Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Biggins wrote: »
    End of story.

Not really. It just means a few more fines will come attached to the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

alastair wrote: »
    You were signing on?
    What was the relevance of that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

€10 Euro I believe for the first six months?
    I don't think my bank managers are just worried yet about my ability to afford that!

€10 Euro I believe for the first six months?
    I don't think my bank managers are just worried yet about my ability to afford that!

I don't think so either, but it'll help recoup the postage costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

By any terms, to low a percentage actually refusing to register, four out of five(?) means its a 'balls-up' by the state.
    End of story.

What's the evidence that the people who haven't yet registered are refusing to register? The only national poll on the issue shows a majority saying they will pay.

Little bit early to predict the end of this story tbh.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    What's the evidence that the people who haven't yet registered are refusing to register? The only national poll on the issue shows a majority saying they will pay.

I'm with the no to the household charge campaign. I'd say at a national level there's a good 2,000 determined not to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think the bottom line is that people are not worried about a €10 fine over the course of 6 months so they will just not pay the charge, or even register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm with the no to the household charge campaign. I'd say at a national level there's a good 2,000 determined not to pay.

Boy will I have fun quoting this on April fools day!

:pac:

You guys are funny. :D
    Seriously!
    Especially you alastair, you make me smile!
    Fair play! :D:D:D

Ghandee wrote: »
    Boy will I have fun quoting this on April fools day!

What's April going to bring to the table?

Maybe you didn't quite get my point? The numbers who register on time aren't particularly important. People will pay up in the final analysis.

Don't register, pay later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

♫ Mr. Crowley, what went down in your head ♫

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Ehh no - sorry to burst your bubble. If you can't grasp the distinction between free elections and single party states, then I can't help much. You are free to vote for whomever you choose here - that's an actual franchise.

Nope. Many were not single party states. In some you could vote for whoever you wanted, like modern Russia, but you got the same policies regardless.

De facto - no difference - even down to the State Television controlled by the ruling Regime.

Elections where people vote overwhelming to reject a policy and get it back regardless (Ireland 2011) are not democratic elections, (as you've already conceded).

Stop back-sliding. :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nope. Many were not single party states. In some you could vote for whoever you wanted, like modern Russia, but you got the same policies regardless.

De facto - no difference - even down to the State Television controlled by the ruling Regime.

Elections where people vote overwhelming to reject a policy and get it back regardless (Ireland 2011) are not democratic elections, (as you've already conceded).

Stop back-sliding. :cool:

In none could you vote for who you liked - you could vote for who the party liked - which was no choice at all. No-one restricts any candidate with any policy platform from running for election here. Stop talking rot. I've conceded nothing - we live in a republic, not a democracy, and we employ a democratic electoral system - unlike the soviet bloc states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No, I'm standing over the right of the majority to be wrong. Not my right to be wrong.

All laws are ultimately enforced by the threat of violence; the average 7 year old can join the dots on that. :rolleyes:

This Regime is illegitimate because it ignored the mandate it was elected on and adopted policies which were utterly rejected by the electorate.

That is why Ireland is no longer a democratic state.

FFS are you really trying to say Ireland is not a democracy because the Government wont do what you want it to do. Are you actually naive enough to believe that at the time of the last election that any party would be any different to FF?

It was plainly obvious whoever was elected would not have any real power in Irelands financial matters as we are no longer a sovereign nation and are now ruled by the EU/IMF lads, jaysus even a five year old knew that during the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's called a household charge, but it's only applied to homeowners, so that pretty much makes it an unambiguous property tax.

The key there is the first five words. What are all households not charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    so 160,000 households, many of which would have incomes, many of which are provided for free out of taxes, even the ones that don't have incomes are able to manage on social welfare.....but all of which will benefit from the local services for free....if you think this is fair then maybe you should go into politics...or maybe you already have?..

Given that there are 300,000 PS workers, and only 260,000 have registered for the charge, it makes for interesting times ahead.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The key there is the first five words. What are all households not charged?

Because it's applied to property owners. Just like motor tax is applied to motor car owners.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Given that there are 300,000 PS workers, and only 260,000 have registered for the charge, it makes for interesting times ahead.

Why would you say that? There's no distinct penalties for any particular workforce.

Because it's applied to property owners. Just like motor tax is applied to motor car owners.

...And all other motorised vehicles over a certain horse power - just for the record. :)

Why would you say that? There's no distinct penalties for any particular workforce.

I don't think he was implying that - but nice try.

If any of their own state civil workers won't pay it, it certainly further indicates something!

...And all other motorised vehicles over a certain horse power - just for the record. :)

Not quite - get yourself a road roller. Tax exempt.

• Advertisement

Not quite - get yourself a road roller. Tax exempt.

Cool, every household should have one! :D

If any of their own state civil workers won't pay it, it certainly further indicates something!

That there's no real difference in the tardiness of public and private sector homeowners?

That there's no real difference in the tardiness between public and private sector homeowners?

That they consider the forms useful for making paper aeroplanes! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

In none could you vote for who you liked - you could vote for who the party liked - which was no choice at all. No-one restricts any candidate with any policy platform from running for election here. Stop talking rot. I've conceded nothing - we live in a republic, not a democracy, and we employ a democratic electoral system - unlike the soviet bloc states.

OK - so you are definitely saying "this isn't a democracy" :rolleyes: (make up your mind)

But we have a democratic electoral system in a non-democracy? :confused:

In which you can vote for whoever you like but you get the same policies.

And that's different from a "Democratic Republic"; where you can't change policies either, and for the same reason - :cool:

:pac::pac::pac:

OK - so you are definitely saying "this isn't a democracy" :rolleyes: (make up your mind)

But we have a democratic electoral system in a non-democracy? :confused:

In which you can vote for whoever you like but you get the same policies.

And that's different from a "Democratic Republic"; where you can't change policies either, and for the same reason - :cool:

:pac::pac::pac:

Our state is not a democracy - it's a republic.

We employ a democratic electoral system.

We do not restrict or veto who may run in that system. No-one limits the policy platform of any candidate.

If you need any more pointers, might I suggest the politics forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Topic being discussed now on Matt Cooper on Today FM.

http://media.todayfm.com/live_stream/popup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has said that those who break the law one day should not expect protection from it the next.

Minister Varadkar insisted there are no plans to extend the deadline despite calls from Fianna Fáil to do so, and he said householders have a responsibility to respect the law.

"People have the right to object to something if they don't agree with it," he said.

"But people also do have a responsibility to obey the law - and you can't break the law one day and then expect the law to be able to protect you the next day.

Paidraig Nally was unavailable for comment as he was guarding his house from his lookout post in the shed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has said that those who break the law one day should not expect protection from it the next."

Threats like that don't cut it. He should be thrown out. Smarmy fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I understand that they might eventually get the €100 out of everyone, but just how exactly are they going to get the fines? If you haven't received a request to pay, then how can you be penalised 1c for not paying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You'd be doing yourself a big favour if you got over this sort of ****e.

I, for one, have never voted for FG. I didn't vote for the last lot either. Some of us just don't share your position - learn to accept the fact.

And you speaking from a position of authority and knowledge regarding every pro poster. Kettle and pot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement