Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Gintonious wrote: »
    Should be a busy week with some new cars on the blocks, excellent.

Indeed. McLaren on Wednesday, Ferrari and Force India on Friday, and Lotus next Sunday.

I can't wait to see what the McLaren & Ferrari will look like. Their cars should be interesting as they are going down the radical route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

TheChrisD wrote: »
    They could be worse, they could be the 2012 IndyCars.
    Nah, the Indy cars are better imo. I wish we could have the 2006/7 cars again, they looked awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Nearly there now...McLaren launch tomorrow don't they?

Anyone see that Autosport article that was pulled shortly afterwards? Basically saying McLaren expect to have to battle to make sure their car is counted as legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Daniel S wrote: »
    Nah, the Indy cars are better imo. I wish we could have the 2006/7 cars again, they looked awesome!

They're just the old car with extra bodywork on the back, looks awful.

ottostreet wrote: »
    Nearly there now...McLaren launch tomorrow don't they?

Anyone see that Autosport article that was pulled shortly afterwards? Basically saying McLaren expect to have to battle to make sure their car is counted as legal?

Article is here.

The last two paragraphs are very interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'm liking the sound of the McLaren, it being innovative. But I think it highlights a point: if a team come up with something new and quick it should not be up to other teams to complain and kick up a fuss, the fia should be forced to make a final decision before the cars are launched.

Those last 2 paragraphs are intresting. But I'm still convinced that that red bull had some serious trickery going on last season.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Article is here.

The last two paragraphs are very interesting...

He only outscored Button by 15 points over the last 9 races, not as bad as they're making out. :pac: I've said before and I'll keep on saying it, the RB had a good second or more in the bag that Webber didn't work out all season and Vettel only used for a lap or two in most races. Whether is engine settings or gearbox settings that are a bit on the edge I don't know but he often would be 1-2 seconds a lap quicker at the start of the race and dial it back as the stint continued. Often he had no answer later when under pressure suggesting sometimes the option wasn't available for one reason or another.

Edit *putting photos in launch thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Autosport

Snow at Fiorano may hinder first run of new Ferrari F1 car

1328117330.jpg

Ferrari is likely to be forced to cancel a planned shakedown of its new car at Fiorano later this week because of snow at Maranello. The Italian team had intended to run its new car for filming purposes straight after its official launch on Friday morning.
    However, wintry conditions have left the outfit's Fiorano circuit covered in snow - which is unlikely to melt over the new few days.
    A statement on Ferrari's official website, which confirmed the launch was still going ahead as planned, said: "It now looks as though there is little chance of carrying out the planned promotional filming featuring action shots of the car at the Fiorano track.
    "Even if the snow was to stop, it's hard to imagine that the escape roads could be cleared of their blanket of snow which is gradually building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

decisions wrote: »

Gonna sound dumb here but is that the exhaust poking out of the little pod there?
    I though the outlets had to out the rear of the car?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

vectra wrote: »
    Gonna sound dumb here but is that the exhaust poking out of the little pod there?
    I though the outlets had to out the rear of the car?:confused:

yes it is and the rules now state they must exit on the top surface rather than rear.

yes it is and the rules now state they must exit on the top surface rather than rear.

Ah,
    Missed out on that.
    Cheers

Edit *putting photos in launch thread*

the lump thing on the nose is fugly

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Guy can we stop putting photos of the new cars in this thread we have a seperate thread dedicated for this! I have edited this thread.

Any more posts of launch cars in here will result in a warning

Edited my reply to a pic and changed the img to url..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

HRT must be having a laugh. Karthikeyan wasnt up to the cut this time last year, hes not likely to have impoved much in the last 12 months. Its only a matter of time before they want rid agian. Im just presuming nothing better has arose and another driver can’t match his sponsership at the moment and they are waiting for a better opportunity to arise during the season.

