Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem isn't the violence it's the sheer amount of it in the game. Joel kills a ridiculous amount of people over the course of the game. If he even killed a twentieth or those people in those situations he'd either be severely affected mentally or be a sociopath, Joel is neither.

I think you're comparing how people react to things in our world, to how they would in the world of TLOU. They're completely different, people react differently and it's survival of the fittest. In this case it seems the fittest are those who are unphased by the violence.

One of the reasons I think that
    Joel refused to let Ellie die is becaues he felt humanity was beyond saving.
    The majority of people were violent killers.

I am a lying cnut I apologise lol but I have been hammering calls to all shops to try get it today
    LOL Basher you troll :D

Half the lads in here driving into town :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you're comparing how people react to things in our world, to how they would in the world of TLOU. They're completely different, people react differently and it's survival of the fittest. In this case it seems the fittest are those who are unphased by the violence.

One of the reasons I think that Joel refused to let Ellie die is becaues he felt humanity was beyond saving. The majority of people were violent killers.

Agreed. Someone like Joel, you can't apply typical morals and psychology to because from living in that world for 20 years, it's a completely different mindset. He doesn't enjoy the killing but he will kill.

That's different when compared to someone like Nathan Drake who is just a stone cold killer because TREASURE!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of the reasons I think that Joel refused to let Ellie die is becaues he felt humanity was beyond saving. The majority of people were violent killers.

No people react the same. I doesn't matter what environment you are in you're going to be pretty much mentally unhinged in some way after going through trauma like that. Well that's what my limited psychology knowledge says.

Anyway the big sticking point isn't how Joel reacts but how ridiculous the huge amount of killing Joel does. It's fine for a power trip game but something that's trying to be taken seriously it's jarring. Anyway as said that problems isn't going to be solved overnight until a developer is brave enough to try it and succeed and the industry matures as a result. One big problem is there's no denying these types of power trip games are fun and will be around as long as games are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Children of men which TLOU took alot off got it right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I could have sworn I've read this debate before..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I can understand it in other games but I personally thought TLOU pretty close.

How many people would Joel be allowed to kill and still love someone? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Children of men which TLOU took alot off got it right

Two completely different mediums though with completely different levels of interaction. I don't think you compare them as they are both different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

No people react the same. I doesn't matter what environment you are in you're going to be pretty much mentally unhinged in some way after going through trauma like that. Well that's what my limited psychology knowledge says.

We'll agree to disagree so. Neither of us can definitely say either without actually being there.
    tok9 wrote: »

How many people would Joel be allowed to kill and still love someone? :pac:

Infinite. There is no connection between being able to love someone/something and having to kill to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Two completely different mediums though with completely different levels of interaction. I don't think you compare them as they are both different experiences.

two completely different mediums yes but telling the same stories

if you accept it and treat it different than movies which videogames are trying to be nowadays it will never be accepted outside of people who enjoy videogames.

you just end up like kojima :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anyway the big sticking point isn't how Joel reacts but how ridiculous the huge amount of killing Joel does. It's fine for a power trip game but something that's trying to be taken seriously it's jarring. Anyway as said that problems isn't going to be solved overnight until a developer is brave enough to try it and succeed and the industry matures as a result. One big problem is there's no denying these types of power trip games are fun and will be around as long as games are.

Naturally, someone who has been living in an environment like that over twenty years is going to have a host of psychological problems and tbf you're not really thinking about that when you're shanking a clicker but I think most people were saying that in relation to the gamespot review it's a bit silly to suggest that a person that is capable of killing isn't capable of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

My problem with the game is that gameplay and cutscene do not mix well if it did it would of been better for Ellie to be like Ashley in resident evil 4 or the girl from ico if she is spotted the enemy will try to get her and its your job to either A. tell Ellie to hide or b if they get her kill emeny to save her.

Ellie would be right there in the open , or tess and they enemy will not take notice and always go directly for you. That tells me the only focus for ellie for being around is to move the story when it needs to.

My other complaint was I never cared about Joel and Ellie relationship to one another as I felt there relationship was fake and unrealistic to me and felt tacked on. There is some powerful scenes outside of theres that was done tremendously but I feel less inclined to believe better moments in how they act to one another when the real award winning moments are given to the side characters and Ellie herself.

I would of preferred a better craft system than what was given , combat take it for what it is never pushed the boundaries and like most Naughty Dog games the infinite burst of spawning enemies felt out of place .

