Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone know how much gamestop will give for trading in?for cash?

its only released four days, jaysus!....i'd expect you to get 30-40 for it, but knowing Gamestop........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally decided to get back to this, and have put another 10 hours into it today (minus the 6 i lost...). Just at the part where
    Ellie steals a horse
    , and due to the autosave bug, i'm not enjoying it as much as i was before i lost the 6 hours. Shame to say, because it really is a good game, and the voice acting, mocap, and facial expressions are top notch. But i just feel like i want to get to the end and see what happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

422nd wrote: »
    I'm struggling with my final opinion on this. As I played through it I loved every second of it. I had my girlfriend and sister sitting over my shoulder for every minute of it, watching it like a movie. When I got to the end, I couldn't help but feel like it was the best game that I'd ever played. But now, after a couple of days away from it, doubt sets in. I don't feel like it's that great anymore, because even though I will go back and play it on survivor mode, the main appeal of it all in the first place was the story, which won't really be as present on a second playthrough. Another poster here mentioned not wanting it to end. I felt exactly the same. I didn't want the story to be over. I can see the possibility of a sequel, or even a prequel as some have said, but right now I'm left with a big hole in my heart that I feel nothing will be able to fill for a long long time. And yes I know every story driven game has an end. I just feel there was something missing that I can't yet put my finger on. Perhaps if it was a little more open world with the choice of side quests? But then again that could have destroyed the main story. It's a tough one alright, but that's just my thoughts on it all. Oh well, back to League of Legends I guess for now. :rolleyes:

I think you've answered your own question there. When's the last time you had the same feeling about a game? The fact that it's staying with you and has left so many conflicting emotions is some achievement. It's like one of those really fantastic films that's an absolute masterpiece, but is tough to watch more than once because it puts you through the wringer, but that doesn't take away from it I don't think personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

If anyone fancies some multiplayer add me, it's a lot of fun when in a good team. Balls when you get stuck with a bad team when you get higher up in population and need more supplies to keep em. Healing is a good way of getting parts too in multiplayer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm reluctant to comment in any substantial way until I've finished it, but certainly the first four or five hours are equal parts absolutely compelling and somewhat disappointing. The characterisation, while not actually groundbreaking in terms of wider literature / film etc..., is remarkable for a game. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say this offers an infinitely more engaging and credible world than Man of Steel - when a AAA game not only competes with but actually shames a competing AAA blockbuster in terms of storytelling and conjuring believable human beings, I think that's something Naughty Dog should be extra proud of. It shows how, with that extra effort, a familiar template (and really, there's nothing particularly unique about the world - they even indulge in a goddamn
    stealth vehicle
    in the first fifteen minutes :pac:) can become intoxicating and fresh.

Gameplay wise is where I'm mostly sold, but not entirely. Don't get me wrong - the 'combat' is incredibly tense and effective. The game makes you feel underpowered, like you're damn lucky to have gotten through an encounter against overpowered enemies. I also like that if things go to **** you can sometimes just leg it and that feels like a natural, acceptable choice. Still, it, for lack of a better word, is often distractingly 'separate' and contrived. For example, I'm navigating the city, and suddenly I encounter an open area with numerous low walls. There's no doubt about what's going to happen - I'm in a preordained combat room, one that is put there with no subtlety. The believability of the world is, temporarily, shattered. And in a game that actively avoids cheap distractions - no trophy pings! - do we really need pointless 'pendant' collectibles? There's a lot of things here that resists some of the more artificially 'gamier' elements of games in a quite refreshing way, it still can't fully shake off some excess baggage.

Again, I cannot form a conclusive opinion until I'm done, and alas have less time than I'd like to commit to it. But, based on the first maybe third or so, this is an excellent game that I am hopeful could still make that extra push towards greatness.

And Richard Dower - for the love of all that is good, stop watching it on youtube if it isn't too late. A game is meant to immerse you, to be played. You obviously have enough interest in it to experience it - don't do it in a ridiculously inferior manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A rose by any other name...

They were 'infected' as well in 28 days later.

LMAO, you're first post here since the game releases and it's back to this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just after finishing this.
    I was a little shocked at where it finished up. I thought we were going to another area. Surly set up for a sequel

Not really a spoiler but I dont want to ruin anything

Just after finishing this.
    I was a little shocked at where it finished up. I thought we were going to another area. Surly set up for a sequel

Not really a spoiler but I dont want to ruin anything

you did?!

I did what?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

its only released four days, jaysus!....i'd expect you to get 30-40 for it, but knowing Gamestop........:rolleyes:

May need the cash :-/

Im stuck on the bit
    where your hung upside down
    pain in the ass tbh.

