Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Still different generation games!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

cloud493 wrote: »
    Still different generation games!

last post on this,, and half life 2 is better.. the last of us is a good game, but no way near the hype it has been getting.. Its no way near the best game of this or the last generation..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

just finished the game. oh my god. what a game. slow clap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    last post on this,, and half life 2 is better.. the last of us is a good game, but no way near the hype it has been getting.. Its no way near the best game of this or the last generation..

Have you played the game from start to finish? If not your opinion is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Seeing as how you are so hell bent on getting your point across I will assume you have finished the game yes? Otherwise your opinion is absolutely pointless and you have just cluttered up the thread with 10+ posts of pure nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Big Knox wrote: »
    Seeing as how you are so hell bent on getting your point across I will assume you have finished the game yes? Otherwise your opinion is absolutely pointless and you have just cluttered up the thread with 10+ posts of pure nonsense...

According to his first post on the subject, he hasn't! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

At the pittsburgh part now the game defiantly picks up alot more as it goes on gameplay, story and characters are all blending in alot better now

The gunplay is brutal i like it you feel the impact of every shot punch and trow you do

Just dont want it to end yet how many chapters are in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What is with the level 4 infected?

And I'm finished. I was stressed from start to finish. Probably the most stressful game I've played in a long time and I mean that in a good way.

Just finished it. Simply put, no game has given me highs or lows like that before. The game drained me physically and emotionally which I didn't think was possible. Yes it has some slight issues but they are irrelevant in the overall picture.

10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

About 30% in now and while its getting better I'm still not that impressed.

There are things about the game Mike in which I would agree, definitely not a 10/10 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Perfect scores should be reserved to near perfect games and we should only see scores like that once every five years. But that's not the way it works. 10/10 merely means "very good game" nowadays. So you just have to roll with it.

The last of us is definitely a very good game. Even a truly excellent one. I'm a good chunk into the game now.
    I've met up with the black guy and his brother and we are trying to sneak across the bridge
    . Probably two thirds, maybe more....I'm sure somebody could tell me.

For me, it's deserving of the 10/10. There are small issues. The enemy not seeing your companion A.I. is an issue for sure. It breaks immersion a little bit.

You have moments where soldiers and infected literally walk right into them. Or they take cover on the wrong side of the door in plain sight of the enemy and they ignore them. It's an issue. But its a forgivable one. No game is perfect.

The excellent visuals, great sound design, enjoyable stealth and combat, incredible animations, zero loading time, great story and voice acting, the overall setting.....it more than makes up for the few flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Am I the only one that finds the combat very very frustrating & don't get me started on the clickers. I wanted to smash my TV I got so mad. I went back and re read Polygon's 7.5 review & I have to say they got it right.

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that finds the combat very very frustrating & don't get me started on the clickers. I wanted to smash my TV I got so mad. I went back and re read Polygon's 7.5 review & I have to say they got it right.

No. The combat and clickers are great. You don't want a game that is easy. Clickers are terrifying, and make for some really tense gameplay.

Did anybody else get
    freaked out during the basement part in the hotel i was examineing the Id card alot i just do that with everything for some reason lol and thought i heard something creeping up behind me i turn around and something runs away holy **** i was creeped out by the sounds of it lol it reminded me of something from the hills have eyes very well done the game derserves a 10/10 just for the sheer amount of love gone into it the graphics are insane

As a big survival horror fan who misses the glory years this is the best it gets for this gen for the consoles anyways

The game is not 100% perfect though i prefer the cover system in tomb raider it was more fluid with lara hideing behind everything herself

Still though last of us is making me care alot about joel and ellie at the end of the day its about the games overall package and the last of us has everything you need for the type of game it is

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

I know what you mean here.

I've only just started into the combat and at some bits I'm like "What do you want me to do here?"

Seems to be a set way to get through some areas but it gives very little hint as to what way.

QUite frustrsting.

I know what you mean here.

I've only just started into the combat and at some bits I'm like "What do you want me to do here?"

Seems to be a set way to get through some areas but it gives very little hint as to what way.

QUite frustrsting.

Once you figure it out and sort the clickers it gets easy as you go on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

biggebruv wrote: »
    Once you figure it out and sort the clickers it gets easy as you go on

This. On the first encounter with the clickers i must have died about 10 times but now im finding the stealth mode (R2) to be somewhat overpowered. Also the combat did feel very clunky for me at first but after a while it all clicks

It's a bit like Dark souls in that aspect. I'm not for one second comparing the difficulty....that would be madness. I just mean from a combat point of view. 90% of your deaths in Dark souls come in the first few hours of the game. You die over and over.

But after a few hours, even though the game gets a lot harder, you barely die at all. Because you are used to it. The longer you play Dark Souls, the better you get so the hardest parts in the game seem to be at the beginning where you don't know what to do. The Last of Us has that in common I think.

I still think that leaning skyscraper room is one of the toughest in the game and its only a few hours in. You have 4 runners and a clicker in the middle of the room while tess and Ellie wait for you to clear it. If I was to do it now, I would breeze past it. But back then I was so confused as to how to handle it. I died like a dozen times. Way, way more than in any other part of the game. You just learn and get better.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I still think that leaning skyscraper room is one of the toughest in the game and its only a few hours in. You have 4 runners and a clicker in the middle of the room while tess and Ellie wait for you to clear it. If I was to do it now, I would breeze past it. But back then I was so confused as to how to handle it. I died like a dozen times. Way, way more than in any other part of the game. You just learn and get better.