Surely Chandhok would've been a better bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

amacachi wrote: »
    But could he have brought the same amount of money? Its got feck all to do with skill - its all about the dollars/euros/etc :(

Top Dog wrote: »
    But could he have brought the same amount of money? Its got feck all to do with skill - its all about the dollars/euros/etc :(

True but surely the sponsors (I may be assuming mistakenly) are mainly Indian and they could invest in a driver who has a bit younger and might achieve something over his career, Karthekayen is 35 and has had his chance a coupla times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

amacachi wrote: »

My heart goes out to Chandok. What a sound fellow he seems, & he's very engaging to listen to also. Whenever he gets a drive, he seems to be up against it be it with weather or some other condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Chandhok is already under contract to drive in the WEC this year for JRM

EnterNow wrote: »
    My heart goes out to Chandok. What a sound fellow he seems, & he's very engaging to listen to also. Whenever he gets a drive, he seems to be up against it be it with weather or some other condition.

I think he was going to do a race for Lotus last year, in Trulli's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I think he was going to do a race for Lotus last year, in Trulli's seat.
    He did didn't he?

This is worth watching:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Story lads?

Living in Barcelona at the moment and I'll still be here for the Cicuit de Catalunya GP around the 12th of May.

Just looking at the prices, and for a Gen. Admission ticket its around 95 quid. Would I actually be able to see racing if I buy one of these tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

Story lads?

Living in Barcelona at the moment and I'll still be here for the Cicuit de Catalunya GP around the 12th of May.

Just looking at the prices, and for a Gen. Admission ticket its around 95 quid. Would I actually be able to see racing if I buy one of these tickets?

If it's at the Circuit de Catalunya, you'll be lucky to see any racing no matter where you sit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

Top Dog wrote: »

Bang on. He's not really deserving of a drive anywhere, but in today's F1 sponsorship > talent for most of the mid - rear grid teams, sadly, and you end up with balloons like Karthekiyan, Senna and Maldonado taking up race seats while solid drivers are left without a drive. I presume Charles Pic has sponsorship too. Finishing 10th and 4th in GP2 doesn't sound like F1 material.

If it's at the Circuit de Catalunya, you'll be lucky to see any racing no matter where you sit ;)

Not sure I understand what you mean :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Replace the word racing with overtaking???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think he means its not a very exciting race! Actually I'm on my holidays in France/Andorra/Spain at that time of the year so Ive bought tickets to the GP even though its not one I would go to. I got them for the end of the straight.

€95 is that general admission and three days? Why not? Get there early pick a spot and enjoy all the races not just the F1. GP2 usually produces exciting races in Spain actually.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    Replace the word racing with overtaking???

Ahh, I see. Well I reckon I'd be happy enough just seeing them cars going around the track!

The way I see it is, when will I ever get a chance to go to F1 in the next few years, (without being pro-active about going of course) so I might just try head to this! :)

I think he means its not a very exciting race! Actually I'm on my holidays in France/Andorra/Spain at that time of the year so Ive bought tickets to the GP even though its not one I would go to. I got them for the end of the straight.

€95 is that general admission and three days? Why not? Get there early pick a spot and enjoy all the races not just the F1. GP2 usually produces exciting races in Spain actually.

As far as I can tell, it's three days. You can sit in a grandstand for practice with the Gen Admission Ticket.

Also from the interweb...

With the Grand Prix ticket, you will also enjoy the F1 Test Days at the Circuit de Catalunya for free (21-24 February and 1-4 March)!

On Thursday of the Grand Prix you will have the chance to visit the Pit Lane of the Circuit. And watch the drivers and mechanics in their garages

On Friday you may access any grandstand with a general admission ticket, except grandstand C.

But then, the thing that made me wonder would I actually be able to see any racing/driving on the race day was the fact that the following says stuff about just being able to walk around on the asphalt paths and follow the race on big screens.

During the three days of the Gran Prix you can walk around all public areas in the asphalted paths that connect the different areas inside the Circuit.

You will be able to follow the whole race without missing a single detail from any place thanks to giant screens strategically located around the Circuit.

Like, I don't wanna be strolling around some track looking at big screens and just hearing the cars!

EDIT: Link for that information is http://www.circuitcat.com/TICKETS/F1-Tickets/_C-m36i6nCePpk4oQ7X5tn5SbgRwnSFoLQBL3YxyXY34tnSG5NdJgYfLZQxepA9xmf3ujU9JAipm84j-d_HCTmf_ctjPz39yEa5Hq5teF39ysY3Yta-aX29V8TLFZX-j-

Advertisement