Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

There's something very satisfying about luring 3 clickers out into the open and frying all of them with a molotov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

C14N wrote: »
    It's fair enough that you don't like the game, but who are you to declare for certain that it doesn't deserve the hype and that it's not the game of the generation and so on? The point of things like Metacritic is to aggregate what most critics thought of the game and it seems to me like one individual coming along and just deciding that score is wrong mere days after the game's release is pretty arrogant.

It might be, but he's right. It's not even Naughty Dog's best game of the generation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

COYVB wrote: »
    It might be, but he's right. It's not even Naughty Dog's best game of the generation

I prefer it over the Uncharted series anyway. They're fun, but the story and immersiveness in this was far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Again, you're opinion (Uncharted 2 has a higher Metascore though so I guess in a lot of critics' opinions too, although I never really knew what made that one the stand-out game in the series).

I would personally put this far above Uncharted which I found to be pretty tedious and overly "safe" but that's an opinion, not a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

82% through, I think I'm going to stop for the evening. What a game, haven't been hooked like this for a long time. Will finish it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Gonna do a complete 180 on my earlier posts. After you push past the first act, get into open maps and are given more options to take down your enemies the game completely opens up. Now I'm hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Really hope I get this in the post tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just pasted the river scene and in the area beyond. At the area where
    Joel and the black kid gets separated from Ellie and the kids brother
    and i cant perform a single sneak attack on any of the Runners. Its like they all have a heightened sense of sound and turn around on me even when crouched and sneaking very slowly behind them. Anyone else have problems like this on the same area? Playing on hard by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

and i cant perform a single sneak attack on any of the Runners. Its like they all have a heightened sense of sound and turn around on me even when crouched and sneaking very slowly behind them. Anyone else have problems like this on the same area? Playing on hard by the way...

I trapped myself in a room with one entrance and just melee'd anything that came in. Killed them all. In fact thats what I did for most of the game :pac:
    On my next playthrough I'll try be stealthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I absolutely love uncharted, especially 2 and have finished it numerous times but it just doesn't match up here. Uncharted will always be a theme-park thrills ride of a game and for that it's the best there is, however for me personally this is by far the better game due to the narrative, maturity and emotion it invokes.

I was the same, even the clickers have heightened awareness due to them being sure of your presence. It's a fight or flight section for definite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I trapped myself in a room with one entrance and just melee'd anything that came in. Killed them all. In fact thats what I did for most of the game :pac:
    On my next playthrough I'll try be stealthier.

Yeah that's what I did at that part too, just melee, there was nothing else to do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Finished it there this morning. So so so so so good. The best game I've played + IMO the best game to date. So immersed in the story. Great narrative. Someone said a few posts up it reminded them of
    Spec Ops: The Line and I completely agree. Joel is obviously somewhat of an Anti-hero to begin with but as you get towards the end you see his ruthlessness and the fact he feels he needs Ellie more than the World deserves the cure.

I love the Uncharted series and I feel this JUST pips them at the top of the games of this generation (which HL2 is not of fwiw. If that was the case we could argue games ported to PS3 like Abe's Oddesy are This Generation ffs :pac: )

Favourite part had to be the part from the trailer where
    you're ambushed in the car and the ensuing battle while that song (I think it's Johnny Cash) plays in the background. Eerie as ****

Also RE: the AI I found it odd but like after about 40% of the game it seemed Ellie's AI just cops on and starts
    actually
    working, like when she starts saving you from attacks and like throwing bricks, and it only gets better when
    You give her the pistol.
    It was sorta annoying prior to all this.

Finally did anyone collect all of the notes/collectibles related to the guy
    ISH from the Sewers. I'm not sure if I got them all but I followed his story right the way out of the Sewers and into the neighbourhood after it. I wonder are there any more? I think one of the DLCs could be about him for some reason.

You just have to clear them all out by force really. They're all walking around far too fast for you to sneak up so you just have to kill them all in open combat. If you stick to the corner where you started and make a loud noise to get them to pour in at you, you can kill a lot with a Molotov or two.
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Finally did anyone collect all of the notes/collectibles related to the guy
    ISH from the Sewers. I'm not sure if I got them all but I followed his story right the way out of the Sewers and into the neighbourhood after it. I wonder are there any more? I think one of the DLCs could be about him for some reason.

I didn't get the achievement for all of them but I think I got the next award down for collecting notes. I thought the
    Ish thing was really interesting, especially when you start getting notes from others too. In the section after it there are some houses and one or two of these contain more notes about the whole incident. What I thought was most interesting was that after reading it, Joel actually commented on it himself which I've never seen in a game before; normally the player-character stays silent about anything they pick up.

Does anyone think there will be sequels?
    It seems very unlikely to me that they'll want to push on with Joel and Ellie's story but I could imagine other games being made in the same world or possibly a prequel that covers the 20 years between the outbreak and where the game really starts. I sort of hope there isn't though, I like how the game wraps up as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

You might want to spoiler that last paragraph man, I know there's nothing much there but it does give away
    that they both make it out alive

Personally I wouldn't like to see a sequel, it is what it is but a return to the world might be on the cards at some point for PS4, who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

The multiplayer is really good.

Big Knox wrote: »
    You might want to spoiler that last paragraph man, I know there's nothing much there but it does give away
    that they both make it out alive

Okay, spoilered it out now, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

The multiplayer is really good.

Just came on to say how much I was enjoying the multiplayer. Really like the persistence and impressed by how much of the single player game mechanics carry over.

Just finished the single player tonight. Incredible. Would have given it a standing ovation but I was too emotionally drained!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

C14N wrote: »
    Okay, spoilered it out now, just in case.

Wish I hadn't read it earlier. Time to unfollow the thread until I clear it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ok i haven't finished the game and i know everyone that has said don't rate it until the end, and one of my previous posts said i would not give it the 10 - one thing is for sure, it's an edge of your seat game, i was sweating a nervous sweat after every cut scene, dreading the fear ofgetting killed. You don't get that in every game that's for sure.

Lying in bed now and I swear i can hear clickers in the distance - hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Dat Truck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Just finished it...

Wow!!!

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eire126

Anybody else having trouble connecting to multiplayer? I press factions and it says its connecting but the bar never reaches all the way so it just stays on a screen saying connecting :(. I have to exit to the xmb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Only 34% in but I can safetly say it lives up to the hype for me, loving it! Can't wait to get back to it, haven't felt that way about a game in ages. I've put in 6 hours I think so really taking my time.

The music and graphics and sound in general are astonishing.
    It's SOOOO atmospheric, edge of the seat stuff.
    The combat feels great, such satisfaction crushing heads like watermelons(hard to type that and not seem a total psycho, damn you Walking Dead!:D ).
    The characters and story are brilliant in every way.
    Gotta wait a couple of days for another decent session in it though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Does anyone know if you can get this in Blanchardstown? I looked up argos and smyths last night and they both said out of stock? Not a big ps3 fan but dying to pick this up, A friend told me last night they are sold out everywhere? Haven't heard a game selling out in a along time.

Might just have to buy it on the psn store if i cant get a physical copy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does anyone know if you can get this in Blanchardstown? I looked up argos and smyths last night and they both said out of stock? Not a big ps3 fan but dying to pick this up, A friend told me last night they are sold out everywhere? Haven't heard a game selling out in a along time.

Might just have to buy it on the psn store if i cant get a physical copy

Would you buy online no?it could take hours to download depending on your net speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

I have 150mb with upc so hopefully it wont take too long, only problem is i dont even own a ps3 so am borrowing my gf's brothers one while he is away, was hoping to get a physical copy so i can at least trade it in when i finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Actually, before I unfollow, I entered the Sights and Sounds code into my PS3. It showed the content (2 avatars, a dynamic theme and full digital soundtrack). To be honest, I wouldn't change my avatar or background and as good as the music is, wouldn't listen to the soundtrack.

I pressed O instead of continue so I think the code can still be used.

Anyone (who actually liked the game and would use these) want to try it and take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Finished it last night. Excellent game with a great story and superb graphics and sound. I haven't played a game as good in ages. There are a few annoying things like the cap on the amount of ammo you can carry and you cant bring food with you when you have max health but they are only small things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I have 150mb with upc so hopefully it wont take too long, only problem is i dont even own a ps3 so am borrowing my gf's brothers one while he is away, was hoping to get a physical copy so i can at least trade it in when i finish.

Smyths off Jervis street (Just up the road from Toymaster) is where i got my copy. Give them a ring see if they have any left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Just 41% through it now, it's very bloody good. The acting is superb. Controls can be fiddly in places especially when you have a bunch of enemies on top of you, though that's probably more to do with me freaking out than anything else. It's rough going, whether it's the tension from sneaking around clickers or the story itself I do find myself having to turn it off every now and then because it's a little overwhelming. I'm playing it on hard so I'd imagine normal is probably a lot less intense. Enjoying the **** out of it though, think it deserves the ten for sure.

Advertisement