That part made me drop from hard to normal, regret doing it now as it seems so easy looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

From what I've seen so far the game seems to be a mix of Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider. Would this be accurate? I've seen a lot of 10/10 scores but nothing really to indicate what elevates it so far above the rest.

Lads please hold off discussing if the game warrants the scores until you finish it. Personally I really enjoyed the combat and found it hit the right cord but I completely understand some people not enjoying it as such. However the games strength and the real reason it has scored so high lies in the narrative and character development which needs to be seen through to the very end. Once you see the credits roll I would all but guarantee a lot of the mixed opinions will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Shivs are probably the most precious things in the game, especially when dealing with clickers. But then you have to decide if your going use one to take out a clicker or hold on to it to open a locked door later on. I find myself trying to sneak past clickers more and more as the game goes on just to save them.

I should be sneaking past them a lot more. That basement level has got me with the bloody
    bloater
    :mad:

Clickers are very easy to avoid. The only problem comes from random runners that can mess things up so use the bow to silently kill any runners in the pack then move past the clickers. The key is to do a slow crouch and don't hit or interact with anything in the environment.

If it's an opposite style group with lots of runners and a random clicker, always kill the clicker first, preferably with a molotov to draw the attention of the rest then a well placed nail bomb can finish the job very quickly as they will be grouped and most of them will already be on fire.

The supplement upgrade to shiv off a clicker is also well worth the investment. I initially wasn't going to pick it up as my train of thought was if a clicker grabs you you have already failed but later in the game some encounters get messy and it can be the difference between making it through or restarting and losing the last 10 minutes.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Clickers are very easy to avoid. The only problem comes from random runners that can mess things up so use the bow to silently kill any runners in the pack then move past the clickers. The key is to do a slow crouch and don't hit or interact with anything in the environment.

If it's an opposite style group with lots of runners and a random clicker, always kill the clicker first, preferably with a molotov to draw the attention of the rest then a well placed nail bomb can finish the job very quickly as they will be grouped and most of them will already be on fire.

The supplement upgrade to shiv off a clicker is also well worth the investment. I initially wasn't going to pick it up as my train of thought was if a clicker grabs you you have already failed but later in the game some encounters get messy and it can be the difference between making it through or restarting and losing the last 10 minutes.

Well I recognised early on that the clicker shiv upgrade to get them off you is what I wanted so 75 pills or not, I was determined to save for it. It was the first upgrade I got followed by two to the sound ability and then one to weapon sway. I'm currently saving for the HP upgrade.

Well I recognised early on that the clicker shiv upgrade to get them off you is what I wanted so 75 pills or not, I was determined to save for it. It was the first upgrade I got followed by two to the sound ability and then one to weapon sway. I'm currently saving for the HP upgrade.

I prioritised the hp upgrade figuring the infected do more damage on hard so it would be needed from early on. 2 in sound is more than enough. I had 3 by the end of the game but it wasn't necessary and 1 in weapon sway is also enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

AHHHH

Huge spoiler
    Joel has just got ****ing impaled on a piece of rebar. Nooooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It's fair enough that you don't like the game, but who are you to declare for certain that it doesn't deserve the hype and that it's not the game of the generation and so on? The point of things like Metacritic is to aggregate what most critics thought of the game and it seems to me like one individual coming along and just deciding that score is wrong mere days after the game's release is pretty arrogant.

I got the impression that the combat is deliberately frustrating so that you don't do it where possible. Especially at the beginning, trying to play this like a third-person shooter is just suicide but that's because this is a stealth/survival horror game, not a normal shooter. If it had nice fluid shooting combat then all tension would be killed, and if there's one thing this game does right, it's the tension. Whenever I finished up the game, I was still shaking slightly.
    It's a bit like Dark souls in that aspect. I'm not for one second comparing the difficulty....that would be madness. I just mean from a combat point of view. 90% of your deaths in Dark souls come in the first few hours of the game. You die over and over.

But after a few hours, even though the game gets a lot harder, you barely die at all. Because you are used to it. The longer you play Dark Souls, the better you get so the hardest parts in the game seem to be at the beginning where you don't know what to do. The Last of Us has that in common I think.

I definitely agree. At the start of the game you have one measly pistol and usually less than 10 rounds in it which makes the game much harder. By the end, you have a lot of weapons and they're upgraded along the way so it's not as hard to kill all the enemies in an area (although it's still the case that just playing like a normal shooter is a very bad idea).

I finished it this morning, took about 15 hours. It was a distressing ending that I still haven't cheered up from but it was absolutely terrific and unlike almost any video game I've ever played. Apart from
    Spec Ops: The Line, I've never seen a game that makes it so clear that the person you thought was the protagonist is the worst person in the story. Even then it was different because in Spec Ops, you start out as the bad guy and it's just not really shown until the end. In this, you start out as something of a bad guy and near the end you start to feel hope for Joel and that he might become a good man again until near the end when he is clearly shown to be evil. I personally think the turning point was when he tied up the two guys and tortured them but I'm sure if I was paying attention, there were signs earlier. I kind of thought it was a bit like Breaking Bad in this way.

If I was going on a scale out of 100 (like IGN), I would have a hard time giving it the full 100 score but out 10 (like Edge) it would probably be a 10 from me and most likely one of the top 5 games of this generation. I still maintain that it was terrifying, intense, stressful and not very much fun but I think it's a good thing that video games can explore other emotions besides cathartic fun and thrills.

Quick tip, when fighting bloaters, use fire. They seem to be susceptible to that. I fought the first one with the pistol and shotgun and nearly used up all my ammo but if you set one on fire, they go down way faster.

Advertisement