Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The game certainly has its limitations. Most definitely there's something very immersion breaking about Ellie whispering loudly behind you and a Clicker not noticing, when even a slightly less soft footstep from Joel will see insta-death. I had plenty of concerns - some minor and a few major - with the game overall.

But your alternative suggestions would have been extremely disappointing if they were implemented. It would be the same old, bog standard 'damsel in distress' situation we've seen played out in dozens of games, great and not so great. The Last of Us actually plays around with those stereotypes, and even reverses traditional roles several times. And it does so through gameplay, not just cut scenes. Throughout the game the co-op puzzles (as basic as they might be) and the like forge the relationship between Joel and Ellie, and what you / Joel does is clearly impacting on Ellie. This all culminates quite cleverly in the section where
    you take control of Ellie
    , and you're able to see how Joel's actions throughout the game have affected and 'educated' her. The familiar roles of Ico and the like have been switched around, and Ellie is far more than an utterly helpless, defenseless girl. She's actually grown as a character, which is a lot more than Yorda does - and I say that as someone who firmly believes Ico is one of the greatest games ever made. Even when the roles switch once again,
    the way Joel 'saves' Ellie is altogether different and less 'heroic' than similar relationships have ever played out in games.
    Hell, even Children of Men didn't go that direction, ending instead on the old
    heroic sacrifice

I see it less damsel and distress given the fact a 15 year old girl is not going to do much at all taking on 6ft 1/2 men weighing 200 pounds more weight on her.
    If the industry wants to be taken seriously like movie industry and put in the same bracket then it needs to either adapt with having gameplay and cutscene fit and be the interactive medium it can or just always be left behind.

Because of what the developers chose to do I could never see ellie anything more than a character just to move the story along , elizabeth from bioshock infinite was put in the same boat but I feel kev levine got that right as the story was centered around her the story of the last of us was centered around the situation.

Ico works within its boundaires , yorda locked in the cage for so long is going to be in a fragile state as who knows how long she was kept there and she still gathered the strength within herself
    to save you twice

The bit where you
    control ellie makes no sense as to how a 15 year old can carry a man twice her weight to god knows how far to a street and put you in a basement

I may have said this before but I felt there relationship was tacked on , I seen no character development and there relationships towards one another felt forced and
    in the end when ellie ask with the fireflies was is truth and joel said yes
    makes ellie just as bad as joel so I could care less for either on em :L

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

( feck off, they are zomebies, I wont go in to this argument :pac: ), e.

They're not zombies, they're infected. - I will. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

F1ngers wrote: »
    They're not zombies, they're infected. - I will. :P

Same ****, different coat of paint! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The bit where you
    control ellie makes no sense as to how a 15 year old can carry a man twice her weight to god knows how far to a street and put you in a basement

She didn't carry him.Calus did:p

• Advertisement

She didn't carry him.Calus did:p

How did she lift him on the horse
    ?;)

?;)
    Actually im wrong, i think the horse dragged him in the end
    Edit:there was a scene where she is riding the horse and dragging joel

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Top top game

Actually im wrong, i think the horse dragged him in the end
    Edit:there was a scene where she is riding the horse and dragging joel
    then joel is going to bleed to death and not last long now is he , take into account how many people that will try to kill em

then joel is going to bleed to death and not last long now is he , take into account how many people that will try to kill em
    Have you played the DLC?

• Advertisement

Have you played the DLC?

No, not yet is it any good ?

No, not yet is it any good ?

F*ck yeah its good.If you dont wanna buy it then check it out on the radbrads channel on youtube.

Actually just went to his channel and he has the first part of the remastered version on his channel.Looks pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

?;)

use your imagination
    LOL

he is on a matress when we see him again maybe she tied that to the horse somehow:D

F*ck yeah its good.If you dont wanna buy it then check it out on the radbrads channel on youtube.

Hmm I traded in my copy cause of the remastered version was announced so I was like well **** this , I might just wait till TLOU drops in price and then try the dlc then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You realise the DLC which you didn't play clears this all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Kicked off the download from PSN just there. Didn't know we could pre-load the game. Looking forward to having a go on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

wes wrote: »
    Kicked off the download from PSN just there. Didn't know we could pre-load the game. Looking forward to having a go on Friday.

It downloads the full game and on friday we just play it?

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You realise the DLC which you didn't play clears this all up.

I wasn't gonna let that slip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It downloads the full game and on friday we just play it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yes.

Thanks wasnt sure havent been on playstation in a few years! Il take this option!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Since the street dates don't look like they'll be broken and it can be download in advance, this is a great way of getting the game. If preload wasn't available I'd have no choice but to get the disc because it'd take days for it to DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I wasn't gonna let that slip.

Meh. Its addressed within the first .02 seconds of the DLC :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I have to say I'm loving it so far. I made a big mistake in not buying it for the PS3 having many chances to do so. Graphically it's impressive so I can only imagine how well it looked on the past gen. Controls are easy to get used to and going to give the multiplayer a lash later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Joel/Jack approves of TLOU Remastered...

amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Graphically it's significantly better than last gen. That's not to say the PS3 version suffered as a result but it plays much better on PS4 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Got notification from gamestop that my order shipped. Looks like Friday then, unless by some miracle I get it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

TinCool wrote: »
    Got notification from gamestop that my order shipped. Looks like Friday then, unless by some miracle I get it tomorrow

Is that gamestop Ireland or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

tok9 wrote: »
    Is that gamestop Ireland or UK?

UK. I'm living in UK these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is anyone else waiting on delivery from XtraVision? Mine still says Processing, it would want to be in the post to be here for friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Man there's nothing more frustrating that an eejit on your team following you around sprinting after you, giving away your location. Had it I. The game there where the guy did it every round, getting everyone killed in about 30 seconds every time.

Advertisement