who is behind it today, carrying on in FF's failed footsteps, I'll grant you that one, good man we're singing from the same hymn sheet now, bravo.

Go to bed now son, seriously:rolleyes:[/Quote]

You must be in bed if you are dreaming about trying to convince anyone bout that robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Thats your 'back up'?

I cannot see anywhere, where anyone has been convicted, or proved of anything on that news article.

Jesus :pac:

You wanted to ask the PSNI? It's quite clear who they attributed the responsibility to. You don't like the answer?

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    You wanted to ask the PSNI?

I did?

Where?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement