Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Kevski wrote: »
    Tweeted by Martin Brundle this evening...
    Very pleasant day trip to Dublin with @CroftyF1 and @tedkravitz on TV business. City looks good

Wonder what that could be about?

He was interviewd on Off The Ball on Newstalk, could be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I've read that Marussia are delaying the launch of this years car as it failed a crash test. Marussia and HRT both failed crash tests and didn't take part in any testing, and I doubt they will.

So I'm guessing they will show off their new cars in Aus, probably in the pitlane with their drivers removing covers from the cars.

So it looks like P1 will be a test session for the 2 back of the grid teams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

freestyla wrote: »
    yeeaahh!

haha Schumi and Nico ^^ :pac:

Head on Button :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I've read that Marussia are delaying the launch of this years car as it failed a crash test. Marussia and HRT both failed crash tests and didn't take part in any testing, and I doubt they will.

So I'm guessing they will show off their new cars in Aus, probably in the pitlane with their drivers removing covers from the cars.

So it looks like P1 will be a test session for the 2 back of the grid teams...

Amazing they didn't learn lessons from last year (and 2010) :o

It's a shame that those rich owners are having them teams just for fun, like toys to do smthg in free time.. not professional commitment imo.. to not have improvements during 2 years and even making some same mistakes -not F1 level really..

freestyla wrote: »
    Amazing they didn't learn lessons from last year (and 2010) :o

It's a shame that those rich owners are having them teams just for fun, like toys to do smthg in free time.. not professional commitment imo.. to not have improvements during 2 years and even making some same mistakes -not F1 level really..

To be fair, Marussia are heading in the right direction, they have access to McLarens technical facilities, so that should help them. That said, having failed a crash test and haven't made it to testing, not good at all. A few years ago, they made a blunder with the fuel tank size. Failed to make a distiction between a U.S gallon (3.78 litres) and an Imperial gallon (4.5 litres).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Here's a pic from yesterday in dublin. Brundle looks like a wee child in the car

194637.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

lolie wrote: »
    Here's a pic from yesterday in dublin. Brundle looks like a wee child in the car

Surely thats doctored or something. Even his head looks tiny and that cant be right:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mickdw wrote: »
    lolie wrote: »

Surely thats doctored or something. Even his head looks tiny and that cant be right:D

My thinking too. Looks added in afterwards. Looks like Michael D Higgins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

It has to be Photoshopped, badly at that.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Added around 1kg to the chassis which I would have thought is not ideal specially if the repair is all around the top mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sake, would've liked to see that. Make tyre-saving more important again.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Myself and a mate are going to Barca in May. Bought the 3 day tic. Cannot wait, first time at a grand prix. From anyone's previous experience, Do drivers do signings or anything like that on the practice day on Fri or is all that kinda stuff reserved for the VIP tics?

Heidfeld and Sutil looking at returning to F1.

I don't see Heidfeld getting a seat with anyone in the future so I think he should focus on sportscar racing. Would be a better chance of me selling bellybutton fluff on ebay than seeing a Heidfeld comeback.

As for Sutil, I wouldn't rule him out returning this season. If Grosjean doesn't deliver the goods at Lotus, I could Sutil replacing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Myself and a mate are going to Barca in May. Bought the 3 day tic. Cannot wait, first time at a grand prix. From anyone's previous experience, Do drivers do signings or anything like that on the practice day on Fri or is all that kinda stuff reserved for the VIP tics?

I've never been to a GP before but I'm going to the Barca one too. So, I ain't sure about the signings thing but on the Circuit de Catalunya website it says that on the Thursday, you can go to the pit lane and watch the drivers and mechanics working, or something along those lines. So maybe then, you can get autographs? I dunno though.

http://www.circuitcat.com/TICKETS/F1-Tickets/_C-m36i6nCePpk4oQ7X5tn5SbgRwnSFoLQBL3YxyXY34tnSG5NdJgYfLZQxepA9xmf3ujU9JAipm84j-d_HCTmf_ctjPz39yEa5Hq5teF39ysY3Yta-aX29V8TLFZX-j-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Haven't been to a grand prix in a few years, but there was very little of that. I think most of the cap/photo signings are not done in public, and if there was one, even on a practice day, queues would be crazy (it might be the only thing you did that day -and possibly the night before).

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

I don't see Heidfeld getting a seat with anyone in the future so I think he should focus on sportscar racing. Would be a better chance of me selling bellybutton fluff on ebay than seeing a Heidfeld comeback.

As for Sutil, I wouldn't rule him out returning this season. If Grosjean doesn't deliver the goods at Lotus, I could Sutil replacing him.

Really?

You can see the team with a senior stakeholder that was attacked by Sutil and pressed charges against him causing him to be cast out of the sport hiring him to drive for them? I honestly don't think Sutil will have anything to do with Lotus either be his design or senior managment's.

I genuinely forgot about what happened between Sutil and Eric Lux.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

"Jenson Button mentioned at the last test that McLaren would have a major upgrade prior to the first race, and they will be adding new parts to the car throughout this test. McLaren tell us the focus for the first two days is race simulation work, while the final two days 'will be more exclusively devoted to learning about the new upgrades'."

From the BBC Live Text.

With all the talk of McLaren having controversial designs prior to the launch of the car - yet nothing seeming the least bit controversial I though the reports were either bull or that we wouldn't see anything til the last day or two of testing - may it will be the later theory. I hope it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sutil never really kicked on did he? I thought at this stage he would have at least a have a podium or two.

kksaints wrote: »
    Sutil never really kicked on did he? I thought at this stage he would have at least a have a podium or two.

To get onto the podium, you need a car that can help you get to the podium.

Sutil, he's a solid but not a spectacular driver. Nothing special.

Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-01-03-2012-Vitaly-Petrov-Caterham-fotoshowImage-1f1ff02e-574218.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

The back of that looks like the front of this...

zandvoort671329500746.jpg

I'm obviously no aerodynamicist but surely there'll be some amount of eddies coming off that trailing edge before the diffuser/wing? :S Even if it was clean air along that it'd be pretty unpredictable, after hitting the wing and all I would've thought the air would be filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-01-03-2012-Vitaly-Petrov-Caterham-fotoshowImage-1f1ff02e-574218.jpg

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97439

Notice how he never mentions KERS, only "boost"?

It's obviously rockets like! :pac:

Caterham CT01, a car with a hole in its arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Caterham CT01, a car with a hole in its arse.

I'd be a firm believer in the benefits of al all arses having holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I havn't followed a Formula 1 season properly in years. Getting proper excited now!

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    I'd be a firm believer in the benefits of al all arses having holes!

Yes. Never saw anything like it on the back of an F1 car before.

Advertisement