Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

carzony wrote: »
    I read it on here I think. No big vans seemed to have been bought in the last while so it could be true... Given the huge mileage expected on the vans I'm sure they last a while..

Foreign: Read through my posts and can't find where I read they are finished buying big vans. I referenced it a good few times but not sure where I originally got that info from ;(

The ol different colour strobes are getting very popular among people outside of the emergency services not sure that's a good thing.

Is there anything illegal about using red led's for normal work vehicles? I thought they were only allowed use amber?

Rumour before when connects where coming out but that wasn't true

They need to transit like Pearse street small wheel based

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

New Audi Q7 on the rte news.. Look really good

Screen shot from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Nice white car to stick out like a sore thumb, would they not go with silver or black like most of the Q7s in Ireland.

Looks like something borrowed from the dealership.

• Advertisement

Avada wrote: »
    Nice white car to stick out like a sore thumb, would they not go with silver or black like most of the Q7s in Ireland.

It will be a marked RSU vechile so can be white because of the battenburgs applied to it

It's a sample of the Audi shown others are being kitted out in German at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

POGAN wrote: »
    It will be a marked RSU vechile so can be white because of the battenburgs applied to it

It's a sample of the Audi shown others are being kitted out in German at the moment

Cheers for clarifying pogan

foreign wrote: »

I'd say it's probably something there just for the sake of a news story. 'That's what's to come' kind of story.. Really nice alloys though.

foreign wrote: »

Alloys will be wrecked on the country road

Alloys will be wrecked on the country road

I'm sure they'll be changed to something stronger eventually? Alloys like those are known to be a lot weaker, pity cause they look so good:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I can only imagine the alloys on the Q7 will go in favour of much smaller ones from a base spec model much like on the X5

I'd say it's probably something there just for the sake of a news story. 'That's what's to come' kind of story.. Really nice alloys though.

Something to take away from the second hand vehicles there and the Hyundai's. I'm sure the criminals were quaking when they saw the mountain bikes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I hope it's not the cynic in me, but Paul Reynolds and the rest of the PR department are effectively dressing up a planned fleet replacement and making it look like the panacea for all rural crime.
    Are these admittedly nice cars not replacing the aging RSU Volvos? I predict one or two highly publicised check points on the N7 with Reynolds breathlessly reading his briefing notes from HQ with plenty of flashing blue lights and H&K's in the background.
    Additional Gardai are the only solution to crime and 12 luxury SUV's are only the flimsiest of plasters.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I hope it's not the cynic in me, but Paul Reynolds and the rest of the PR department are effectively dressing up a planned fleet replacement and making it look like the panacea for all rural crime.
    Are these admittedly nice cars not replacing the aging RSU Volvos? I predict one or two highly publicised check points on the N7 with Reynolds breathlessly reading his briefing notes from HQ with plenty of flashing blue lights and H&K's in the background.
    Additional Gardai are the only solution to crime and 12 luxury SUV's are only the flimsiest of plasters.

Yes they are replacing xc70 and there will more Audi and BMW for others units also.

There will be new vans, bikes, 4x4s and more coming in over next couple months no they won't be BMW or audis but they are needed

It's a start for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yes they are replacing xc70 and there will more Audi and BMW for others units also.

There will be new vans, bikes, 4x4s and more coming in over next couple months no they won't be BMW or audis but they are needed

It's a start for now

Pogan, what bikes are they going using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

ratracer wrote: »
    Pogan, what bikes are they going using?

BMW isn't it.
    They were on trial first 6 months of this yr

D Trent wrote: »
    BMW isn't it.
    They were on trial first 6 months of this yr

I think BMW bikes but believe it when I see it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not looking to know the technical specs or anything, but will the likes of the 141 BMW make a difference in a pursuit?

And are the replacement for the 2008 RSU Volvos simply 'new' 2012 ones?

https://twitter.com/JulietteGash/status/661129803232387072

Not looking to know the technical specs or anything, but will the likes of the 141 BMW make a difference in a pursuit?

And are the replacement for the 2008 RSU Volvos simply 'new' 2012 ones?

https://twitter.com/JulietteGash/status/661129803232387072

Higher performance fleet is better and safer in a chase

There was 4 ex thamas valley cars puchased last year due need replace some the xc70s before mass replacement. But the Audi Q7s will replace all RSU units over coming months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

We got it the first time:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note: ODEON123 permanently banned from the ES family of forums for re-registering a new account in order to evade the 3-month ban imposed here.

-Shield.

It's 132 ford mondeo estate 6 or so them they are the last of 2.2 diesel mondeos

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gardais-new-d4-tractors-cant-catch-hot-wheeled-burglary-gangs

some very valid points in the article.. first criticism i've seen regarding the new fleet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gardais-new-d4-tractors-cant-catch-hot-wheeled-burglary-gangs

some very valid points in the article.. first criticism i've seen regarding the new fleet...

Whatever about the rationality of the purchases as opposed to re-opening rural stations or taking on more recruits, that article is utter rubbish.

A three litre twin turbo diesel with 300+ bhp from an X5 or (albeit slightly lower) 270 from the Audi with trained drivers and almost double the amounts of torque (of the Golf) will fair pretty well on a stretch of motorway up against a driver who more than likely has little or no experience in handling a car in such conditions

But yeah, lets just buy Bugatti Veyrons and Aston Martins instead, like the lads in Dubai :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Redicious article. Comparing 0-60 times where there is less then 2 seconds between two different cars is pointless. Under 7 seconds for the new 4x4's is very impressive.

When I was abroad in the UK recently I only seen 4 traffic cars on my travels, a 3 series, a Discovery and two X5's, the British police were never ones to chose bad cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Also, the Gardaí will have been trained to get the maximum performance out of the car, the criminal probably won't.
    The cynical side of me thinks The Sunday World wrote up that article to encourage organised gangs to keep going because without a gangland "Love/Hate" culture in Ireland the Sunday World goes out of business.

Ridiculous article it's not x5 they are 5 series.

It's needed resource to replace older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Why is that X5 an import, though?

PeteK* wrote: »
    Why is that X5 an import, though?

Ex demonstrator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Did that little rag of a paper even mention the weight of the equipment that the RSU have to carry around with them?

Advertisement