Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm watching the walkthrough on Youtube.....like watching a movie and saving me 60 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I'm watching the walkthrough on Youtube.....like watching a movie and saving me 60 quid!

Are you off your head?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Not the same experience.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Are you off your head?!

Not a big fan of zombies, but the acting is superb....and these are CGI characters! :eek: . voice acting superb. Pretty sure i've seen the actress who does Tess on tv before, they modeled the CGI character after her.

So i prefer to watch it than play it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Not a big fan of zombies

They are infected not zombies!

Got as far as the
    forest overlooking the town (after escaping capitol building)
    and its been great so far. Really starting to hate the clickers and also after realizing my stealth skills suck so it's been a mass murder to get here!

Been playing this with my Sony pulse headset and is easily the best sounding game I've played using them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Not a big fan of zombies, but the acting is superb....and these are CGI characters! :eek: . voice acting superb. Pretty sure i've seen the actress who does Tess on tv before, they modeled the CGI character after her.

Do you mean the person who voices tess or strictly the mo-cap? The voice actor was in 24. Tess

EDIT: nurrmand they the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

They are infected not zombies!.

This is true although there isn't a huge difference, especially in terms of gameplay. The story never specifies that the infected are actually dead (unlike zombies who are people that die and then reanimate) and it seems that it simply drives them feral instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The gameplay actually ties into the character development in a subtlety meaningful way. The whole ending will lose some of its impact by not having built that up by just watching it. Half the reason this is such an incredible piece of story-telling is the way they manage to have the gameplay be a significant part of the narrative and character development. This isn't one of those games where the cut-scenes are disconnected from the gameplay and you can get the gist just watching a walk through. It's like someone telling you the plot of a book beat by beat. You just lose that connection you have with the characters.

I nearly find it borderline offensive someone just watching a walk through!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

NotorietyH wrote: »

Agreed. This game is a masterpiece. Watching a walk through is an insult and you're only doing yourself an injustice by doing this. I'm actually not looking forward to finishing this game because I dont want it to end.

I just thinking, like....comparing this to Citizen Kane, imo....is borderline offensive!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    This is true although there isn't a huge difference, especially in terms of gameplay. The story never specifies that the infected are actually dead (unlike zombies who are people that die and then reanimate) and it seems that it simply drives them feral instead.

A rose by any other name...

They were 'infected' as well in 28 days later.

I just thinking, like....comparing this to Citizen Kane, imo....is borderline offensive!

Really why? I'd be really interested to hear the opinion of someone who hasn't even played the game on that matter. When was the last time you saw Citizen Kane by the way?

Don't worry I'm not getting into that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommay

NotorietyH wrote: »

You find it offensive that someone would rather not buy a game that doesn't really appeal to them and so instead watch it on Youtube instead of spending the money. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A rose by any other name...

They were 'infected' as well in 28 days later.

What if the rose has completely different attributes?

The infected in The Last Of Us are either runners (zombies don't, or at least shouldn't, run) or clickers who cannot see but detect you by the sound you make (AFAIK zombies do not do this either). The infected are also not dead (unlike zombies).

How exactly are they similar?

Nobody compared it with Citizen Kane exactly. The quote was that this could be the Citizen Kane momentof Gaming. I.e. a "gamechanger" so to speak.

Tommay wrote: »
    You find it offensive that someone would rather not buy a game that doesn't really appeal to them and so instead watch it on Youtube instead of spending the money. Whatever.

I did say nearly, and my point was that the story-telling is so good, that someone just watching it on youtube is really diminishing the value of it. The same as if someone read the cliff notes of a novel and claimed it was just as good an experience. It's just a lack of respect for the work.

It was just a glib, off the cuff remark by the way. I wasn't actually offended. I exaggerated to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Any chance of this coming out on PC?

