Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

It's one interpretation I suppose, but I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Does the world of The Last of Us not leave its inhabitants with the choice of kill or be killed? Can't really judge killing in that world by the standards of the our world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played this for an hour or two last night.
    It looks absolutely gorgeous and if anything makes the game even more immersive. I've finished the PS3 version several times but found myself watching the cutscenes again and there's little touches like the detail in fires that have me unable to skip through & I hate cutscenes.

Started on Survivor which I never fully completed. Taking it incredibly slow, searching every nook and cranny and saving as much ammo/supplies as possible. Fairly sure I saw a Firefly Pendant in a tree but didn't want to waste the bullet bringing it down although I did put one in the guy's head who was crushed under a cabinet.....I'm not a complete monster.

Haven't progessed far but I'm already thinking of some hard sections ahead. Seriously considering backtracking to an earlier save as there's a bullet I fired I'm pretty sure I didn't need to.

Was sceptical about spending the money on a game I had played quite a bit of and not that long ago but early impressions I'm more than happy with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, The Last Of Us: One Night Live was on last night and can be watched here:

Also, Naughty Dog added a secret ending where they did not want anyone filming it and said it would never be shown or revealed in any other media. A description of the ending is below:
    The scene was reportedly written by Druckmann as a "goodbye" to Joel and Ellie, and takes place at Tommy's dam one night after the closing events of the game. Some reports put it at four years later, but the general consensus is broadly "after".
    Joel is talking to Ellie in her room at Tommy's, explaining that Tommy is trying to set him up to marry a girl named Esther. According to various accounts of the scene, Ellie is acting distant and reserved, until Joel pulls out a guitar and sings a song (which Joel's voice actor Troy Baker performed live.) Joel tells Ellie a joke, and the pair laugh together, the tension broken. Joel leaves the guitar with Ellie as a gift, and the scene ends with Ellie alone on her bed, strumming a chord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone get it in store today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

I'm hoping gamestop release early maybe thursday as i'm heading away saturday morning wouldnt mind starting it before i've to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ordered via GameStop UK. Didn't know they didn't accept parcel motel at the time. However, my credit card has being charged. Feeling hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That Carolyn one seems to know a lot about murdering literally hundreds of people and the effect it has on the mind.... I'd stay well clear of her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Timmyctc wrote: »
    That's an awful reason to call up basically any piece of media imo.

Well it's a good point. Naughty Dog's games do suffer from tonal inconsistencies where there's way too much killing. Anyone that isn't affected by the violence Joel goes through would have to be a total sociopath to not feel anything.

However as a reason to mark the game down, it's pretty stupid. Still I'd like to see a developer like Naughty Dog realise that they really don't need as much combat to keep their game just as (perhaps even more so) interesting. Look at how effective the desert sequence was in Uncharted 3. It's unfortunately a hard sell to the people investing in your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ordered via GameStop UK. Didn't know they didn't accept parcel motel at the time. However, my credit card has being charged. Feeling hopeful!

Me too, why'd they let it go through if they don't accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Here's hoping Gamestop ships today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My pre order stuff has been added to downloads - everything but the game.
    Can't pre-download though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well it's a good point. Naughty Dog's games do suffer from tonal inconsistencies where there's way too much killing. Anyone that isn't affected by the violence Joel goes through would have to be a total sociopath to not feel anything.

Isn't the whole point that the relationship between Joel and Ellie in effect reawakens his ability to feel and bond with another person but at the end of a game
    Joel shows that he really doesn't care about the rest of humanity, he only cares about Ellie.

Emotions and human deeds aren't really a zero sum equation and to think of them as such is a bit reductive. I thought we'd be a bit more used to the notion of the anti-hero at this stage. But I'd agree with you, it's a lot more jarring in the Uncharted series. 'What's that? There's twenty henchman coming at me? Let's spray them all with bullets!' Not that I really mind mowing them all done. I do pet my dog afterwards though…

I thought it was handled better in the Last of Us in that you're in a kill or be killed situation from all sides and there were plenty of times you could use stealth and avoid killing anyone if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Santry gamestop said to me its not out till friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

True, but they never really ignore it. Both Jak X and Uncharted 2 had moments where you were facing off with the villian and calling them a murderer, only to have them turn around and say "Murderer? C'mere to me now, how many feckin' people did you kill to get to me? You're no better."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm fairly sure we have indeed been lumped in with the UK, and we'll also be waiting till Friday :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

For better or worse we're always lumped in with the UK when it comes to releases be it games dvd's etc

jones wrote: »
    For better or worse we're always lumped in with the UK when it comes to releases be it games dvd's etc

We used to get albums released a couple of days before the UK because of the way our charts were compiled. Doubt that applies to games though.

X training vision gave in.. jesus I am so excited loading now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm sorry what

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Isn't the whole point that the relationship between Joel and Ellie in effect reawakens his ability to feel and bond with another person but at the end of a game
    Joel shows that he really doesn't care about the rest of humanity, he only cares about Ellie.

That's not really how sociopathy works. You just don't get better all of a sudden, you are born with it.
    True, but they never really ignore it. Both Jak X and Uncharted 2 had moments where you were facing off with the villian and calling them a murderer, only to have them turn around and say "Murderer? C'mere to me now, how many feckin' people did you kill to get to me? You're no better."

Doesn't make it right though.

To be honest this is a much bigger problem that pretty much every violent game that tries to be realistic falls into. In games you have to make certain concessions to make the game fun, another example is the problems with the enemy AI not seeing other AI partners. It looks stupid and shouldn't be like that but ultimately ND made the decision to not fix that to make it a fun game (and as someone that has done some AI work fixing that problem would have been a nightmare). Sure it's worth pointing out but TLOU is hardly unique in this regard and it's unfair to mark it down when it works well as a game which imo is far more important than the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

However as a reason to mark the game down, it's pretty stupid. Still I'd like to see a developer like Naughty Dog realise that they really don't need as much combat to keep their game just as (perhaps even more so) interesting. Look at how effective the desert sequence was in Uncharted 3. It's unfortunately a hard sell to the people investing in your game.

I'd agree with your point if we were talking about Uncharted. But in TLOU, society has evolved and killing is now a more normal, expected thing to do to survive. I don't think there is anything inconsistent or absurd about the about of killing that happens in it.

Regardless of that. Killing doesn't make you incapable of love. It's a stupid point that can't be definitively stated by anyone. It's one of those arguments where the person is 100% wrong, but you can't really argue too much because they just call it their opinion.
    That's not really how sociopathy works. You just don't get better all of a sudden, you are born with it.

Joel clearly wasn't born a sociopath though. He lived a normal life, with a job, and a daughter up until the world went to ****. And he had to evolve with it or die.

Tbf, I never said he was a sociopath and the first couple minutes of the game are in the game purely to show what has made Joel a cold hearted survivor and why he is initially reluctant to have anything to do with Ellie.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm sorry what

Xtra vision broke street date

Lads it's a game play it and enjoy it ffs why do people have to overcomplicate games

Lads it's a game play it and enjoy it ffs why do people have to overcomplicate games

Discussing a game isn't allowed? Let people discuss the story if they want..

Discussing a game isn't allowed? Let people discuss the story if they want..

Of course it's allowed who said it wasn't? Ever consider not all of us care about that though?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's pre-downloading 11GB on my PS4 now.
    42GB file size in total according to my system storage.

Of course it's allowed who said it wasn't? Ever consider not all of us care about that though?

Then don't join in the discussion rather than criticize people who are discussing it?

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's pre-downloading 11GB on my PS4 now.
    42GB file size in total according to my system storage.

You get it on the us store?

Advertisement