Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm paying because I like the idea that the additional tax burden will give my splenetic moron tirades about the destiantion of "my taxes" ve even more imagined greivance.

It's cheap at the price, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'd pay double if i could

Ghandee wrote: »
    I dont get this response?

Its €8.33 a month too fcuking much!!!

Were being charged a tax to live in a poxy house that (not through ordinary Joe Soaps fault) is worth prob half of what it was when we bought it, due to the completely wreckless behaviour of corrupt politicians and greedy bankers.

This charge is for us to pay back the BILLIONS squandered by them, robbed by them, and mismanaged by them FFS!

It doesnt matter two fiddlers farts the amount, its just the fact that we have to pay it in the first place!

Oh yeah, its 100 this year (TO BEGIN WITH) what will it be next year if we let them away with slipping it under the door this year?

Civil disobedience is the way forward, lets all stand together, tell FG and the greedy bankers to go fcuk themselves!

Typical response from the 'ah sure it'll be grand brigade'!

Fcuk em, Fcuk the lot of them!

It's everyone elses fault but mine blah blah blah :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

A lot of "Im alright so fcuk you Jack" attitudes here. Shame on you

http://www.petitiononline.ie/signatures/say-no-to-the-new-household-charge/1383

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'd pay double if i could

I can help you with that, put your money where your mouth is and pay mine and yours.

Simple. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the idiots that register and pay this will be the ones whinging and moaning next year and the year after that because of a much larger property tax forced onto them.

I won't be paying it so they can go fcuk themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

zenno wrote: »
    the idiots that register and pay this will be the ones whinging and moaning next year and the year after that because of a much larger property tax forced onto them.

I won't be paying it so they can go fcuk themselves.

So your not going to pay a tax this year because of an increase that might come in next year? Logical. Very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hey If I have to pay for my water, then it's my water.
    And I can do whatever I like with my water which I paid for so.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

As others have said this is just the starting point. Many people will cough up thinking, sure it's only 100 but It will increase year on year on year until you are paying god knows what.

This is a tax for owning/renting your own home. Some are saying that it is for LA services yet they are so
    inefficient. You will be paying for so much wastage within the LAs.

Some are comparing it to the UK system where they get refuse and other services for their money. I want to know what things are like over their in the uk - average income, net income, taxes, prices for rent, food, clothing, transport - car public transport, medical costs etc.

I thought it was in the constitution that everyone has a right to shelter. This tax is going against peoples right to shelter, is it not?

syklops wrote: »
    So your not going to pay a tax this year because of an increase that might come in next year? Logical. Very good.

It is logical. I'm sick of being screwed and have had enough. the criminal government won't be forcing me to register and pay I can assure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Jo Higgins is not going to pay

Well he does not have to he lives with his mother in HER HOUSE!!! Therfore he is not going to get hit with the tax.......

He really is a hero :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vintac34

Happy to pay BUT ONLY IF the public funded pensions of the politicans and senior public servants are capped at max of european average,not payable until OAP entitlement age and one state pension only per person...
    Remember thats where most of our money is going!!!!Our so called government(with a
    small g) looking after themselves and their friends..
    Recent payouts show its still as bad as with the last regime..same club..different tent!!!!

The geriatric rest home for friends and failed(aka the senate)was to be abolished,but all gone quiet on this..Shut it down now and keep a hospital open for heavens sake!!
    Happy xmas from what i feel is the most corrupt country in europe.

They cant afford 8 quid a month?

If things are that tight then they should look to get some kind of mortgage interest relief and therefore won't need to pay the property charge.
    Then what did you buy it for?

You dont own a house (in this country) yet do you?

:rolleyes:

Come back and preach to me when you become a responsible adult and get bills like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I thought it was in the constitution that everyone has a right to shelter.

No, it's not. There is a right to own property (Article 43.1) but that's a different thing entirely.
    This tax is going against peoples right to shelter, is it not?

No, it's not. By the same logic rent and mortgage payments should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll pay it. People in other countries like the UK have been paying rates for years. I don't see the huge problem with a one hundred euro tax.

Yes, it may increase but the country is fooked, the majority of us enjoyed the high life for a few years but we'll have to cut back now. No point whingeing about it.

