Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Anyone happen to check HMV Henry street to see if they're the same?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You get it on the us store?

No, Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 'too much violence' argument has been had before. The Last of Us has too much combat - some silly bits like the bizarrely unnecessary and tonally misjudged sniper section that add nothing to the game other than bloating up the running time.

But generally I don't think there's a disconnect between story and character in the game - quite the opposite. If the game does fall into the common trap of lots and lots of shooting and sneaking (perhaps the greatest flaw with many, many otherwise great games these days), ND are also at pains to ensure it doesn't clash with the narrative. Whereas Nathan Drake's nice guy, pacifist attitude in cutscenes jarred with the mass murderer of the gameplay to the point of dissonance, Joel's characterisation as a grizzled survivor who knows, due to years of experience, what he has to do to stay alive makes much more sense. I also had little trouble believing he retained some subconscious empathy given his personal history, and therefore the relationship with Ellie felt fully credible even as the bodies piled up.

The Last of Us has the same excess of combat as Uncharted so. I wish Naughty Dog experimented with more types of actual 'play' than another low walled arena. The significant difference between the two games, however, is that the Last of Us' violence is significantly more justified thanks to the story's worlds and characters. Game and story feel like a couple as opposed to a completely separate entity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Of course it's allowed who said it wasn't? Ever consider not all of us care about that though?

Well, public discussion forums are about discussion, so yeah we're not going to stop.

If you don't care, then feel free to not read it or not reply. Then everyone can be free to not care that someone else doesn't care ;) Frankly, I'm delighted how lively and engaged this thread has been about this game after release. Hopefully it kick off again when some new people play through the game over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Damn, I'd forgotten just how much I loved the multiplayer. So good. Has exactly what I look for in a multiplayer mode. Love the more deliberate pace. It was my favourite multiplayer of the last generation I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's pre-downloading 11GB on my PS4 now.
    42GB file size in total according to my system storage.

Is preloading working on the Irish store now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Purchasing my PS4 on Friday finally, have been waiting for the bundle with this game, cant wait to get stuck into it, never played it on last gen as was an xbox man, hopefully I wont be dissapointed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well, public discussion forums are about discussion, so yeah we're not going to stop.

If you don't care, then feel free to not read it or not reply. Then everyone can be free to not care that someone else doesn't care ;) Frankly, I'm delighted how lively and engaged this thread has been about this game after release. Hopefully it kick off again when some new people play through the game over the coming weeks.
    ok ;)

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It was my favourite multiplayer of the last generation I'd say.

MAG says hello(imo).

MAG says hello(imo).

Oh yeah, I loved MAG too, Last of Us still just shades it for me. I really liked the Assassin's Creed multiplayer too. Anything that allows me to be sneaky!

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Is preloading working on the Irish store now?

It is indeed.

14589742027_37cdf21356.jpg

EDIT:
    NotorietyH wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I loved MAG too, Last of Us still just shades it for me. I really liked the Assassin's Creed multiplayer too. Anything that allows me to be sneaky!

You probably enjoyed MGO so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Dark Knight... how much was it in Xtra Vision?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

tok9 wrote: »
    Dark Knight... how much was it in Xtra Vision?

I am a lying cnut I apologise lol but I have been hammering calls to all shops to try get it today

Ban request.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Purchasing my PS4 on Friday finally, have been waiting for the bundle with this game, cant wait to get stuck into it, never played it on last gen as was an xbox man, hopefully I wont be dissapointed!!

I have seen some people saying it was a good game but not blown away by it or even disappointed. There was significant hype for it prior to release on the PS3 and we've all been let down by over hyped games in the past.

Have to say it absolutely blew me way on the PS3 and I loved it. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close in my opinion. I envy anyone playing it for the first time on the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah bollix sake, went into my XV but told delivery didn't arrive yet, might be Thursday. Sound man DK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

So is this available to buy and play on irish ps4 now? Not sure what posts to trust after DK hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I am a lying cnut I apologise lol but I have been hammering calls to all shops to try get it today

It wasn't actually for me but why would you say that!

Even more ridiculous considering you gave out about the discussion in here.

So is this available to buy and play on irish ps4 now? Not sure what posts to trust after DK hahaha

You can download it in advance on the Irish store, but it won't unlock until the 1st.

I got mine on the US PS Store. Other good thing about that is the download is a bit smaller as I assume it doesn't have as many languages and all that in it.
    You probably enjoyed MGO so.

I did, didn't play a whole lot of it, think just when it was in beta. Can't remember why I never got into it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tbf, I never said he was a sociopath and the first couple minutes of the game are in the game purely to show what has made Joel a cold hearted survivor and why he is initially reluctant to have anything to do with Ellie.
    The 'too much violence' argument has been had before. The Last of Us has too much combat - some silly bits like the bizarrely unnecessary and tonally misjudged sniper section that add nothing to the game other than bloating up the running time.

But generally I don't think there's a disconnect between story and character in the game - quite the opposite. If the game does fall into the common trap of lots and lots of shooting and sneaking (perhaps the greatest flaw with many, many otherwise great games these days), ND are also at pains to ensure it doesn't clash with the narrative. Whereas Nathan Drake's nice guy, pacifist attitude in cutscenes jarred with the mass murderer of the gameplay to the point of dissonance, Joel's characterisation as a grizzled survivor who knows, due to years of experience, what he has to do to stay alive makes much more sense. I also had little trouble believing he retained some subconscious empathy given his personal history, and therefore the relationship with Ellie felt fully credible even as the bodies piled up.

The Last of Us has the same excess of combat as Uncharted so. I wish Naughty Dog experimented with more types of actual 'play' than another low walled arena. The significant difference between the two games, however, is that the Last of Us' violence is significantly more justified thanks to the story's worlds and characters. Game and story feel like a couple as opposed to a completely separate entity.

The problem isn't the violence it's the sheer amount of it in the game. Joel kills a ridiculous amount of people over the course of the game. If he even killed a twentieth or those people in those situations he'd either be severely affected mentally or be a sociopath, Joel is neither.

It's probably a moot point looking for realism in the game (or any game) considering how bad the science is behind it and well I think looking for but it is still a little bit silly in that regard if you go for the realistic depiction. I still found it a bit jarring. Joel pretty much out does Arnie in Commando.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My problem with the game is that gameplay and cutscene do not mix well if it did it would of been better for Ellie to be like Ashley in resident evil 4 or the girl from ico if she is spotted the enemy will try to get her and its your job to either A. tell Ellie to hide or b if they get her kill emeny to save her.

Ellie would be right there in the open , or tess and they enemy will not take notice and always go directly for you. That tells me the only focus for ellie for being around is to move the story when it needs to.

My other complaint was I never cared about Joel and Ellie relationship to one another as I felt there relationship was fake and unrealistic to me and felt tacked on. There is some powerful scenes outside of theres that was done tremendously but I feel less inclined to believe better moments in how they act to one another when the real award winning moments are given to the side characters and Ellie herself.

I would of preferred a better craft system than what was given , combat take it for what it is never pushed the boundaries and like most Naughty Dog games the infinite burst of spawning enemies felt out of place .

TLOU is a game I really dd enjoy in the end but there seems to be too many praises and 10s it gets when there are issues with the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I thought Joel was relatively normal and then the scene
    where he tortured two of David's men
    happened and I thought "Oh dear, that's not quite right"

In fairness there's a lot of killing in the game but it's a game. I'm not concerned about realism in my games or movies.

I generally hate games where you have to "protect" some secondary character and thought they got how Ellie was controlled/interacted with the gameplay spot on. Also thought the relationship element between the two main characters and how it developed was well told and crafted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Arra Jaysus, you could potentially have had people driving into towns to get a copy in Xtra Vision, wasting money on things like parking over pure bullshít.

Some people :rolleyes:

Arra Jaysus, you could potentially have had people driving into towns to get a copy in Xtra Vision, wasting money on things like parking over pure bullshít.

Some people :rolleyes:

I was on the verge of driving in town to try HMV, lucky I checked the thread :mad:

Tried HMV there, they said they were going to match the US release date too, but their stock was delayed. It's a Friday release for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I would of preferred a better craft system than what was given , combat take it for what it is never pushed the boundaries and like most Naughty Dog games the infinite burst of spawning enemies felt out of place .

I might be picking you up wrong but I don't recall any area with spawning enemies besides maybe the sniper section. There was always a set number of enemies that you had to deal with in any area iirc. I played it through on normal so maybe it's different on hard.

The sniper section, along with the
    hanging upside down
    part, were really the only parts I didn't enjoy that much in the game as they really took me out of it and were irritating rather than challenging.
    Tbf, if the human race was in trouble before they started on that journey, there couldn't have been hardly any of them left by the end of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think Resi 4's method of 'throw Ashley in a dumpster' would sit well in Last of Us.

I might be picking you up wrong but I don't recall any area with spawning enemies besides maybe the sniper section. There was always a set number of enemies that you had to deal with in any area iirc. I played it through on normal so maybe it's different on hard.

The sniper section, along with the
    hanging upside down
    part, were really the only parts I didn't enjoy that much in the game as they really took me out of it and were irritating rather than challenging.
    Tbf, if the human race was in trouble before they started on that journey, there couldn't have been hardly any of them left by the end of it.

its quite small but when it happened it was kinda annoying

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't think Resi 4's method of 'throw Ashley in a dumpster' would sit well in Last of Us.
    Would of made me happy

Advertisement