MadYaker wrote: »

Nope. Naughty Dog are Sony owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

I'm struggling with my final opinion on this. As I played through it I loved every second of it. I had my girlfriend and sister sitting over my shoulder for every minute of it, watching it like a movie. When I got to the end, I couldn't help but feel like it was the best game that I'd ever played. But now, after a couple of days away from it, doubt sets in. I don't feel like it's that great anymore, because even though I will go back and play it on survivor mode, the main appeal of it all in the first place was the story, which won't really be as present on a second playthrough. Another poster here mentioned not wanting it to end. I felt exactly the same. I didn't want the story to be over. I can see the possibility of a sequel, or even a prequel as some have said, but right now I'm left with a big hole in my heart that I feel nothing will be able to fill for a long long time. And yes I know every story driven game has an end. I just feel there was something missing that I can't yet put my finger on. Perhaps if it was a little more open world with the choice of side quests? But then again that could have destroyed the main story. It's a tough one alright, but that's just my thoughts on it all. Oh well, back to League of Legends I guess for now. :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Zero. Its a first party Sony title. No first party titles appear on other formats unless its an MMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Finished it today.

Overall it's an excellent game but I agree with people who say there is nothing new with the gameplay, infact it's pretty much been all done before many times.

The ending really impressed me

Tommay wrote: »

It obviously appeals to him seeing as he is going to the trouble of watching it on youtube.

MadYaker wrote: »

Not until they figure out how to emulate PS3 on PC.
    422nd wrote: »
    I'm struggling with my final opinion on this. As I played through it I loved every second of it. I had my girlfriend and sister sitting over my shoulder for every minute of it, watching it like a movie. When I got to the end, I couldn't help but feel like it was the best game that I'd ever played. But now, after a couple of days away from it, doubt sets in. I don't feel like it's that great anymore, because even though I will go back and play it on survivor mode, the main appeal of it all in the first place was the story, which won't really be as present on a second playthrough. Another poster here mentioned not wanting it to end. I felt exactly the same. I didn't want the story to be over. I can see the possibility of a sequel, or even a prequel as some have said, but right now I'm left with a big hole in my heart that I feel nothing will be able to fill for a long long time. And yes I know every story driven game has an end. I just feel there was something missing that I can't yet put my finger on. Perhaps if it was a little more open world with the choice of side quests? But then again that could have destroyed the main story. It's a tough one alright, but that's just my thoughts on it all. Oh well, back to League of Legends I guess for now. :rolleyes:

First off, I'm the opposite. As I started playing it, I was a little let down by it and I thought that it was more of just a really good game but as I played on and especially since I've finished it, I've become gradually more convinced that it was really something special, at least to me.

Now as for saying "it's heavily story driven so it's more likely to not be as good the second time" I completely disagree. A good, well-told story such as this one warrants repeat plays/views imo, just as much as a good movie or book can be watched or read twice and still be as enjoyable the second time around, if usually in a different way. Personally, I would be more inclined to play again for a game that had a good story than for one that was all about mechanics because at least I'd know when it would end instead of playing it until I get sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

'The Last of Us' grosses more than 'Man of Steel' in opening weekend

Source

py2006 wrote: »

Source

It also sold more than Bioshock Infinite did on both 360 and PS3 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

py2006 wrote: »

Source

The cost of the game> cost of cinema ticket.

It's not really comparable.

Glad to see it selling so well in any case.

Burgo wrote: »

I'm not 100% on this but I think the point is that usually blockbuster films are anticipated to outsell other media I.E. games easily.

Burgo wrote: »

Still, I always seem to be hearing about financial difficulties in the industry so it's nice that a game like this is doing better than one of the big summer blockbusters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone know how much gamestop will give for trading in?for cash?

• Advertisement

It obviously appeals to him seeing as he is going to the trouble of watching it on youtube.

From a story standpoint its engaging to watch, as in like if you're watching a movie. But i wouldn't enjoy playing a game of that genre. Technically it looks great, as stated some superb acting and dialogue.

Thus i prefer it watch it as i would a movie then play it as a game :)

Advertisement