I still know and see people every day complaining about how they've no money and are being robbed left, right and centre with taxes while buying 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day, smoking 20 cigarettes and spending five or so euro on a sandwich for lunch when a loaf of bread costs less than €2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Come back and preach to me when you become a responsible adult and get bills like the rest of us.
    You don't own a house (in any other countries) yet do you?

Come back and preach about how expensive service charges are here when you do?

It looks like the fear from government has affected many sheeple here already. no wonder this country is in the mess it is when the Irish people bow down and take it every way their told to. stand up for yourselves and stop being a bunch of frightened children ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I do get bills like responsible adults. And when the bank was throwing cash at me I also acted responsibly and didn't buy a house I cant afford.

If you are saying that you can not afford this charge then I suggested you look into relief. I am not pointing at you and laughing, I sympathise.

However, if you can afford to pay the property tax, and instead are just engaging in posturing on the internet to appear like a poor and hard done by property owner then I think you are a sad and pathetic little man and I pity you for other reasons.

You don't own a house (in any other countries) yet do you?

Come back and preach about how expensive service charges are here when you do?

You can stop rolling your eyes, because I do own a house in County Derry too btw. I inherited it from my grandparents, and a family member occupies it (rent free btw)

Lemlin wrote: »
    the majority of us enjoyed the high life for a few years but we'll have to cut back now. No point whingeing about it.

what sort of drivel is that ?. you may have enjoyed the high life but I and many others certainly did not and we are getting battered to death with this sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

You can stop rolling your eyes, because I do own a house in County Derry too btw. I inherited it from my grandparents, and a family member occupies it (rent free btw)
    Well that would mean you are familiar with rates, whether you pay them or not. :)

I can help you with that, put your money where your mouth is and pay mine and yours.

Simple. :pac:

I'm only saying that to piss people off :pac:

I don't have to pay any ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i look forward to the penalties those who wont pay it will incur. muppets

zenno wrote: »
    what sort of drivel is that ?. you may have enjoyed the high life but I and many others certainly did not and we are getting battered to death with this sh1t.

It means that the recession for the majority of Irish people means that they buy clothes in Penneys rather than Brown Thomas or Bertoni.

That's what it means.

How exactly are you getting battered to death? You can afford a computer, an internet connection and, although from your English you appear to be poorly educated, you are able to type.

You're hardly at third world levels of depravity yet.

I'm only saying that to piss people off troll :pac:

I don't have to pay any ;)

FYP
    Well that would mean you are familiar with rates, whether you pay them or not. :)

Indeed I am, but do not have to pay for bins to be emptied etc.

Argument over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

Food and fuel poverty is existing in Ireland 2011 and mark my words it is going to increase. Some people do not have this money.

I'm just climbing out from a dose of poverty myself. My wage was reduced and I was unable to keep up with rent, my bill (ESB) (you see I lived within my means) and food. My diet turned to sh1t. I lived of teabags, cereal and milk since september.

Poverty is definately existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish they'd explain how the means test will work. Will there really be people paying €1,000 a year soon? For something that's going to be implemented so soon it seems to be getting very little press.

I think the uncertainty of what's going to happen next is the problem for a lot of people.

By the way, the whole "You buy drinks and smokes so therefore must pay everything you're asked to pay" argument is total bollocks. Shouldn't people be allowed a couple of small luxuries? Somebody spends a fiver on a bottle of wine in lidl? They should be spending that on taxes! How dare they!

Do they have to stay home every night wearing rags and eating bread and water for you people to be satisfied that people are struggling?

Lemlin wrote: »
    although from your English you appear to be poorly educated, you are able to type.

I am more than likely more educated than yourself, I have many skills so that smart remark does not help you in any way. just because someone types "sh1t" in their comment does not make a person poorly educated. it is more anger than anything.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Food and fuel poverty is existing in Ireland 2011 and mark my words it is going to increase. Some people do not have this money.

Yes and plenty of social welfare fraud also exists. The economy needs to tighten its purse strings and collect taxes.

Has everyone giving out about the high tax rates on here reported people they know who claim the dole, work for cash or claim single mother allowances illegally?

If people want to make their stand, then do that and actually help the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 firemansammie

I dont own my house, the bank does - they hold the deeds...They can pay mine for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement