Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

****sake, woke up after dreaming about first practice and thinking second practice was just about to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Barrichellos talent wasnt fading, just look at his vidoes of his test in the US he looked very sharp.

He was impressive at Brawn which was just two or three years ago, so I dunno. I can't really tell because of that terrible Williams car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Maldonado over Barichello was questionable alright - but to be fair to Caterham, Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not. Can't really say I'm surprised to hear Petrov is replacing him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Barrichellos talent wasnt fading, just look at his vidoes of his test in the US he looked very sharp.

He looks sharp because it's a new challenge and a change of scenery. No doubt it's a challenge he will relish.
    Top Dog wrote: »
    Maldonado over Barichello was questionable alright - but to be fair to Caterham, Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not. Can't really say I'm surprised to hear Petrov is replacing him now.

Jarno not surprised by Caterham exit. I have to say I am not surprised by it either as rumours about him being replaced were going around for a while. He will end up in another form of motor racing no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Trulli has done nothing in the past couple of seasons with his team mate showing him a clean pair of heels more often than not.

He finished ahead of Kov in the final standings this season..well...literally just ahead of him but he's still ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He finished ahead of Kov in the final standings this season..well...literally just ahead of him but he's still ahead
    Didn't Kovalinen comprehensively out-qualify him all season long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Didn't Kovalinen comprehensively out-qualify him all season long?

And throughout his career qualifying was really the only place Trulli tended to be any good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Zagato wrote: »
    And throughout his career qualifying was really the only place Trulli tended to be any good

Wonder was the Petrov V Trulli decision purely based on a financial aspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

vectra wrote: »
    One look at the car shows why they needed to bring in Petrov. Trulli's struggles in the last couple of years havent helped him but realistically the team can now tap into the Russian market and bring in a lot of sponsors.

Its a shame for Jarno. Ive always liked him and even though he is always remembered more for his qualifying performances than his races its worth remembering that he drove quite a few terrible cars over the course of his career and to get them to the sharp end of the grid was an achievement in itself.

I will miss the Trulli Trains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I will miss the Trulli Trains

On the bright side it'll mean that there'll be less penalty for early pitstops from about 6th to 10th :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Maybe getting rid of Trulli wasnt but bringing in Petrov was as hes very average.

amacachi wrote: »
    On the bright side it'll mean that there'll be less penalty for early pitstops from about 6th to 10th :pac:

I often had a good old laugh at them all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Just to throw this funny page here, some reading until Barcelona tests..

http://wtf1.co.uk/top-ten-formula-one-fans-of-2011/

Ensign.jpg

"Could this be the ugliest F1 car ever made?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

frostie500 wrote: »
    One look at the car shows why they needed to bring in Petrov. Trulli's struggles in the last couple of years havent helped him but realistically the team can now tap into the Russian market and bring in a lot of sponsors.

Its a shame for Jarno. Ive always liked him and even though he is always remembered more for his qualifying performances than his races its worth remembering that he drove quite a few terrible cars over the course of his career and to get them to the sharp end of the grid was an achievement in itself.

From the business point of view, would be stupid if Petrov didn't get driving seat this year.. few small teams could have use of Russian millions.

I don't like rich drivers buying themselves seats but what they could do once they have enough money and need for speed? Petrov could learn well from Kovalainen, if his ego isn't too big, in matter of doing things better with smaller team, to use more of his head, feel good and build stronger reputation for 2014 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Foooook!!!!
    Just woke up after thinking I was driving for Toro Rosso this year :mad:

****!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

C'mere, Torro Rosso. That's just Red Bull, but some Spanish version aye?

C'mere, Torro Rosso. That's just Red Bull, but some Spanish version aye?
    Italian I think, but it's Red Bull's sister team. It's basically a way to test drivers for the main team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Lads

Anyone else thinking of how to juggle paddy's day drinking and 5.00am rising the next morning.

Lads

Anyone else thinking of how to juggle paddy's day drinking and 5.00am rising the next morning.
    Just keep drinking until the race is over. Then sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Lads

Its easy, stay up and watch the Sebring 12 Hours and then the F1 will start soon after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

So I'm racing online last night and this happened, then this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

freestyla wrote: »
    Just to throw this funny page here, some reading until Barcelona tests..

http://wtf1.co.uk/top-ten-formula-one-fans-of-2011/

Ensign.jpg

"Could this be the ugliest F1 car ever made?" :D

Looks like they used part of a ladder on that car. :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

An early form of a stepped nose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

mercedes have their new car officially launched. haug says he wants them to push the big 3 this year , i think myself they will be closer and the might get a win or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

i think myself they will be closer and the might get a win or 2

Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Based on what exactly?

Well when you consider mercedes with thier resources and Ross Brawn and his team with the knowledge of what it takes to win, I can only see them moving forward. Brawns history is stunning when you look through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Based on what exactly?

i just feel they will and they have to. there is some indication from the testing times , although this is not always a reliable indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Just got my tickets for the Spanish GP there!

Gonna check out the testing before the end of the week too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

i just feel they will and they have to. there is some indication from the testing times , although this is not always a reliable indicator.

I really hope that other teams will be closer to Red Bull this season ... fingers crossed :)

Something for fun (apologies if shared here previously)

http://vimeo.com/32105591

Advertisement