Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

shamwari wrote: »
    IIRC, a big part of the problem was the Peugeot engine, which was considered too heavy and bulky, and not particularly competitive.

I think you're onto something there. I read something about the Pug engines in F1 Racing around 2000. I think the article mentioned about how their engines were developed at the time. I'm sure I still have that magazine and I will dig it out to get more info.

The relationship with Prost and Peugeot was always tense and I remember the Peugeot mechanics went on strike at the French GP in 2000 after Prost criticised the engines. TBH, I think Peugeot stopped developing the engines for Prost in the last year or two of their uneasy relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think since they lost the privateer teams the sport has gone downhill

I dont mean to nitpick but at present there are only two factory teams, Ferrari and Mercedes, the rest of the grid are privater teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

schumi fastest in the morning with webber second and ricciardo third :)

frostie500 wrote: »
    I dont mean to nitpick but at present there are only two factory teams, Ferrari and Mercedes, the rest of the grid are privater teams

Indeed. Privateer teams are the life blood of the sport, unlike the factory teams (apart from Ferrari) who come and go. I think when BMW and Toyota closed their works teams, they could have at least continued to supply engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    This is a bit off topic but I have been trying to get into a bit more technical details on inner workings of F1 cars and the technical details. Does anyone have any decent suggestions on some good places to get information etc. Cheers

Here is one http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

I'm waiting if Scrabs would analyse other 2012 cars..

but in general it is very difficult to find details about under-the-hood tech

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

frostie500 wrote: »

True, what I actually meant was solely F1 teams rather than millionaires with hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

This is a bit off topic but I have been trying to get into a bit more technical details on inner workings of F1 cars and the technical details. Does anyone have any decent suggestions on some good places to get information etc. Cheers

There is a F1 tech mag free with this month's F1 magazine :)

Autosport wrote: »

That tech magazine that came with F1 Racing is only IT related. Was done in conjunction with Caterham and Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

schumi fastest in the morning with webber second and ricciardo third :)

I know it is early days but that Lotus is not seeming half bad.

Fastest lap of the week so far for Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

vectra wrote: »

Really quick 1.18:419 wau! Also on medium tires like Kimi was but don't know about how much fuel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Werent Renault really quick this time last year as well?

BTW I really rate Grosjean. I think hes a great driver.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont get sucked into the hype of testing!

I am not but to be fair.It is a god bit faster than last years times and seems to be coming to the attention of other drivers.

Yes they were I think.

I also like Grosjean,
    2 drivers together in Lotus.
    both drivers having had a run in with Alonso :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

As far as i can remember they were quick enough. Always remember EJ giving out at the start of the season that if Kubica was in the renualt(louts) that they would be pushing for wins.

The first two races with a poudium in each, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Anyone else wondering if Mercedes' decision to give the 2012 car more time before testing is going to be a Ross Brawn masterstroke or a symptom of them falling more behind this year?
    As far as i can remember they were quick enough. Always remember EJ giving out at the start of the season that if Kubica was in the renualt(louts) that they would be pushing for wins.

The first two races with a poudium in each, I think.

I actually think they could have or at the very least kept up with development better. Petrov and Heidfield (especially since he was just thrown in at the last minute) just weren't the driving force behind them team that Kubica would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I really hope its an awesome car I would give anything to see Schumacher win a race this season.

Im hoping for a masterpiece. Likewise, would love to see schumacher run at or near the front. Ross Brawn will get to the front again you would have to think based on track record.

I don't see Mercedes winning yet, but I do think their drivers will make some trips to the podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Autosport wrote: »
    If I want tech I go here :)http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Technically not F1-related but this news makes me very happy, GP2 and GP3 to be shown on the same channel as the F1. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

amacachi wrote: »
    Technically not F1-related but this news makes me very happy, GP2 and GP3 to be shown on the same channel as the F1. :D

Oh for FFS! Does this mean that GP2 and GP3 is gone from Setanta and Eurosport? No way am I getting sky! I'm not putting money into Mr Murdochs hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shanemangan

I'm awful disappointed about the whole Sky thing. But that is probably a discussion for another thread

• Advertisement

I'm awful disappointed about the whole Sky thing. But that is probably a discussion for another thread
    +1
    Does anyone have any streaming sited for this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

There should be planty of streams, but I probable won't use them.
    I've been spoilt by BBC HD and would rather watch the extended highlights in HD then stream it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Unreal man, great work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

nice job PJ - did you call it the 'cars and stripes' poster?! *gets coat*

oh, one other thing...30 days, 1 hour till Practice 1.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

That explains alot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I think Lotus look quite strong at this time...its all positive stuff from their camp.

Anyone think Red Bull may be slightly off balance? I think McLaren & Ferrari will find their feet at the Barcelona test.

Vitaly Petrov has replaced Jarno Trulli as a race driver at Caterham for the 2012 season, with the latter leaving the team.

http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motorsport/story/70550.html?CMP=chrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Vitaly Petrov has replaced Jarno Trulli as a race driver at Caterham for the 2012 season, with the latter leaving the team.

http://en.espnf1.com/caterham/motorsport/story/70550.html?CMP=chrome

What's with all these stupid decisions lately? Williams took Maldonado over Barrichello. Torro Rosso got rid of 2 of some of the best drivers they've had. Now Caterham get's rid of a talented and experienced driver over Petrov (meh) who's best result was 3rd in 2011...then wasn't great for the rest of the season. The only thing teams want to see from new drivers is money, raw talent doesn't matter anymore, and it's stupid that this is the reason Barrichello lost a race seat after 19 years.( yes his talent was fading but let's face it, that was one of, if not the most, terrible williams cars ever or in a long time.)

Advertisement