TLOU is a game I really dd enjoy in the end but there seems to be too many praises and 10s it gets when there are issues with the game.

this is gonna be a problem moving forward in games I think

people say the last of us is boring in the first few sections after the intro

then in TR people say its too fast paced after the intro and the killing begins way to quickly

its a thing that the games are just gonna have to have IMO story that does not match the gunplay of what your killing in uncharted for example

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Arra Jaysus, you could potentially have had people driving into towns to get a copy in Xtra Vision, wasting money on things like parking over pure bullshít.

Some people :rolleyes:
    Dan now come on who wouldn't pick up a phone before driving anywhere.. Some people me hole ;)

Lads in all fairness any big release I say the exact same thing re getting it early. Nobody said anything on the thread like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dan now come on who wouldn't pick up a phone before driving anywhere.. Some people me hole ;)

Lads in all fairness any big release I say the exact same thing re getting it early. Nobody said anything on the thread like.

Why on earth would you say it for any big release?

RasTa wrote: »
    Why on earth would you say it for any big release?

Just for the reaction no harm in it. It's normally funny and people comment away and tbh I'm not only one that does it for a rise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think all it comes down to is a poor writer trying to get page views and a name by writing something controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Ray, if you don't see how what you said could have put people out, then there's no point continuing this conversation.

"People should ring the store" is just a cop out tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just for the reaction no harm in it. It's normally funny and people comment away and tbh I'm not only one that does it for a rise

Going to have to request that you don't do it again in future - what you've admitted there is basically trolling! Lots of people use this forum as a legitimate place for info on whether a game is being sold or not, so you could well be putting people out (and trust me, not many people will find that particularly amusing). Respect your fellow posters and all that
    :)

Anyway, hopefully we can all leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I'm fairly sure that's the definition of trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I think all it comes down to is a poor writer trying to get page views and a name by writing something controversial.

Retro thats every post you make LoL :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I nearly hopped in the car for the 8k round trip for my Xtravision pre order, glad I read the end of the thread now... :D

Retro thats every post you make LoL :rolleyes:

I take offense at that, I'm a fantastic writer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My problem with the game is that gameplay and cutscene do not mix well if it did it would of been better for Ellie to be like Ashley in resident evil 4 or the girl from ico if she is spotted the enemy will try to get her and its your job to either A. tell Ellie to hide or b if they get her kill emeny to save her.

Ellie would be right there in the open , or tess and they enemy will not take notice and always go directly for you. That tells me the only focus for ellie for being around is to move the story when it needs to.

The game certainly has its limitations. Most definitely there's something very immersion breaking about Ellie whispering loudly behind you and a Clicker not noticing, when even a slightly less soft footstep from Joel will see insta-death. I had plenty of concerns - some minor and a few major - with the game overall.

But your alternative suggestions would have been extremely disappointing if they were implemented. It would be the same old, bog standard 'damsel in distress' situation we've seen played out in dozens of games, great and not so great. The Last of Us actually plays around with those stereotypes, and even reverses traditional roles several times. And it does so through gameplay, not just cut scenes. Throughout the game the co-op puzzles (as basic as they might be) and the like forge the relationship between Joel and Ellie, and what you / Joel does is clearly impacting on Ellie. This all culminates quite cleverly in the section where
    you take control of Ellie
    , and you're able to see how Joel's actions throughout the game have affected and 'educated' her. The familiar roles of Ico and the like have been switched around, and Ellie is far more than an utterly helpless, defenseless girl. She's actually grown as a character, which is a lot more than Yorda does - and I say that as someone who firmly believes Ico is one of the greatest games ever made. Even when the roles switch once again,
    the way Joel 'saves' Ellie is altogether different and less 'heroic' than similar relationships have ever played out in games.
    Hell, even Children of Men didn't go that direction, ending instead on the old
    heroic sacrifice

It could have done with a few less floating palette and ladder puzzles :)

I can see why naughty dog went the way they did with the enemy AI not seeing the characters. It is immersion breaking but the alternative is the AI partner making you lose due to alerting enemies through no fault on the players part. Well either that or cleverer AI which I don't think would be possible in the time frame they had. If they went the other way with dumb AI getting you killed all the time then you'd have a hard time connecting with those characters. It's a pity a more elegant solution wasn't found, perhaps they are working towards it in an upcoming title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Where do I buy US PSN credit?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Where do I buy US PSN credit?

In the US ;)

Sorry had to say that lol there's a site for buying it ill have a look now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not gonna lie, pretty tempted.... get it early, cant be stupid and trade it in.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, pretty tempted.... get it early, cant be stupid and trade it in.....

Same. I am very tempted, but do I really want it... I played it on Ps3 and I got sort of bored not even half way in. I love zombie/survival games ( feck off, they are zomebies, I wont go in to this argument :pac: ), but LOU did not hooked me up.

50eu is a very tempting price for trying it out one more time.

Advertisement