Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What the story with spending caps for 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

mickdw wrote: »
    What the story with spending caps for 2012?

Good question, but I don't think they have spending caps?

Isn't it something like "you can spend what you earn in F1 business" ?
    And somehow I don't believe RB, Mclaren and Ferrari comply with that rule. Maybe Merc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bernie's think cap is on again

How can you use a last years car when the rules change from year to year?? :confused:
    Bernie Ecclestone, head of F1 commercial rights holder Formula One Management (FOM), has unveiled the latest of his unique plans for the sport. With the now named HRT, Marussia and Caterham squads going through turbulent times since joining the grid in 2010, he is pushing the idea of allowing new teams three seasons worth of racing with a year-old front-running car, before a switch to full manufacturer status.

GP Update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Would anyone here be interested in writing 5-6 600+ word articles about F1 betting for a new site I'm making? Pay would be about €15-20 per article. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

zuutroy wrote: »
    Would anyone here be interested in writing 5-6 600+ word articles about F1 betting for a new site I'm making? Pay would be about €15-20 per article. Thanks!

How often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Initially it will be just 6 articles of static content and depending on the success of the site then possibly for each race if the site is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

vectra wrote: »
    Bernie's think cap is on again

How can you use a last years car when the rules change from year to year??:confused:

GP Update

Firstly, I don't see any team using the same car for three years, and secondly, I don't think the midfield teams would be happy seeing HRT running an RB7.

Crazy talk from Bernie. Anyone remember his medals system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Guess Bernie still can't stop thinking of more "innovation" for F1.

Maybe he'll think about making them race on ovals? Give the teams another use for the Monza wing :P

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Firstly, I don't see any team using the same car for three years, and secondly, I don't think the midfield teams would be happy seeing HRT running an RB7.[/quote[
    Why? If HRT could afford one surely Sauber and the like could and could develop it better?
    Crazy talk from Bernie. Anyone remember his medals system?
    I'd still like to see most wins meaning winning the title. Don't see what's crazy about it. Making a points system specifically to make the standings closer is worse IMO.

amacachi wrote: »
    Why? If HRT could afford one surely Sauber and the like could and could develop it better?

He IS referring to the back of the grid teams and new teams.

I'd still like to see most wins meaning winning the title. Don't see what's crazy about it. Making a points system specifically to make the standings closer is worse IMO.
    I like the championship to be decided by points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Its always worth remembering that Bernie, and Max Mosley in the past, used radical ideas to try and force through more sensible solutions.
    The medal systems were used to get a new points system implemented.
    The budget caps were a radical way of forcing the teams to implement sensible measures for keeping costs in line.
    The "overtaking lane" idea that Bernie had for creating shortcuts on the track gave way to the DRS which while not universally supported was successful in its aims

So Sky has revealed their intros for this year, gotta say Im disappointed:

To me it shows a lack of imagination to use music that the BBC used for their close of 2010 review:

I really like the song and the video is great but I just think that SKY should have used a song that hadnt been attached to the BBC shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

frostie500 wrote: »

I really like the song and the video is great but I just think that SKY should have used a song that hadnt been attached to the BBC shows.

To be fair we might as well cut our losses and just expect Sky's intros/montages and such won't be as good as the Beeb's, how could they be.
    That said Sky usually do good stuff for football videos so hopefully it carries to F1.

Killinator wrote: »
    To be fair we might as well cut our losses and just expect Sky's intros/montages and such won't be as good as the Beeb's, how could they be.
    That said Sky usually do good stuff for football videos so hopefully it carries to F1.

To be honest its not the quality of the intro that annoys me, I like the footage, but for that song will always be the montage to the 2010 season that the BBC used so its a bit disappointing to see SKY reuse it

I would've been more annoyed if they specifically tried to avoid every single song the BBC used over the last 3 years. :pac: It's a little underwhelming to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fairly crap opening piece, apart from Alonso going mad :D
    Gerard-Butler-This-Is-Sparta.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'm liking that Sky intro. I'd already forgotten the BBC 2010 montage so doesn't bother me the song is re-used. Love seeing the old footage and previous champions, can't wait for the new season to start. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There is but one

Play that over the new sky intro & it'd be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

EnterNow wrote: »
    There is but one

Play that over the new sky intro & it'd be fine :)
    Can't beat it, really. :)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I thought the BBC opening montage was very poor, everything bar the music was crap. Cheap looking CG with no real imagination shown at all.
    Id agree it was only the chain that got you really going in their intro....but thats more than enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I thought the BBC opening montage was very poor, everything bar the music was crap. Cheap looking CG with no real imagination shown at all.

Yeah I agree, its all about the theme tune. The actual CG effect is dull, which is why I said put that song over the Sky intro. Best of Both Worlds then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I don't care what they do or what music they choose once the racing is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

bit of a stretch but i don't suppose anyone here has the old RTE intro featuring the prodigy's firestarter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Grim. wrote: »
    bit of a stretch but i don't suppose anyone here has the old RTE intro featuring the prodigy's firestarter
    I hope not, the nostalgia would nearly make me cry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Daniel S wrote: »
    I hope not, the nostalgia would nearly make me cry :D

grim i was just thinking of the exact same thing, I remember when the sports news used to have news of jordan getting a mugen honda deal. When i used to get excited at the jordan driver line up.

These days are gone:(

The best i can do is support force india:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

OH God No

That Means Peter Collins
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

zuutroy wrote: »

Ye id be well interested in this. Pm me with details if you still need people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

I've noted to myself that Sky are not playing up the crash aspect of the sport,
    Now I don't watch for crashes as I'm sure none here do but its always been a fundamental advertising pitch for any motorsport.

The only reason I can come up with is that Sky have a very limited reel of footage they have access to at the moment which is (I assume) the reason they only show footage from the last couple of races in their promo footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

frostie500 wrote: »
    So Sky has revealed their intros for this year, gotta say Im disappointed:

To me it shows a lack of imagination to use music that the BBC used for their close of 2010 review:

That video is made by a fan. Its not the opening titles.

• Advertisement

Marussia sign female driver.
    Maria de Villota has joined the Marussia Formula 1 team as a test driver for the 2012 season. The Spaniard, who has raced in several series including Spanish F3, the Daytona 24 Hours, and Superleague Formula Championship, first drove a Formula 1 car last year when she tested a Renault R29 at Paul Ricard.
    She was the first female driver to test for a contemporary Formula 1 team since Katherine Legge in 2005.

Full article on autosport.

I recommend checking the Autosport site everyday and adding it to your bookmarks.

Advertisement