• Advertisement

May need the cash :-/

Im stuck on the bit
    where your hung upside down
    pain in the ass tbh.

same happened me! aim for the clickers head. had to replay that so many times!

here, how many times did people here die on their playthroughs?? it's in the stats...

I'm embarrassed to reveal mine!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

mystic86 wrote: »
    here, how many times did people here die on their playthroughs?? it's in the stats...

I'm embarrassed to reveal mine!!! :)

Hard mode 55 deats on 1st playthrough. On hard+ now and just after
    Arriving at the hunter camp after the ambush and have only died once. Second time around tis pure easy

NotorietyH wrote: »
    If anyone fancies some multiplayer add me, it's a lot of fun when in a good team. Balls when you get stuck with a bad team when you get higher up in population and need more supplies to keep em. Healing is a good way of getting parts too in multiplayer.

Whats yer PSN tag and do ye have a mic. Add me "Timmyctc" need a good team on week three now and everyone I play with is AFK or braindead.

105 deaths. Yeah I suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Onto week 8 of multiplayer./ 4 weeks left till the gold trophy ~:3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I'v just reached
    winter
    and I have 30 deaths I think/

One thing that bugged me though, all through the game I had zero ally deaths, then after
    Henry and his kid died, I had two!

My perfect record! :mad:

Playing on hard, wish they would have given us Survivor from the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Keyzer wrote: »
    Agreed. This game is a masterpiece

It's a very good game, but I think calling it a masterpiece is a bit much tbh

COYVB wrote: »
    It's a very good game, but I think calling it a masterpiece is a bit much tbh

How about best game on the system? I would agree with that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

How about best game on the system? I would agree with that statement.

I've said before that, in my own opinion of course, it's not even Naughty Dog's best PS3 game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Didn't get much further tonight as I had to format my PS3 :(

Still got about 20 minutes past the point where I was and it was a good 20 minutes!

Hopefully, if I get home early I'll get 2-3 hours into the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I've said before that, in my own opinion of course, it's not even Naughty Dog's best PS3 game

You didn't answer this the last time. You've finished the game yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'm 78% of the way through so I've just reached
    Winter. Also if what I hope didn't happen happened my mind will be blown. Anyway don't tell me, I'll find out tomorrow presumably, although I don't think it did. I had to take a break for the night as I'm now a nervous wreck :pac:

Brilliantly brutal would be how I'd describe this game. I love it. Yet spend every moment stressed and paranoid.

Fair enough, what would you consider ND's best game?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheYardStick

I wasn't planning on buying this at all until hearing the stellar reviews it was getting. Now, having just finished the game, I must say that I'm left slightly disappointed. I love a game with a good story, and in most cases I'll shun good gameplay in favour of story (here's looking at you, Deadly Premonition!;)), but something about this tale just doesn't sit right with me. Obviously, the acting, animation and cut-scene direction were fantastic. The characters were played to near perfection, and probably among the best performances I've ever seen in a game, but to me the pacing seemed off in a big way.

The ending, while a nice bittersweet conclusion, I saw coming a long way off which probably dampened any emotional impact it would've had on me. I can think of a few better ways they could've wrapped it up, though most or all of them would eliminate any chance of a sequel, which could very well be in ND's plans.

The gameplay was alright. It was neither spectacular, nor bad. It was all it needed to be, it was far from the survival-horror game that a few had touted it as. The A.I. was ok. Enemies were decent and worked well in numbers, friendlies were a bit clumsy and got in my way often.

All in all, it tells a simple story with well crafted, complex characters and decent gameplay. If I was to give it marks out of 10, I'd probably give it an 8-8.5, which is by no means bad, as I'm generally hard pleased. If I was to compare it to a couple of other character driven post-apocalyptic games, I'd say it's better than Enslaved, but not as good as Telltale's The Walking Dead.

Disclaimer: All opinions stated are mine, and mine alone. Therefore they may not correlate with the opinions of you, or anyone else, and nor can you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Regarding a sequel:
    Naughty Dog have said that if they do do a sequel it won't be with Ellie and Joel.
    I'm slightly disappointed by that, I love those characters and I think there is more to be heard from their story.

SPOILER

Spoiler?

One section I didnt particularly care for was the
    part with the sniper. Moving between cover towards the house was fine, but then taking the rifle and protecting your group from the OMG! A new wave of enemies! Good thing I just got my hands on this sniper rifle :rolleyes: just felt so cliched, like I had played that section in various games at least 100 times before. Ah well, its just one section

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thinking of picking this up, i wasn't a massive fan of uncharted tho... Anyone else with the same opinion on the uncharted games think this is worth the hype ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Magill wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up, i wasn't a massive fan of uncharted tho... Anyone else with the same opinion on the uncharted games think this is worth the hype ?

I enjoyed Uncharted but didn't think they were amazing as everyone else did.
    But this is probably my favourite game on the PS3.

Advertisement