Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Actually, before I unfollow, I entered the Sights and Sounds code into my PS3. It showed the content (2 avatars, a dynamic theme and full digital soundtrack). To be honest, I wouldn't change my avatar or background and as good as the music is, wouldn't listen to the soundtrack.

I pressed O instead of continue so I think the code can still be used.

Anyone (who actually liked the game and would use these) want to try it and take it?

I would love to! I thought the soundtrack was fantastic and would definitely listen to it again. Can I have it (unless someone else already has)?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

C14N wrote: »
    I would love to! I thought the soundtrack was fantastic and would definitely listen to it again. Can I have it (unless someone else already has)?

PM'd you with the code there. Hope it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Best selling new IP in the UK since LA Noire. :D
    Well deserved. No stats released for other countries yet but I'm sure it did well globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭pedatron

Just 41% through it now, it's very bloody good. The acting is superb. Controls can be fiddly in places especially when you have a bunch of enemies on top of you, though that's probably more to do with me freaking out than anything else. It's rough going, whether it's the tension from sneaking around clickers or the story itself I do find myself having to turn it off every now and then because it's a little overwhelming. I'm playing it on hard so I'd imagine normal is probably a lot less intense. Enjoying the **** out of it though, think it deserves the ten for sure.

I was the same as you. So brilliantly tense I had to turn it off for a bit. Had a weird glitch the first time I played it that my game was stuck on it saying that it was auto-saving all the time. Turns out it wasn't and I had to replay the firt 3 hours again last night. Frustrating. :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just 41% through it now, it's very bloody good. The acting is superb. Controls can be fiddly in places especially when you have a bunch of enemies on top of you, though that's probably more to do with me freaking out than anything else. It's rough going, whether it's the tension from sneaking around clickers or the story itself I do find myself having to turn it off every now and then because it's a little overwhelming. I'm playing it on hard so I'd imagine normal is probably a lot less intense. Enjoying the **** out of it though, think it deserves the ten for sure.

I felt depressed after playing it on Friday .

• Advertisement

I felt depressed after playing it on Friday .

I'm still depressed two days later :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

about 10 hours through the game with 61% complete , this to me is the most important game in terms of story telling in videogames since half life 2.

Bold as that statement maybe, Naughty Dog are at the top of their craft and i applaud each and every individual who worked on this game and not to forget to mention the voice actors/actresses and Gustavo Santaolalla for the poetic musical notes he composed that each chord gives a pierce/shiver to my heart and my very soul.

I have explored each and every door and narrow hallway and listened to the echos of the deserted streets and towns, read every note and absorbed the very nature of the last of us world.

This is the benchmark to story telling to me and to see the playstation 3 lifecycle come to an end with this title it really is absolutely worthwhile.

There are no heroes , no bad guys and no self reward. Mankind Destruction remains shows the only people are left are the ones who cling onto hope or do anything to survive.

This is 10/10 game for me and while we are currently stll in the middle of june , it going to take something really special to me to take the game of the year spot away from Naughty Dog.

I have dabbled into the Multiplayer and it quite excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is anyone else having problems with the listen mode? Mine doesnt work all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

The storytelling in this is phenomenal, definitely a "10/10", but...the game-play, the thing that makes it a video-game, is just like every other AAA third person shooter. Difference is they do such a good job of making you care for the characters, playing the game becomes a more emotional, tense and exciting experience than most other games, so the two things aren't mutually exclusive and well done to ND for that. I want more

But for a game that's being talked about as the best of this generation i was hoping for it to do a little more. The levelling/weapons system is just there, i didn't get any satisfaction from it...there's no variety to the stealth kills...and it uses the same cheap game mechanics over and over(ladders and crates). I'm not even sure that I want to play through it again, although i'll devour whatever DLC they release.

The worry about this heading into the next-gen is we'll see more copycat games, that don't pay attention to what makes this game great, the story, and we end up a never-ending stream of crap empty experiences like the latest Tomb Raider.

Anyway, if they do another game, which they surely will, I hope it's a prequel.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with the listen mode? Mine doesnt work all the time.

It only works when you can actually hear the people. It won't show you people 20m away that you can't hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

el dude wrote: »
    The storytelling in this is phenomenal, definitely a "10/10", but...the game-play, the thing that makes it a video-game, is just like every other AAA third person shooter. Difference is they do such a good job of making you care for the characters, playing the game becomes a more emotional, tense and exciting experience than most other games, so the two things aren't mutually exclusive and well done to ND for that. I want more

But for a game that's being talked about as the best of this generation i was hoping for it to do a little more. The levelling/weapons system is just there, i didn't get any satisfaction from it...there's no variety to the stealth kills...and it uses the same cheap game mechanics over and over(ladders and crates). I'm not even sure that I want to play through it again, although i'll devour whatever DLC they release.

The worry about this heading into the next-gen is we'll see more copycat games, that don't pay attention to what makes this game great, the story, and we end up a never-ending stream of crap empty experiences like the latest Tomb Raider.

Anyway, if they do another game, which they surely will, I hope it's a prequel.

On the ladder and crate thing. I have to agree, it's the one area of the game design which felt a little lazy but this is what got me thinking. In other games you accept this as normal and you move through these sections without giving it a second thought. In TLOU, every ladder or movable object stood out like a sore thumb because the rest of the game is such a flawless craft of immersion and narrative.

It's a pity as they definitely broke the spell every so often but it's a testament to how good the rest of the game really is when these are so distracting when they pop up. In the vast majority of other games you wouldn't stop to pass comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Played through more than half the matches needed for the first gold multiplayer trophy :D not that hard, but it is time consuming. And you need to be, at least reasonably not bad :p very good multiplayer though, far better than uncharteds I'd argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It only works when you can actually hear the people. It won't show you people 20m away that you can't hear.

Are you sure, because I have seen videos of gameplay and the listening mode should appear whenever you press L2 regardless of whether there is someone there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think he means, listen mode always work when you hold the button. But it won't actually show you anything unless there's an enemy/ally in your vicinity to hear.

Are you sure, because I have seen videos of gameplay and the listening mode should appear whenever you press L2 regardless of whether there is someone there

Its R2, and it'll appear, it just won't highlight any enemies unless they are actually making noise that you can hear.

You hold R2 and yes it only detects enemies that are currently making noise. It won't show hidden stalkers or humans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

What difficulty is everyone else playing this on? I'm 16 hours in on hard, and I'm sorry I didnt play through on survivor as its pretty manageable at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'm really starting to like the multiplayer more and more. Like a more tactical version of Uncharted's multiplayer. With a bit of patience, and taking your time you can really be stealthy. Flanking opponents while they're distracted by your team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

What difficulty is everyone else playing this on? I'm 16 hours in on hard, and I'm sorry I didnt play through on survivor as its pretty manageable at the moment.

But you can't pick survivor without finishing it on hard first

weiland79 wrote: »
    But you can't pick survivor without finishing it on hard first

Really? I didnt check that, well thats fine so. :)

But then whats Hard+ and Survivor+ about?

• Advertisement

Really? I didnt check that, well thats fine so. :)

But then whats Hard+ and Survivor+ about?

You get to play from the start with all your previous weapons and upgrades from your last playthrough.

I found it a little too easy on hard myself, would have preferred to have survivor available from the go but I'm going to do a survivor play through soon so I'm glad I have a reason to revisit . Supplies were plentiful to the point where I was full a lot of the time which I didn't expect.

Finished it in just over 15 hours, taking time to do and see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I can't wait to get out of work today as I have this waiting for me when I get home. After hearing everyone talk about it I just can't wait get home and get stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paradisepaddy

When you complete the single player is there an open world you can rummage through again or is it the exact same story just choosing different difficulty levels which i'm guessing may get old?

Multiplayer looks ok I guess but thinking along the lines of red dead redemption's undead nightmare. To me this was just as much fun playing it after I finished the game.

Big Knox wrote: »
    I found it a little too easy on hard myself, would have preferred to have survivor available from the go but I'm going to do a survivor play through soon so I'm glad I have a reason to revisit . Supplies were plentiful to the point where I was full a lot of the time which I didn't expect.

Same here, I prefer not to use ammo where possible. Choke out everyone I can, and stealth kill with the bow collecting the arrow afterwards. Only using molotovs when I'm sure I can catch 2-3 enemies in the blast. I ended up crafting stuff just to use up inventory, most of the time my supplies were full. Exploring each area fully before moving on as well.

Really taking my time with this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Big Knox wrote: »

I've come across at least two doors so far that i haven't been able to open cause i've been short the necassary supplies to make a shiv. I assume this is the case for most right? Playing on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sometimes enemies wouldn't show up but I think this was because they didn't make any noise. Sometimes the game won't spawn them either until you move forward enough or killed some of the existing enemies.
    el dude wrote: »
    it uses the same cheap game mechanics over and over(ladders and crates).

In fairness, they seem to sort of break the fourth wall and acknowledge this. I might be remembering this incorrectly but at one point in the game, Joel is giving Ellie a boost up to a ledge and
    says "okay now just-" and Ellie interrupts and says something like "I know, get the f**king ladder".
    At another point, after
    Ellie mutilates David, you go up to the wall and Joel gets in the same position to give Ellie a boost as usual except then she doesn't come over and you see Joel's surprise
    . I just thought subverting it like that made the previous times more worthwhile.

I didn't notice until the end credits that David was voiced by Nolan North. I didn't recognise him at all, have to say that it shows how versatile a voice actor North can be.

Pro tip (meant to mention this earlier): If you come up to a shiv door and have a shiv, use it. Those places are jackpots and there's usually nearly enough materials inside to make another shiv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just starting up my Hard+ save. F*ck me; that opening scene..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Whats the difference in difficulties?

Is it just enemy awareness, strength or does it affect supplies etc?
    I'm going to play this mainly for the story so tempted to start off on a lower difficulty level but just wondering is it possible to raise it or lower it mid game?

• Advertisement

Whats the difference in difficulties?

Is it just enemy awareness, strength or does it affect supplies etc?
    I'm going to play this mainly for the story so tempted to start off on a lower difficulty level but just wondering is it possible to raise it or lower it mid game?

You can lower it mid game but you cant raise it, I think. Play through on hard, its not that difficult. I'd imagine the difference in difficulty effects damage recieved and inflicted, and the amount of supplies available.

Advertisement