Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Just pay it and stop moaning ffs. €1.92 a week I mean if you can't pay that then there's something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I understand that they might eventually get the €100 out of everyone, but just how exactly are they going to get the fines? If you haven't received a request to pay, then how can you be penalised 1c for not paying it?

They will eventually start posting out demands, complete with whatever fine attached, and pleading ignorance of the requirement to register/pay in the first place wouldn't be a valid legal defence. They don't want the bother if they can avoid it, but they will bother if they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The key there is the first five words. What are all households not charged?

Hoh ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just pay it and stop moaning ffs. €1.92 a week I mean if you can't pay that then there's something wrong.

Can I PM you in three years time?

And you speaking from a position of authority and knowledge regarding every pro poster. Kettle and pot.

Eh no. I'm not accusing anyone of being a shill for anyone or anything but their own beliefs. Get the distinction?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DUH !! Do you actually believe what you wrote ?
    Come back in two years and tell us how much you are then paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Not quite - I've consistently stated it doesn't matter what the figures are by registration deadline. Check if you like.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

pleading ignorance of the requirement to register/pay in the first place wouldn't be a valid legal defence.
    Really? How come every other government department and company that seeks payment from me for a service provided has to communicate with me first? Why don't they all just fine me at will? It'd be more profit for them.

mikom wrote: »
    Can I PM you in three years time?

Yes you can. It will probably be €5 a week then, one pint a week, yep you sure can PM me. Don't still be moaning now, emigrate if you have to. (and pay property tax over there, LOL)

charlemont wrote: »

Yes, €5 a week, one pint. I will come back in two years, still happily living. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

They will eventually start posting out demands, complete with whatever fine attached, and pleading ignorance of the requirement to register/pay in the first place wouldn't be a valid legal defence. They don't want the bother if they can avoid it, but they will bother if they have to.

Big Swinging Mickey, Some of us just ain't going to pay. Our government can't be trusted with the money anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really? How come every other government department and company that seeks payment from me for a service provided has to communicate with me first?
    No they don't. If you don't pay your TV licence or motor tax you will be fined. It is not a defence to say that you never received any communication on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

In two years time there wont be any such thing as a household charge. It will have been replaced by the Property Tax by then, so there would be no point in them coming back in two years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't still be moaning now, emigrate if you have to. (and pay property tax over there, LOL)

Well done
    Shades of Bertie.

"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"

Really? How come every other government department and company that seeks payment from me for a service provided has to communicate with me first? Why don't they all just fine me at will? It'd be more profit for them.

They do? I pay PAYE and PRSI on a regular basis without any communication to do so. They don't fine you at will because you've not broken a law - break a law and risk the penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Yes you can. It will probably be €5 a week then, one pint a week, yep you sure can PM me. Don't still be moaning now, emigrate if you have to. (and pay property tax over there, LOL)

The old "its only x number of pints" argument. Is that really all you can compare it to? Its hardly a persuasive argument.

seamus wrote: »
    No they don't. If you don't pay your TV licence or motor tax you will be fined. It is not a defence to say that you never received any communication on the matter.
    I have received communication from them. Letters and advertisements on TV and radio. Besides, these are well established taxes, this one is a new one and I think they should communicate with the people that they expect to pay it.

Big Swinging Mickey, Some of us just ain't going to pay. Our government can't be trusted with the money anyway.

You'll pay up alright - you have the air of a keyboard warrior. First to fall.

tin79 wrote: »
    The old "its only x number of pints" argument. Is that really all you can compare it to? Its hardly a persuasive argument.

Well what would you like to compare it to? Less then one trip per week on public transport?
    Less than two bottles of 500ml water?
    Less than you'd tip a taxi driver?
    Less than what?

I have received communication from them. Letters and advertisements on TV and radio. Besides, these are well established taxes, this one is a new one and I think they should communicate with the people that they expect to pay it.

I think it's safe to say you're aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

seamus wrote: »
    No they don't. If you don't pay your TV licence or motor tax you will be fined.

They send out bills for both examples you use there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Have" and "should" are not the same as "must".

Government departments do not have to communicate with you to request that you make a statutory payment. The requirement is on you to be aware of it.

It would be a defence in court if you could show that information in relation to the payment was difficult to obtain or otherwise obscured, but you couldn't argue that in relation to the household charge.
    They send out bills for both examples you use there though.
    No they don't. They send out payment reminders. In any case, if you don't receive a payment reminder, that's no defence against non-payment.
    The difference is that a bill details money owed. The documents sent in relation to motor tax and TV licences clearly state that the payment is only due if you still have a TV/car. That's not a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

smash wrote: »
    "Transport Minister Leo Varadkar has said that those who break the law one day should not expect protection from it the next."

Threats like that don't cut it. He should be thrown out. Smarmy fúcker.

Is this for real???? Sure the law and the justice system is for the criminal in this country cause it certainly aint for the innocent, how many time have the state let murderers and rapists walk free??
    Or maybe he is talking about breaking the law in relation to the revenue?? Now this is worse than murder in our state...

As for the property charge, many new buyers are in negative equity so why are we being taxed on something we dont even own?? never mind getting a return of any shape or form from it.

Cowards are those who register for this, they are going against the majority of the citizens out there, this charge is so wrong and should not be paid. We can decide if something is right or wrong we have the freedom and power to make it happen and tell the government to fck off with this charge if the majority stands together

I think it's safe to say you're aware of it.
    Maybe. But once it comes to court, it's got to be proven. Especially if they want to levy fines.

Maybe. But once it comes to court, it's got to be proven. Especially if they want to levy fines.

No it doesn't. Ignorance of the law is not a defence. It's your responsibility as a citizen to be informed as to the law of the land.

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Cowards are those who register for this, they are going against the majority of the citizens out there, this charge is so wrong and should not be paid. We can decide if something is right or wrong we have the freedom and power to make it happen and tell the government to fck off with this charge if the majority stands together

LOL.

Any hints as to why this charge is wrong and shouldn't be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Another mindless twit. People should not make comments when they are on cloud 9

Another mindless twit. People should not make comments when they are on cloud 9

Good advice for you there Mr CJ.

• Advertisement

They do? I pay PAYE and PRSI on a regular basis without any communication to do so. They don't fine you at will because you've not broken a law - break a law and risk the penalty.
    Maybe you should contact Revenue about that. I receive a P60 and a taxation certificate each year and my employer provides me with a payslip each week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement