Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

In fact, I think that such red flashes, if they're reflective, would be illegal in the UK. A reflective surface is treated as a light by law and a white light source on the rear, except when reversing, and a red source on the front is illegal. That's why their rear numberplate isn't white.

I think its uk and Irish and thing that the red signifies the armed members on board.
    The met in london just purchase completely red BMW or opel zafiras for there ARV units.
    As oppose to the psni where everyone is armed so no need for specific markings

The red cars are Diplomatic Protection Group, different group to the armed response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Lads I said " i think" not "i know" lol
    Cheers for that though.
    insignia estates are on the quays what engine are in those is cdti ir petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Lads I said " i think" not "i know" lol
    Cheers for that though.
    insignia estates are on the quays what engine are in those is cdti ir petrol?

2.0 twin turbo diesel. Think they're 190bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

D Trent wrote: »
    I think its uk and Irish and thing that the red signifies the armed members on board.
    The met in london just purchase completely red BMW or opel zafiras for there ARV units.
    As oppose to the psni where everyone is armed so no need for specific markings

The 'law' here re reflective marking - white front/yellow side / red rear , seems to be gone out the window (doesn't apply to state vehicles)

I think at this point is just 'an Irish thing', the UK have given up putting it on vehicles once the public got used to armed police, same will happen here after a while :rolleyes:

The Met DPG (Diplomatic Protection Group) have had red marked units for the last 20 years at least https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2864/10950581813_8538ab8259_b.jpg http://www.policecaruk.com/Members/Modelzone/files/CORGI10.jpg and AFIK they were always armed

Essex and Transport police seem to use black http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7117/7549588414_5e38fa6663.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/474/18622707478_581d46b76c_b.jpg

There's so many colours on the units now we'll soon have pink for LGBT members on board, brown for African members, red/gold for Oriental ......
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/11/24936FBE00000578-0-image-a-58_1420939394735.jpg Extra Jewish security patrol cars and police were out in force in North-West London yesterday following the kosher store siege in Paris. The cars look very similar to police vehicles and bear the security group’s name ‘Shomrim’ – Hebrew for ‘guards’ – along the sides and back.
    (' look very similar to police vehicles' - but where is the line drawn at 'impersonating police/gardai ' these days with flashing white strobes / 'POLITE' on hi-vis etc - is it getting more dangerous when members of the public 'impersonate' a police vehicle / police are mistaken for criminals or vice versa - Regency job :confused: )

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    The 'law' here re reflective marking - white front/yellow side / red rear , seems to be gone out the window (doesn't apply to state vehicles)

I think at this point is just 'an Irish thing', the UK have given up putting it on vehicles once the public got used to armed police, same will happen here after a while :rolleyes:

The Met DPG (Diplomatic Protection Group) have had red marked units for the last 20 years at least https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2864/10950581813_8538ab8259_b.jpg http://www.policecaruk.com/Members/Modelzone/files/CORGI10.jpg and AFIK they were always armed

Essex and Transport police seem to use black http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7117/7549588414_5e38fa6663.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/474/18622707478_581d46b76c_b.jpg

There's so many colours on the units now we'll soon have pink for LGBT members on board, brown for African members, red/gold for Oriental ......
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/11/24936FBE00000578-0-image-a-58_1420939394735.jpg Extra Jewish security patrol cars and police were out in force in North-West London yesterday following the kosher store siege in Paris. The cars look very similar to police vehicles and bear the security group’s name ‘Shomrim’ – Hebrew for ‘guards’ – along the sides and back.
    (' look very similar to police vehicles' - but where is the line drawn at 'impersonating police/gardai ' these days with flashing white strobes / 'POLITE' on hi-vis etc - is it getting more dangerous when members of the public 'impersonate' a police vehicle / police are mistaken for criminals or vice versa - Regency job :confused: )

Very accurate well done cheers for that, the polite vest is extremely close to mimicking a members vest!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I needs to get me a shomrim.....

Seen the Q7 up close today the red doesn't look that bad at all the photo doesn't do it justice (pun very much intended)

Seen the Q7 up close today the red doesn't look that bad at all the photo doesn't do it justice (pun very much intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Red line shows its not traffic before you see armed support

Scroll bar in window looks great too!

• Advertisement

Q7 and an unmarked brown Passat at Seville place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

There's a video of that passat on YouTube. Dunno who it belongs to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Lads that link needs to in the other thread.
    Photos/vids
    this thread is discussion only just a heads up

I tried to snap a few photos but the taxi i was in was turning right i couldnt get the shot just goes to show the management are coping on to the ah thats mondeo/hyundai its a garda car i think they'll expect Members getting out of passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

The assistant commisioner rocked up in an i40 today, he must think they are a grand car if he's driving one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Boaty wrote: »
    The assistant commisioner rocked up in an i40 today, he must think they are a grand car if he's driving one.

Easy knowing he's not using one operationally..

rocky911 wrote: »

Superintendent upward wouldn't be using an operational car. Probably using a compol car no equipment in it bar the lights etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Superintendent upward wouldn't be using an operational car. Probably using a compol car no equipment in it bar the lights etc...
    I think the car in question is an unmarked i40

Compol never use unmarked afaik

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Boaty wrote: »

A black i40? There goes the theory that the brass/fraud/cybercrime/...... get all the Insignia 4x4's, Superbs, while the 'workers' get Focus/i30's/..... ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha. Compol cars are marked. AC decides where vehicles go in their region. Don't think they don't keep the good stuff for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Will they ever use the BMW m5 they have in lock up??? There are a few.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Compol cars are marked. AC decides where vehicles go in their region. Don't think they don't keep the good stuff for themselves.

I meant with lights and markings unfortunate timing for a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Boscorelli

I meant with lights and markings unfortunate timing for a typo

CP often use unmarked vehicles. All are equipped just like any other patrol vehicle.

Boscorelli wrote: »
    CP often use unmarked vehicles. All are equipped just like any other patrol vehicle.

The ones i know of do not have a tetra in it.
    They don't have required dashmaster either but again im only speaking of the ones i know off I can't say for others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

The ones i know of do not have a tetra in it.
    They don't have required dashmaster either but again im only speaking of the ones i know off I can't say for others

Tetra normally in glove box and lightcontrol in an ashtray or on the side of the drivers footwell on some models.

Tetra normally in glove box and lightcontrol in an ashtray or on the side of the drivers footwell on some models.

Except in the cars that don't have them fitted.

• Advertisement

i can honestly say they where definitely not in the car i seen

Advertisement